As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Heroes on NBC

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    He never said that the show was terrible guys, he just said that this would have been a good chance to try to legitimize animation as a serious artform.

Errybody needs to chill out.

But it's a great oppertunity for Keith to get sand in his vagina.

august on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    He never said that the show was terrible guys, he just said that this would have been a good chance to try to legitimize animation as a serious artform.

He said it should've been animation instead of live action, even though he hasn't seen it

Garlic Bread on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    hughtron wrote:

He said it should've been animation instead of live action, even though he hasn't seen it
    His reasoning does make sense, sort of.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The entire point is something exceedingly strange happening in an otherwise normal world though, right? With characters acting like we would? I don't think you could get that with animation as most people can't see themselves in a 2-D fellow.

If you want to legitimize animation, I think you'd have to do something that would grab a wide audience consisting of people who'd usually never give any kind of animated show or movie a chance. You need to make an animated picture about something not commonly associated with animation that, purely by existing, challenges a person's expectations. A cartoon about superheroes can't do that since everyone already believes the two are kids' stuff, and there've been superhero cartoons before.

robosagogo on
  • AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I quite liked it and I had it pegged for being lame and just catering to that whole WB angsty superpowered crapola that is all the rage these days. I just don't want the mainstream to burn out the sci fi/comic booky love.

I thought the whole Indian Professor X deal was stolen from Salman Rushdie's Midnight Children and I would be totally fine with that being the running plot point. The Government agency is just a horribly overused cliche but we'll see what they can do with it.

The powers and characters are all unique enough that I'm interested, nothing glaringly cliched. I'd be a regular fanboy on par with LOST if it keeps up. Its got a good timeslot but works horribly for me as I usually have class.

Antibodies on
    XBL: thetinwoodsman
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    hughtron wrote:

It's a show about real people in the real world getting extraordinary powers. You're supposed to relate to that. It looks like they're going to explain (in made-up science) how it happens, or why. You're not supposed to suspend your disbelief like you automatically do for a cartoon.

Garlic Bread on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    hughtron wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    hughtron wrote:

It's a show about real people in the real world getting extraordinary powers. You're supposed to relate to that. It looks like they're going to explain (in made-up science) how it happens, or why. You're not supposed to suspend your disbelief like you automatically do for a cartoon.
    Fair enough. I didn't say I agreed with him, I just said I could understand where he was coming from.

Anyway, I don't have cable so I missed this show.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited September 2006
    NBC isn't cable

Garlic Bread on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2006
    Yeah dude, rabbit ears and you've got it covered.

I liked it pretty well, and yeah, this wouldn't work as a cartoon. I think maybe it shouldn't be seen as a missed attempt at legitimizing cartoons, so much as a shot at making comic books seem less ridiculous to the average American.

DJ Eebs on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    hughtron wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    hughtron wrote:

Fair enough. I didn't say I agreed with him, I just said I could understand where he was coming from.

Anyway, I don't have cable so I missed this show.

Don't mind him. He's just Douglas and he hates everything.

Bloods End on
  • Zodiac BraveZodiac Brave Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Zodiac Brave on
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I thought the first episode was pretty good. Should be interesting to see how this develops.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • vinhjvinhj Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Hiro's parts were definitely the best. Mentioning Marvel superheroes and then teleporting to New York, the Backstreet boys karaoke (Google: chinese backstreet boys) had me rolling. It looks like they're earmarking Hiro for the some sort of wake-up call from his dreams of superhero grandeur, though.

vinhj on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    vinhj wrote:
    Hiro's parts were definitely the best. Mentioning Marvel superheroes and then teleporting to New York, the Backstreet boys karaoke (Google: chinese backstreet boys) had me rolling. It looks like they're earmarking Hiro for the some sort of wake-up call from his dreams of superhero grandeur, though.
    it would be nice if they didn't go that route; it's way too predictable. Why not just let things go right for him for once?

Conditional_Axe on
  • val^2val^2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Am I the only one watching this show just to find out what's up with the chick and her reflection?

[spoiler:7ad135686a]I mean, she cut one of those guys in half... or did she?[/spoiler:7ad135686a]

val^2 on
    "THERE IS NO MORE TIME, EVEN FOR CAKE. FOR YOU THE CAKE IS OVER. YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF CAKE." - DEATH
  • GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I was guessing that the whole reflection was an extrademensional version of her that acts as a "guardian". But, that's pure speculation.

Gigaton on
    edited September 2006
    Gigaton wrote:
    I was guessing that the whole reflection was an extrademensional version of her that acts as a "guardian". But, that's pure speculation.

I was thinking maybe she has multiple personalities? Or, um, something like Multiple Man PLUS multiple personalities?

I think my imagination is broken.

I think this is supposed to be explainable with science, somehow... how would an extradimensional version of her be explained? Parallel worlds?

val^2 on
    "THERE IS NO MORE TIME, EVEN FOR CAKE. FOR YOU THE CAKE IS OVER. YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF CAKE." - DEATH
  • GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Uh, yeah.

Gigaton on
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Htown wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    The new "hot" show Heroes premieres on NBC Monday at 9PM EST

the basic premise: real people getting superpowers. Examples: one girl is apparently invinicble, a guy can paint future events, one can fly, etc

it may or may not be typical television crap. I'll tune in to see if it's any good
    I thought it was pretty good.

And she's not really invincible, she's more like Wolverine - she gets hurt but she's got that "healing factor" going on.
    See, that's what I thought too, but then I saw that clip on the website of her running through the flames and not being burned. If she just had a healing factor, wouldn't she have burns that were in the process of healing when she was being checked over?

I actually didn't watch the first episode, but I'll try to catch it at some point or another.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
    edited September 2006
    And even if it was cellular regeneration, the impact of jumping off a bridge would still kill her

Garlic Bread on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Anyone who says this is explainable with science is a damn liar.

Scooter on
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm mostly intrigued by the technical implications, because in comic books invulnerability almost always goes hand in hand with super-strength; the one flows naturally from the other. I'm curious to see if that's the case here, as well as what other kinds of 'secondary' powers are developed by the main characters as they branch off from their main powers.

For example, the cop can hear people's thoughts. He has telepathy. Does that mean he can project thoughts as well? Control thoughts? Can he go beyond merely being aware of active thought patterns and actually wrest information from someone's mind?

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
    edited September 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Anyone who says this is explainable with science is a damn liar.

Aren't they setting it up to make it look like science is behind it all? What with all the talk of evolution and whatnot?

I definitely use the term "science" loosely... er, science fiction? Fantasy thinly veiled in scientific trappings?

val^2 on
    edited September 2006
    Another thing that bothered me was Hiro's power

He finally moves time backwards a second

but later that day he can teleport to New York

Garlic Bread on
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Accualt wrote:
    Accualt wrote:
    I thought it was actually very good. To me it could be called Ubreakable: The Series. The Japanese guy is awesome, for him alone I am thinking of getting cable so I may watch this show. More likely I'll just wlak over to my neighbors on Monday night.

Really, though, I found it to be good. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the "secret government type guy who is following them all." I hate that kind of stuff.

I thought NBC was one of those basic channels you didn't need cable for.

It is but it barely comes in at my house. I guess I could get rabbit ears, or some such sillyness, but it'll still look like crap. Half the reason I dopped cable was because of how terrible it looks on my HDTV. I figure we barely watch enough cable to warrent the monthly fee and we sure as shit don't watch enough to pay the price for digital cable so I just axed the whole dang thing.

Get a season pass on iTunes. My wife and I download shows from there on the laptop, plug it in via S-Video to the TV, and it looks....better than rabbit ears, slightly worse than cable, and if it's the only show, you end up saving money over a cable bill. :wink:

OH i loved the show. I just wish I could watch it without thinking "how is this not X-men?" But, I'm probably being over-critical.

Sharp10r on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    val^2 wrote:
    Gigaton wrote:

I was thinking maybe she has multiple personalities? Or, um, something like Multiple Man PLUS multiple personalities?

Psychic projection perhaps?

CyberJackal on
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:

Maybe eclipse increses their powers?

muninn on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
    That would actually be pretty cool (although I can't really think of any possible logical explaination for it). Knowing that their powers were going to ramp up every time there was an eclipse could be interesting story-wise.

DMAC on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2006
    There's definitely something going on with the eclipse. It's in all the print ads, and they made a point of all of them staring at it.

DJ Eebs on
  • Smoovy BSmoovy B Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Webcam chicks power I think is either Multiple Manish with like her reflection able to project out into the "real world" or Hulk black out rage type deal. Guess we'll have wait and see

Smoovy B on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:

Maybe he alters time AND space, so he can teleport "through time", per se?

The Muffin Man on
    edited October 2006
    [spoiler:71c8e0fc27]You're right, Muffin Man[/spoiler:71c8e0fc27]

Garlic Bread on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Holy crap I'm loving this show.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:

[spoiler:cc479b3109]I don't think he can teleport at all. i think on November 8, he's going to be in Isaac's apartment somehow. He's just leaping ahead in time.

he's not Nightcrawler, he's Quicksilver.[/spoiler:cc479b3109]

Conditional_Axe on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Daaaaaaaamn.

This show REALLY ramped up the goodness with the second show. The whole thing was great, I'm loving the fact we're starting to see some fallout from their powers, and the last 5 seconds was amazing.

werehippy on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    werehippy wrote:
    Daaaaaaaamn.

This show REALLY ramped up the goodness with the second show. The whole thing was great, I'm loving the fact we're starting to see some fallout from their powers, and the last 5 seconds was amazing.

Yea, this show is coming out pretty great so far. Most of the way through this episode I was kind of annoyed, nothing had seemed to really happen, but then the end, wow. I'll be coming back for sure to this.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:

[spoiler:e62aa3eab8]I don't think he can teleport at all. i think on November 8, he's going to be in Isaac's apartment somehow. He's just leaping ahead in time.

he's not Nightcrawler, he's Quicksilver.[/spoiler:e62aa3eab8]

[spoiler:e62aa3eab8]He teleported to the women's bathroom[/spoiler:e62aa3eab8]

Garlic Bread on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So yeah, what do you think the chances are that [spoiler:225127313a]the body in the desert is her boy's father?[/spoiler:225127313a]

Aoi on
    edited October 2006
    Aoi wrote:
    So yeah, what do you think the chances are that [spoiler:3281c0fdf1]the body in the desert is her boy's father?[/spoiler:3281c0fdf1]

[spoiler:3281c0fdf1]Wasn't it just a skull/skeleton? She's not going to report that[/spoiler:3281c0fdf1]

Garlic Bread on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Aoi wrote:
    So yeah, what do you think the chances are that [spoiler:88a89b284c]the body in the desert is her boy's father?[/spoiler:88a89b284c]

[spoiler:88a89b284c]Wasn't it just a skull/skeleton? She's not going to report that[/spoiler:88a89b284c]

[spoiler:88a89b284c]I thought it looked more like a head whose skin had dried and constricted around the skull. Basically skin jerky because of the heat of the desert. That coupled with the fact that the shovel was likely placed there by her alter ego for a reason. It seemed to me like she was telling herself something. A warning? Or her own personal realization that this wasn't the first time it happened. It seems like far too big of a coincidence that the shovel was placed where she told herself to go, and there just happened to be a body there already.[/spoiler:88a89b284c]

Aoi on