As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moments of the Week for 09/06/07

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Personally, I've always disliked the fact that for all their earth-shattering power, somehow nobody really gets hurt in a super fight. You give a dozen gang members knives and throw them in an arena, and people are gonna wind up dead, you give them the power of a demigod and nobody gets anything worse than knocked out. It's the equivalent of GI Joe cartoons where you'd have armies fighting, and at the end of the battle all the vehicles would be blown up but all the enemy soldiers would just be captured.

Realistically, characters should be dying in every issue with a serious fight, and I'd enjoy a comic line where characters did get seriously hurt or killed every few issues (and not just heroes like
    Gadget or New Warrior Stiltgirl
    who existed for all of a couple pages before they died.

Bring on the gritty, imo

Scooter on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Virral wrote: »
    Me too, it's much better to just suspend your disbelief and accept it rather than to extrapolate what would really happen. In the real world registration probably doesn't go far enough, I suspect any superpowered individuals who weren't in the military/government would be hunted down and quietly executed for being a danger to the general populace.

Not to contribute to the every-thread-a-chat-thread fad, but I really think Civil War could have worked a lot better as an Ultimate-universe title. The framework (crazy jingoist pretty much a fascist Nick Fury drafting superhumans at age 18, Hulk eating people, etc) is already there.

DouglasDanger on
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    i think im gonna start to pick up ms. marvel. her team is starting to shape up nice.

she's got a bunch of cool b-lister's on the team, which i think is AWESOME for marvel to start doing again. i dont need new characters, just revamped old ones.

so far, shes got Arana, Machine Man, and sleepwalker.

really, who doesnt love a vodka drinking robot man?
    and sleepwalker i always felt was awesome but always got a shaft from the writters. im glad they brought him back. and im REALLY glad they got rid of wonder-man. his character leaves little to care about.

delphinus on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Simply, blaming the Hulk for the deaths attributed to him would be like:
    1) Persecuting Jean for all the deaths the phoenix force has caused.
    2) Persecuting Captain America for enemies he killed in combat.

But the point does stand that he causes misery for everyone, ESPECIALLY himself, it is one of his defining characteristics.

Um, Jean isn't responsible for the Pheonix's killings because it wasn't Jean who killed anyone: the Phoenix Force created a duplicate of Jean and it was that duplicate that went insane. Since Jean herself merged with the Phoenix Force, it hasn't killed anyone.

As for Captain America: anyone he killed as a soldier was (unless otherwise indicated by evidence) simply a casualty of war. Of course, were he alive, Rogers would have been fully liable for the deaths caused by his insurrection.

You are agreeing with him.

No, I'm not: the Hulk is entirely to blame for the deaths caused over the years, because he was a wild animal. Even in his idiot-stage, he is responsible in that way. The only killings he's not responsible for are ones where he's directly mind-controlled, and I don't think that's any significant number.

Hulk should be destroyed; it's just nonsense that Strange or some other cosmic-powered person hasn't teleported him into a black hole or something of that ilk.

mattharvest on
    edited September 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    Personally, I've always disliked the fact that for all their earth-shattering power, somehow nobody really gets hurt in a super fight. You give a dozen gang members knives and throw them in an arena, and people are gonna wind up dead, you give them the power of a demigod and nobody gets anything worse than knocked out. It's the equivalent of GI Joe cartoons where you'd have armies fighting, and at the end of the battle all the vehicles would be blown up but all the enemy soldiers would just be captured.

Realistically, characters should be dying in every issue with a serious fight, and I'd enjoy a comic line where characters did get seriously hurt or killed every few issues (and not just heroes like
    Gadget or New Warrior Stiltgirl
    who existed for all of a couple pages before they died.

Bring on the gritty, imo

It reminds me of the Family Guy episode where they're imitating the A-Team. As they approach a logging crew, they have their guns drawn. The crew are freaked out, and ask if they're going to kill them. Peter replies that they're going to just shoot the ground around their feet, and cause their car to flip in the air. Peter is sure that they'll be fine, getting out of the cars and shaking their heads.

Of course, the crew guy knows this to be nonsense, and tells a story of a low-speed collision that ruined his buddy's neck.

The point is, yeah, people with these powers fighting in a city are going to injure and kill people collaterally. That doesn't mean none of them are responsible: far from it, all of them are. That's the point of SHRA, and the point of exiling Hulk.

mattharvest on
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

No, I'm not: the Hulk is entirely to blame for the deaths caused over the years, because he was a wild animal. Even in his idiot-stage, he is responsible in that way. The only killings he's not responsible for are ones where he's directly mind-controlled, and I don't think that's any significant number.

Hulk should be destroyed; it's just nonsense that Strange or some other cosmic-powered person hasn't teleported him into a black hole or something of that ilk.

Wrong, While mind controlled Hulk is certainly the minority in terms of killing, the only significant amount of casualties ever attributed to the Hulk is when his mind was literally removed from him by Doc Sampson. He was completely catatonic and nothing more than a brainless lump of muscle till Sampson put on a mind stimulator and woke up a version of the Hulk that was pure bestial instinct and caused the "thousands" of deaths that was retconned to be attributed to him.

This Hulk, just like Fake Jean was a creature that was not the Hulk in any way, and was literally destroyed when it and Banner were merged back together.

If I took out your brain and somehow implanted a device to control your body and drive your car into a crowd of people, then put the brain back in, would you be responsible?

Anyways, I don't want to derail this thread any more than it has already, so if you want to continue it, take it to the WWH thread or start a new one, or just PM me.

And as for my moment of the week?
    I liked the Hulk book, but felt it needed a bit more action in the beginning, then less at the end (Cho pebble powers is kinda Hax for instance).

EclecticGroove on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You do realize that the pebble thing is the sort of thing Cho always does, right?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    You do realize that the pebble thing is the sort of thing Cho always does, right?

It's still hax.

At least what he did with the Shield ship and the radio thing could be somewhat more believable.

EclecticGroove on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    delphinus wrote: »
    i think im gonna start to pick up ms. marvel. her team is starting to shape up nice.

she's got a bunch of cool b-lister's on the team, which i think is AWESOME for marvel to start doing again. i dont need new characters, just revamped old ones.

and sleepwalker i always felt was awesome but always got a shaft from the writters. im glad they brought him back. and im REALLY glad they got rid of wonder-man. his character leaves little to care about.

Sleepwalker in human form (can never remember his name) is like the straight man to Stack's insanity. It works perfectly and I love the reactiosn Ms Marvel and the rest have to his superior robot sex appeal.

KVW on
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    KVW wrote: »

Sleepwalker in human form (can never remember his name) is like the straight man to Stack's insanity. It works perfectly and I love the reactiosn Ms Marvel and the rest have to his superior robot sex appeal.

rick sheridan. i wondered where he disappeared off to all this time. its good that we got an explanation, i always felt that he had one of the coolest powers and origins. (who's stack?)

delphinus on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    KVW wrote: »

rick sheridan. i wondered where he disappeared off to all this time. its good that we got an explanation, i always felt that he had one of the coolest powers and origins. (who's stack?)

Machine Man is Aaron Stack.

KVW on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Which book is this? I had a few Sleepwalker comics when I was younger, and I need to buy at least one issue of this, just to see what he's up to.

Me Too! on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The newest Ms. Marvel. There is an issue before the latest one, where he's on the cover, but he is not in the fucking comic, which had me confused. Now he is. In the fucking comic.

august on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Sweet. I'll pick it up next time I go to the shop.

Me Too! on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Heh, speaking of superhero collateral damage, I have this x-men comic from the 90's that I thought was really bad about that. It has Cannonball fighting Gladiator, and cannonball is thinking 'I've got to get this fight away from all the people in the city!' (they're fighting in new york...at christmas). But then he basically smashes him THROUGH several buildings.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2007
    august wrote: »
    The newest Ms. Marvel. There is an issue before the latest one, where he's on the cover, but he is not in the fucking comic, which had me confused. Now he is. In the fucking comic.

Not true. Sleepwalker and Aaron Stack were both in the last few pages of that issue. Those two were pretty cool in this issue, though.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ms. Marvel's team needs to add one more person.

Eric O' Grady.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »

Not true. Sleepwalker and Aaron Stack were both in the last few pages of that issue. Those two were pretty cool in this issue, though.

Well let's remember that Sleepwalker is the entity from the Mindscape that emerges from Rick Sheridan's head whilst Rick is sleeping; this might be the cause of the confusion.

mattharvest on
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Htown wrote: »
    Ms. Marvel's team needs to add one more person.

Eric O' Grady.

He's gonna be appearing in Avengers: The Intiative

Maximum on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Heh, speaking of superhero collateral damage, I have this x-men comic from the 90's that I thought was really bad about that. It has Cannonball fighting Gladiator, and cannonball is thinking 'I've got to get this fight away from all the people in the city!' (they're fighting in new york...at christmas). But then he basically smashes him THROUGH several buildings.

All of that aside, I thought that was a sweet issue. Cannonball kicked Gladiator's ass.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I also own that comic and after reading it had my opinion of Cannonball changed completely. I'd much rather see mutants learning to use their powers in new and interesting ways instead of just slapping a "secondary mutation" label on their forehead and making them do completely different shit powerwise.

Caveman Paws on
    edited September 2007
    Fortunately it seems after Emma and Beast they stopped doing that. I mean, I don't mind a few neat cases of it, but if they'd started doing it with all the mutants it would've gotten stupid.

Scooter on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fortunately it seems after Emma and Beast they stopped doing that. I mean, I don't mind a few neat cases of it, but if they'd started doing it with all the mutants it would've gotten stupid.
    It would make more sense that the mutations 'mature' rather than being a 'secondary mutation'. Also, Emma's is a little different from everyone else's.

Fencingsax on
    edited September 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    It would make more sense that the mutations 'mature' rather than being a 'secondary mutation'. Also, Emma's is a little different from everyone else's.

I believe you're referring to Emma's 'secondary mutation' being a creation of Cassandra Nova?

As to the whole secondary mutation thing: I like it. It makes sense that, given a single x-gene that accounts for every mutant on the planet, sometimes an individual who manifest more than one aspect. Hell, that already happens given that most mutants have a whole suite of mutations (healing factor + enhanced senses, agility + muscle size + prehensile toes, etc.).

mattharvest on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

*cough cough (Angel/Jay Guthrie) cough cough*

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sentry wrote: »

*cough cough (Angel/Jay Guthrie) cough cough*
    Jay Guthrie was a whiny bitch and doesn't count.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited September 2007
    I'm a bit shocked they decided to make Angel one of the 198. Hasn't been used in years, and when they finally dust him off, it's as one of the morons "helping" Hulk wipe out all the other heroes.

Scooter on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My moment of the week was going to my local shop for the 90% off sale and getting $700 worth of back issues for $70. I now own near-complete runs of Young Heroes in Love, Hourman (Peyer/Morales), the Waid/Ramos issues of Impulse, Young Justice, the JLI/JLE issues done by Giffen and DeMatteis, Major Bummer, Question, the first twenty or so issues of Dixon's Green Arrow stuff with Connor Hawke, Arcudi's Doom Patrol (terribly underrated by the way), Booster Gold, a bunch of Impact! comics that I'm very fond of, and a handful of Blue Beetle and Blue Devil comics I was missing.

I'm gonna put them all in a big pile and just roll around in them.

Munch on
    edited September 2007
    There's too many fucking mutants.

Which makes X-Men even more of a lame soap opera than other regular continuity super hero books.

august on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007

Which makes X-Men even more of a lame soap opera than other regular continuity super hero books.
    Of course.

198(and dropping) is so many characters.

and every single one is forced into the X-Books.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • IchnobIchnob Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Moment of the week was going on a road trip to San Diego with some friends and finding a comic book shop that had a 40% off TPBs and HCs sale (excluding the current weeks releases). I was able to pick up the Invincible HC vol. 3.

Ichnob on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

About every year since Grant left they've "reduced" the Mutant population. They fail at it every single time

Algertman on
    edited September 2007
    Algertman wrote: »

About every year since Grant left they've "reduced" the Mutant population. They fail at it every single time

Because everyone has their pet mutant no matter how lame and obscure and would get their panties in a bunch if anything interesting really happened to them or they were dead for more than a couple years.

Like, I'd be pissed if they did anything to Nightcrawler.

Which means I'M PART OF THE PROBLEM OH GOD.

august on
    edited September 2007
    It'd be interesting to see what Nightcrawler and Mystique would look like de-mutanted. Although I suppose age-resistant characters like Mystique and Wolverine would've turned to dust if they got hit.

Scooter on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It'd be interesting to see what Nightcrawler and Mystique would look like de-mutanted. Although I suppose age-resistant characters like Mystique and Wolverine would've turned to dust if they got hit.

Why? It's not like it retro-actively goes back through their life and makes it as if they never had mutant powers.

They'd just start aging at a normal rate from the moment they lost their powers.

DarkPrimus on
    edited September 2007
    Well, I've always suspected Mystique hides her true appearance. There might actually be a winkled old hag behind the blue sexiness. My that's just my own guesses though.

Scooter on
    edited September 2007
    Algertman wrote: »

Reducing the number from a few million to just under 200 (or 300, let SHIELD tell it) is clearly a failure at reduction. Oh right, you meant the mutants you know about. Because it's really smart to depower all of your bread and butter characters which your fans have a lot invested in. :roll:

wwtMask on
    edited September 2007
    Well, I've always suspected Mystique hides her true appearance. There might actually be a winkled old hag behind the blue sexiness. My that's just my own guesses though.

I don't think she has a true appearance anymore. She's been shown repeatedly to remain in any given form when knocked unconscious, drugged, psychically disabled, etc. She never reverts to some base form, except for the rare case where the shock (while conscious) for some reason makes her switch to the blue form.

I imagine the blue form - maybe without that little skull on her forehead - was her original mutant form, but in what sense does a shapeshifter have a 'true' shape?

mattharvest on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    there could probably be at least a mildly interesting story about a shapeshift who had amnesia and had to struggle with finding out her true identity. though it's probably already been done.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nogs wrote: »
    there could probably be at least a mildly interesting story about a shapeshift who had amnesia and had to struggle with finding out her true identity. though it's probably already been done.

I think there are probably a ton of awesome Mystique stories (that don't involve her sleeping with the devil) waiting to be told. Frankly, I think a limited series about her life, kinda like the Emma Frost one, would be really cool. And it could feature hot Mystique on Destiny action.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'