As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

black and white [chat]

• Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    To follow up that point, the inconsistency in the vitriol applied to drunk driving is doubly dismaying when it is compared to other kinds of conditions while driving that impair a person's capacity to drive and are just as dangerous.

Texting while driving. Talking on a handset while driving. Reading while driving. Fatigued driving (this one is especially bad because it's arguably even more prevalent and dangerous than drunk driving)

These aren't nearly as demonized as drunk driving yet they are all undertaken by people with full faculties and capacity for reason.

Unlike a drunk driver, whose capacity for reason and good decision making is on some level chemically impaired, a person who is texting while driving knows good god damn well what they are fucking doing and does it anyway.

But that doesn't have 30 years of MADD and other cultural pressures demonizing it and making it into an act of murder, so people don't see it the same way.

No, but they also didn't have seventy years of people doing them absolutely intentionally, often many nights every week, and having that not just condoned, but not even examined really.

Not to say I disagree with you even. Just a caveat.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Abolish the automobile system.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Being alive is not a dangerous activity

Driving a 1 ton death machine is a dangerous activity.

So you can be sober enough to be a full blown murderer for driving drunk, but not sober enough to consent to accepting the risk of riding with a drunk driver...

I don't know what the friend being drunk has to do with anything?

I posit that if the driver has enough agency to be held accountable for the actions of drunk driving, then the passenger who agreed to get in the car with him is not a victim but a willing participant.

So if the passenger in the car was sober would he be more or less responsible for dying in a car crash?

more, because you're stupid if you get in the car with a drunk driver. You're also stupid if you drive drunk. You're also stupid if you're drunk and you get in the car with a drunk driver, but not as stupid because you were drunk and didn't think things through.

But neither is the drunk driver an EVIL MURDERER.

They are someone who lacked the cognitive agency to fully explore the consequences of their actions.

I am not saying driving drunk is okay anymore than Pony is. I'm saying I reject that they are horrible evil murderers.
    Errr... this makes it sound like a mental condition that is wholly unexpected and can't be planned for

Which isn't the case, you know ahead of time when you drink that you'll have to at some point get home. You also know that drunk driving is illegal.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

No.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

So you can be sober enough to be a full blown murderer for driving drunk, but not sober enough to consent to accepting the risk of riding with a drunk driver...

I posit that if the driver has enough agency to be held accountable for the actions of drunk driving, then the passenger who agreed to get in the car with him is not a victim but a willing participant.

So if the passenger in the car was sober would he be more or less responsible for dying in a car crash?

more, because you're stupid if you get in the car with a drunk driver. You're also stupid if you drive drunk. You're also stupid if you're drunk and you get in the car with a drunk driver, but not as stupid because you were drunk and didn't think things through.

They are someone who lacked the cognitive agency to fully explore the consequences of their actions.

I am not saying driving drunk is okay anymore than Pony is. I'm saying I reject that they are horrible evil murderers.
    Errr... this makes it sound like a mental condition that is wholly unexpected and can't be planned for

Which isn't the case, you know ahead of time when you drink that you'll have to at some point get home. You also know that drunk driving is illegal.

You also know that getting in the car with someone drunk is fucking bonkers.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    I'd actually like to chime in that we should multiply mass transit a billion fold in America because driving everywhere all the time as your only option is bad for lots of reasons

override367 on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Trying Siri out some more:

"Play podcast"
    "Sorry, couldn't find pulled cost"

"Play podcast"

"Play podcast"

"Play podcast"

"Pl-ay pod" *snip*
    *"play hold"* *plays Gold by GZA"*

"Play podcast"

Siri is hilariously bad at anything but US accents.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    japan wrote: »

"Play podcast"

"Play podcast"

"Play podcast"

"Play podcast"

"Pl-ay pod" *snip*

"Play podcast"

Loooouuuuussssyyyyyyyyy!!

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    awww yea guess who doesn't have to work this weekend

balla

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

"Play podcast"

"Play podcast"

"Play podcast"

"Play podcast"

"Pl-ay pod" *snip*

"Play podcast"

Then you should do what most british actors do when they have to talk with an American Accent:

GO FULL TEXAN. YEEEEE HAW

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Aaaand i'm done with studying for now. I miscalculated my stuff and I think i'll be able to finish my studying in time and do decently at the exams! hurrah!

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Studies show that texting while driving is safe if you look up every once in a while

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    yeah but there aren't really any people outside of the US

• Options
    edited December 2013

Come on, really? The driver is responsible, he knows before he starts drinking that he's going to be responsible for things that happen while he's driving. This isn't that complicated

I think we can both agree texting while driving is dangerous because it impairs your abilities. If someone is texting when the driver gets them both killed is it their responsibility? No?

Because it's the driver's responsibility to not drive impaired!

override367 on
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    I'd actually like to chime in that we should multiply mass transit a billion fold in America because driving everywhere all the time as your only option is bad for lots of reasons

Sure, but we barely have the money to fix the non-maintenance in our current transportation system. We definitely don't have the money to overlay it with even a semi-comprehensive new one.

Maybe after we sort a bunch of other shit out.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    TL DR wrote: »

i actually quite enjoy driving automobiles

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Deebaser wrote: »

"Play podcast"

"Play podcast"

"Play podcast"

"Play podcast"

"Pl-ay pod" *snip*

"Play podcast"

Then you should do what most british actors do when they have to talk with an American Accent:

LOL! First try with my worst texan accent worked.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    This LPR system is trying to consume my soul with frustration.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    I think one aspect to consider is that a drunk driver was at one point not drunk. That time before they became drunk and had to drive was their onus for preparing for when they had to drive or leave the party or whatever. It wasn't like they were at a party and then becoming drunk just happened to them. They made the decision to change their state of being from sober to inebriated, when they still had to drive somewhere.

I'm not saying I don't agree with you Pony, in fact I do agree with part of your argument. I just think this right here is why we still hold them to some responsibility.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

"Play podcast"

"Play podcast"

"Play podcast"

"Play podcast"

"Pl-ay pod" *snip*

"Play podcast"

Hey now, Homeland has plenty of british actors (which seems silly) and none of them sound texan!

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2013

"Play podcast"

"Play podcast"

"Play podcast"

"Play podcast"

"Pl-ay pod" *snip*

"Play podcast"

This actually does work.

Using a comedy texan accent seems to render you comprehensible to Siri. Or at least, it did for the guy in the office with an iphone, which was the source of some amusement for a few days.

EDIT: Hah!

japan on
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular

Uhh there are tons of people who are completely impossible to read on their level of intoxication. Drunk people aren't always like something out of a fucking 1960s sitcom.

• Options

Sure, but we barely have the money to fix the non-maintenance in our current transportation system. We definitely don't have the money to overlay it with even a semi-comprehensive new one.

Maybe after we sort a bunch of other shit out.

We absolutely have enough money for all of those things, we just don't have the political will to both allocate it properly and raise the necessary funds

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

The American legal system looks very skeptically on intoxication as a defense to drunk driving because that is like the definition of circular reasoning

But some parts of the country agrees with LFHX's general argument that there ought to be some defense afforded, even if it is easily cleared by the prosecution

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    i should note that the main reason i dont have to work this weekend is that our building's power is being turned off

still

fuck the police

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    I think one aspect to consider is that a drunk driver was at one point not drunk. That time before they became drunk and had to drive was their onus for preparing for when they had to drive or leave the party or whatever. It wasn't like they were at a party and then becoming drunk just happened to them. They made the decision to change their state of being from sober to inebriated, when they still had to drive somewhere.

I'm not saying I don't agree with you Pony, in fact I do agree with part of your argument. I just think this right here is why we still hold them to some responsibility.

Sure

Which is why they're still guilty of a crime when they do it, and why they're guilty of a violent crime if they harm someone when they do it. All I was trying to point out was the inconsistency in screaming "MUR-DIDDLY-URD-LER!" at the whole thing, which I think you got.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

I think the point is that, regardless of their intent before they got to the party, or whenever, why do we hold them accountable for their decisions after they started drinking in this context, but in others, the act of drinking itself can be enough to say they are not accountable?

Like, say I went to the party fully intending to stay there, but after drinking, changed my mind and decided to drive.

If I change my mind after I started drinking, why is that a valid decision?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

Come on, really? The driver is responsible, he knows before he starts drinking that he's going to be responsible for things that happen while he's driving. This isn't that complicated

I think we can both agree texting while driving is dangerous because it impairs your abilities. If someone is texting when the driver gets them both killed is it their responsibility? No?

I agree, which is why drunk driving should be punished to discourage the behavior. However, that still doesn't make drunk drivers murderers. Manslaughterers? Maybe.

And it sure as fuck doesn't absolve the drunk friend that got back in the car with you of any responsibility and make them a 100% innocent victim. And to anticipate the question, yes I do think there is a damn sight bit of difference between that and "wearing that skirt", so lets not try to say I'm making this a broad stroke and saying all victims have some responsibility because I am not.

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »

The American legal system looks very skeptically on intoxication as a defense to drunk driving because that is like the definition of circular reasoning

But some parts of the country agrees with LFHX's general argument that there ought to be some defense afforded, even if it is easily cleared by the prosecution

I'm sympathetic to using it as a defense

As a first defense

And not to get someone off, but to mitigate punishment to something lesser. Young people don't know their limits, they don't know necessarily if they're drunk or not by the law's definition - I can empathize with that

Once you get a DUI that ship has sailed in my eyes though

• Options
    edited December 2013

Most people have agreed that the mental state that put you into intoxication is what effectively is your mens rea for the entirety of that state of time (presumably until your BAC lowers back to below illegal standards)

If you recklessly+ drank a lot in a situation that a reasonable person could foresee required driving afterwards, you'll get nailed for that.

Eddy on
  • Options
    Also when I tell Siri to google something she will Bing it.

I think all of this is just high level trolling!

• Options
    edited December 2013

I agree, which is why drunk driving should be punished to discourage the behavior. However, that still doesn't make drunk drivers murderers. Manslaughterers? Maybe.

And it sure as fuck doesn't absolve the drunk friend that got back in the car with you of any responsibility and make them a 100% innocent victim. And to anticipate the question, yes I do think there is a damn sight bit of difference between that and "wearing that skirt", so lets not try to say I'm making this a broad stroke and saying all victims have some responsibility because I am not.

Well I'd agree with this in a better world

In the world we live in, drunk drivers are often murderers in the eyes of the law, especially if they're a minority and only if they're poor

I'd only consider a drunk driver a murderer in extreme circumstances

override367 on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular

Sure

Which is why they're still guilty of a crime when they do it, and why they're guilty of a violent crime if they harm someone when they do it. All I was trying to point out was the inconsistency in screaming "MUR-DIDDLY-URD-LER!" at the whole thing, which I think you got.

And this I agree with.

Guys its like football role model Russell Wilson always says:

"Separation is in the preparation"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkz6cz-EvMO8qHuLSBm9P5eOsgMAjB3K7rIBUmKMaTnzkg7Z951A

Also Russell Wilson is a robot and therefore could not get drunk.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    "Tried as an adult" is a phrase that makes me deeply uncomfortable.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

So, if I was driving recklessly and got in an accident that killed my passenger and I was sober is that not murder?

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »

Most people have agreed that the mental state that put you into intoxication is what effectively is your mens rea for the entirety of that state of time (presumably until your BAC lowers back to below illegal standards)

If you recklessly+ drank a lot in a situation that a reasonable person could foresee required driving afterwards, you'll get nailed for that.

Yea, the actions you take you're responsible for

the actions others take on you, you are not responsible for (eg: drunk rape)

Now we could get into a discussion on where that line lies re: rape but that would be a really bad discussion because it always is

• Options

in what way

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Chanus wrote: »

I think the point is that, regardless of their intent before they got to the party, or whenever, why do we hold them accountable for their decisions after they started drinking in this context, but in others, the act of drinking itself can be enough to say they are not accountable?

Like, say I went to the party fully intending to stay there, but after drinking, changed my mind and decided to drive.

If I change my mind after I started drinking, why is that a valid decision?

Because our society has demanded that cars are essentially necessary in 99% of the country, even though driving is a highly dangerous and highly socially risky activity. You're putting a buttload of trust in other human beings not to be colossal fuck-ups, particularly when they're driving a 2ton babykiller

The decision requirements for such things are lowered for the sake of pragmatism and jurisprudence

Not to mention in your last scenario there isn't an intent to create a risky scenario by not driving (unless there was some necessity/emergency, like you refused to drive someone to the hospital? It gets murky there))

Eddy on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

If the law can treat children as adults for criminal proceedings, it should see them as adults period.

But, of course, that will never happen. Kids aren't people, haha, who am I kidding!

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

"Play podcast"

"Play podcast"

"Play podcast"

"Play podcast"

"Pl-ay pod" *snip*

"Play podcast"

LOL! First try with my worst texan accent worked.

Happy to drop a truth bomb on ya, pardner.

*touches the brim of his stetson hat*
    *rides off into the sunset*

This discussion has been closed.