As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Monday, December 16, 2013 - Relative Wisdom

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited December 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I have experienced this gift giving before.

I have been Myrrh guy, and it sucks.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Centurion13Centurion13 Registered User regular
    Actually, myrrh was worth its weight in gold back in those days (and sometimes more) due to scarcity and its multiple uses. Myrrh would have been a heckuva good gift back in those days. Actually, I wish I had some now.

• ChampChamp Registered User regular
    The hells with the brain tumor in panel 1?

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    This is probably my favorite PA in the past few years. Love the writing.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Sometimes myrrh is less.

YL9WnCY.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    God bless us, every one.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Actually, myrrh was worth its weight in gold back in those days (and sometimes more) due to scarcity and its multiple uses. Myrrh would have been a heckuva good gift back in those days. Actually, I wish I had some now.

Sure but isn't it mostly medicinal?

Seems kinda wasted on Jesus.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I was taught that it was a symbol of the fact that he would die for our sins, as it was used to anoint dead bodies.

"Congratulations on your new baby - here's a sober reminder of his mortality. Oh also, this is for his birthday and Christmas present..."

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It smells nice! Butter up that babby Jesus with some myrrh, you got yerself a concealer for the boom boom stank on the Bread of Life

Oh brilliant
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Sure but isn't it mostly medicinal?

Seems kinda wasted on Jesus.

It was also used in perfume and incense.
    Actually all of the gifts are highly symbolic (frankincense being an indispensable part of religious ceremony. The import of frankincense into the roman empire was so great and expensive that it was probably THE biggest contributor to the collapse of the roman monetary system).

They were the traditional gift to kings to symbolize their power both as worldly and religious rulers. Especially in the levant where myrrh was a part of the oil of anointment used to crown kings and high priests (messiah means "the annointed one").
    So by giving him these three gifts they're basically declaring him to be a Holy king.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    They could have stopped after panel 1 and this would still be an excellent comic.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    This is why you stick with Hillshire Farms. Everyone throws in some cash and BOOM! giftbasket.

"The three wise men descended upon Bethlehem to bestow upon the young king of kings a gift of summer sausage, some kind of nutty cheese log and tiny jars of gross mustard."

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    God bless us, every one.

And a very myrrhy Christmas to none!

NNID: Rehab0
  • wormspeakerwormspeaker Objectively Terrible Registered User regular
    BTW, Joseph should be drawn as a 90 year old man, and Mary should be just under 15. But accuracy has never been a big part of any religion.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    BTW, Joseph should be drawn as a 90 year old man, and Mary should be just under 15. But accuracy has never been a big part of any religion.

Yes because a man who still worked as a carpenter, and went on to have several more kids with Mary, is clearly 90 years old. I also love how there's never any specific mention of either person's age in biblical texts, but apparently we know exactly how old they should be!

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    This is why you stick with Hillshire Farms. Everyone throws in some cash and BOOM! giftbasket.

"The three wise men descended upon Bethlehem to bestow upon the young king of kings a gift of summer sausage, some kind of nutty cheese log and tiny jars of gross mustard."

And Jesus cherished that gross plasticky taste well into his adulthood.

215535530_HrGVx-L-2.jpg

• Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    In that last comic I was never sure if buying the Hickory Farms is the gift that would damn them both, or if that was the backup gift because they weren't going to buy Tycho a slave giraffe.

Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    In that last comic I was never sure if buying the Hickory Farms is the gift that would damn them both, or if that was the backup gift because they weren't going to buy Tycho a slave giraffe.
    It's the backup gift.

This comic reminds me of a Family Guy cutaway from a few years ago. Can't seem to find the clip on Youtube.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    It's the backup gift.

This comic reminds me of a Family Guy cutaway from a few years ago. Can't seem to find the clip on Youtube.

I think i know the one you're talking about. Where the wisemen had all agreed on a $20 limit, and they find out the one guy brought gold. I think they all wanted to pool the gifts or something. Funny stuff.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Mr.FahrenheitMr.Fahrenheit Registered User regular

Can't seem to find the clip on Youtube.

Thank God

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    t was a good joke.

it still is i guess....

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    My best friends father is an Episcopal Priest. He found this comic an absolute delight =)

• SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    Myrrh is the stuff you rub on the back of a duck to make it go faster, right?

heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • roflstomproflstomp Registered User regular
    Myrrh are those artifact creatures from Mirrodin, right?

• ChickeenChickeen Registered User regular
    Now I want to watch Life Of Brian. Don't worry to much about the Myrrh next time, alright?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIjBO26qjYM

• KenninatorKenninator Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »

Yes because a man who still worked as a carpenter, and went on to have several more kids with Mary, is clearly 90 years old. I also love how there's never any specific mention of either person's age in biblical texts, but apparently we know exactly how old they should be!

Aren't there a lot of superhumanly-old people in the bible? Like Moses? I don't know about Joseph but it wouldn't be out of place given the rest of the book.

• FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    Kenninator wrote: »

Aren't there a lot of superhumanly-old people in the bible? Like Moses? I don't know about Joseph but it wouldn't be out of place given the rest of the book.

Early on in the book. Once you get to Moses you're basically back to your regular old life span, as it starts declining post-flood. As far as I remember, there is literally nothing to indicate the ages of Mary or Joseph. I read some article once that took the average ages of married couples and applied it to them, but that was hardly specific.

Thing to keep in mind that once you get to said Mary and Joseph you're back to the "known history" era. Most things we know about the Roman Empire and the world of its day seem to apply.

• ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    BTW, Joseph should be drawn as a 90 year old man

Maybe you're thinking of Zechariah, father of John the Baptist? He (and his wife Elizabeth, a relative of Mary's) are said to be old, too old to have children.

As has already been said- the very long lifespans were almost exclusively prior to the flood. That's not even all the way through the very first book in the bible!

You see some mid 100s after that, but they decline quite rapidly down to 90 being a very respectable age during the kingdom eras. By the time we're into fully recorded history, such as during the Roman occupation of Israel, we're down to very regular lifespans.

So, yeah, to say that Joseph would have to have been 90 is just ignorance at best, or trolling at worst ;) Mary being young is entirely possible, but again it is also completely unknown. She could've been 16, could've been 21.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    If you want to be offended at revisionist depictions of Jesus, look no further than Caucasian Savior. Comics can take some liberties because they're comics.

But yeah, show me where the Bible says the ages of Mary and Joseph.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

As has already been said- the very long lifespans were almost exclusively prior to the flood. That's not even all the way through the very first book in the bible!

You see some mid 100s after that, but they decline quite rapidly down to 90 being a very respectable age during the kingdom eras. By the time we're into fully recorded history, such as during the Roman occupation of Israel, we're down to very regular lifespans.

So, yeah, to say that Joseph would have to have been 90 is just ignorance at best, or trolling at worst ;) Mary being young is entirely possible, but again it is also completely unknown. She could've been 16, could've been 21.

SHE WAS 19!

• thegreedyturtlethegreedyturtle Registered User new member
    Just as a random fun fact. Frankincense and Myrrh were used for burial rituals, so they were literally giving baby Jesus (my favorite Jesus) the tools to bury him later in life.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    My in-laws gave us frankincense when they returned from their trip to Italy.

Shit stinks.

Just as a random fun fact. Frankincense and Myrrh were used for burial rituals, so they were literally giving baby Jesus (my favorite Jesus) the tools to bury him later in life.

Myrrh was also commonly used in the coronation of monarchy- yet another piece of symbolism.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

You think during the crucifixion two of the magi were somewhere in the crowd?

"Hey Mary! You got that stuff we gave you? It'd be real handy to have some myrrh right about now, huh?"

If you want to be offended at revisionist depictions of Jesus, look no further than Caucasian Savior. Comics can take some liberties because they're comics.

But yeah, show me where the Bible says the ages of Mary and Joseph.

I have it on the best Fox News authority that Jesus, Santa, and Martin Luther King were all as blindingly white as the driven snow.

As white as the plainest white rice in a white bowl, cooked by a white man.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    KalTorak wrote: »

You think during the crucifixion two of the magi were somewhere in the crowd?

"Hey Mary! You got that stuff we gave you? It'd be real handy to have some myrrh right about now, huh?"

"You said was a gift for Jesus, and he used it all when he was twelve and his dog died.

"Stunk the house up, by the way - you basically gave him the olfactory equivalent of a drumkit."

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    i-T3J3bfZ.jpg

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Can't seem to find the clip on Youtube.

Thank God
    Because then you'd be forced to click on it?

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch