As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - Coast to Coast

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited December 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Coast to Coast

Coast to Coast
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/coast-to-coast

Initiation

Anonymous

I’m a relatively new tester, but today I ran into a standard testing miracle for the first time—the developer’s bug-neutralizing superpowers.

I had come across a rather quirky bug that the developer could not replicate. When he came to my workstation for me to show the bug to him, everything worked like a charm.

I feel like I’ve passed some sort of testing initiation now. It’s like the job is telling me that it finally accepts me as legitimate and has begun to embarrass me accordingly.

Geth on

• Options
    Shakes999Shakes999 Registered User regular
    Oh sweet sweet karma. Trenches is on a roll this season.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    If the anteater's don't have their own unique set of hats I'm deleting my characters and quitting.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    If the anteater's don't have their own unique set of hats I'm deleting my characters and quitting.

They'd have to redesign the full-face helmets and ski masks at the very least.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    wormspeakerwormspeaker Objectively Terrible Registered User regular
    The new story...
    Anonymous wrote:
    Subject: The building is on fire; please evacuate.

One summer, myself and a couple hundred others were working on a AAA title in our dimly lit, stinky basement. This basement was also known as QA.

The basement was constantly overlooked by the custodial staff. I’m not sure this was intentional or not, but we were seriously lacking in regular trash bin changes, vacuuming, and overall cleanliness. Oh, and we also were short on a few fire alarms…okay we didn’t have any fire alarms.

The testers in the basement were all console testers and did not have regular access to a computer. They would occasionally get up to write bugs, but for the most part, you are pretty unaware as to what’s in your email until lunch or break time.

Due to the secrecy of the project I was on, my team was located in a locked room. So here we are, in a dark, dirty basement, with no alarms and no real communication with the outside world. Cell phones didn’t even work.

So, one day, we hear a big commotion outside the door. We get up to see what’s going on, and before I can reach the handle, the door explodes open with one of my co-workers saying,

“The building’s on fire! It has been for a while and no one’s told us!”

Oh, but we all did receive an emergency email to our rarely looked at accounts. By the time we reached the outdoors, the entire building had already been evacuated.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    The new story...
    Anonymous wrote:
    Subject: The building is on fire; please evacuate.

One summer, myself and a couple hundred others were working on a AAA title in our dimly lit, stinky basement. This basement was also known as QA.

The basement was constantly overlooked by the custodial staff. I’m not sure this was intentional or not, but we were seriously lacking in regular trash bin changes, vacuuming, and overall cleanliness. Oh, and we also were short on a few fire alarms…okay we didn’t have any fire alarms.

The testers in the basement were all console testers and did not have regular access to a computer. They would occasionally get up to write bugs, but for the most part, you are pretty unaware as to what’s in your email until lunch or break time.

Due to the secrecy of the project I was on, my team was located in a locked room. So here we are, in a dark, dirty basement, with no alarms and no real communication with the outside world. Cell phones didn’t even work.

So, one day, we hear a big commotion outside the door. We get up to see what’s going on, and before I can reach the handle, the door explodes open with one of my co-workers saying,

“The building’s on fire! It has been for a while and no one’s told us!”

Oh, but we all did receive an emergency email to our rarely looked at accounts. By the time we reached the outdoors, the entire building had already been evacuated.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I wish to inform you of a FIRE which has broken out at-...no, too formal.

Dear Sir/Madam,

FIRE!

FIRE!

HELP ME!

Looking forward to hearing from you,

• Options
    lawragatajarlawragatajar Registered User regular
    I really hope someone thought to inform the Fire Marshal on those work conditions. Reading that story gives thoughts of the fire at the Triangle Shirtwaist factory and the laws put in place to prevent such tragedies.

• Options
    Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    That's some third world problems.

As for the comic, it's good, but fewer words / bigger consistent font would make it better.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

As for the comic, it's good, but fewer words / bigger consistent font would make it better.
    There's more than one font in use? I feel like I need to take classes so I can achieve even a base level of internet concern for fonts, korning, and whatnot.

• Options
    Shakes999Shakes999 Registered User regular

False. I like how theres more exposition now. I still think the art is a small step back from what it was, but its not bad by any means. I think the comic has just been getting better and better.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

There's more than one font in use? I feel like I need to take classes so I can achieve even a base level of internet concern for fonts, korning, and whatnot.

There's only one font, but the size varies in this comic - the lines that are supposed to be interjected or come from off-panel are smaller.

• Options
    Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    Yes, sorry, one font, two sizes.

I'd rather the old lady said less and it was in the same font size as Q.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    There is always a chance that there was a fire watch going on, which meets fire code, and the fire watch person sent out the email. ;)

• Options
    AmarylAmaryl Registered User regular
    At least the story didn't end with: Then we all got fired for leaving our posts.

Though they probably did get fired for the lack of a building to work in...

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Sounds like the building got fired.

steam_sig.png