As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2 injured, suspect dead in [Colorado School Shooting]

• Options
    HuuHuu Registered User regular
    The kid was obviously disturbed and what he did do was terrible. but I've seen several headlines today like:
    "Colorado Gunman Intended to Kill Many, Police Say"
    "Colorado school shooter came armed for slaughter"
    "Colorado school rampage lasted less than 2 minutes"

Like, is what did happen not bad enough? Why do the Cops/Media need to construct this massive counter-factual blood bath that didn't actually happen to scare people with. And I think it makes how we perceive the entire incident wrong.

I guess this is equally speculative, but from the facts we have this thing reads much more as a 'suicide but I'm taking that bastard with me' situation rather than a lets shoot everyone I can cause I'm fucking crazy. Evidenced by the fact that he shot 1 person( because 'that bastard' was out of reach) and then killed himself.

Well the cynic answer is "no". What happened isn't enough, because school shootings aren't that rare anymore. So the media has to exaggerate to get those sweet sweet page views/viewers.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    School shootings are actually incredibly rare

the change is instant media coverage every time one happens no matter where in the country it happens

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Yeah but how many kids say "I'm going to kill x" and actually mean it?

This is unacceptable behavior. It really is, stop trying to defend it.

If a guy threatens to rape a girl, do we let it pass with a "well he doesn't mean it."?

No! You let it be known that some things are just off limits. Threatening another human being should cause alarm, not apathy.

Not to mention, how is a teacher or students supposed to operate when some one is making death threats against them, and they are forced to interact with that person on a daily basis?

People who make those kinds of claims do that wither:

1. Think its hilarious and funny, and need to be taught that it is unacceptable.

Or

2. Dead serious and in need of help.

You don't want number 2 around others until they get help, and number 1 will not be hurt in any way by being punished.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    My thoughts, are reading the stories, you go all over the place. I don't know who made stuff up, but they can't all be right. I understand you want to be first, but I'm tired of this I'm going to be first. I would rather have correct than first, but I don't think media works that way anymore. Besides everyone having there agenda. :(

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Deadfall wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    ...The teacher apparently just ran when he heard he was being targeted?

That makes me angry. It's pretty stupid that it makes me angry - I mean, what is the guy supposed to do?

But it still makes me mad.

I guess I'm so used to reported acts of daring heroism that I'm now unfairly biased against people that do something more typical. :|

what

The shooter didn't know where the teacher was and was demanding to know where he was at while holding the gun.

Students warned the teacher who did the smart thing and left the building before the shooter could find him.

I was just flabbergasted that anyone could be angry that someone ran when targeted by a guy with a gun

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

the change is instant media coverage every time one happens no matter where in the country it happens

we might have enough schools in the us that it's rare statistically, but you can't argue that it's totally rare and at the same time happening frequently enough that simple media coverage just makes it seem like a lot.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited December 2013

That makes me angry. It's pretty stupid that it makes me angry - I mean, what is the guy supposed to do?

I guess I'm so used to reported acts of daring heroism that I'm now unfairly biased against people that do something more typical. :|

what

The shooter didn't know where the teacher was and was demanding to know where he was at while holding the gun.

Students warned the teacher who did the smart thing and left the building before the shooter could find him.

I was just flabbergasted that anyone could be angry that someone ran when targeted by a guy with a gun

Are you forgetting that he used his authority to bully a teenager to the point of breaking down?

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Erich Zahn wrote: »

what

Are you forgetting that he used his authority to bully a teenager to the point of breaking down?

Please cite where you found this interesting fact.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    People who are crying when they say it, literally every bully ever.
    Arapahoe High Gunman Held Strong Political Beliefs

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited December 2013

The teenage gunman who entered Arapahoe High School on Friday afternoon and shot two fellow students with a shotgun was outspoken about politics, was a gifted debater and might have been bullied for his beliefs, according to students who knew him.

Arapahoe County Sheriff Grayson Robinson identified the gunman as Karl Pierson, an 18-year-old student.

"He had very strong beliefs about gun laws and stuff," said junior Abbey Skoda, who was in a class with Pierson during her freshman year. "I also heard he was bullied a lot."

Robinson said that his department was investigating reports that Pierson was seeking to settle a score with a teacher after a confrontation.

What, exactly, about this section, the only part in that article that mentioned bullying, tells you that it was the teacher doing the bullying?

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not really seeing anything in that article that mentions that the teacher was involved with bullying the kid, which makes the claim speculation. The article certainly gives more credence to the idea that the kid was bullied.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Mill wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not really seeing anything in that article that mentions that the teacher was involved with bullying the kid, which makes the claim speculation. The article certainly gives more credence to the idea that the kid was bullied.

I'm not even sure it does that. The part that Caulk just quoted only has a person, who only had a single class with him two years prior, saying she heard he was. It's not exactly like they spoke to one of his friends (something I doubt anyone is jumping to proclaim them self right now) or anyone that actually knew him well.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »

we might have enough schools in the us that it's rare statistically, but you can't argue that it's totally rare and at the same time happening frequently enough that simple media coverage just makes it seem like a lot.

What? sure I can!

First by anecdote:
    1 wrote:
    While the pupils of the Meridian Street School were at play, Ben Corbery drew a revolver and shot Cora Brubach, aged 10, seriously wounding her in the face. The reason for the assault was that the girl had informed the teacher of Ben's misconduct
    2 wrote:
    George M. DeWolfe, aged 18, shot fellow graduate Lillian Thoroughgood, aged 17, then shot and killed himself in the head, during the school closing ceremonies
    3 wrote:
    15-year-old student Billy Prevatte fatally shot one teacher and injured two others at Maryland Park Junior High School after he had been reprimanded from the school
    4 wrote:
    Bob Smith, 18, took seven people hostage at Rose-Mar College of Beauty. Smith ordered the hostages to lie down on the floor in a circle. He then proceeded to shoot them in the head with a 22 caliber pistol. Four women and a three-year-old girl died, one woman and a baby were injured but survived. Police arrested Smith after the massacre.
    1: Brazil, Indiana, 1890
    2: Boston, Mass, 1906
    3: Maryland 1956
    4: Mesa, Arizona

Then by statistics: the number of shooting events per million citizens today is lower than it was in the 1890s or 1900s, even though we have an older average population and higher school attendance, yet I don't think we're gonna argue that the 1890s were a decade defined by fear of school shootings, are we? (they weren't)

Then by a joke I'm stealing from Dara O'Briain: Just because the media spends all their time talking about something doesn't make it NOT incredibly rare. In fact did you know that coverage of zombie attacks is at an all-time high, yet zombie attacks are actually at an all time low?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Robinson said that his department was investigating reports that Pierson was seeking to settle a score with a teacher after a confrontation.

The teacher was supposed to be an adult. At no point should that confrontation have escalated to tears, death threats, and a suspension.

• Options

The teacher was supposed to be an adult. At no point should that confrontation have escalated to tears, death threats, and a suspension.

Still conjecture, since we don't know the content of the confrontation, beyond death threat and suspension.

And where are you getting this bit about the tears?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    People who are crying when they say it, literally every bully ever.
    Arapahoe High Gunman Held Strong Political Beliefs

Uh ... that article does not support your contention.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

I'm curious how this is the teachers fault.

What are you basing this on, other than the rank assumption that teenagers do not commit violent crimes unless some adult instigates it?

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    cnn.com/2013/12/14/us/colorado-school-gunman-karl-pierson/
    One neighbor described him as bright but a social misfit whose peers ridiculed him. His mother had transferred him from another high school because of the mockery and altercations, the neighbor said.

He was definitely bullied at his last school. Considering his outspoken political beliefs, I don't think it is too much of a stretch to say that could have continued after the transfer. But I've seen nothing suggesting the faculty was involved.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Have they said what these beliefs were?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    From what the article above says, fairly liberal.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

How have you come to the conclusion that any of it was the teacher's fault? How do you know there were tears? Why are you making things up?

• Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

While you are right, saying "Communism is fairly liberal" would be the same as saying "an anarchist is pretty right-wing"
    Communism as a system is a too specific of a system to just toss out as "ooh, it's a liberal idea"

I wonder if he realized that he himself was the Bourgeois that he was trying to rise up against?

Also, would someone enlighten me: I thought that in the US, when you're in high school you're usually picked up in a school bus or dropped of by a parent. (Worst case: walk to school)
    It would seem to me that you'd arouse suspicion if you carried around a shotgun in those circumstances. ("It's bring your loaded shotgun to school day, MOM, don't be such a square!")

But maybe he had his own car? They didn't encourage cars where I studied mostly because parking was very limited.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure most U.S. Schools allow students with a license and a car to drive to school.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Yeah most U.S. high school students with a car will drive to school. And given this was Colorado space for parking almost definitely wasn't an issue.

The care put in to picking up and dropping off is also only really a thing in elementary school since the kids are so much younger.

• Options
    Have they said what these beliefs were?

So, it actually turns out his parents are divorced (separated in 2011), he lives with his mother and sister (mom kept the house), his mother worked for Douglas County School District (possibly still does and, according to one of his friends, the shooter was a vocal, self-proclaimed communist. He bought the gun ten days ago.

I wasn't joking around when I posted that.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    So, it's worse than initially reported: the young woman was shot in the head at point blank range.

Apparently it'll be no small miracle if she survives, and she'll probably be horribly disfigured in any case.

Lovely holiday gift.

As far as the shooter (who also had a fucking machete with him, because what else says, "I'm a force for social justice!" like arming yourself with the choice weapon of genocidal armies?) offing himself because 'remorse' - he apparently managed to get himself trapped in the library after lighting the bookshelves on fire with his bombs, and killed himself after that.

Whether or not you want to describe that as monstrous behavior or not is up to you, I guess.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Dibbit wrote: »

While you are right, saying "Communism is fairly liberal" would be the same as saying "an anarchist is pretty right-wing"
    Communism as a system is a too specific of a system to just toss out as "ooh, it's a liberal idea"

I wonder if he realized that he himself was the Bourgeois that he was trying to rise up against?

Nothing I've read says he was communist. Only that he hated the GOP and espoused Keynesian economic ideas.

• Options

Nothing I've read says he was communist. Only that he hated the GOP and espoused Keynesian economic ideas.

cnn.com/2013/12/14/us/colorado-school-gunman-karl-pierson/?c=&page=2
    Senior Chris Davis, 18, was among many students Saturday trying to make sense of Pierson's shooting rampage.

"He was a weird kid," Davis said. "He's a self-proclaimed communist, just wears Soviet shirts all the time."

Pierson became easily aggravated, "always liked to be right" and didn't like losing, Davis said.

npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=250900434
    Students and a teacher described Pierson as a smart and sometimes goofy student who often talked about his beliefs during class, sometimes even debating his teachers. They said he was outspoken about his Communist-leaning political views.

cbsnews.com/news/sheriff-colorado-gunman-entered-school-heavily-armed-intending-to-harm-many/
    Students said Pierson held communist views and liked to discuss current events and issues, offering his own solutions. None said Pierson was bullied for his beliefs.

And, of course, the right-wing blogosphere is on this like a fat kid on cake...I don't recommend a google search.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Of course they are. Because why miss an opportunity to score cheap political points and rile up your base?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm getting tired of the "find out what makes killers tick" line of thinking every time this comes up. The guy happened to have communist beliefs. There's nothing in communist ideology about killing teachers wantonly. They are not related, and even if they were, most liberals are not communists.

Yet "he was left wing!" is going to be what we hear from the conservative blogosphere. Not because it was relevant, but because they think this is a victory for their side. It's sickening to me.

• Options
    edited December 2013

Senior Chris Davis, 18, was among many students Saturday trying to make sense of Pierson's shooting rampage.

"He was a weird kid," Davis said. "He's a self-proclaimed communist, just wears Soviet shirts all the time."

Pierson became easily aggravated, "always liked to be right" and didn't like losing, Davis said.

Students and a teacher described Pierson as a smart and sometimes goofy student who often talked about his beliefs during class, sometimes even debating his teachers. They said he was outspoken about his Communist-leaning political views.

cbsnews.com/news/sheriff-colorado-gunman-entered-school-heavily-armed-intending-to-harm-many/
    Students said Pierson held communist views and liked to discuss current events and issues, offering his own solutions. None said Pierson was bullied for his beliefs.

And, of course, the right-wing blogosphere is on this like a fat kid on cake...I don't recommend a google search.

I don't trust what any american I don't know calls "communist-leaning belief". They all Obama a communist.

If his beliefs put him in conflict with the people around him, they may be conservative enough that progressive liberalism is what they call "communism".

shryke on
  • Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that, like most teenagers, he probably didn't have a fully formed political ideology yet.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that, like most teenagers, he probably didn't have a fully formed political ideology yet.

Like a little something like facts and common sense would ever get in the way of media sensationalism.

• Options
    I'm getting tired of the "find out what makes killers tick" line of thinking every time this comes up. The guy happened to have communist beliefs. There's nothing in communist ideology about killing teachers wantonly. They are not related, and even if they were, most liberals are not communists.

Yet "he was left wing!" is going to be what we hear from the conservative blogosphere. Not because it was relevant, but because they think this is a victory for their side. It's sickening to me.

Well, yes...both sides do it whenever a bad actor espouses an opposing political view. Hell, @Trace very well may owe us a testicle after his attempt to blame this on the Right earlier in the thread.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    I tend to sympathize with the "crazies gonna crazy" sentiment most people usually express.

Now, if a part of an ideology does cause terrible things then I take issue with the ideology itself, but that clearly isn't what happened in this instance.

• Options
    I tend to sympathize with the "crazies gonna crazy" sentiment most people usually express.

Now, if a part of an ideology does cause terrible things then I take issue with the ideology itself, but that clearly isn't what happened in this instance.

I really dislike the 'crazies gonna crazy' sentiment. It suggests that all violent crime is perpetrated solely by clinical psychopaths & comes from some Other force; that violence in society is not only incomprehensible, but that we shouldn't even try to understand how it happens.

Obviously it's stupid to attribute a blanket political ideology to violent crime or to suppose that there is some criminal behavior bomb fuse waiting to be discovered, but 'crazy' isn't even an appropriate label to begin with, and I think it's a very worthwhile pursuit to try and find out what environmental factors contribute towards violent behavior.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    It's kind of silly to attribute a fully-formed political identity to a suburban white kid who is still in high school. He does seem to have had a good head for parsing out those sorts of ideas, but there isn't a whole lot of opportunity to test those beliefs in that arena. The stuff I'm seeing from him is definitely left-leaning, but the odds that he had any idea what communism is really about growing up in an affluent Denver suburb are pretty low.

But it's also a complete cop out to just throw our collective hands in the air whenever something like this happens and shout "he was crazy, nothing to see here!" like human behavior is somehow completely inscrutable to us. This kid grew up in a society (America) where we really like the idea of solving our issues with violence, specifically gun violence. So many of our heroic figures and cultural role models carry guns and use them rather liberally. Hell, I shot some (virtual) dudes from my couch just this morning and was given a (virtual) trophy for it. It felt great! To assume that those images and ideas, combined with access to firearms, didn't contribute here doesn't make any sense.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Of course they are. Because why miss an opportunity to score cheap political points and rile up your base?

What's good for the gun-control goose is good for the free-market gander I guess?

Liberals don't get to be outraged about this aspect, especially considering the liberal outrage about how ineffective they were at political success on the back of the last couple of incidents.

spool32 on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

I don't trust what any american I don't know calls "communist-leaning belief". They all Obama a communist.

If his beliefs put him in conflict with the people around him, they may be conservative enough that progressive liberalism is what they call "communism".

Not helping your case much to argue that bog-standard progressive liberalism is what motivated him. :p

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

What's good for the gun-control goose is good for the free-market gander I guess?

Liberals don't get to be outraged about this aspect, especially considering the liberal outrage about how ineffective they were at political success on the back of the last couple of incidents.
    Let's not discount the hypocrisy running the other direction, though.

If "right wing, anti-government type" isn't a reasonable point of conversation about a shooter, as we've been told time and time that it isn't, then "teenage conceptual communist" shouldn't be either.

Let's see how that plays out.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.