As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Black List] - 2013 Edition

So, once again, it's time for the Black List - the list of the top unoptioned (mostly - several have been picked up) screenplays in Hollywood. Let's see what the people who read Variety are excited about. First, the top screenplay is...
HOLLAND, MICHIGAN
Andrew Sodroski
When a traditional Midwestern woman suspects her husband of infidelity, an amateur investigation unravels.

Give this one to the Coen Brothers. (Though it's too late - this is one of the optioned scripts.)

Some others:
SOVEREIGN
Geoff Tock, Greg Weidman
A man goes to space to destroy the ship that, upon going sentient, killed his wife.

I can see it now - EA Legal on line 1, Bioware's lawyers on line 2...
POX AMERICANA
Frank John Hughes
In the Old West, a group of soldiers go on a mission to slaughter a peaceful tribe in retaliation for another tribe’s attack on a white settlement, only to suffer at the hands of a devastating disease.

Poetic horror.
SWEETHEART
Jack Stanley
A young hitwoman tries to escape the business but finds herself in more danger after a high school reunion and a one night stand.

A genderbent Gross Pointe Blank for a new generation.
GAY KID AND FAT CHICK
Bo Burnham
Two high school misfits become costumed vigilantes and take out their frustrations on the students who have bullied them throughout high school.

Can you say "revenge fantasy"?
1969: A SPACE ODYSSEY OR HOW KUBRICK LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LAND ON THE MOON
Stephany Folsom
With NASA’s Apollo program in trouble and the Soviets threatening nuclear war, a female PR operative conspires with NASA’s Public Affairs Office to stage a fake moon landing in case Armstrong and Aldren fail, the goal being to generate public excitement that will aid the U.S. in winning the Cold War. But the op is faced with the biggest challenge of all: Filming the fake lunar landing with temperamental Stanley Kubrick.

Because the conspiracy crackpots need validation.

So, which ones should be picked, and which should be burned?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    From the ones presented here? Pretty much all of them should be burned. Not one of them sounds interesting.

Gay Kid and Fat Chick could if had talented actors, a good director and a great script become an average retread of Kick-Ass.

1969 sounds like a joke, an offensive joke to the Apollo space program, Stanley Kubrick and to cinematic history.

Sweetheart is as you said a genderbent Gross Pointe Blank for a new generation, while the old one is still relevant and funny.

Pox American sounds like sappy drama at best, crappy gross out horror at worst,

Holland,Michigan could work if the right director gets it.

Sovereign has potential if it goes all in with special effects. If there is a sentient space ship, I want to see it and the universe it inhabits.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    SOVEREIGN
    Geoff Tock, Greg Weidman
    A man goes to space to destroy the ship that, upon going sentient, killed his wife.

I can see it now - EA Legal on line 1, Bioware's lawyers on line 2...

You will be blacklisted because we allow it, and you will be sued because we demand it.

Other than the ones already listed, I'd say there's three that I would like to see (Randle Is Benign, Spotlight, Time and Temperature).

Edit: The actual site is http://blcklst.com/2013-black-list - that Collider article has that annoying "READ MORE" Javascript when you try to copy text out of the article

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Like, what never made sense to me about "how to fake a moon landing", was "if you are faking a real event that real people would be filming, why bring in a professionals/a director?". You have a fucking PR gameplan for what happens when they get on the moon: you plant a flag, hop, buggy donuts, and play golf. Recreate the expected scene with the astronauts ahead of time, get analogs of the people you want in the space suits doing what you want, have them hold the camera. copy and paste that onto a movie set.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    1969: A SPACE ODYSSEY OR HOW KUBRICK LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LAND ON THE MOON
    Stephany Folsom
    With NASA’s Apollo program in trouble and the Soviets threatening nuclear war, a female PR operative conspires with NASA’s Public Affairs Office to stage a fake moon landing in case Armstrong and Aldren fail, the goal being to generate public excitement that will aid the U.S. in winning the Cold War. But the op is faced with the biggest challenge of all: Filming the fake lunar landing with temperamental Stanley Kubrick.

fuck the hatas, this sounds amazing

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    I've read a couple and they were good. I have faith in most movies on the blacklist beyond logline. If the logline is boring or seems out of place, it's on the black list mostly because there's something interesting that doesn't show in the logline.

Butter is a great example of a movie that was on the black list that sounded boring and weird but was a joy to read.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Dude, I would hells of watch biopics about Carl Sagan, Mr. Rogers, and Bill Watterson.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    This one sounds fascinating to me, but probably only because I'm a local kid
    TIME & TEMPERATURE
    Nick Santora
    Based on a true story, Dale Julin (a low-level Fresno affiliate morning show host) stumbles upon the biggest story of his life—and though he has reached the midpoint of his career without ever being a “real journalist”—risks his safety and his marriage to uncover the truth that a small Atomic bomb exploded in Central Valley California during the Korean War—a secret that has been hidden for decades.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I would like a film that is a total reversal of the usual Hollywood conspiracy genre.

Like, the government or corporation in question is revealed at the end to really just be doing mundane things, and the protagonist is basically told to go home, clean up and get a job. And the audience is then berated for buying into the stupid conspiracy nonsense.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I like trying to envisage the scripts with as many variant tones and genres as I can from the summary line.

Like, Ink and Bone - could it be a psychological thriller? A supernatural horror? An unlikely buddy/odd couple comedy for the family? A feel good carpe diem thing? A sober reflection on the introverted nature of some creative types?

Usually, at the very least you can put a Coen bros-esque hijinks black comedy spin on most things.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Stephany Folsom

fuck the hatas, this sounds amazing

This movie should be punched in the nose.

Like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wcrkxOgzhU

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    FULLY WRECKED

Jake Morse, Scott Wolman

An R-rated talking car from the 80s is brought back into service and teamed up with the son of his former partner, a befuddled cop looking to earn his stripes.

I really want this to be more than just Ted with Jonah Hill and Peter Griffin the talking car in place of Mark Wahlberg and Peter Griffin the talking bear.

The title might be the best boner joke/pun I've ever seen though.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Dude, I would hells of watch biopics about Carl Sagan, Mr. Rogers, and Bill Watterson.

I'd fear that dramatizing a biopic of Mr. Rogers would be irresistible, and ultimately offensive.

• Options
    The Ender wrote: »
    I would like a film that is a total reversal of the usual Hollywood conspiracy genre.

Like, the government or corporation in question is revealed at the end to really just be doing mundane things, and the protagonist is basically told to go home, clean up and get a job. And the audience is then berated for buying into the stupid conspiracy nonsense.

Have you ever seen The Game?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

Have you ever seen The Game?

I was thinking Burn After Reading fit this almost to a t.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    This one sounds fascinating to me, but probably only because I'm a local kid
    TIME & TEMPERATURE
    Nick Santora
    Based on a true story, Dale Julin (a low-level Fresno affiliate morning show host) stumbles upon the biggest story of his life—and though he has reached the midpoint of his career without ever being a “real journalist”—risks his safety and his marriage to uncover the truth that a small Atomic bomb exploded in Central Valley California during the Korean War—a secret that has been hidden for decades.

Technically true...a nuclear weapon did explode when the plane carrying it crashed during takeoff from Travis AFB in 1950. That is how the base got its current name; Travis was the pilot (killed on impact).

Of corse, what exploded was just the bomb, itself; there was no nuclear detonation. We didn't transport live nukes inside the US, so the nuclear core wasn't even on the plane. The only radioactive material on board was the depleted uranium ballast.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I'd like to see the Apollo Conspiracy movie filmed with a twist at the end...that they are trying to follow through and fake the moon landing, but the number of technical challenges is just so great that they decide 'fuck it, it'll be easier to just do it for real'.

I watched this analysis by a Hollywood / film expert on what would be required simply to film the fake moon landing, and the conclusion was that creating a camera - much less secretly - in 1969 that could simply film the faked moon landing would be comparable to the technical ingenuity and involvement of about as many people the actual moon landing.

I just think a case where the government earnestly WANTED to fake the moon landing but just couldn't would be pretty fascinating fiction.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I'd like to see the Apollo Conspiracy movie filmed with a twist at the end...that they are trying to follow through and fake the moon landing, but the number of technical challenges is just so great that they decide 'fuck it, it'll be easier to just do it for real'.

I watched this analysis by a Hollywood / film expert on what would be required simply to film the fake moon landing, and the conclusion was that creating a camera - much less secretly - in 1969 that could simply film the faked moon landing would be comparable to the technical ingenuity and involvement of about as many people the actual moon landing.

I just think a case where the government earnestly WANTED to fake the moon landing but just couldn't would be pretty fascinating fiction.

Mitchell & Webb already examined that, and did it in 5 minutes.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Every single one of those blacklisted scripts sounds either half-baked or unusually unoriginal.

• Options
    zagdrob wrote: »

I would watch that.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I mean, I'd watch that conspiracy movie if it was like I said, filming the actual astronauts in a comedy manner(This whole thing is a wacky disaster), then delving more into the psyche of people who have to film the fake thing because what they may be doing could end up being a suicide mission, or something else could go horribly wrong. And there doing it explicitly so that if something does go wrong, noone ever knows about it. the kubric angle makes me think its going to be a focus of comedy with "dealing with him"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    On the one hand, 1969 could be filmed by the Coens.

On the other hand, it could be filmed by Michael Bay.

Which could apply to any of those scripts, I guess.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.