As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds. [Godzilla] HAIL GHIDORAH!

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    turtleant wrote: »
    Gustav wrote: »
    So blasphemy as it is. I think the Mire-Goji suit is the absolute best Godzilla look.

But that might be out of bias because Godzilla 2000 is the only Toho Zilla I've seen in theaters...Or because James Stokoe draws the living hell out of it.

I think I like the Heisei era suit(s) better, cause that's what I grew up with, but the Millenium suit is pretty great.

As Heisei era goes, I think Godzilla Returns or Godzilla vs Biollante has the best look for Godzilla.

Also holy heck was Biollante awesome.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    So blasphemy as it is. I think the Mire-Goji suit is the absolute best Godzilla look.

But that might be out of bias because Godzilla 2000 is the only Toho Zilla I've seen in theaters...Or because James Stokoe draws the living hell out of it.

I think I like the Heisei era suit(s) better, cause that's what I grew up with, but the Millenium suit is pretty great.

As Heisei era goes, I think Godzilla Returns or Godzilla vs Biollante has the best look for Godzilla.

Also holy heck was Biollante awesome.

Godzilla Vs Biollante was my first godzilla movie. Seeing that at 4 years old really left an impression.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Biollante's second form was goddamn incredible.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I didn't like the cat mouth Godzilla look. Your weird fetishes don't have to be in absolutely everything, Japan. The MIllenium series Godzilla looked the meanest to me. And i like the idea of him being a a danger again.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I didn't like the cat mouth Godzilla look. Your weird fetishes don't have to be in absolutely everything, Japan. The MIllenium series Godzilla looked the meanest to me. And i like the idea of him being a a danger again.
    but bryan cranston is the danger

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    A city gets destroyed by a giant rampaging lizard, and you think that of me? No, clearly you have no idea who you're talking to. I'm not in danger. I am the danger! I am the one who SKRREEEEEOOONNNKKKK

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Oh man the Criterion Blu-ray is only $26 on Amazon

I feel I might have to jump on that this weekend

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    but bryan cranston is the danger

Turns out Godzilla started attacking America because he saw the finale of season 2 of Breaking Bad.

He just could not deal with it.

(Actually, those pronouns made me wonder. Is the original Gozilla canonically male or female?)

IKknkhU.gif
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    The original Godzilla is canonically male

The entire rest of the original series, though? Godzilla is referred to as male, but I believe it was established as female in the second film

dN0T6ur.png
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Is there any monster movies where the creature isn't skyscraper size or people size

Every monster movie I can think of has the creature either be the size of skyscrapers, or just bigger than a human

I want a film where some backwoods town has to deal with a house size monstrosity

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    bye, gonna watch Godzilla movies for a bit.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I have almost all of the Millenium films on dvd. I may watch those again. I love the two MechaGodzilla ones.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Is there any monster movies where the creature isn't skyscraper size or people size

Every monster movie I can think of has the creature either be the size of skyscrapers, or just bigger than a human

I want a film where some backwoods town has to deal with a house size monstrosity

The Host and King Kong jumped to my mind immediately.

Pumpkinhead...kind of? At least fits the backwoods aspect.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular

Barnes & Noble is doing Buy 1 Get 1 on Criterion until Monday

• QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    Things I like about the Emmerich Godzilla:

-The music -How they show Godzilla up until you see the whole body. You've got the footprints, the attacks on the ship and trawler (the underwater grumble-thing that Godzilla does before attacking is still pretty eerie to me), and the initial attack on NYC. IMO the movie is at its best when Godzilla first steps foot in NYC and the camera can barely handle showing its legs.
    -Jean Reno.

And that's it I think.

Well there was Godzilla: The Animated Series.

Which basically made that movie worth it.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure my enjoyment of Emmerich's Godzilla stemmed completely from the fact that I was 12 and liked pretty much every movie I saw in the theaters at the time.

I haven't seen it since, but every once in a while I'll see a picture or still of the monster and it just makes me cringe.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    "Hey, dad, did you know they released a trailer for the new Godzilla movie yesterday?"

"Who's making it?"

"I don't know, I'll have to go check. Why?"

"Because they've remade Godzilla before, and that wasn't Godzilla."

b1ehrMM.gif
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    "Hey, dad, did you know they released a trailer for the new Godzilla movie yesterday?"

"Who's making it?"

Show him the Japanese trailer instead:

http://youtu.be/BzcpLOsO9-I

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    gtrmp wrote: »

Barnes & Noble is doing Buy 1 Get 1 on Criterion until Monday

They're so overpriced though

I would jump on it if it was maybe $30, but $40 when Amazon is offering it for $26 is a no-go for me personally

I do have so few Criterion movies, though

Seven Samurai, The Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo and Do the Right Thing are the only ones I think I have

UnbreakableVow on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    They had all Criterion films 50% off just last month. I remember because I got the recently-released Uninvited (1944) release for my father for Christmas last month and it only cost $10. It wasn't a Black Friday sale either, it was an entire month-long sale (Nov. 5 to Dec. 2). Wish I'd gotten more.

• The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular

I liked a lot of the suits in the Heisei series, but they could get a bit too feral feline. The Millenium suits up until Tokyo SOS were fantastic. GMK is in a league of its own. Final Wars is really the suit I didn't like. The head seemed to pointy and small.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    The pupil-less eyes in GMK were just too blatant "HE'S EVIL THIS TIME" for me but the rest of it was okay. Big fan of the other Millennium suites though, even if Final Wars was just Heisei with a smaller head.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    Wasn't he supposed to represent like the vengeful spirits of the WWII dead soldiers though? Like, that's why it made sense to me his eyes were pupil-less. He was basically a demon.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Oh I know. Still dumb.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I keep watching the trailer and that low-angle shot of the drop plane cruising along with the curvature of the earth underneath it is giving me vertigo

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »

"Who's making it?"

Show him the Japanese trailer instead:

http://youtu.be/BzcpLOsO9-I

They literally call Godzilla a death god in that trailer.

So, uh... dang.

• SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    So with the new scale of Godzilla where do we think Godzooky is gonna weigh in at?

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    So is this new Godzilla attacking Tokyo or New York?

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Barcardi wrote: »
    So is this new Godzilla attacking Tokyo or New York?

San Fran I think

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    he's gotta fuck up that bridge like all the great monsters

• ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    That roar!!!! So many goosebumps!!!

So they're playing the trailer in front of The Hobbit this weekend. I really can't wait to see how this looks in IMAX. They better have a mop and bucket ready.

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Okay guys, I'm going to watch one of the Godzilla films on Crackle that I've yet to see. The choices are vs. Mecha-Godzilla II, vs. Space-Godzilla, or vs. King Ghidorah (1991).

What's my best bet?

edit: Oh shit, vs. King Ghidorah has Mecha-King Ghidorah in it. Done and done.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Okay guys, I'm going to watch one of the Godzilla films on Crackle that I've yet to see. The choices are vs. Mecha-Godzilla II, vs. Space-Godzilla, or vs. King Ghidorah (1991).

What's my best bet?

edit: Oh shit, vs. King Ghidorah has Mecha-King Ghidorah in it. Done and done.

Always go Ghidorah. Even though I have a soft spot for SpaceGodzilla, always go Ghidorah.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I really liked the 91 King Ghidorah

But my favorite from the era is probablyGodzilla vs. Mecha-Godzilla (2?). The one with the awesome Rodan.

CYpGAPn.png
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Crackle keeps playing the same two shitty ads and it suuuuucks

Well that was.... something.

The fights were great, as far as these films go. Ghidorah always delivers and this was no exception. But the whole getting to the fights? Yikes.

Still, I enjoyed it, being the sucker for these films that I am.

I watched Godzilla vs Megalon a while back, fondly remembering it from my youth. And it has Jet Jaguar. The fights were okay, but man, it was tedious getting to them.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I watched Godzilla vs Megalon a while back, fondly remembering it from my youth. And it has Jet Jaguar. The fights were okay, but man, it was tedious getting to them.

thats why you watch the MST3K version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cxV8Bf8ND4

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]