As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[steam] Winter is Here

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    What the hell, let's try out steamgifts! It's open to EVERYONE.

signature.png

I also have a copy of Civ 5 for the first pm.

Civ 5 is claimed, also, holy hell. 6+ pages in 6 hours? You guys are crazy! Half of the posts in those pages are gifts! :P

akirasig.jpg
  • PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular

Civ 5 is claimed, also, holy hell. 6+ pages in 6 hours? You guys are crazy! Half of the posts in those pages are gifts! :P

Welcome to the Steam thread.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    P.S. Nobody's messaged me, so this shit is still open.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    space hulk just doesn't seem like the right move right now. reading everyone's reactions in the community hub is so disappointing. I don't need much for the game to be worth it but with the issues people mention I can't even see this price being good enough.

Anecdotal but I haven't had any issues running it. I don't remember seeing any one complaining about the game's performance in the G&T thread for the game either. Also a ton of work has gone into optimizing the game and resolving the issues the game had at launch. I'm not saying it's a must have game. I am saying that if you like Space Hulk and you want a solid computer version then this game is pretty good. Hell, the game has gotten more care than a lot of AAA games I have. This game totally comes at the subject from a table top approach though, if you don't have patience for that then skip it.

• MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    For anyone who was wondering, buying the founders pack of dungeon of the endless gets you a 50% discount voucher which DOES stack with the sale price for Endless Space and the expansion. Which means you can get it for $5 now, or assuming it goes to 75% off on a daily (which it probably will), you can get it for $3.75.

What's the style of Endless Space anyway? I'm looking for something nice and RTSy that isn't Starcraft, and I've been having trouble finding something modern. It looks really good, but I'm worried it's going to play more slowly than I want.

Endless Space is a Turn Based Strategy game. It's definitely not RTS. The battles are a little interactive, but not too much. It's more like Gal Civ2 or Master of Orion 2 than Starcraft or Sins of a Solar Empire.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    I have finally lived long enough to become a queen! On tonight's stream of Long Live the Queen, I made it on my first attempt. That means it took me 7 deaths before I survived to my coronation. I had multiple people guess 7, but the first one to do so was @Marikir! You win the secret prize, which is going to be the 7th game on your wishlist. Congrats!

If you missed the stream, and want to see it, here are links! (It cut out for a second in the middle, so there are two parts.)
    Long Live the Queen, Part III, Section A
    Long Live the Queen, Part III, Section B
    (The titles still say Part II, because I forgot to change it ahead of time and it keeps failing when I try to change it now.) Also, even though there were no proper bunny breaks this time, I did bring Benji out at the end to celebrate!

Alright you dirty dogs I've got some PM's so hold off now.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Man, it's been half a day and no one has gotten the rarest items for crafting the globes.

I can't imagine how much they'll go for on the market when someone gets one. It'll be like hitting the Steam Lottery.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Hey, you guys all voted for Alice, right? It's the game I don't own yet and I hear the hair physics are p cool.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    No matter how hard I try, I cannot forget the amazing generosity of @Khez. Thanks for Remember Me, which I've been wanting for like, forever.
    And so it begins.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    Hey, you guys all voted for Alice, right? It's the game I don't own yet and I hear the hair physics are p cool.

Hell no I voted for Mafia II, because I can't remember if I own it, but I definitely own Alice.

@PrjctD_Captain and @Emberquick won because PrjctD asked for a cheap game (and he needed it judging by his posts in all those awful JRPG threads).

• shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    A couple of late breaking thank you notes today. First, @Berylline. I thought I was safe from bunny-based attacks, protected by the angry Mini-Lop perched atop a plush companion cube near my desk. Apparently my protection was an illusion, since Berylline hit me with Resonance. Thank you, and Bun-Bun is fired.
    1aJSDrzl.jpg
    He doesn't even look sorry.

Second, while my defenses were still down, @Firebird hit me with Typing of the Dead!
    I think I have a peripheral just for this game... (digs through closet bin of gamepads, joysticks, left-hand keyboard replacements, and mice) Yup, found it!
    KOSN937l.jpg

Thank you both!

Edit: had to change that second image a tad.

shdwcaster on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    darklite_x wrote: »

Hell no I voted for Mafia II, because I can't remember if I own it, but I definitely own Alice.

@PrjctD_Captain and @Emberquick won because PrjctD asked for a cheap game (and he needed it judging by his posts in all those awful JRPG threads).

You fool! Mafia 2 has been free before!

FREE!

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    @Idolninja was so impressed with Bioshock Infinite lately that he insists I play through it even though he is quite aware of my distaste for the first game. He and I both have discussed the original and share many of the same feelings on the game. So I'm totally going to give this baby an honest shot and put my Deus Ex HR DE run on hold.

Thanks buddy, I'll do my best to keep an open mind. I anticipate I'll enjoy myself though, I'm probably the last hold out on this game after all the incredible praise it's received. :P

edited December 2013
    Drake wrote: »
    Idolninja was so impressed with Bioshock Infinite lately that he insists I play through it even though he is quite aware of my distaste for the first game. He and I both have discussed the original and share many of the same feelings on the game. So I'm totally going to give this baby an honest shot and put my Deus Ex HR DE run on hold.

Thanks buddy, I'll do my best to keep an open mind. I anticipate I'll enjoy myself though, I'm probably the last hold out on this game after all the incredible praise it's received. :P

Not sure your problems with the first, but I just finished Infinite a few days ago. It's fairly different, but more consistent than the Bioshock 1. Few things in it could have used a bit more explaining, but overall, I think it's probably better than the first.

Brutal J on
    edited December 2013

Hey! Not all of them are terrible!

And you really know how to get into the holiday spirit, what with gifting me Dishonored and all, thanks a ton man!

E: I should get in on all this classiness somehow...

PrjctD_Captain on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    signature.png

It's actually open now!

uyvfOQy.png
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Oh shit winter steam sales. And here I am without money to spend on games. Oh well I still need to finish quite a few games I have, and new games I want will no doubt be a lot cheaper year (I'm looking at you Arkham origins).

Anyway, if I can scrounge together some cash after I finish Christmas shopping, I try to either buy one of you guys a game or donate it child's play. In the mean time I might as well offer up the only game in my inventory. Good luck, y'all! I hear it's quite good ;)

signature.png

Also, big thanks to the very classy @Berylline for gifitng me Legend of Fae. :)

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    Ok, now I am catching up with things. Some people thought it would be a good idea to gift me things while I was streaming, so that I could not immediately retaliate. You know, there are lists for these kinds of things...

A huge thanks to @MrVyngaard for Bionic Commando! Another huge thanks to @Antoshka for both Dream and The Novelist, plucked right from the wishlist! You are both entirely too classy!

Too much class contained within!
    FazIhR4.jpg
    v8YSo24.jpg
    BT1WTvw.jpg

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So, this is technically me losing Long Live The Queen during the stream last night (I was playing too, for the hell of it).

But... I call it a win (It is an achievement, and she looks so happy!)
    zMXwUp0.jpg

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    ho ho ho

get gifted on motherfuckers

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    300 posts while I was at work, keeping up with the steam thread during a sale is like a full time job :|

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    So instead of upgrading my still pretty damn awesome gaming desktop, I'm going to replace my aging 4+ year old gaming laptop. I have the perfect laptop parted out for about $2,200 with everything in it from a GTX 780m to a 120hz display.

Question now is should I buy it right now, or wait till after Christmas and see if anything get's thrown on referb sections of major seller sites. For example a friend of mine told me right after Christmas people that splurge on themselves for the holidays tend to decide they didn't want a 4 thousand dollar laptop after all, and return it within the return window. Then companies like Alienware will list that returned laptop as a refurb, because they can't resell it as new, for half the price. Do I wait on the gamble of getting a better laptop crazy cheap, or do I buy now as to not possibly miss out on some minor free upgrades I'd get during the holiday sale on the laptop I'm looking at.

This is the laptop I'm currently looking at:
    http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9380s-clevo-p370sm3-p-6109.html?wconfigure=yes

I ask here because it would be my Steambox/Big Picture Mode machine that I also use for travel gaming. Also the Laptop thread in Moe's doesn't get much traffic.
    Thoughts on the laptop itself, or possibly a better recommendation?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    Hahaha, I am sometimes as much of an idiot as Elodie from LLtQ. My inbox was a bit overrun, and I missed some responses. The actual first person to guess 7 deaths (and the first person to guess at all) was @TeeMan, so he gets a prize. (Marikir, consider yours a random Holiday gift! :) )

• EmberquickEmberquick Master of Dungeons Deep UndergroundRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013

Wow, thanks--really generous of you, @darklite_x !

I suppose I should probably pick a game now--my Pavlovian contest reflexes kicked in and I sent you a message so fast I didn't even choose anything. :)

Emberquick on
    steam_sig.png
  • ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    @Berylline was kind enough to gift me into a The Pit while I was watching her stream--and now maybe I want to be a queen as a result.

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    @an_alt has gifted me Dishonored: Brigmore Witches! Thank you very much! It is because of the fantastic Gladius. @DoctorArch knows what I'm talking about! I've always hoped for Gladius to show up on PSN or something but with Lucasarts gone the chances of that seem slim. :(

Damnit, for a second I thought that Gladius was on Steam. A guy can wish, I guess.

Actually, the whole thing started with someone (cj?, rd?) talking about Gradius and I posted how disappointed I was after realizing it wasn't Gladius.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
    Brutal J wrote: »
    Idolninja was so impressed with Bioshock Infinite lately that he insists I play through it even though he is quite aware of my distaste for the first game. He and I both have discussed the original and share many of the same feelings on the game. So I'm totally going to give this baby an honest shot and put my Deus Ex HR DE run on hold.

Not sure your problems with the first, but I just finished Infinite a few days ago. It's fairly different, but more consistent than the Bioshock 1. Few things in it could have used a bit more explaining, but overall, I think it's probably better than the first.

It's easier for me to talk about what I liked in Bioshock, and that was Rapture and the art deco design. I really didn't like anything else about it. The hacking minigame, the shooting, the interface, the heavy handed storytelling and black/white morality choices with the little sisters. I pretty much just didn't like that game, even though on paper it had a lot of things that I anticipated digging. Idol and I have really similar taste in games and stuff though so I look forward to being swept away. He seems to be convinced that I'll have a great time, and I can't remember a time he's been wrong about that.

edited December 2013
    Ok, so if there is a game I feel needs more love its this one:

signature.png

PrjctD_Captain on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    emp123 wrote: »
    Okay, my Steam is still being a piece of shit and doing this. Why

Okay, so I decided to opt into the beta client to see if it would resolve my issues...but now Im back to not being able to download the Steam client because it keeps losing progress and eventually tells me that Steam needs to be connected to the internet. I know this isnt an internet issue as Im not losing connection to anything else and Ive tried both my home wifi and tethering my phone to my computer and the issue persists. Im super tempted to just nuke this install from orbit and start over, but Im pretty lazy and my Windows 7 disc is like 500 miles away.

I just want Steam to work :(

EDIT: And according to my phone, I downloaded 270MBs in an attempt to download the 89 required for the Steam update.

emp123 on
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is steam roulette broken?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    Voted for Waking Mars and bought Electronic Super Joy.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Yup, just threw a La Mulana booster pack on the market for 71 cents. And it might actually sell for that price, even though each card is averaging at like 17 cents.

Yeah, that's how it normally works - I'm a card fiend, and I sell my booster packs.

However, with all the people buying cards right now to try to get more winter sale cards to try at the rare item drops, card prices are driving up and no one remembers to check booster packs. So sometimes you can find booster packs for cheaper than 3 normal (read: not foil) cards would be. Not necessarily enough to PROFIT (I almost got bitten by that when I tried to flip some with Stealth Bastard Deluxe before - I ended up making a few cents off it, but not much) after Valve takes their cut if you resell, but if you're trying to make a badge and are willing to trade with other PA folks on a 1:1 basis in the same game, just grab a booster and if you don't get lucky, send out a trade offer.

edited December 2013
    Berylline wrote: »
    I have finally lived long enough to become a queen! On tonight's stream of Long Live the Queen, I made it on my first attempt. That means it took me 7 deaths before I survived to my coronation. I had multiple people guess 7, but the first one to do so was @Marikir! You win the secret prize, which is going to be the 7th game on your wishlist. Congrats!

If you missed the stream, and want to see it, here are links! (It cut out for a second in the middle, so there are two parts.)
    Long Live the Queen, Part III, Section A
    Long Live the Queen, Part III, Section B
    (The titles still say Part II, because I forgot to change it ahead of time and it keeps failing when I try to change it now.) Also, even though there were no proper bunny breaks this time, I did bring Benji out at the end to celebrate!

Coolness! Thanks so much, Berylline. Very kind and classy of you. And congrats to you. Long Live the Queen, indeed!

EDIT:
    Berylline wrote: »
    Hahaha, I am sometimes as much of an idiot as Elodie from LLtQ. My inbox was a bit overrun, and I missed some responses. The actual first person to guess 7 deaths (and the first person to guess at all) was @TeeMan, so he gets a prize. (Marikir, consider yours a random Holiday gift! :) )

Ah, that is slightly amusing. I was kinda surprised if I was to have been the first to guess seven, but considered myself lucky. That consideration holds, at the very least. Regardless, thank you so much Berylline. I will toss my character through many windows in honor of your gift.

Marikir on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Thanks for Underrail, @Berylline! I played the Alpha of this a couple of months ago so I'm really keen to see how it's progressing

iUtYO3t.jpg

steam_sig.png
    edited December 2013

It's easier for me to talk about what I liked in Bioshock, and that was Rapture and the art deco design. I really didn't like anything else about it. The hacking minigame, the shooting, the interface, the heavy handed storytelling and black/white morality choices with the little sisters. I pretty much just didn't like that game, even though on paper it had a lot of things that I anticipated digging. Idol and I have really similar taste in games and stuff though so I look forward to being swept away. He seems to be convinced that I'll have a great time, and I can't remember a time he's been wrong about that.

If those were your complaints then yeah, at the very least you'll like this one more than Bioshock 1 for sure.

Brutal J on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Man, it's been half a day and no one has gotten the rarest items for crafting the globes.

I can't imagine how much they'll go for on the market when someone gets one. It'll be like hitting the Steam Lottery.

They're just emoticons and wallpapers right? Or did i miss something and should I be crafting with more fervor?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    edited December 2013
    And I suddenly am hit by another gift. @Dirtyboy has given me the joy of theft in the city of Monaco.

Very much appreciated. Thanks again.

Marikir on
This discussion has been closed.