As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RIP Peter O'Toole [chat]

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    I think it's nice that they're gonna make space for all the fake gamers.

FINALLY! A seat at the lunch table for me!

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    omg my favorite album ever has been delivered to my parents house on vinyl

i can't wait to frame the cover even though my girlfriend haaaaates it
    Flying-Lotus-Cosmogramma.jpg

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    jakobagger wrote: »
    I started watching The Bridge (Broen/Bron) last night. I think I'm missing out on lots of language jokes.

Does the Danish guy speak Swedish in a weird accent or is it just a case that they can understand one another if they speak their native language slowly? Also, why do Danish people only eat bread rolls? And why are Swedes so excited to receive them?

The Scandinavian languages are mostly mutually intelligible if spoken slowly and clearly, yes. By some definitions they're dialects, especially the old dialect of Norwegian is ridiculously close to Danish. Especially in writing.

They might be slowly drifting apart, maybe. Young people suck at it, everyone sucks at understanding Danish and Danes suck at understanding anything that isn't our own slurred insanity of a language parody (that I still, personally, find beautiful, please don't hurt me secret language police).

From a perspective of somebody who understands only a single word of Danish, I find it sounds much nicer than Swedish on the whole (when somebody says enough to let me work out which language is being spoken).

Thanks for the info though, trying to subtitle something in two spoken languages with lots of references to these languages - Like how Rohde sounds like the Swedish for "fur" or something - is a really interesting problem.

Danish sounds nicer than Swedish? You might be literally the only person in the world with that opinion, including Danes and Swedes.

One thing is Swedish dialects differ a lot more than Danish ones, and the dialect of Southern Sweden (well, rightfully Denmark, but...) or Scania is broadly recognized as terrible. And without having seen Broen I'd expect the Swedes on it should be speaking Scanian.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    @jacobkosh I never saw you linking me any story? Did it not go through or are you thinkin' of someone else?

Or I guess is my memory just really really bad?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Elki, I will read and spurt some words at you about it. Probably tomorrow sometime, as it is the office Christmas party today and we are knocking off at midday to go get drunk early, so any edits done tonight after work are liable to be a string of idiotic gibberish, then some curse words, then some snoring.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    You're gonna open this "present" and inside is simply a piece of paper with another tracking number on it.

Oh brilliant
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I started watching The Bridge (Broen/Bron) last night. I think I'm missing out on lots of language jokes.

Does the Danish guy speak Swedish in a weird accent or is it just a case that they can understand one another if they speak their native language slowly? Also, why do Danish people only eat bread rolls? And why are Swedes so excited to receive them?

The Scandinavian languages are mostly mutually intelligible if spoken slowly and clearly, yes. By some definitions they're dialects, especially the old dialect of Norwegian is ridiculously close to Danish. Especially in writing.

They might be slowly drifting apart, maybe. Young people suck at it, everyone sucks at understanding Danish and Danes suck at understanding anything that isn't our own slurred insanity of a language parody (that I still, personally, find beautiful, please don't hurt me secret language police).

From a perspective of somebody who understands only a single word of Danish, I find it sounds much nicer than Swedish on the whole (when somebody says enough to let me work out which language is being spoken).

Thanks for the info though, trying to subtitle something in two spoken languages with lots of references to these languages - Like how Rohde sounds like the Swedish for "fur" or something - is a really interesting problem.

Danish sounds nicer than Swedish? You might be literally the only person in the world with that opinion, including Danes and Swedes.

One thing is Swedish dialects differ a lot more than Danish ones, and the dialect of Southern Sweden (well, rightfully Denmark, but...) or Scania is broadly recognized as terrible. And without having seen Broen I'd expect the Swedes on it should be speaking Scanian.

That could well be it.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Having to write a problem statement, abstract etc. for a 4-page, mostly descriptive, introductory paper for an introductory class seems

pretty pointless.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I am a horrible sweaty mess. Thankfully new computer doesn't heat the room up as much as old one.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Yay for having Wednesdays off! I get to sleep in!

....Less yay for actually being busy tomorrow. Oh well, at least it is the good kind of busy.

There's a bunch of words that have acquired completely different meaning in Danish, Swedish and Norwegian. Through semantic drift or possibly just random surface likeness of actually unrelated words (which there's a good biological term for that I can't remember).

Eg. at grine means "to laugh" in Danish, but in Norwegian and possibly Swedish it means "to cry". Rolig means calm in Danish, but funny/fun in Swedish. Hyggelig means something like cosy, companionable in Danish and Norwegian, but means I think "proper" in Swedish.

False friend words!

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »

....Less yay for actually being busy tomorrow. Oh well, at least it is the good kind of busy.

hate...

hate...

hate...

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

hate...

hate...

hate...

i took today off. with christmas day and new years, that means..

three straight weeks of working M/T/Th/F

so... 3 straight weeks of never working more than 2 straight days

heaven

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    y2jake215 wrote: »

hate...

hate...

hate...

heaven

including today which has just started i have 4 more working days until my two weeks off

pls go faster dayz

plz

and the worst thing is i still have all my shopping to do, the only person ive bought a present for is @kalkino >.<

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The Grand Illusions guy is still running, faithfully uploading one video a day of the most delightful curios

http://www.youtube.com/user/henders007/videos

Oh brilliant
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

hate...

hate...

hate...

heaven

After Friday I'm off till Jan 6th.

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Hmm. Do I do the rest of my xmas shopping today or go tomorrow and keep playing Assassin's Creed 2 today?

Decisions, decisions...

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

hate...

hate...

hate...

heaven

After Friday I'm off till Jan 6th.

After Thursday lunchtime for me.

BobCesca wrote: »
    Hmm. Do I do the rest of my xmas shopping today or go tomorrow and keep playing Assassin's Creed 2 today?

Decisions, decisions...

do my shopping for me!

aaaagh!

BobCesca wrote: »

Decisions, decisions...

Just buy a couple of hundred grams of hamsters.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @Kana
    Kana wrote: »
    Huh, story? I don't think I got a story from you?
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    I have a dark confession to make

I...

I've never actually read any Gibson...

start here

http://mith.umd.edu/digitalstorytelling/wp-content/uploads/GibsonW_Burning_Chrome.pdf

rRwz9.gif
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Girl i went out to meet went home.

Now i am in the apartment of dude who thinks i amerika big, which happens to also be the apartment of the dude planning to shortly fuck my ex, both of which are downstairs on their way up

Weird night.

so the autocorrect on my shitty phone is also, surprisingly, shitty

"amerika big" was how it interpreted "am bi"

ftOqU21.png
    Girl i went out to meet went home.

Now i am in the apartment of dude who thinks i amerika big, which happens to also be the apartment of the dude planning to shortly fuck my ex, both of which are downstairs on their way up

Weird night.

so the autocorrect on my shitty phone is also, surprisingly, shitty

"amerika big" was how it interpreted "am bi"

From this point forth being bi shall be known as being America Big.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    OOOOH, right!

No I haven't read it yet, but it is now sitting on the top of my tabs and I shall totally read it with breakfast tomorrow

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Is it Burning Chrome time again?

Man, what really hit me was
    right near the end, where they reveal exactly what goes on at the House of Blue Lights. That just wrecked me for like a day.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It was hot, the night we burned Chrome.

Gibson is pretty good at opening lines.

• GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    GS5Bt4y.jpg

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

When I was a kid I thought the Stockholm dialect was what you used when you acted, because that's all you ever see on TV.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    knitdan wrote: »

right near the end, where they reveal exactly what goes on at the House of Blue Lights. That just wrecked me for like a day.
    "It's so popular it's almost legal."

It's amazing the number of lines from his books and stories that have just stuck to me over the years. Not even first or last sentences but just random bits and pieces like that.

rRwz9.gif
    Bogart wrote: »
    It was hot, the night we burned Chrome.

Gibson is pretty good at opening lines.

The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Cyberpunk eh?

I'm wearing fingerless gloves right now while writing about media theory and thinking I'd rather be playing Netrunner

My room is unheated and only has a single layer of glass in the windows, you see

• GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Cyberpunk eh?

I'm wearing fingerless gloves right now while writing about media theory and thinking I'd rather be playing Netrunner

Meanwhile, in a random part of the world, a person is wearing finger wrappings and playing Netrunner.

The Neuromancer opening line was fresh in my mind, because yesterday I read Charlie Stross' The Family Trade.

It opens with The sky was the color of a dead laptop display, silver-gray and full of rain.

That has to be a nod to Gibson.

I've been reading a book I'm not sure I'd describe as cyberpunk.

It's The Fractal Prince by Hannu Rannajiemi.

It's like cyberpunk squared, a lot of what happens feels more like magic with fancy tech explanations.

I'm tempted to call it "quantum punk" but that'd probably get me beat up by physicists.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    V9zSm.jpg?1

aRkpc.gif
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

"It's so popular it's almost legal."

It's amazing the number of lines from his books and stories that have just stuck to me over the years. Not even first or last sentences but just random bits and pieces like that.

A wasp's nest as a biological machine gun (or something like that?)

That was a surprising amount of terror that scene got out of a mundane object

I've been reading a book I'm not sure I'd describe as cyberpunk.

It's The Fractal Prince by Hannu Rannajiemi.

It's like cyberpunk squared, a lot of what happens feels more like magic with fancy tech explanations.

I'm tempted to call it "quantum punk" but that'd probably get me beat up by physicists.

I didn't like it as much as The Quantum Thief. It went a whole lot weirder.

That's too bad, I'm not very far in and yeah it's pretty weird. Liked his first one though.

I have a thing for memorizing the opening sentence of stuff I read.

The dead ship was a thing of obscene beauty.

This discussion has been closed.