As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pinny Pals Gaming: Killer Pinstinct

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Oh Pinny Arcade, what have you done?! I just bought a $40 game for $130 on eBay...

$60 if you are talking Pin Ultimate.

Also, I love ranked match quitters. GET ON MY LEVEL.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I lose too many times to be confident enough to stick with ranked haha. Sticking to exhibition and vs friend matches for the time being.

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
    I mean, I am maybe 50% give or take. But when I get 3 quitters on matches I could win if they stayed...I get salty. Cause then the next match I'll get demolished. At least I wouldn't feel bad if I won the match before. I wish there was some punishment for quitting ranked. Like, give them an auto loss.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    I worked on a 1-on-1 online game once that had a secret rank, the rage-quit rank. The more a player quit during matches, the more they'd be matched up with other people who quit during matches. That solved the problem nicely :)

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    I worked on a 1-on-1 online game once that had a secret rank, the rage-quit rank. The more a player quit during matches, the more they'd be matched up with other people who quit during matches. That solved the problem nicely :)

Every game needs to do this.

UMVC3? It was either that or MK9. Pretty sure Marvel though. That is cool.

And yea, it would be nice for that in KI. Although, I haven't run into it all that much.

Just played 3-4 ranked matches. Won all but one, which was incredibly close. I really need to learn to extend my combos. I'm really loving playing the keep away game with Glacious. I get in trouble when guys get close and know what they are doing though.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular

I did this because I don't think a lot of people realise just how large this thing is. I certainly didn't know until I had mine in my hands.

Looking at this, it really is gorgeous. The only criticism I have of it is that there doesn't seem to be anywhere for the Pin backs.

So...going by that photo, can it be safe to say you're ready to send them out? :D

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    Has anyone managed to get the current "Good Instincts" challenge yet? It was bugged for a few days, but several people today have reported unlocking it. Attempts so far don't seem to be working out, maybe I'm just doing it wrong?

I'm under the impression that I just need to go into instinct mode in the middle of a combo five times, perhaps I'm misunderstanding the use of an instinct cancel here?

55ymlH2.png
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    So...going by that photo, can it be safe to say you're ready to send them out? :D

I'll be shipping them after New Years to avoid them getting lost in the rush. If the January Pins are out then I can always grab those to save on shipping.

• zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    If anyone wants to add me for KI punchy face fun times my Xbox gamertag is zer0myst

CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    I got my copy! Fastest eBay ever. Really liking this display book.

asJ6WXs.jpg

• Gravity oXoGravity oXo Registered User new member
    vid wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to get the current "Good Instincts" challenge yet? It was bugged for a few days, but several people today have reported unlocking it. Attempts so far don't seem to be working out, maybe I'm just doing it wrong?

I'm under the impression that I just need to go into instinct mode in the middle of a combo five times, perhaps I'm misunderstanding the use of an instinct cancel here?

I was having trouble getting this as well. Looks like there was a bug preventing it from being unlocked. Looks like it may be fixed now, but with only a day or two left (!). :)

I saw a thread on the Double Helix forums about it:
    http://www.doublehelixgames.com/forum/index.php?threads/urgent-good-instincts-challenge-achievement-glitched-ending-soon.5804/

Also, if you guys want to add me, my Gamertag is the same as my username here: Gravity oXo

• Konig WolfKonig Wolf Registered User regular
    vid wrote: »

I just got it by doing local play after reading the thread Gravity oXo linked. Going into Instinct Mode while performing a combo is the correct way to Instinct Cancel. I was doing it with both characters to see if that might speed it up, but I don't think it works that way. I performed 2 Instinct Cancels for each character each match, and only unlocked the Challenge after 3 matches.

To those sending me messages on Xbox Live, I haven't bought gold yet so I can't respond. Give me some time to get settled and I shall join you. In the meantime I am still building up the friends list, so add me.

• TheHonestHippoTheHonestHippo MicrosoftRegistered User regular
    ALERT ALERT

The first Pin Challenge is coming up tomorrow! Check the in-game Community Meld (Press Y from Main Menu) for more information (post is going live tomorrow as well).
    There's a little spoiler on Twitter though... dig it up!

Also...

Pin Ultimate Editions are being restocked at the Microsoft Online Store! We diverted some units from brick-and-mortar to make peace with the online sales gods. Total number of boxes out there remain the same though.

May your holidays be full of Ultra Combos!

Twitter: @HonestHippo
  • msuroomsuroo Registered User regular

FE042027-63C0-4058-B149-5D7D25DCE365-777-0000006FB31EC6A7_zpsee3529cd.jpg

Son, I am disappoint. Should totally have been C-C-C-Combo Breaker!

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    msuroo wrote: »

FE042027-63C0-4058-B149-5D7D25DCE365-777-0000006FB31EC6A7_zpsee3529cd.jpg

Son, I am disappoint. Should totally have been C-C-C-Combo Breaker!

Watch February/March/April all be various forms of C- to tack onto the front of this :P

• InsaneloonInsaneloon Jefferson City, MissouriRegistered User regular
    @TheHonestHippo Any idea when the restock will take place?

Ok, Xbox updated, KI downloading, time to get going....why is everyone offline? Dammit.

So, we have the first Pin challenge revealed. Win 4 Consecutive Ranked Matches.

27 days to do this. Why do I envision getting to 3 and then being just completely hammered in the 4th match? Over, and over, and over...

I don't think I've gotten past winning 2......Lets just say I'm SO glad there's still an option to buy them.

8fuuo_RK.png
    I've also only gotten about 2 ranked wins in a row, and then I get matched up against someone way beyond my level, so I barely put a dent in them. I'm confident though that if we all stick to it, we'll get better and can pull it off in the time frame we have. Practicing against "Killer" and "Kyle" level CPUs may help you learn how to combo break and counter break effectively to give you the edge in ranked.

If you get the 4 wins by pulling off lots of combo breakers, I bet it will make earning this pin even more gratifying.

I have trouble combo breaking the way youre 'supposed' to, by pressing the same level of punch and kick together. I just rotate the right stick really fast and it almost always works, i get a lot of lock outs as well though.

8fuuo_RK.png
  • EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    I am absolutely horrible playing with the controller. I've been bouncing between Button Masher and Apprentice and back down again. I doubt I'd be that much better with a arcade stick, but its what I'm used to. I preordered one of the MadCatz TE2 sticks and CronusMax adaptor doodad. Both have been sold out for weeks.

My heart is pounding so incredibly hard right now, I just completed the challenge with a sliver of health left. Best of luck to everyone else.

Shouldn't be that bad. I do see myself not winning a ton in a row when I do ranked, but it isn't like I can't pull it off. I think I usually go like 2w, 1l, 1w, 2l, etc. Time to get to business with Glacious.

bYf6vNQ.png
    I think it will help if we can work together on it. Once one of us has gotten the achievement we can throw the match if we see someone from the forums. I'm spending a lot of time as Orchid because I find the juggling easier with her kicks. Hopefully I can get to 4 in a row, but 2 is my max so far. I'm ranked Free but keep getting matched with people who can pull off 66% damage combos.

edited December 2013
    Just played 8 matches. Went 3-5, never more than a win in a row. Very frustrating when I am level 3 and randomly put up against a level 9. Like, come on. Then I have a close match with someone and I wind up losing with both our health flashing and they guy calls me a lucky bitch because I blocked one of his moves near the end. I unmuted myself and said, "Or you mean good game, but whatever."

I have a love/hate relationship with my fighting games.

edit: Seriously, fuck most people in this game. I win one game. Good match. Next game is another good match, but the guy is bitching because I am playing keep away with Glacious. After a thrilling conversation, I try to play close with him and low and behold the guy starts winning (which I commented on). So, I went back to how I was playing and was about to win and he quits. So fucking dumb.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    As excited as I am to go home and start trying to knock out this Pin Challenge, I don't think I'm ever going to purchase from the Microsoft Store again after the fiasco surrounding my Pin Ultimate Edition.

The story so far...

I pre-ordered the Pin Ultimate Edition the day it became an option. When the time for shipping came, my order was halted due to an error in my payment details. I tried fixing the payment information but was met with errors from the website each time I attempted to change any of my details. After several tries, I received a notification that my order had been cancelled. After a few hours on the phone and on chat with support, I was essentially told "Too bad, sorry about that." at which point I decided to suck it up and go to eBay (fortunately before the prices skyrocketed too much).

I sort of figured the whole adventure was over at that point... but today I noticed a charge on my billing statement. About a week ago, Microsoft charged me for the price of the Pin Ultimate Edition. That is to say... they charged me a week ago for an order that was wrongfully cancelled about a month ago. Sixty-four bucks that just disappeared into the aether without warning.

So... now I'm back on the line with support. Hopefully I get my money back, or can at least get my order fulfilled, so maybe I can trade the set to someone else who missed out.

55ymlH2.png
    If anything, if they are sending you another Pin Ultimate, flip that shit. Why not?

Anyway, I supposedly got the 4 ranked wins, but who knows if they count. I win 1-2, go back to the main menu because the game isn't find a match, go back in, guy quits next match, then I win 2 more.

bYf6vNQ.png
    That's if they even send another. This mystery charge happened a week ago, and I haven't received any notice of shipment and the only order I have listed under my account is still marked as "cancelled".

Sadly, the four ranked wins probably won't count if you had a guy quit on you.

55ymlH2.png
    I bloody HATE quitters, so annoying... I believe it should still count as a loss if you quit early, or at least a penalty of some sort. Allso the matchmaking needs to be fixed, getting paired with lvl 7 when I'm lvl 2 is not at all fair...

Ordered a TE2 fight stick in November from amazon, still hasn't shipped, not sure how much better it will make me but I do feel like the game pad isn't quick enough for all the button mashing.

8fuuo_RK.png
    edited December 2013
    redfield85 wrote: »
    If anything, if they are sending you another Pin Ultimate, flip that shit. Why not?

Anyway, I supposedly got the 4 ranked wins, but who knows if they count. I win 1-2, go back to the main menu because the game isn't find a match, go back in, guy quits next match, then I win 2 more.

I added you, and checked your achievements, it shows you've completed the challenge, so you should get the email after the challenge period is over. Mike/Gabe's tweet/post made it seem like you'd get the email after completing the challenge, but the play XBLA website says after Jan 17th.

http://playxbla.com/your-first-pin-ultimate-challenge-in-killer-instinct-is-here-c-c-combo-breaker/

Konig Wolf on
    Question, by the way...After registering your pin ultimate edition with the code, did anyone receive an activation email of some sort? im not sure if its worked for me, after doing it, all i get is a page saying it worked but no email, did it twice because i wasnt sure, same thing

8fuuo_RK.png
    I did not receive an activation or confirmation email of any sort either.

No activation email or anything. It just....does it. I guess we will find out.

Also, yea, you are right, Konig. I got a reply on the KI post from two people saying if you get that achievement you should be set. I apparently have it. Thank God. Ha.

And I also agree about the ranking system. I have been lv. 2-4 and sometimes get matched up with a lv. 9. I wouldn't hate it, but from what I have seen, it still takes a ton of experience away from you. If anything, it should take very little and give a ton (unless it does already).

bYf6vNQ.png
  • GooseyGooseGooseyGoose Registered User regular
    I just lost a ranked match and got the "on a roll" challenge completed. I got this game on day one, and I played a dozen or so matches. I think I was 6-8 before the challenge. Now, I do remember winning most of my matches early, so it is entirely possible that I won 4 ranked matches in a row, and it's now backdating that challenge. It's also possible that the guy I was playing unlocked the achievement on his win vs. me, but it mistakenly gave it to both of us. Finally, I have been using all of the free xbox live gold codes from the games and system that I bought. Maybe switching inbetween all of these free 2-day gold memberships caused a glitch. Either way, I am done after losing just 1 match!

I need to start training with someone new. I just might use Orchid since I did back in the day.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Is it possible to change your region to a random country like certain games on the 360 to get ranked matches with people you know? (I remember doing this in Halo 3 at least)