As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vegetarian fine dining in Annapolis

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
The wife and I are planning a fancy night down near historic Annapolis and I find myself running in to a snag: Nice restaurants don't seem to care much for vegetarians. I've been sifting through Yelp and Urbanspoon with only a little luck and was hoping people more familiar with the area might have a better idea of where we might have better luck. I would not be opposed to a short cab ride out of town but the closer the better.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Vegan or Vegetarian? I assume you don't eat fish, or this wouldn't be as big of an issue in MD. I've read about the Potato Valley Cafe but Its a daytime place/lunch place, they close at 5. If you're vegan looks like they have a bunch of cheese on everything too.

So close to the bay, I've got to imagine that you'll have a hard time finding anything but fish and crab, but unfortunately I only really know Baltimore restaurants.

• JdNoaJdNoa Registered User regular
    I haven't actually been to Annapolis but I looked through the Chowhound forums (my default food research site) and the one slightly promising looking option I saw was a small plates restaurant called Level:
    http://www.lannapolis.com/level/
    http://www.lannapolis.com/level/levelmenu.pdf
    Mind you, the recommendation was from 2010 so you might want to look for more recent reviews if it looks suitable to you.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    Vegan or Vegetarian? I assume you don't eat fish, or this wouldn't be as big of an issue in MD. I've read about the Potato Valley Cafe but Its a daytime place/lunch place, they close at 5. If you're vegan looks like they have a bunch of cheese on everything too.

So close to the bay, I've got to imagine that you'll have a hard time finding anything but fish and crab, but unfortunately I only really know Baltimore restaurants.
    Also just FYI a lot of cheese isn't even vegetarian so watch out for that.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2013
    Oh really? I know very little about the details of vegetarianism, so I apologize if it was a totally off base suggestions.

Level seems like a good option, you may want to just look for a good Indian restaurant, as they tend to have a nice selection of vegetarian options. In Baltimore we had a few that were pretty fancy.

Iruka on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Indian is a good idea. I'm not sure Annapolis has a substantial enough group of the right kind of people for much in the way of vegetarian fine dining that isn't ethnic.

What is this I don't even.
  • radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    So we found quite a few places. But thanks for the suggestions. :)

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    You don't run my life, woman!

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Iruka wrote: »
    Oh really? I know very little about the details of vegetarianism, so I apologize if it was a totally off base suggestions.

Level seems like a good option, you may want to just look for a good Indian restaurant, as they tend to have a nice selection of vegetarian options. In Baltimore we had a few that were pretty fancy.

To curdle milk into cheese, you usually use rennet, which is often harvested from juvenile/infant animal stomachs. But not all cheese is, and there are vegetarian rennets. It really depends.
    Quid wrote: »
    You don't run my life, woman!

She kinda does!