As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Malifaux]2 Ed- Ripples of Fate! Victorian Horror skirmishgame

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Plug and play LED system?

... now that I've committed, I still want to pull of some glowy figs. Though you probably mean for the terrain.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Athenor wrote: »
    I knew they were doing an RPG at some point... Is that already out?

HAH.

During the KS campaign, they said it would be out in September, but that the release date was totally generous, and that they hoped to have it out in August for backers and as a Gencon release.

Like, mid July'ish, they admitted that they weren't going to make Gencon.

In early September they admitted they weren't going to make September, and did not have an updated release target (wtf?).

I believe it was in November they finally set a release target of late Q1.

So basically they're going to be at least half a year late.

Which isn't entirely uncommon with Kickstarter campaigns, but between the minimal communication, sliding release schedule and the fact I tossed them a big pile of cash back in January, it's been a bit of a sore spot. When I give a campaign $5-50, it's generally 'fire and forget'. When the top tier is ~$300 (after S&H and the exchange rate), months of silence and a regularly backsliding target garner a wee bit more ire.

At this point I'll be keeping a copy of the books and a little swag, but I'll probably end up selling off my Miss Terious, Hannah, Santana, and Hanging Tree to help recoup some costs. Even with my crew seeming to be open to picking the game up once in a while, I'm just not invested enough in the brand to hold onto the extras.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Eh. I dropped 125 dollars on the Shadowrun 4th edition and the Shadowrun 20th anniversary LEs, and both were delayed over a year. Not to mention the Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun Online kickstarters, both of which are 120+.

I've been around the enthusiast gaming market for a long time now. Delays happen. I get how it's sore for you, and I've seen Wyrd burn a lot of people apparently. But.. yeah. Sucks that they are having so much trouble, and letting you down. :(

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Svenska wrote: »
    Got a game in with Tara against a Raspi list, just starter box on starter. I'm still trying to put the puzzle together for how best to run Tara. I always feel like I'm just not running it like I should.

Had a blast though, ended up getting nuked by Raspi.

I couldn't really find anything to excite me in the sale, guess that's a good thing though since I still need to get my dudes painted up.

That's a tough matchup, Raspy's spells negate the incorporeal on your models so they seem really fragile when they aren't.

I'm having a few issues "getting her down" myself, but her play seems to revolve primarily around dropping models into people's faces, burying their models and casting their spells, and taking advantage of how stupid good her models do against enemy models with fast. There's also the -2wp debuff from Dead of Winter which combos well with a toooooon of Ressurr models- Hanged, and Belles for sure to pull in a single enemy so you can use Temporal Shift asap while only granting Fast to a single enemy model. Gotta stick with her, I knew she was going to be high learning curve going in.

No-Quarter on
  • SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    Yeah, coming from mk1 Seamus and my lazy shooty play style, I'm having a tough time cracking her puzzle, but I'm really happy about it.

I love just being able to try all sorts of new ideas out, really play with the crew and find clever ideas.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
    Ooh! Looks like the Champaign store I talked about has scheduled a Malifaux day for the 26th of December. I dunno if I'll have my minis by then, but that'll be an excellent day trip.

edited December 2013
    Athenor wrote: »
    Eh. I dropped 125 dollars on the Shadowrun 4th edition and the Shadowrun 20th anniversary LEs, and both were delayed over a year. Not to mention the Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun Online kickstarters, both of which are 120+.

I've been around the enthusiast gaming market for a long time now. Delays happen. I get how it's sore for you, and I've seen Wyrd burn a lot of people apparently. But.. yeah. Sucks that they are having so much trouble, and letting you down. :(

Shadow Run Returns was only 8 months delayed, I know as I backed that as well.

It's less "delays happen" and more "telling us you're not going to hit the target literally a couple of weeks before the target" (especially when the weeks and months prior are a mix of silence and 'we're totally on target! Totally!) isn't kosher.

Part of what has held up the game was Malifaux 2E (they even gave a big shout out to Mack for all his help during the first wave of testing and book creation period). They knew they were going to spend a large chunk of 2013 doing that before the KS campaign even launched (my understanding is that closed beta had been going on as of sometime in 2012), the backers didn't officially know M2E existed until May 2013. When I'm feeling a little less charitable, that comes across as flat out negotiating in bad faith. They knew their workload was going to be insane this year, and went ahead with a giant new product line anyway.

They could have put TtB off another year until M2E was mostly settled, but they chose to do both at once, so I can't cut them much slack for how difficult it must be to attend to both lines, plus whatever Jetpack Unicorn asks/asked of them, and Evil Baby Orphanage, and Puppet Wars, and Showdown Icons, and Kings of Artifice, and what is surely an immense amount of work getting the new plastics set up, and whatever else they have on their plate (no recent showing from Terraclips, but who knows what is going on behind the scenes).

Like, that's not a "hindsight is 20/20" kinda thing.

Look, that got a little ranty, and I'm aware that in the grand scheme of things a half year delay of an RPG isn't exactly costing lives or wiping out ecosystems, but I'm seriously tired of campaigns hiding behind the "we're a small company" defense while projecting simply unrealistic delivery dates. It's unprofessional. Or how many have adopted the "we want to do it right, so it's going to take longer!" approach, which some backers have been lapping up, as though taking an extra month or six is a guaranteed sign of quality. By that standard, Duke Nukem Forever must be a gleaming gem. There is a difference between "we need an extra couple weeks of polish" and "we need to nearly double our delivery target because we overloaded our plate. Oops."

Forar on
    I still don't know why they thought they could release jet pack unicorn and all those other smaller games, and still hit the mk2 and rpg deadlines.

Really wish they'd just focus on the bigger stuff.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

edited December 2013
    In happier news!

Oh hai Mr. Friendly USPS man! What's that? You've got a package for me? Why suuuuure I'll take! And look what's inside! It's Pandora's new kit, a Doppleganger, the scenic "orphanage bases," and Teddy's in there too and he wantz hugs!

OK for real, Pandora's kit is real nice, and Candy is probably one of the most detailed models I've ever seen despite how teensy she is. She also looks like she's straight out of Village of the Damned! Kade could fit on my pinky's fingernail.

BNDgenDCEAA6K05.png:large

PS, I'll take Wyrd's antics any day or GW's horseshit.

No-Quarter on
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    PS, I'll take Wyrd's antics any day or GW's horseshit.

I do believe this is a prime example of "damning with faint praise". :-P

So, in order to do something other than shit up the thread (which isn't intentional; I love the 1.5 edition, and my general experiences with 2.0 were fine, though the reluctance and hatred from parts of my crew has led me to keep it at arms reach), I present pictures of my recent weekend shenanigans.

35 soul stone scrap, Neverborn (my buddy) vs Guild (me).

Lilith, Mother of Monsters: 8 Pool
    Primordial Magic [2ss]
    Lelu [7ss]
    Lilitu [7ss]
    Terror Tot Nephilim [3ss]
    Young Nephilim [6ss]
    Young Nephilim [6ss]

vs

Sonnia Criid: 7 Pool
    Brutal Effigy [4ss]
    Death Marshal [4ss]
    Guild Austringer [5ss]
    Witchling Handler [7ss]
    Witchling Stalker [4ss]
    Witchling Stalker [4ss]
    Witchling Stalker [4ss]

Objectives:
    Neverborn: Reconnoiter, Grudge against my Death Marshall, and... something that eludes me right now.
    Guild: Distract, Stake a Claim (the lit bookshelf near the middle), Raid.

The field of conflict:
    C3BE124E-0223-4313-AC06-DF762988C9C8.jpg
    A mix of mostly painted Dwarven Forge Dungeon Tiles (look great and are effectively indestructible), old HeroQuest terrain/props/figures, and a model LED lighting kit that I picked up a month or two back, and shall figure into some future shenanigans. Hint: I've got some UV lights for it.

919BDCF6-26C1-4895-9028-498F5FC286A4.jpg
    With a pre-built board I'd try to hide the wires between the tiles and behind walls, but for this game, they actually kind of helped lend to the steampunky feel.

BF759A9B-C38E-442B-B8AB-20FD94952853.jpg

10DE7FE6-FDF9-4E35-8CC7-454C12523A0C.jpg
    The spider was his idea. Nobody went near there until the end, for good reason. There's a giant fucking spider in there.

965A30C0-6820-4B47-8384-D15721BD4C55.jpg
    Seriously love getting some use out of that HeroQuest stuff.

20EB9529-457A-42E4-9345-B7679C2A5345.jpg
    My deployment. Objective; breach like it's X-Com and blow up anything that moves. To the right; an Austringer primed to walk into an exterior room and hurl birds at things in the most obnoxious way possible. People generally hate those things, and with good reason.

3D264374-860E-42B5-A977-D1E0BDAF91E6.jpg
    My opponent's deployment. Clearly Lilith and crew got here early. Fuck those guys. No, seriously. Lelu and Lilitu are a massive pain in the ass. Feeling less bad about the Austringer.

31326144-6664-4CAB-B43A-DBAB3A0DB998.jpg
    Turn 2 or so. Lilith has decided to toss the Austringer out to be fed upon by her Nephlim, sacrificing a Terror Tot to do so. A reasonable trade, and can you really put a price point on peace of mind? To the left: BREACHING GO GO GO! Also: Doesn't Lilith whirlwind? Hrm, this may not have been my best idea, but I've had worse...

DE511421-4C79-400A-9AD6-8971AE37BCC5.jpg
    Lelu doing his 'superman thing'. Barely shown; a shy Young Nephlim.

We didn't really do pictures throughout the game, but long story short, I hurled Stalkers at things for a while until a perfect storm was set up with Lilith, Lelu AND Lilitu in the blast radius of a Stalker. Which Sonnia then used to call down a pair of flame bursts right on him, with a little cheating up/down to have the blasts go off, dealing something like 8 damage to each of them. The Twins dropped, and Lilith was down to 1 wound and zero Soul Stones. I had Sonnia at half health, the Witchling Handler (not nearly as dangerous without a brood to support) and the Death Marshall.

Lilith walked up to the wall and tried to gut Sonnia, taking her down to 1 wound. I retreated with the other two models and used Sonnia's Inferno ability, which due to the way pulses/auras work, tagged Lilith right back, killing her outright and winning me the game. In hindsight/punditry, it's possible that had my opponent instead fled towards my deployment zone, the game might've ended in a 2/2 draw. As it was, it was a solid victory for the guild.

6FE9DCF1-6E87-486B-A99D-858FB55A3846.jpg
    Sonnia, catching up on her reading now that the... unpleasantness is over with.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Just to ask again since I think the page-swap ate it: apart from crazy animals, what can Marcus show up with / pull off?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Looks like I'm getting $5 back on my Tara - the heavy rains have damaged the packaging, so they are sending them out sans packaging for those of us who honestly don't care about such things. Hopefully it won't get damaged in transit. :)

Auralynx wrote: »
    Just to ask again since I think the page-swap ate it: apart from crazy animals, what can Marcus show up with / pull off?

I'll be the first to admit that I know next to nothing about how to play Marcus, but let's see.

Well, he can hire any model from any faction so long as it has the "Beast" characteristic. Aside from that, his ability upgrades allow him lotsa of various manipulations of Beasts from buffs to debuffs (he can "give" the beast characteristic to enemy models), and the beasts themselves possess a very wide variety of abilities but tend to be relatively fragile compared to other Arcanist models. This is made up by for the fact that they're dead killy.

Here's a reeeeeal big writeup on the Malifaux forums that'll be much more helpful-

wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?45485-M2E-Marcus&highlight=marcus

If you haven't seen it before, here's what his new kit looks like: (Cojo is a new unit, and therefore not available in the "old" box.)

Marcus.jpg

Got my Pandora crew assembled! I'll try and dig out the camera! She's reaaaaal nice!

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, I saw the new box art in the OP. The original versions of the Rattler and Sabretooth are not great models for assembly purposes, but I did like the look of the set. Something to keep my eye on for the future I guess.

E: reading the write-up now, and I have to admit Cojo sounds like fun, as does the snake.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

Auralynx wrote: »
    E: reading the write-up now, and I have to admit Cojo sounds like fun, as does the snake.

Lots of movement tricks in Marcus' purview. One of his two Limited upgrades (meaning you can take one or the other, not both) gives him a superlative 8" Walk distance, which you don't appreciate till you're dropping scheme tokens and realize that you can't drop tokens via Interact Actions closer than 4" to eachother.

Coming from WH40k the objectives based around scheme tokens have been the hardest thing to adapt to in regards to learning the game. Doubly so for Masters/ models that can manipulate scheme tokens like Collette and Lucius.

SO!

Big Update from Justin, the rulemeister: wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?49728-M2E-Wave-2-Beta-Update-12-10-13
    Hi all,

Download is below, but I wanted to go over a few things.

I know you are all excited to see the avatar rules, so I wanted to lay out the revised timeline for the playtest.

Unfortunately, it's looking like it is going to take a bit longer to get all of the art for this wave of models than we had hoped, so we are looking to release arsenal decks in mid 2014 sometime before Gen Con.

The nice thing is that this gives the playtesting process some breathing room. So, here is the plan:

-This round of playtesting will last until the third week in January. January 24th will officially be the last day of this round of playtesting and on that day these forums will be taken down.

-I Will then spend two weeks proofreading, doing some internal playtesting, and generally finishing up any design which these models need.

-On Monday February 10th, we will release free PDFs of all of the models/upgrades from this wave for download. These will be the finalized, set in stone rules. They will be tournament legal. However, these cards will contain no art.

-On Tuesday February 11th, we will launch the next wave of playtesting which will include the avatars for every master and at least one new generic upgrade for each faction.

-This third wave of Playtesting will last until the end of April.

Once all of the art is in, we will send everything off to print and have the wave 2 arsenal decks as soon as possible.

This process has been amazing, and I couldn't be more thankful to all of you for your contributions in helping determine the direction of this great game. I'm thankful that we will be able to take our time with these and get every last detail right.

DOWNLOAD

In the mean time, a few crews are done and I thought it would be fun to share them with you:

That's right. Free rules. As far as I'm concerned that destroys any concerns I have about Wyrd as a game company. Screwups happen, but they've got their hearts int he right place instead of their wallets. Full steam ahead.

Also he posted art for both Kirai and Lucius' crews:

attachment.php?attachmentid=16787&d=1386699561

attachment.php?attachmentid=16788&d=1386699623

I got my Tara, Death Marshals, and Perdita!

... I was not expecting everything to be so tiny. And yeah, I really don't think it was worth the price for the plastic. But.. eh. What are you gonna do. I know a lot of work went into the sculpts.

So now.. to decide what to do with 'em.

Play em! Duh! Though I could understand flipping Tara.

I just got my Sonnia kit. The Witchlings are each 1 piece. :3

Sam is like.... a billion lol.

No, I am not gonna sell them. I meant paint wise.

The Death Marshals are going to require me to get some dayglow/neon purple and green, I know it.

My only issues with their models is that some of the parts that you have to bond are itty bitty small.

In other news I may have misplaced my Sonnia cards >.<

Got my M2e Seamus box, and the nightmare edition hanged.

I've never had so many small plastic parts. My flames of war stuff is bigger then some of these.

I suppose a good thing about being a hemchman is I can allow the 50mm bases for the hanged, haha.

Montresor from Jack Daw's crew has been made a 50 mm base to allow people to use their nightmare hanged.

My god these pieces are small and hard to assemble/glue!

Hahahah yes they are. I got the Zap-a-Gap glue now and it all just clicks together, If you need to hold a piece together for more than 5 seconds, you need better glue.

Hooo-leee fuck. Yeah. The difference is like night and day. With the blue stuff, it turned it into a gloop that I had to be very careful with, and had to apply a decent amount to make it stick.

With the Testors red stuff? A VERY little dab and BAM! 5 seconds later and it's set. I'm pre-measuring/checking my pieces much closer now, but it is making a difference. Also I think the 1e death marshals looked cooler than the 2e ones, but then again I haven't started painting yet.

Both the old and the new Marshals are nice kits.

I'm at 100% assembly- I currently own/ have these kits assembled- Pandora, Lady J, Tara (Nightmare, going to sell), Seamus, and Sonnia. I technically also "own" the new Raspy kit but I got it for a friend.

Played a good few games over the X-Mas break. I'm in love with Lady and Pandora, but I adore the Neverborn as a faction. I might use some giftcards to snap up Lilith's kit and the young/mature Nephilim box. The only Neverborn master who doesn't do it for me is Zoraida. Lucius' new rules are bee's knees and he's dual faction Guild, yay! He's like an evil Commissar from 40k!

Oooo.. fast setting assembly is nice. Getting the pine box on the back was a bitch and a half and painting it is going to be even worse, but...

UPZrZVN.jpg

You know, I haven't stuck that on there myself. I'm thinking of having a glob of Epoxy to weld it to his back.

Probably not a bad idea. Unlike the other pine boxes, there's no notch or noticeable place in the mold to slot it. So I kind of lined up the chains so they interlocked, tried to cmeent them together.. then applied more cement until it all fused together enough. Liberal amounts of pressure were applied as well. It's likely going to be fragile as hell, but we'll see come the morning.

Yeah there isn't a noticeable divot for you to connect the two, I think that coffin is made to be just as much a solo bit (I've seen Lady J's posed on it) as it is an attachment for the DM.

Yay more malifaux stuff!

Unfortunately, the store I went to today only had Lilith, Lady Justice, Rasputina, and the ressurectionist / rotten belles dude. I was really hoping for some outcasts/freikorps or Nicodem, but oh well. They did have those in pewter 1e edition, but I kind of wanted to stick to plastic for now.

I got Lilith. Gonna use that to enter the raffle.

No-Quarter wrote: »
    Yeah there isn't a noticeable divot for you to connect the two, I think that coffin is made to be just as much a solo bit (I've seen Lady J's posed on it) as it is an attachment for the DM.

My first instinct would definitely have been to use that as a base element on someone, but I like what Athenor pulled off.

The original Marcus set wasn't too bad assembly-wise except the Razorspine Rattler's jaw bits. Marcus' arms are tiny but reasonably well sculpted. That new model looks gratifyingly beefier, though.

I had a mad plan to order up some Satyxis horns from WM and try to get them on his head that never materialized; I think it'd be easier on the new sculpt, though you lose the fire-hand which attracted me to converting him to a tiefling in the first place.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

@athenor Raffle? Also I was thinking of picking up Lilith too, along with the new Nephilim box. (God that works so much better than Diablo 3's Nephalem)

I have to gap fill some of my Pandora crew models, I suck using (p3's) epoxy.

http://www.wyrd-games.net/content.php?251-New-Year-Raffle

Only works if you buy from a local gaming store, not online.
    Your entry is only valid for the raffle up to next friday; so the box I just bought will be valid for the raffle on Friday, but I'll need to buy more product to get entered in a later raffle. *ahem*

Wow it's pretty awesome that Wyrd is doing that!

hmmmm I may consider that myself!

Just do it next week. =P

Okay, I feel a LOT better. The Malifaux sets I want aren't even out yet. So of the sets that are out for 2E, I am quite happy with 'em! And if I really want the sets NAO, I can just buy the 1e editions, I think.

Bear in mind, that for Marcus' set that Cojo had his base sized bumped up to 50mm