As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Mage Talk: Become the Magister

• SmaattSmaatt Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The disorient from Dragon's Breath last 3 seconds. Ignite takes 2 seconds to tick after being applied. It's not going to instantly be broken by ignite, and the extra crit damage is definately worth the second of time lost.

Smaatt on
  • GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Is that a Dragon in your pocket or are you just happy to see me. :wink:

Golem on
  • BlowfluBlowflu FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Well on the topic of Mage Expansion specs....

Pvp Fire/Frost Spec

This build revolves around maximizing the potential of both fire and frost. With the frost you get all the nice dps increases, crit bonuses, and survivabilty. From the fire you get dps, another great AoE spell, and more chances to snare and stun the target.

Imagine this: a mage comes at you and sheeps you. Casts a Pyroblast first (chance to stun/ignite), then goes to a Frostbolt (chance to freze, instant slow). As you move closer, the mage is hitting you with all his instant casts and AoE's, all of which slow you down. Now you actually get to the mage and you hit him, but theres a chance he'll get Blazing speed and run away! With this build you also can crit fire spells off the shatter, and that will proc an ignite. Frost Nova -> Cone of Cold -> Blast Wave -> Arcane Explosion. Thats also another positive of this build, MAJOR AoE damage potential.

Grinding Build

This is a very icey build, geared towards solo grinding. You have tons of DPS from the talents that increase it, tons of slow from Permafrost and Improved Blizzard, and my favorite the Water Elemental. On top of this, you also grab Clearcasting and Arcane Subtlty out of the much-improved arcane tree. I may use this if soloing is the best way to get to 70. A huge drawback of this build is that you will need a respec after you hit 70 because the water elemental is really only as useful as a voidwalker probably. We have tanks to replace voidwalkers and I hear they're pretty good at keeping aggro :P .

Ultimate DPS Build

Fire has always been the way to put out a crap ton of DPS, and the expansions new talents in that tree only add fuel to the fire of the fire tree (olol pun). The majority of the talent points either increase your dps in some way (by actually increasing dps, reducing cast time, ect.) and the other ones are either done to give you range (flame throwing) or more mana (Burning Soul & Arcane Concentration). The main spell being used here would probably be either scorch or fireball, depending on what gets better benefits from +spell damage gear. Raid Fire Mages will probably spec something like what I just linked for Max dps (and this is mostly a raid spec btw).

These are just some of the few possiblities. Look for that Fire Build to become common place among fire mages with some changes. You can make some really nasty Arcane Builds too (Slow is a great spell) but it won't really be as popular as fire will be or as frost was for doing dps. Look for Arcane to be comboed with Frost to create one hell of a control-with-slow-and-snare build. Use that tallent calculator, these are only my suggestions.

Blowflu on
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm almost positive that Blizzard changed spells so that the spell level does matter a few patches ago. So rank 1 frost nova is not as good as the higher levels. It's another reason to get the AQ books as well.
    I'm specced frost 31 just for icebarrier. I put the other 20 points into fire. Not sure if it's the best built, but it's fun. Arcane just seems too meh.
    I'm thinking I'll get a 30/31 build come 70 unless they make the 41 point talents better.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So I have a Level 17 Troll Mage who I'm thinking of leveling all the way to sixty. I love fire, and I cackle with glee every time I set an enemy on fire so I'd like to stick to a fire spec. I'd like to ask how this spec here looks, it's 21Arcane/30Fire: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/mage/talents.html?2030551010031000525202012200315000000000000000000
    Would like some advice on it, I think I chose decently on where to put what.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Lack of elemental precision for the lose... it will help in grinding and beyond.

Jasconius on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Hm, made a bit of a change, heres how it is now:

Fire- Same
    Arcane- Removed Presence of Mind, took one point out of Magic Attunement and one out of Magic Absorption.
    Frost- Put the three points into Elemental Precision.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • blackdegreeblackdegree Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I've never found the rank of frost nova used to matter. Most raid mobs/bosses are immune anyway; and off the top of my head the only "raid" instance which I use it is the rajaxx fight(s) in AQ20, and I have never seen a resist (3/3 EP ftw).

rank 1 frost nova ftw. Always your reliable escape route.

blackdegree on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Locust76 wrote:
    Tophobii wrote:
    Unless Frostbite is suddenly applicable to raid mobs or Int doesn't exist on Raid gear as well as Arena gear there's no reason to spec frost, the DPS is too low.

Mana Efficiency? Frost Barrier? Ice Block? General "being-able-to-surive-more-than-one-hit-ness?"

I dunno, my mage is frost and she kicks so much ass. I don't have to sit around and drink as much as fire mages and I can survive much better because I don't have to rely on fucking mana shield for protection from hits. Speaking of hits, since my frostbolt snares so often, I also wind up taking less hits than a fire mage, which means less repairs and the aforementioned better survivability.

And it's not like the DPS is abysmal. Even as frost, I still top damage meters in groups.

Yes, but can you set stuff on fire? Make people fall down with the big numbers? (Yeah, actually, you can, but no fire!)

It seems to me as someone who dislikes raiding and detests guilds that getting high end gear with big fire numbers is a hell of a lot easier. Plus with a few points in the early ranks of arcane and frost you can get better spell penetration, and a few days of AV will give you that nice ring and that awesome, awesome book. I'm 58 right now and the second I hit 60 my fire damage will go up almost 120 points.

Can you make someone running in fear stop dead in their tracks by freezing them, without tapping Frost Nova? :D

The Muffin Man on
  • goldengolden Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'd use this as a leveling fire mage.

Imp scorch and arcane meditation are mostly for raiding mages, imo. Unless you somehow get tons of spirit gear, arcane med. isn't going to make much of a difference, especially when you can drink every fight.

golden on
    sig7.jpg
  • blizzard224blizzard224 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I recently specced my second mage (38 now) into fire. I may need to drink 10 times more than I used to, but I'll be damned if it's not insanely fucking fun. I can also solo elites easier than I could before, which amazed me. Screw kiting, it's all about doing so much fucking damage that they just die. For levelling rate, I'd say that I'm going marginally slower than I was before as far as grinding goes, but considering that this is much more viable that Frost AoE grinding for questing (at least at my level), I think I come out on top. The way I see it, Frost is all about controlling the situation, while Fire is all about blowing the crap out of everything. I prefer the latter. :)

Come 50 I'll be speccing back into imp Blizzard, but until then; let the rolling ignites roll!

blizzard224 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blackdegreeblackdegree Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I ground out all of my lvls on Frost. On a pvp server, especially, the survivabilty is amazing. Once I hit 60 though; i only specced frost when I was doing the grind to R14. For raiding, even 'lower' 40-mans like MC/BWL you can still do well, as not too many mobs are actually immune to fire, and on those, Arcane Missle spam FTW. Especially with the AQ rank.

blackdegree on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Monk86Monk86 Registered User new member
    edited September 2006
    all i'm hearing about is fire and frost, what about arcane eh, its a seriously underated talent tree since evocation was made available to everyone, its good for everything, and theres nothing more satisfying then geting the drop on someone, using arcane power, pyroblast, pom and another pyroblast, followed by all your instant casts.

In the first few seconds of the fight there get destroyed, i love my arcane/fire spec, and if you can play with a palla or priest you can level up real fast with improved arcane explosion.

heres my 60 build

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=RbgVfMfouxg0zbZV

Monk86 on
  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    Fuck, I am god damned terrible at frost AOE grinding. I can't even kill 4 regular melee mobs 8 levels below me.

I'm switching back to fire spec, at least I rocked at that.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • kevindenoyettekevindenoyette Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Monk86 wrote:
    theres nothing more satisfying then geting the drop on someone, using arcane power, pyroblast, pom and another pyroblast, followed by all your instant casts.

Ice blocking as they fire a huge AP/POM'd pyro at your face is even better :>

kevindenoyette on
    titshop2qn.jpg
    edited September 2006
    Locust76 wrote:
    Tophobii wrote:
    Unless Frostbite is suddenly applicable to raid mobs or Int doesn't exist on Raid gear as well as Arena gear there's no reason to spec frost, the DPS is too low.

Mana Efficiency? Frost Barrier? Ice Block? General "being-able-to-surive-more-than-one-hit-ness?"

I dunno, my mage is frost and she kicks so much ass. I don't have to sit around and drink as much as fire mages and I can survive much better because I don't have to rely on fucking mana shield for protection from hits. Speaking of hits, since my frostbolt snares so often, I also wind up taking less hits than a fire mage, which means less repairs and the aforementioned better survivability.

And it's not like the DPS is abysmal. Even as frost, I still top damage meters in groups.

Yes, but can you set stuff on fire? Make people fall down with the big numbers? (Yeah, actually, you can, but no fire!)

It seems to me as someone who dislikes raiding and detests guilds that getting high end gear with big fire numbers is a hell of a lot easier. Plus with a few points in the early ranks of arcane and frost you can get better spell penetration, and a few days of AV will give you that nice ring and that awesome, awesome book. I'm 58 right now and the second I hit 60 my fire damage will go up almost 120 points.

Can you make someone running in fear stop dead in their tracks by freezing them, without tapping Frost Nova? :D

On this line of thought about Frost vs. Fire I have done the numbers and fire is roughly a 20-25% increase in damage over Ice, speaking in terms of raw fireballing/frostbolting a stationary non-resistant raid boss.

This is prior to Improved Scorch debuff, Winters Chill, Ice Shards, or Combustion... How Imp Scorch stacks against Winters Chill idk, but at its roots Fire is superior to Ice in just straight DPS in a raid boss encounter.

Jasconius on
  • a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Locust76 wrote:
    Tophobii wrote:

Yes, by killing them.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Fire is the highest DPS spec for endgame.

Arasaki on
  • MouschiMouschi Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    0/30/21 is the best PVP spec ever. I can burn down locks so fast.

Mouschi on
    1848717-1.png
    Gamertag: Cunning Hekate // League of Legends: FeroxPA
  • whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Okay, here's a mage question for you: If a mage isn't going to do any PvP, and isn't going to do any instances, is ice block still worth getting?

whuppins on
    edited September 2006
    whuppins wrote:
    Okay, here's a mage question for you: If a mage isn't going to do any PvP, and isn't going to do any instances, is ice block still worth getting?

I'm sorry would you be doing anything? Farming monsters doesn't really require any spec as far as I know. I imagine if thats all you did you would be fine getting or dropping any talents.

Golem on
    edited September 2006
    whuppins wrote:

If all you do is farm world mobs then just spec combustion/arcane concentration/elemental precision.

Ice Block really isn't going to help you unless you pull like 3 mobs at once in Tyr's Hand in which case you are screwed anyway.

Jasconius on
    edited September 2006
    Ice Block would be good for debuff- removal, and it makes Field Duty easier, but you'd probably be just as well off without it.

a penguin on
    edited September 2006
    a penguin wrote:
    Ice Block would be good for debuff- removal, and it makes Field Duty easier, but you'd probably be just as well off without it.

Hmm, this is true... good versus those 30 minute diseases.

Jasconius on
    edited September 2006
    Jasconius wrote:
    a penguin wrote:

Ya but you can get those pots from STV that remove diseases. you can have alchemists and first-aiders make items to remove poison. Course if blizzard would allow dwarven mages... :roll:

Golem on
    edited September 2006
    Golem wrote:
    Jasconius wrote:
    a penguin wrote:

Ya but you can get those pots from STV that remove diseases. you can have alchemists and first-aiders make items to remove poison. Course if blizzard would allow dwarven mages... :roll:

Dwarven mages would be too uber. Enough to shatter the foundations of the earth.

Jasconius on
    edited September 2006
    Jasconius wrote:
    Golem wrote:
    Jasconius wrote:
    a penguin wrote:

Dwarven mages would be too uber. Enough to shatter the foundations of the earth.

My Dwarf Mage was the pimp shit in beta, I almost quit when they took them out.

TDL on
    edited September 2006
    So, I just got my mage to 50... after playing since beta.

I really ought to get a character to 60.

TDL on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Do it. Mages are fun and easy to hit 60 and play afterwards.

captaink on
    edited October 2006
    All right, 52 now. And I've got 15 Un'Goro quests in my log, so the next few levels should be fast.

EDIT: Actually, this is going to be a busy week come to think of it. But it's a four day weekend, so I think I'll leave off playing for a few days and build some rest. I really do need to work on my Warhammer models anyway.

TDL on
  • SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    whats the fastest general levelling spec? my mage is 28 atm.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
    edited October 2006
    Golem wrote:
    Jasconius wrote:
    a penguin wrote:

heh I am an alchemist and I have both of those curative potion recipes, but I'm far too cheap to use a pot on myself. I hand them out like they're candy to everyone else though.

My priorities are so out of whack.

a penguin on
    edited October 2006
    Once you get to your 30s grinding 6-8 mobs at once with AOE (frost spec) is the fastest, I believe. But, it's also the hardest to master.

I got with a fire 30/arcane 21 (13 atm) spec and I level pretty fast when I want to, I'm just usually not motivated enough to do it.

TDL on
  • TophobiiTophobii Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Saban wrote:
    whats the fastest general levelling spec? my mage is 28 atm.
    first page of thread

Tophobii on
    edited October 2006
    TDL wrote:
    Once you get to your 30s grinding 6-8 mobs at once with AOE (frost spec) is the fastest, I believe. But, it's also the hardest to master.

since I haven't seen it mentioned so far, those farms in Arathi ftw. Peons make for good grinding, and they drop money, cloth and the occasional green.

a penguin on
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    We camp and kill anyone who dares touch those peons. So much to the point we'll transfer chars to your server just to grief you nonstop so that you may learn never to touch our peons again. Go'Shek Forever.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • ElectricBoogalooElectricBoogaloo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    omg PvE ololol

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2006
    Too late. I've already had my way with your peons, and am simply offering up the sloppy seconds to anyone else who feels the urge.

[spoiler:538d098489]
    PvE Indeed!
    [/spoiler:538d098489]

a penguin on
  • ElectricBoogalooElectricBoogaloo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I do miss PvP though, there is nothing quite as satisfying as blinking right through some rogue and fireblasting him to the back of the skull.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AdimaxAdimax Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    It took me 60 levels and a fuckload of PvP to learn the value of instantly stopping my current casting to fire off an IB to avoid a killing blow (fucking Pyroblast) or CS to shutdown healing. And so...

Insta-stop casting and cast Ice Block:
    /script SpellStopCasting();
    /script CastSpellByName("Ice Block")

(replace this with your normal button for Ice Block)

Insta-stop casting and cast Counterspell:
    /script SpellStopCasting();
    /script CastSpellByName("Counterspell")

(replace this with your normal button for Counterspell)

Adimax on