As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, December 13, 2013 - Netiquette

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited December 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    At first panel I was like, "Ehhh, it's debatable if a kid can be in the presence of video game violence. Hell I was and I'm not a psychopath."

At the second panel it was like, "Oh right, saying horrible shit."

welp

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Infinity Ward Cleaver

• Options
    miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    streams can get crazy also i'm loving all the streams from gabe's ps4 lately keep them coming : D

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I can't tell if it's worse than those occasional headset users of last gen - there'd be silence from them, maybe an infrequent mumbled phrase, while a baby cries in the background.

Eeeeugh. I still wake up in the dead of night.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Infinity Ward Cleaver

God fucking dammit Tube! I rushed here to post this goddamn joke!

Also, in CoD Dad's defense, CoD pubbies are the worst.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Is that a real quote from the guy's stream?
    Please say it isn't a real quote.

• Options
    It probably isn't an actual quote. Just your typical CoD player caricature.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    It probably isn't an actual quote. Just your typical CoD player caricature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Researching the reference in the first panel has led me to the revelation that there was a kid on American TV whose name was "The Beaver" Cleaver.

The 50's were simpler times.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    "Ward, you were a little rough on The Beaver last night."

• Options
    foodlefoodle Registered User regular
    Found the streams last night. The "kid" in the real streams is much older (at least 15 or 16) and he's playing co-op with his dad. However, what the dad yells is pretty close to what's in the comic.

• Options
    OmegaDezOmegaDez CanadaRegistered User regular
    "Netiquette"
    I can't believe that title wasn't already used before.
    In fact, do the PA guys really find unique titles for every strips? How can they keep track of all the things they used in those 15 years?

My own comic is like 40 strip long so far, and I'm already coming up with titles I already used without realizing.

• Options
    OmegaDez wrote: »
    How can they keep track of all the things they used in those 15 years?
    1) Keep list of titles in word processing or spreadsheet program.
    2) Use "search" function.

• Options
    OmegaDezOmegaDez CanadaRegistered User regular
    foodle wrote: »
    OmegaDez wrote: »
    How can they keep track of all the things they used in those 15 years?
    1) Keep list of titles in word processing or spreadsheet program.
    2) Use "search" function.

Sometimes, I wish I was that smart and well-organized. :)

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

Dirtiest line on television and they got away with it for years.

• Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    I play COD with my son in the room, except I use a headset for sound and don't use voice chat unless I'm playing with friends (which normally only happens when he's gone to bed). Even then, as a parent I've gotten very good and eliminating swears from my general vocabulary when I know he's nearby.

• Options
    NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    How long until we see kids raised from birth, specifically to be good at particular videogames? Like you get talented kids trained to play tennis or soccer from the age of like 6. Will we have CoD academies in the future?

And if so... will they instill a code of honour and decorum... or will they instead teach players to be the ultimate trolls?

These are burning questions.

Neuroskeptic on
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    How long until we see kids raised from birth, specifically to be good at particular videogames?

Well, in some places like South Korea, you can make a decent living playing games professionally. As for raising kids for a particular game, that's unlikely since even games that endure (Star Craft, Counterstrike, WoW) only last a comparatively short time. Most likely, you'll see people specialize in particular types of games (fighters, RTS, etc.) and play whatever is the latest incarnation. There's no stability in the rules/games like in sports.

But like in pro sports, it'll probably be a win-at-all-costs environment. If honor and decorum reduce the chances of winning, they are out the window.

foodle on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    How long until we see kids raised from birth, specifically to be good at particular videogames? Like you get talented kids trained to play tennis or soccer from the age of like 6. Will we have CoD academies in the future?

And if so... will they instill a code of honour and decorum... or will they instead teach players to be the ultimate trolls?

These are burning questions.

The problem with training some one to be good at videogames its that very few video games last long enough to actually train some one for.

Starcraft is kinda the exception, it had a good decade.

Doom, Quake II, and other classics had active communites. BUt no where near the amount to bring in big MLG $$$

Games that do (Halo, Gears, CoD) get changed around every couple of years. Sports do not get the radical changes these types of games do.

Imagine training you child on CoD2, and then Modern Warfare hits. Perks, Customization, Killstreaks, Automatic weapons everywhere, new maps to memorize.

I know that with most triple AAA titles people complain that not enough has changed, its still the same game. At that is true sometimes, in fact all the time to people who are not hardcore fans of the series.

But to people who are hardcore fans of a series, who dedicate their free time to learning a game, even the smallest changes can have huge effects.

I loved Halo Reach. I hate Halo 4. The loadouts, killstreaks, and random weapons drops that we add in 4 hurt my enjoyment of the game. It felt very different than want I was used to, even though to most it would look and play like the same old Halo.

Few games have the staying power to be popular enough to teach a child to master. Most evolve from game to game and squeals roll out, making it a moving target and resetting all progress every 1-2 years.

So no, I do not think that people will train their child to be good at video games. There is a very serious answer to what was probably a joke.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited December 2013

Dirtiest line on television and they got away with it for years.

Dirtiest?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xmAC9Qu908

Narbus on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yeah, just train your kid to be good at chess from birth, if you want to do that sort of thing.

Chess hasn't had a major rule change in good 150 years or so.

Seems a stable enough bet.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    there's actually some thought among chess aficionados that the rules ought to be changed or a greater variety of moves be allowed, since at the highest level the game has grown fairly rote and relies on players memorizing long move sequences (this is why supercomputers can play chess so effectively, compared to other games of strategy.)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    there's actually some thought among chess aficionados that the rules ought to be changed or a greater variety of moves be allowed, since at the highest level the game has grown fairly rote and relies on players memorizing long move sequences (this is why supercomputers can play chess so effectively, compared to other games of strategy.)

There has been a lot of proposed solution to the problems of chess, but very little agreement to those solutions, or to what the problems even are.

Openings can be memorized and end games can be calculated, certainly. But the last world championship of chess was still decided by human factors, by psychology, by applying pressure and complicating the situation and one player breaking and making a mistake. It's not just whoever is better at memorizing wins.

Any game that has been around as long as chess and has been studied as intently as chess is going to have elements that become fairly rote. I'm not sure if patching chess is really the answer. That's the approach most video games seem to take these days. Patch things frequently enough and change things drastically enough that people can't really dig in and find everything that is broken and make the game rote. Just change things often enough that by the time people figure out what is broken, something new is broken. It gets really tiresome, personally.

• Options
    NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    If they patch chess, they should nerf rooks, which are seriously OP right now.