As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fixed]Internet Connectivity Issues

Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
edited December 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
I feel silly for having to resort to this, but I'm running low on theories.

I run hotels for a living. At my work, I have a lobby computer for guests to use.

This computer can't access the internet as of yesterday.

We have two wireless networks, both of which I have verified are not having issues with other devices. The computer shows the networks and that it's connected, but no pages will come up.

I've checked the proxy server settings, I've made sure it's got a proper ip address. I can't ping anything though.

It has to be an isolated issue for this computer, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

And yes I've cycled all physical routers modems and the computer itself.

Moridin889 on

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Check the driver to see if it updated recently? Then power saving settings to see if it has turned off power to save some energy (usually on laptops).
    Dust out the computer, and try and reseat the card.
    Use wired connection?
    It very well could be the card going bad, as that is a thing that happens.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Can it ping its own ip? Is that IP static or automatically assigned? Do an ipconfig /all and see if you can ping your gateway and DNS servers. What is the DNS set to? Try setting the primary dns manually to 8.8.8.8 and see if you can reach the internet after.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Have you run a malware scan? It's a public computer, after all, so who knows what it could pick up without a lot of protection. Throw Malwarebytes at it and see if anything pops up.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    When using ping to diagnose a connection issue, you should ping the following addresses :

1. Loopback (127.0.0.1) - confirms that the OS is property handling network transmissions.

2. Your computer's IP address on the network - confirms that the network hardware on the machine works.

3. The gateway address - confirms the machine is reaching the router.

4. An IP on the Internet - confirms that you are able to get to a server online.

If all four work, then it's a DNS resolution issue.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    When using ping to diagnose a connection issue, you should ping the following addresses :

1. Loopback (127.0.0.1) - confirms that the OS is property handling network transmissions.

2. Your computer's IP address on the network - confirms that the network hardware on the machine works.

3. The gateway address - confirms the machine is reaching the router.

4. An IP on the Internet - confirms that you are able to get to a server online.

If all four work, then it's a DNS resolution issue.

Looks like it's number 3. Any probable fixes or should I just keep yelling at my it company until they send out a tech?

• Options
    All fixed. IT company had changed our router stuffs.