As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Need Help Corraling Some [Exalted]

tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
So here's the set-up. I have a group of friends that has been playing together fairly regularly for years. We just tied up the Pathfinder adventure series with the pirates. There was a great deal of dissatisfaction with the system by the end of the campaign. There are certainly some grating issues with Pathfinder in general, but I think to a greater extent the problem is the group's approach. We tend to powergame to an absurd degree then get irritated when the fights aren't challenging, argue excessively about the rules, and particularly with the current dm and some of the players, there is an adversarial feeling of players vs. dm.

I've had an idea for a game for some time that I think Exalted would be the ideal system for, and I think that, properly run, it could counteract some of those tendencies. I've gotten approval at last but I don't expect miracles and I want to be prepared for the game-breaking stuff my players are likely to dredge up.

As much as possible I'd like to be ready to counter this sort of thing rather than forbid certain options. It will help that I'm going to have access to everyone's character sheet well before we start playing so I can design appropriate challenges.

The players will be dragonblooded ninja and the campaign is going to be a fairly short action-adventure oriented game. There are five players in total. They will have access to pretty much anything dragonblooded might be reasonably expected to have in a second edition game. I will have access to anything I want to throw at them though right now I'm expecting their enemies to be other dragonblooded with the exception of one fae and one anathema.

Keep in mind that I only played this game once about seven years ago so I'm not exactly an expert on the system. What sort of madness should I expect from a determined game-breaker in this situation? What can I do to counter it? And are there any resources I should consult on the topic of broken builds, game breaking combos or the like?

Wii Code:
0431-6094-6446-7088

• Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    oh man

if you have a powergamer group

you're going to have to be aware that there will be escalation quickly as far as the game goes as it can be extremely munchkinny