As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Versailles on the Potomac (and Hudson): The American Political Media

• SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Preacher wrote: »
    There was some other poll recently that was asking people about things that are quantifiable by fact. Like "has obamacare raised your insurance costs" so of course the numbers were all high because people in america are fucking idiots. But its like you shouldn't ask people what they "feel" when you can simply check a number of real resources to see the reality of things.

That could still be a legit polling question if you lead up to it.

"Are your health insurance premiums going up next year? By how much approximately? What would you say was the average increase was over the past 5 years? How much do you think Obamacare is to blame for your increase for next year (none/a little/some/a lot/all)?"

Sticks on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Congratulations, Mike Allen! You're America's Next Top Hack!

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Brooks' recent divorce demonstrates his lack of self-awareness.

• HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular

I read Brooks's "Thought Leader" column and thought someone should place him under suicide watch.

edited December 2013
    Oh, and there's no way I could let Glennspeed You! Beck Emperor go to waste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I0GfLh4SGU

AngelHedgie on
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Oh, and there's no way I could let Glennspeed You! Beck Emperor go to waste:

when was that from? because i think i may have slept through the riots in the UK he mentioned briefly there...

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    The 2011 riots that started in Tottenham. It was a pretty big deal.

They just had nothing to do with what Beck is talking about and everything to do with the police shooting an unarmed black teenager.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »

They just had nothing to do with what Beck is talking about and everything to do with the police shooting an unarmed black teenager.

that i do remember, which was why i was asking when the video was from. and as you say they were pretty isolated to a few parts of England(perhaps further isolated there within), so hardly an example of the fall of modern society in the UK.

then again it is Glenn Beck so i'm not sure why i think anything says should be representative of reality.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

that i do remember, which was why i was asking when the video was from. and as you say they were pretty isolated to a few parts of England(perhaps further isolated there within), so hardly an example of the fall of modern society in the UK.

then again it is Glenn Beck so i'm not sure why i think anything says should be representative of reality.

Yeah, I recently encountered The Blaze website for the first time. I scrubbed myself 'til I bled.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Congratulations, Mike Allen! You're America's Next Top Hack!

Their copy the guy's style thing is brilliant but makes the articles nearly unreadable.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

Yeah, I recently encountered The Blaze website for the first time. I scrubbed myself 'til I bled.

God...they do the AP hourly news radio thing now, but the greedy bastards actually sell an ad spot right smack dab in the middle of their hourly news blurbs; they read 2 stories, go to a long advertisement and then come back to read 2 or 3 more. It's sooo bad, and they don't even use any segues to properly separate the ad out.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think the only one I could get through was Erik Ericson's. The others were giving me headaches with repeat sentences, shit paragraph structure, and waaaaaaay to much BOLD. Which is good parody, but hurts mah brain.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

I don't really think of Glenn Beck when I'm trying to discuss political journalism.

I also don't think of the toothless guy huddled behind the Starbucks telling me that the black helicopters are going to hack my brainwaves.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I don't really think of the toothless homeless guy when I'm trying to discuss political journalism.

I also don't think of Glenn Beck huddled behind the Starbucks telling me that the black helicopters are going to hack my brainwaves.

That just sounds more right too me.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    CNN has just announced that 99% of chicken sold in America is "contaminated with bacteria."

I eagerly await their information regarding sky color and just how wet water might be.

Breaking: 99% of people have bacteria in their digestive system!

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    It’s wrong to describe an America in which the salt of the earth common people are preyed upon by this or that nefarious elite. It’s wrong to tell the familiar underdog morality tale in which the problems of the masses are caused by the elites.

The truth is, members of the upper tribe have made themselves phenomenally productive. They may mimic bohemian manners, but they have returned to 1950s traditionalist values and practices. They have low divorce rates, arduous work ethics and strict codes to regulate their kids.

Members of the lower tribe work hard and dream big, but are more removed from traditional bourgeois norms. They live in disorganized, postmodern neighborhoods in which it is much harder to be self-disciplined and productive.
    Wow

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Good fucking lord, that is beyond retarded for several reasons including this made up bullshit belief in the 50's as some kind of golden era.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Brooks is dumb, has always been dumb.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited December 2013
    The truth is, members of the upper tribe have made themselves phenomenally productive. They may mimic bohemian manners, but they have returned to 1950s traditionalist values and practices. They have low divorce rates, arduous work ethics and strict codes to regulate their kids.

Ha, yeah that one is one hell of a whopper. Conveniently forgets to mention how the upper tribe by and large inherited their money and contacts from their parents, who you know... worked in a time where you could transition into a well paying job with nothing but a high school education, and college was cheap.
    They work much longer hours than people down the income scale, driving their kids to piano lessons and then taking part in conference calls from the waiting room.

Taking conference calls in the waiting room isn't work ethic, it means you're an asshole who can't leave your professional life out of your personal one.

Dark_Side on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Good fucking lord, that is beyond retarded for several reasons including this made up bullshit belief in the 50's as some kind of golden era.

To be fair, it largely was. If you were rich, white, male, Christian, and with no mental or physical disabilities.

Which is all that matters in his mind.

• ConsernedConcervativeConsernedConcervative Registered User regular
    Shit, conservative humor strikes again.

I'm not going to challenge you to defend stuff because this thread especially is supposed to be about shitty examples of media from either side. So if you've got some of Krugman's stuff of him being stupid by all means post it. You may want to steer away from stuff like the President comment simply because he isn't a member of the media.

I'm talking about Obama's treatment by the media. I'm a real conservative, not one of Bush II's mindless drones who waxed lyrical about democracy while invading Iraq, which is why I'm completely flabbergasted by the silent treatment Bush III's been receiving by the liberal media (NYTimes, MSNBC and so on and so forth). Especially considering that his greatest success, domestically, was passing Romneycare in a national level.

I'm not going to challenge you to defend stuff because this thread especially is supposed to be about shitty examples of media from either side. So if you've got some of Krugman's stuff of him being stupid by all means post it. You may want to steer away from stuff like the President comment simply because he isn't a member of the media.

I'm talking about Obama's treatment by the media. I'm a real conservative, not one of Bush II's mindless drones who waxed lyrical about democracy while invading Iraq, which is why I'm completely flabbergasted by the silent treatment Bush III's been receiving by the liberal media (NYTimes,

I don't really think of Glenn Beck when I'm trying to discuss political journalism.

I also don't think of the toothless guy huddled behind the Starbucks telling me that the black helicopters are going to hack my brainwaves.

these are one and the same

Glenn Beck is more cogent than like 30% of Republican members of Congress, and he's more amusing/less self serious than most of the Village.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I'm talking about Obama's treatment by the media. I'm a real conservative, not one of Bush II's mindless drones who waxed lyrical about democracy while invading Iraq, which is why I'm completely flabbergasted by the silent treatment Bush III's been receiving by the liberal media (NYTimes, MSNBC and so on and so forth). Especially considering that his greatest success, domestically, was passing Romneycare in a national level.

The hell are you talking about?

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Forget it, Shryke; it's Derptown.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Whom is Bush 3?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    He's referring to the current President. Obliquely. It's sort of wrap around derp.

Anyway, the so called liberal media hasn't been all that friendly to the guy, nor has he been all that nice to them, his administration has a pretty icy reputation in that particular area. Then there's benghazi, the pretty negative coverage of the ACA rollout, the IRS thing, and so on. Some have this idea that the establishment media is biased on way or the other at large, and it's just not, it's entity out to make money and whatever turns pages, or garners clickthroughs, they're going to cover.

Also to protect themselves and their status.

Which is, as I remember, where Obama's "icy" reputation comes from. He doesn't handjob them as vigorously as they'd like.

(in generally apparently Obama just isn't as good an ass-kisser as guys like Clinton and it puts high level supporters and donors off because that's what they want in return for their support.)

Clinton was a hick from Arkansas, not the patrician types they're comfortable with.

edited December 2013
    Clinton was a hick from Arkansas, not the patrician types they're comfortable with.

Apparently he could glad-hand like a fucking champion though.

And that's exactly what most of these people want when they meet the president. They want someone powerful to make them feel special with a nice psychological handy.

shryke on
    RedTide wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

Forget it, Shryke; it's Derptown.

I was sincerely expecting respectful debate. As is, I can only abhor the education your parents gave you, one that makes gratuitous rudeness acceptable.

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    so, besides that guy, who the heck refers to obama as "Bush III"?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I was sincerely expecting respectful debate. As is, I can only abhor the education your parents gave you, one that makes gratuitous rudeness acceptable.
    I'm not sure if this is ironic. This describes both Allen West and Barack Obama, but one gets a pass (and a Nobel Peace Prize to boot), the other is evil.

I'm hoping beyond hope the "hack of the year" award goes to Paul Krugman, but alas, I really can't imagine how would Alex Pareene incorporate a baboon throwing feces at people who disagree with him.

Sure you were. Suuuuure you were. Someone just hijacked your account and went on a snark-rant, right?

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular

Angry, unhinged Libertarians?

Ron Paul fans, the dumber parts of the left.

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    huh. learn something new, every day.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    e:double post

Edith Upwards on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited December 2013

Glenn Beck is more cogent than like 30% of Republican members of Congress, and he's more amusing/less self serious than most of the Village.

When my state raped/cavity searched/performed invasive surgery on that scrap dealer for 14 hours and lost the other guy in solitary for a year Glenn Beck had to keep driving discussion back toward it. Because after they googled it they figured out that it's Martinez's(R) district. So they just fucking dropped it and began to agree with him as fast as possible in order to get back to hating Democrats.

He also defended Stalinists briefly against his fellow hosts, and has admitted to being an actor/dropped character on many occasions. So, uh, there's that.
    Suriko wrote: »

To be fair, it largely was. If you were rich, white, male, Christian, and with no mental or physical disabilities.

Which is all that matters in his mind.

As the spawn of every fair-skinned minority Americans have ever discriminated against I'mma call bullshit.

It was a great time to be a humorless WASP involved in non-vital industries who espoused all of the correct political views. Everyone else was fucked.

Edith Upwards on
This discussion has been closed.