As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds. [Godzilla] HAIL GHIDORAH!

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I wonder what a modern interpretation of Jet Jaguar would look like?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    You know, Godzilla's interesting, since unlike most monster movies, humanity's done pretty good at making countermeasures.

Bioweapons, mechs, psychics, whatever. If it could, hypothetically, ruin a giant monster's day, it's been deployed against Godzilla.

And it didn't work.

Oh, nice. Your karate laser mutants work on giant lobsters? Well, Godzilla doesn't care.

Well, to be fair, they had already defeated and imprisoned Godzilla well before they started using the karate laser mutants.

Things got so bad they let him out.

• The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Okay guys, I'm going to watch one of the Godzilla films on Crackle that I've yet to see. The choices are vs. Mecha-Godzilla II, vs. Space-Godzilla, or vs. King Ghidorah (1991).

What's my best bet?

edit: Oh shit, vs. King Ghidorah has Mecha-King Ghidorah in it. Done and done.

Always go Ghidorah. Even though I have a soft spot for SpaceGodzilla, always go Ghidorah.

The plot of that film is so utterly ridiculous, how can it not be the best choice of the three?

P.S. I didn't get my trailer in front of the Hobbit tonight. Instead I got 20 minutes of shit I didn't care about seeing. [kevin sorbo]DISAPPOINTED!!![/kevin sorbo]

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Is there any monster movies where the creature isn't skyscraper size or people size

Every monster movie I can think of has the creature either be the size of skyscrapers, or just bigger than a human

I want a film where some backwoods town has to deal with a house size monstrosity

Dude, look up literally any lower-budget monster movie from the 50's through the 70's

I recommend Them! as a quality picture. That deals with house-sized ants

There's also truck sized spiders attacking rural Wisconsin, giant locusts attacking Chicago, giant gila monsters attacking...somewhere, and many more in a very, very similar vein

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Is there any monster movies where the creature isn't skyscraper size or people size

Every monster movie I can think of has the creature either be the size of skyscrapers, or just bigger than a human

I want a film where some backwoods town has to deal with a house size monstrosity

Dude, look up literally any lower-budget monster movie from the 50's through the 70's

There's also truck sized spiders attacking rural Wisconsin, giant locusts attacking Chicago, giant gila monsters attacking...somewhere, and many more in a very, very similar vein

There's Eight Legged Freaks if you're looking for something more recent.

• SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    First off, that trailer was excellent. I am always a sucker for giant monster movies, and the scale of this one looks fantastic.

Secondly, we're talking also about other Godzilla movies, right? Man, I used to get all the stateside Godzilla releases and for the longest time in my childhood had no idea how different Gojira was or how much they edited and added stuff in the American versions.

Like how Godzilla 1985 brought back the American reporter they inserted into the Americanized Godzilla FOR NO REASON. It always confused me as a kid because it felt so out of place, and took me a decade to find out why.

And finally, it's a travesty this hasn't been posted yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-wUdetAAlY

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    So they're playing the trailer in front of The Hobbit this weekend. I really can't wait to see how this looks in IMAX. They better have a mop and bucket ready.

Not that I wasn't planning to see The Hobbit already, but I'm locked into an IMAX showing if the Godzilla trailer is included.

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I watched gojira last night! It was pretty rad

Gotta get more Godzilla movies in me

• Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    I was thinking of watching some Godzilla over the weekend and checked my streaming options, I'm going to make it a point to catch Gojira but these are the other options that I have to decide on.
    Looking on Netflix instant we have:
    Godzilla: King of Monsters (1956) (I think this is the Americanized version of Gojira)
    Godzila (1998)
    Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)
    Godzilla's Revenge
    Godzilla V. Mothra

Hulu has some of those along with Godzilla V The Thing and Godzilla V Monster Zero

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Netflix also has Rodan last I checked. Haven't seen that one.

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

just watch any film about Washington D.C. heyoooooooo

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Just as a heads up, Godzilla's Revenge is the worst Godzilla movie. It's mostly about a kid getting bullied who imagines being on Monster Island.

It is not about Godzilla plotting elaborate revengeance on all who betrayed him. Expect that, or anything else of entertainment value, and you will likely be disappointed.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Just as a heads up, Godzilla's Revenge is the worst Godzilla movie. It's mostly about a kid getting bullied who imagines being on Monster Island.

It is not about Godzilla plotting elaborate revengeance on all who betrayed him. Expect that, or anything else of entertainment value, and you will likely be disappointed.

Also it's 60% clips from other Godzilla films.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

Also it's 60% clips from other Godzilla films.

Good that just sounds awful, it sounds like itshouldn't even really count as a movie.

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    It also has that weird-ass Minilla creature, or whatever his name is. He shoots smoke rings! And looks weird as fuck!

Oh hey, I guess I haven't seen Godzilla vs. Mothra yet, but I have seen Mothra vs. Godzilla

Goddamnit this is confusing

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Mothra v. Godzilla is the same as Godzilla vs. the Thing, just different names used by the importers, if anyone's wondering.

Aside from Revenge pretty much all the ones on netflix are good, though Gojira is preferable to King of the Monsters.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    Hulu Plus gave me Gojira

So that's awesome

signature-deffo.jpg
    edited December 2013
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Mothra v. Godzilla is the same as Godzilla vs. the Thing, just different names used by the importers, if anyone's wondering.

Aside from Revenge pretty much all the ones on netflix are good, though Gojira is preferable to King of the Monsters.

Yeah, I'm trying to remember what VHS I rented when I was 11 or 12 was called. I just know it was the older one.

Crackle basically has all the Heisei-era Godzilla films (except for Return of Godzilla and vs. Biollante, as well as all the Millenium-era films, and on further investigation, all three Rebirth of Mothras, which I haven't seen before!

If I knew watching the new Godzilla trailer would set me down this rabbit hole... ah who am I kidding I'd still watch it.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyophYBP_w4

Ah...low budget monster movies.

How I love you.

JayKaos wrote: »

Yeah, I'm trying to remember what VHS I rented when I was 11 or 12 was called. I just know it was the older one.

Crackle basically has all the Heisei-era Godzilla films (except for Return of Godzilla and vs. Biollante, as well as all the Millenium-era films, and on further investigation, all three Rebirth of Mothras, which I haven't seen before!

If I knew watching the new Godzilla trailer would set me down this rabbit hole... ah who am I kidding I'd still watch it.

Yeah, the one on Netflix is the older one, whatever it's called there.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I watched hells of Godzilla movies when I was a kid, but it isn't even like I was renting a bunch
    but Sci-Fi channel used to show them all the damn time

I've never really been clear on the various "eras" though and I couldn't tell you which ones I've seen, though basically anything with Mechagodzilla or King Ghidorah is what mostly sticks out in my mind

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    My first Godzilla movie -Hell, my first VHS ever - was King Kong vs. Godzilla

I shudder to think how many times I watched that stupid, stupid movie

I love it so

dN0T6ur.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    My first and I saw it so many times I killed the VHS was Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster

CYpGAPn.png
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I think my first was Godzilla Returns. And I totally blame it for making love Dr. Pepper so much.

Second was Godzilla versus the Smog Monster. TALK ABOUT TONAL SHIFT

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    My first and I saw it so many times I killed the VHS was Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster

Me too!

IKknkhU.gif
    Mine was either Godzilla Raids Again or Godzilla vs. Gigan (which had like a TON of monsters in it)

Still think Gigan is the coolest monster

signature-deffo.jpg
    Destroy All Monsters is probably my favorite of the old school Godzillas

CYpGAPn.png
    I have never seen Destroy All Monsters

dN0T6ur.png
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I have never seen Destroy All Monsters

The hell you say

signature-deffo.jpg
    Oh man it is pretty much a Godzilla Royal Rumble eith a monster free for all

Then everyone gangs up on King Ghidorah and it is amazing

CYpGAPn.png
    Man I can't help it

I wouldn't even know where to look for it now

dN0T6ur.png
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Catching up, I noticed Godzilla video games were discussed without mention of Super Godzilla for the Super NES. To this day, I regret selling my copy of it. While a bit silly, it was pretty fun an especially fun to wreck face if you unlocked the Super Godzilla form in the end. If I recall though, it lacked a savegame feature. So that kind of sucked.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    My first Godzilla movie might have been the 1998 one. But my first actual Godzilla movie was Mothra vs. Godzilla

uc3ufTB.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    So I ordered the Godzilla Criterion Blu-ray today

Should be here by Wednesday, oddly excited to watch it

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    So I ordered the Godzilla Criterion Blu-ray today

Should be here by Wednesday, oddly excited to watch it

It is awesome, even if you only judge it by the packaging:

6798757281_7f3f89ae70_o.jpg

I get irrationally annoyed when packaging uses the Godzilla suit from a completely different movie.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I watched hells of Godzilla movies when I was a kid, but it isn't even like I was renting a bunch
    but Sci-Fi channel used to show them all the damn time

I've never really been clear on the various "eras" though and I couldn't tell you which ones I've seen, though basically anything with Mechagodzilla or King Ghidorah is what mostly sticks out in my mind

There are three eras.

Showa was the first, running from the original Gojira to Terror of Mechagodzilla in 1975. Then the Japanese cinema crash happened and there were no more Godzilla movies till 1984.

In 1984, the Heisei era started with Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1984 and ran up to Godzilla vs. Destoroyah in 1995.

Finally there is the Millenium era, which is everything from Godzilla 2000 on, ending with Godzilla: Final Wars in 2004. Then Toho said Godzilla was taking a 10 year break and here we are.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I just remembered the Kaiju Girls.

b1ehrMM.gif
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I just remembered the Kaiju Girls.

Well now I did too, so thanks for that.