As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds. [Godzilla] HAIL GHIDORAH!

• Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if that theme showed up in the credits or at the very beginning. As awesome as it is, I'm not sure how it would fit thematically with the tone they're going for judging by the trailers.

Also, I really hope this scene is included in the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E284IfUyssc

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Well. That's... big.

It would take a couple jaegers standing on each others shoulders to match that.

Hail to the King.

Looking it up just now, if we're talking 150 meters, it would be roughly as tall as Crimson Typhoon standing on top of Striker Eureka's head.

Edit: All with a big trench coat draped over them pretending to be a grown up. Godzilla sneering at their fake ID.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Alright now

I ain't never seen a Godzilla film

But this trailer was seriously impressive, I loved the mood set by it

And that's seriously a hell of a cast, I've been waiting for Aaron Taylor-Johnson to get a starring role in a major film (I'm not sure Kick-Ass counts)

Also, Scarlet Witch + Quicksilver vs. Godzilla?

• Options
    edited December 2013
    EDIT: Forget it

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    There are two monsters Godzilla goes up against in this movie.

One is an unknown flying type and the other is some sort of centipede version.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »
    Well. That's... big.

Hail to the King.

Looking it up just now, if we're talking 150 meters, it would be roughly as tall as Crimson Typhoon standing on top of Striker Eureka's head.

Edit: All with a big trench coat draped over them pretending to be a grown up. Godzilla sneering at their fake ID.

So your saying we need a new Cherno Alpha built at at twice the size.
    I can get behind this idea

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    I would pay hard cash for a Mega Cherno vs. Godzilla fight

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    I would pay IMAX price to watch that on a portable TV from the 90s.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    See, that's odd, because I could swear he was standing over buildings in some of the older movies too. His size seems to go up and down.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qORYO0atB6g

Unrelated and irrelevant, but still.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Well. Time to watch Pacific Rim.

Again. And again and again and...

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »
    Well. That's... big.

Hail to the King.

Damn now you made me try and find a picture of Max from Robotech running around the Zentradi ship while wearing a trench coat on his veritech fighter. Couldn't find one...

SvqnqeJ.png

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Well. Time to watch Pacific Rim.

Again. And again and again and...

good decision. I haven't watched a dvd that wasn't Pacific Rim since the day it came out on dvd

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I love that the graph can also be explained in universe as Godzilla's radioactivity just causes it to keep growing.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    How many Godzillas have their been? At least 3 right? Original godzilla, then the one after him who went till Vs Destroyah, then Godzilla Junior took over when that one died.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Well every time they start up with a new Godzilla they ignore the entire previous continuity except for the first movie, so each Godzilla movie stars the original godzilla (with a few exceptions), but there's five or six different versions.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    To go into more detail than you were expecting or needed:

Godzilla 1954, and its sequels up to 1970ish
    Godzilla 1984 was then a direct sequel to 1954, with the movies up to Destroyah being sequels to that
    Godzilla 2000, x Megaguirus, GMK, x Mechagodzilla, and Final Wars are all sequels to 1954 again, and Tokyo SOS was a sequel to x Mechagodzilla.

JayKaos on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    cKyGDRb.jpg

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ha ha, I like the way the stuff at the left looks kinda like smoke.dust at first glance, but then you look for more than a split second and no, that's Gojira's back. And he's fucking huge. With the Golden Gate Bridge there for scale, he must be 400-500 metres tall.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Man the sense of scale in that trailer is nuts.

I like the giant storm the jump through too.

Fucking crazy.

• Options
    The scale on that particular poster is probably just a biiiit off.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Alright now

I ain't never seen a Godzilla film

But this trailer was seriously impressive, I loved the mood set by it

And that's seriously a hell of a cast, I've been waiting for Aaron Taylor-Johnson to get a starring role in a major film (I'm not sure Kick-Ass counts)

Also, Scarlet Witch + Quicksilver vs. Godzilla?

You should watch the original Gojira. Japanese version.

I love Godzilla, but it's probably the only one of those movies I would really call great cinema.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I want that poster.

Actually, I want the one-sheet, but supposedly those are damned expensive and usually damaged.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Yeah I would say Gojira is a timeless classic.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Well every time they start up with a new Godzilla they ignore the entire previous continuity except for the first movie, so each Godzilla movie stars the original godzilla (with a few exceptions), but there's five or six different versions.

If memory serves, most movies star the second Godzilla.

First one is dead. Daisuke Serizawa doesn't fuck around when he decides to kill something.

Turns out there was at least one more Godzilla, though, and a bunch of other giant radioactive monsters, so that's kind of a bother all around.

(Anguirus, on the other hand, seems to be the same one every time, no matter what abuse he takes. Anguirus is ridiculously hard to finish off)

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Somebody pointed it out in the trailer thread in D&D, but each time they reset the Godzilla films, they start a new series as a sequel to the 1954 film. I think they rebooted the series four times (or three?).

edit: Hey you know what I got really confused and forgot that this was in this thread, and then I totally misread Chiasaur's post so... ignore me.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    tumblr_mxlwjc1ybP1s2jfn0o1_500.jpg

And just like that we all became kaiju hipsters.

Ignoring the fact that it looks nothing like Pacific Rim, I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to see more movies like Pacific Rim.

• Options

First one is dead. Daisuke Serizawa doesn't fuck around when he decides to kill something.

Turns out there was at least one more Godzilla, though, and a bunch of other giant radioactive monsters, so that's kind of a bother all around.

(Anguirus, on the other hand, seems to be the same one every time, no matter what abuse he takes. Anguirus is ridiculously hard to finish off)

Well, they usually just say "oh godzilla's back" and imply that it's the same one, the only time they explicitly say that it's a different godzilla is in Godzilla x Mechagodzilla and its sequel, Tokyo SOS, because the bones of the original Godzilla are built into the new Mechagodzilla.

Actually wait I forget what they said in Godzilla Raids Again (the first one with Anguirus), so it's possible they said it was a new one there (and thus every subsequent movie up to Terror of Mechagodzilla would be a new one as well).

• Options
    what is a good godzilla collection to buy?

• Options
    See, that's odd, because I could swear he was standing over buildings in some of the older movies too. His size seems to go up and down.

Buildings have gotten taller since the 40s.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I just checked
    Godzilla Raids Again states that it's a second member of the same species

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013

I thought the Showa era basically all starred the same Godzilla from the first. Unless Godzilla Raids Again had a different Godzilla? EDIT- Never mind, @Grey Ghost did the fact checking

And the Heisei era basically started only observing the very first movie as in continuity. So Godzilla 1985 (or Godzilla Returns) would be a direct sequel and same monster as the first.

The Millenium series is the one where it's confusing though. Because of each of those basically are continual reboots that only observe Gojira and/or Godzilla Returns yeah?

I'm a bit rusty on it all admittedly.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qORYO0atB6g

Unrelated and irrelevant, but still.

Hahahaha, awesome, the little shitty clear plastice "public umbrella", so named because it is the only thing Japanese people will steal without hesitation or remorse.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I just checked
    Godzilla Raids Again states that it's a second member of the same species

Ah, so yeah the Showa series are canonically all a second godzilla. Heisei I think is still the first and it's never explained how he's not dead (he just kinda explodes out of an island in 1984/5), then the Millennium movies pretty much each spend the first 5 minutes making up their own continuity so it's all weird.

JayKaos on
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    So blasphemy as it is. I think the Mire-Goji suit is the absolute best Godzilla look.

But that might be out of bias because Godzilla 2000 is the only Toho Zilla I've seen in theaters...Or because James Stokoe draws the living hell out of it.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I do plan to check out the original

I think @Sweeney Tom was the one that told me that the Criterion edition of Gojira is particularly great

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    So blasphemy as it is. I think the Mire-Goji suit is the absolute best Godzilla look.

But that might be out of bias because Godzilla 2000 is the only Toho Zilla I've seen in theaters...Or because James Stokoe draws the living hell out of it.

I think I like the Heisei era suit(s) better, cause that's what I grew up with, but the Millenium suit is pretty great.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I do plan to check out the original

I think @Sweeney Tom was the one that told me that the Criterion edition of Gojira is particularly great

I'm not sure if it's the Criterion edition, but I think Gojira is up on Netflix

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    The Criterion version is great, and comes with two movies (the original Gojira, and the Raymond Burr American remake). The essay in the booklet is great, most of the commentaries are interesting, and the audio's superb. If you can get any version of the original Godzilla, go for the Criterion Collection release.

• Options
    I rented that version on amazon instant the other night.

It's great.