As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

pre-pax video game discussion for east 2014

• Options
    BinaryTBBinaryTB Registered User regular
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    Also, if you are talking about the carnival food on the ground floor, then yes, I agree. Get rid of that stuff. I wonder, are there rules that state you can't drive a vehicle into that building? Having food trucks inside could possibly be a way to get around any possible law or rule that might be in place.

I'm not positive on this, but I thought those dessert/funnel-cake/ice-cream vendors on the ground floor were trucks?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2013
    So food is off topic for this thread, this isn't a general suggestions thread of any sort. It's more of a "hopes and dreams and reminiscing" about the video game part of the equation from the past and for the future.

Also this isn't for tabletop either. There's an entire thread for tabletop. Either way, the general suggestions/criticism thread was a long time ago, right after pax east 2013.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    TinksTinks Registered User regular
    You must have altered your original post. It was confusing before because it looked as if you wanted suggestions for how to improve things. I wasn't the only one thinking that either I don't think.
    Now it's just about games so it's clear.

The only thing I don't expect to be at PAX, which has already been mentioned, is Occulus Rift. I'm most curious to try that in some capacity and it'd be the only big surprise I'd have if it were playable. Everyone is raving about it here and there. I would love for it to be at the con.

• Options
    Nope, I haven't edited the OP at all. When a post is edited, you can see a little edit tag that describes when.

• Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Rift was playable at Prime (Occulus devs had a full booth, and some other developers' games making use of it had sets at their booths as well), so it's not at all a given for it "not to be expected" at East. I'd be surprised the other way around, if it weren't playable.

• Options
    PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    Rift was playable at Prime (Occulus devs had a full booth, and some other developers' games making use of it had sets at their booths as well), so it's not at all a given for it "not to be expected" at East. I'd be surprised the other way around, if it weren't playable.

Yeah I second that. Oculus not at East would be a mistake. It is an impressive technology and their target audience will be at East.

• Options
    ChoujicosplayerChoujicosplayer Cape Cod, MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I'd like to see Valve, Activision, Electronic Arts, and deffinitly 2K/Gearbox. This being my first year, im not quite sure if they've made an appearance already...which makes me think they would be less likely to show up this year v_v;

Choujicosplayer on
    Get some cookies, so you can eat 'em and grow up big and strong and kick Piston in the butt-butt.
  • Options
    OfficeZombieOfficeZombie Registered User regular
    I hope there's a playable demo of The Division

• Options
    ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    By PAX East the new console race will be in full swing. I can't wait to see what Sony and Microsoft are working on next as far as exclusive titles go.

There should be a few titles either announced (Uncharted 4/new IP's) at the VGA's or at hopefully given updates (Last Guardian/Halo 5?). And by time PAX East rolls around I hope to see them on the show floor.

My hopefuls right now would be:
    Halo 5
    Uncharted 4
    The Division
    Destiny (although Activision is historically absent from PAX)
    New Zelda title
    Tomb Raider 2

• Options
    Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    I'm looking forward to Transistor. Missed it last year, so I'm hopeful they will be there again. Also curious if the CAH guys will announce something again (another deck, pack, box...etc.)

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
  • Options
    CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular
    For games, as always the indie games get me every time. I usually spend about six hours or so playing the latest indie game creations. Last year it was Organ Trail that got all three of us downloading it and playing it on our devices.

I always enjoy the smaller companies in the tabletop area. We spent a lot of time over there last year, and played a great card game called Flame War, based on forum moderation. As someone who has done game support for many years, this just plucked at my heart strings.

Also the retro arcade area. ACAM puts on a great show and I love the old games they bring. Bring more pinball machines! If anyone from ACAm is reading this, please make a Pinball wall where it's all Pinball machines.

e2TtnRd.png
  • Options
    laivindillaivindil Registered User regular
    Like many others, I am hoping someone has an Oculus Rift on demo there. Or their own booth, I would love to check out a bunch of games on it.

I am also hoping to see Gearbox bring Homeworld. I can't wait to see the remakes (and 3 someday!) and what they have taken on in terms of changes or if it will just be a fresh coat of HD.

PAX East 2012 Attendee. Also going to East 13.
  • Options
    TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    I hope there's a playable demo of The Division

I'm REALLY looking forward to this game based on the announcement demo so I'd love to see it on the floor, too. I love the surprise of finding out what's there when the day actually comes, but I have yet to spend more than 10-15 minutes in line for anything on the expo floor so big name titles are not what I typically see. There's always so much to see that I find I'd rather see more instead of standing in lines and so far it has worked out for me. Getting to see some of the smaller companies/titles and the indies is a great experience.

JQ1qRPt.png
  • Options
    LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    laivindil wrote: »
    Like many others, I am hoping someone has an Oculus Rift on demo there. Or their own booth, I would love to check out a bunch of games on it.

I can't speak for East, but Prime had a bunch of Oculus Rift demos going on around the show. I'd say there's a great chance you'll get to finally try it out in April :D It's definitely something to experience.

Lazorz on
  • Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    Maybe Watchdogs will be there ... with the delay in release now to 2014 perhaps there will some demos of that

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    AnarCHrisAnarCHris Trash Lord New York CityRegistered User regular
    I'd like to see Valve, Activision, Electronic Arts, and deffinitly 2K/Gearbox. This being my first year, im not quite sure if they've made an appearance already...which makes me think they would be less likely to show up this year v_v;

2K/Gearbox are annual fixtures, even if they don't always have booths. I imagine there will be some Borderlands 2 DLC love at the very least.
    aBByNormaL wrote: »
    Maybe Watchdogs will be there ... with the delay in release now to 2014 perhaps there will some demos of that

Watchdogs was also there earlier this year, so I'm not sure if that will be Ubi's big game, or the eventual ASS CREED sequel.

I'm hoping for some indie/Capcom/Nintendo love once again personally. Game room wise, as long as there's a working DreamCast I'm good.

• Options
    2K/Gearbox are annual fixtures, even if they don't always have booths. I imagine there will be some Borderlands 2 DLC love at the very least.

That would be great ... luv'd BL2 ...

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    I want to see the following on the PS4.
    They are listed in order of the excitement I currently have for each game.
    KINGDOM HEARTS III
    Watch Dogs
    Uncharted 4
    The Order: 1886
    Tomb Raider 2
    The Division
    The Evil Within
    Wolfenstein: The New Order
    Destiny
    Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes

I also play a lot of PC games, but I can't find any titles that I am excited about that are launching after April 2014 except for Half Life 3.

Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    scottyb1218scottyb1218 BostonRegistered User regular
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    I also play a lot of PC games, but I can't find any titles that I am excited about that are launching after April 2014 except for Half Life 3.

Kingdom Hearts THREE is coming out.

HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED

sig.php?id=222
  • Options
    GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    Typically Ubisoft doesn't have playable demos of their games. Typically the companies you can count on being present are Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, 2K, Irrational and Gearbox, but who knows what next year will look like.

And I mean that with certainty. I have no clue what they're going to be showing off next year. Even the 2014 in video gaming Wikipedia page is more scarce than typically at this time of year. However, if dreams do come true, there's a possibility Nintendo will have the greatest corner of all with Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros.

Hopefully. No one can say for certain, especially since I don't think they ever gave a concrete release window for Smash Bros.

I would guess at Bioware running a panel to promote Dragon Age: Inquisition, as they also tend to have a big presence at PAX East.

On the whole, though, all you can count on right now are a bunch of indie studios being more and more crowded as they become more and more well known.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • Options
    CatalepticalCataleptical New JerseyRegistered User regular
    AnarCHris wrote: »

Although 2K was there last year, they didn't do nearly as much as the year before. A broadcasting booth? Meh. With as many properties as it has under its belt, they could have stepped it up a bit.

Even though the 2K games have all pretty much come out (eg, Bioshock, GTA, sports franchises), I'm hoping that it'll at least hype up the DLC.

Did I really just say something positive about DLC? Oof.

The indies made a great showing last year, and I can't wait for a bigger and even better megabooth. Let's be honest, we spend way too much time on our phones anyway. May as well look for some more goodies.

379by4cj0i1l.png
  • Options

At least it was not supportive of Day 1 DLC !!

• Options
    mindflare77mindflare77 OhioRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I'm really hoping Bioware and Gearbox have big presences. I'm coming with a friend, and it'll be the first con for both of us. She's excited for Bioware possibilities. When is a list of attending companies usually released (if at all)?

mindflare77 on
    8BFpSWC.png

PSN/Steam: mindflare77
  • Options
    CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Although 2K was there last year, they didn't do nearly as much as the year before. A broadcasting booth? Meh. With as many properties as it has under its belt, they could have stepped it up a bit.

They had a big presence at PAX Prime this year, so I hope that they'll carry that over to PAX East as well.

e2TtnRd.png
  • Options

Even though the 2K games have all pretty much come out (eg, Bioshock, GTA, sports franchises), I'm hoping that it'll at least hype up the DLC.

The indies made a great showing last year, and I can't wait for a bigger and even better megabooth. Let's be honest, we spend way too much time on our phones anyway. May as well look for some more goodies.

The Borderlands 2 panel was GREAT, and got me free DLC, which was nice. Plus the BSI panel was cool And I really liked the live NBA 2K14 throwndowns, which can be a entertaining as a good Street Fighter match if done right.
    I'm really hoping Bioware and Gearbox have big presences. I'm coming with a friend, and it'll be the first con for both of us. She's excited for Bioware possibilities. When is a list of attending companies usually released (if at all)?

The list of exhibitors/vendors is usually posted online a month before the show.

• Options
    Well now that Uncharted 4 has been officially announced I am pumped. I can't wait to see what Naughty Dog has in store with next gen hardware. They're graphical prowess is untouchable so expect UC4 to be nice on the eyes at East this year :)

As far as companies, I don't think I've ever seen an EA or Activision booth (could be wrong, but I don't remember). Gearbox usually has a strong presence at PAX so those of you that want to see them won't need to be concerned.

I am really excited for Tansistor. That game had really tight controls at Pax Prime so I'm expecting that game to be one to look out for.

• Options
    grayfawkesgrayfawkes Registered User regular
    I hope Star Citizen, HD Oculus Rift, and Metal Gear Phantom Pain is there. Those are the main things I'm excited for atm.

PAX East 2015:
    3 Single Day Passes [x]
    Hotel [x]
    Flights [x]
    Packed []
    Excitement[x]
    ————————————
    PAX East 12'
    PAX East 13'
    PAX East 14'
    PAX East 15'
  • Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    PurpleSky wrote: »

As far as companies, I don't think I've ever seen an EA or Activision booth (could be wrong, but I don't remember). Gearbox usually has a strong presence at PAX so those of you that want to see them won't need to be concerned.

EA's been present pretty much every year as I recall...not necessarily under the EA name, mind (I recall their booth one was was pretty much a booth for The Secret World and Funcom-branded, but EA published it).

Last year was an anomaly in that Blizzard had a booth (As Activision and their various partners/sub-brands aren't usually around).

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    koolarookoolaroo Registered User regular
    If I can get my hand on the Oculus Rift I will be happy. Mostly because I want to see if the thing would make me motion sick before I commit to buying one.

• Options
    OfficeZombieOfficeZombie Registered User regular
    Well now that Bethesda is teasing of a fallout in the Boston area it'd be great to see it on display at PAX

• Options
    grayfawkesgrayfawkes Registered User regular
    koolaroo wrote: »
    If I can get my hand on the Oculus Rift I will be happy. Mostly because I want to see if the thing would make me motion sick before I commit to buying one.

I was going to say the same, but I broke down and ordered a Dev Kit today. :| I do hope the have the HD version there though.

PAX East 2015:
    3 Single Day Passes [x]
    Hotel [x]
    Flights [x]
    Packed []
    Excitement[x]
    ————————————
    PAX East 12'
    PAX East 13'
    PAX East 14'
    PAX East 15'
  • Options
    laivindillaivindil Registered User regular
    grayfawkes wrote: »
    koolaroo wrote: »

I was going to say the same, but I broke down and ordered a Dev Kit today. :| I do hope the have the HD version there though.

FWIW, I have heard the vast majority get over it (although how long is another factor). If you get motion sick from other things the outlook may not be good though.

I also should have included the two MGS games coming, I really want to learn more about the whole "GT5"Prologue" kinda thing they have going on. And more generally, seeing something from Sony and Microsoft of the future plans for their consoles would be cool. I'm sitting on the sideline for a bit on those.

PAX East 2012 Attendee. Also going to East 13.
  • Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    So, rumors are abuzz that Fallout 4 is pending announcement and will be set...in the Boston wasteland. Anyone willing to place bets at its presence for PAX East 2014?

LoonyEclipse on
    My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    VGVideoGalaxyVGVideoGalaxy Northern VirginiaRegistered User regular
    So, rumors are abuzz that Fallout 4 is pending announcement and will be set...in the Boston wasteland. Anyone willing to place bets at its presence for PAX East 2014?

This will be one hell of a good PAX if Fallout 4 is there. Make it happen Bethesda!

• Options
    DarkshowersDarkshowers Registered User regular
    Not planning on getting any of the new consoles anytime soon, but I am excited to see The Evil Within by the creator of the original Resident Evil. Last gen, I felt there was a lack of scary survival horror games so I have high expectations for this game.

Aside from that, perhaps the recently announced Telltale Borderlands Adventure game or the new zombie game Dying Light by the same company that made the Dead Island series.

Seeing a new Killer Instinct game on Xbox One got me very excited so I would like to see a new fighting game announced such as a modern Darkstalkers or Battle Arena Toshiden, but it probably won't happen.

Ds3hsEH.png
  • Options
    Not planning on getting any of the new consoles anytime soon, but I am excited to see The Evil Within by the creator of the original Resident Evil. Last gen, I felt there was a lack of scary survival horror games so I have high expectations for this game.

Aside from that, perhaps the recently announced Telltale Borderlands Adventure game or the new zombie game Dying Light by the same company that made the Dead Island series.

Seeing a new Killer Instinct game on Xbox One got me very excited so I would like to see a new fighting game announced such as a modern Darkstalkers or Battle Arena Toshiden, but it probably won't happen.

I'm 100% okay-fine with seeing The Evil Within and/or TT's Borderland Adventures at PAX East in a few months, although I THINK T.E.W. and Dying Light are both supposed to drop before April. I could be wrong though.

• Options
    DarkshowersDarkshowers Registered User regular

I'm 100% okay-fine with seeing The Evil Within and/or TT's Borderland Adventures at PAX East in a few months, although I THINK T.E.W. and Dying Light are both supposed to drop before April. I could be wrong though.

Really? All websites I go to point to TBA in 2014 but it's possible it comes out before PAX. Even if it comes out earlier, I wouldn't get either game for awhile so I could play them at PAX. I prefer they spend more time refining the game rather then releasing a buggy mess (Dead Island).

Ds3hsEH.png
  • Options
    Anyone know if Valve's Steam boxes will appear? I would really like to try their controller but Valve hasn't had a PAX booth since Portal 2. They'd be dumb not to be at this PAX but you never know :(

• Options
    They're announcing more about the steam boxes at CES. I would think that PAX East would be a good destination for them to show off the steam boxes and steam controller, but I haven't heard anything yet. There's still a long way to go till the con though.

• Options
    miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    PurpleSky wrote: »
    Anyone know if Valve's Steam boxes will appear? I would really like to try their controller but Valve hasn't had a PAX booth since Portal 2. They'd be dumb not to be at this PAX but you never know :(

I'd be really surprised if the Steambox wasn't there in some form. I think (err hope at least) that there will be a lot of the newer hardwares making an appearance. From the next gen consoles, to the SteamBox to the Oculus Rift. Perhaps even others as well that I'm sure I'm missing.

As I said I'm super hoping for Valve, perhaps Overkill and as usual the awesome Indie Megabooth. I'm hoping for Watch Dogs (again). Any other new IP's would be awesome as well. Hoping for more Vita and PS4 exclusives too. I'm sort of hoping that Blizzard and Elder Scrolls online won't be there....or if they are, that they are far from each other. Last year trying to make my way around that area was a nightmare, and the only time I got to even see footage of others playing was when I went down with Moe Fwacky and Atomic Gary Busey for them to pick up some merch.

This year I'm definitely hoping to spend some more time in the tabletop area as well. Playing some games with Moe, AGB, Frugus, Zerzhul and some others really got me into it, and this past semester I've indulged myself in tabletop games, so hopefully I'll find some new cool games, or even just have fun playing games with others.

Anyone know if the Pax Pokemon League this year will still be using original DS? I love the concept and it's something I meant to do last year but didn't have the time or energy. I also only have the OG DS and Vita and don't really want to have to try to get a 3ds :/

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525