As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game Over Cult Victory]Christmas Down Under: A Do-It-Yourself [Miniphalla]

romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
edited December 2013 in Critical Failures
The traditional white Christmas is getting boring. I think it's time to bring this train of holiday cheer 'down under.'

aussie%20christmas.jpg

What is This?

This is a MiniPhalla for up to 25 people. See here for information on what a Phalla is.

This an annual mini I run, the predecessors being this game, this game and this game so you're encouraged to read some of those if you want a good idea as to what goes on. They get intensely crazy but usually remain pretty fun. If you're expecting a tactical game, this is not the one for you, or maybe it is and you should live a little.

The Catch

Rather than me assigning roles, each person will make his own role and send it to me in a PM.

I will then collect all the roles and 'balance' them. This 'balancing' might take a variety of forms. I might impose some bizarre restriction on what you sent me, modify it slightly or just flat out ignore your sugestion and give you nothing.

The only direct rule on role choice that exists is that, as this is a Aussie Christmas themed game, Your role must be at least loosely related to the 'Christmas Down Under' theme.
Note: I am Australian however I don't expect any accurate portrayals (in fact I suspect the ones based on obvious falsities will be far funnier).

You're welcome to suggest win condition/faction along with your role but don't be surprised if that changes.The roles of each faction really depend on what gets sent in by everyone.

Ok, so how do i play?

If you want to play, you need to send me a PM with your proposed role. Signing up is entirely optional. If you do so I'll add you to the player list in italics and reserve your spot for 6hours or longer (in the event I'm sleeping or abducted by a koala). This should give everyone time to come up with a good role and not feel rushed.

The bare minimum you need to send me is a character name and a brief description.
Obviously the more you send (i.e powers, win conditions/alignment etc) the more your character is in your control rather than mine.

At the end I'll share all the roles and my favourite one will win best role PM. Here, here and here are the past three winning roles.

Helpful tips on making a submission
  • BE CREATIVE! The more creative you are, the more likely I am to give you what you submit or atleast more of it. Also don't worry too much about the strength of the connection with Christmas, last year the best role was someone from a different holiday who just mixed it up. I allowed it because it was really creative. See where I'm going with this?
  • BE UNIQUE! Powers like vigs and seers are really strong. But they're also likely to be requested a lot, and that means people gettting hit with the 'balancing' stick. Here is a pretty good list of mafia(the game not faction) roles that you can use for inspiration.
  • You can contact me for advice on your role before submitting it. I generally have a good idea on how strong I want to make each role and I can lead you to that.

RULES:
    • No anonymous contact. PMs, proboards, IRC or IMs etc are all allowed as long as both players talking know who the other is in game. Additionally, i ask that you send me links to any proboards you create.
    • Don't use the 'add to conversation feature in a conversation that's already been started. It allows you to prove what someone said in a way that shouldn't be possible.
    • No screenshotting or direct quoting of your role PM or any other information I send you. You are allowed to paraphrase it however, unless i state otherwise but no madlibs or trying to use my wording to prove anything.
    • Dead players may not converse with living players and vice versa. When you die, whatever you know dies with you. Ghost posts are tolerated but they must not contain anything game related.
    • Voting is done in bold red. Retracting can be done in bold lime but is not required, just revote.
    • Posts containing a vote cannot be edited. You are not allowed to delete posts.
    • Clarifications should be asked in bold orange.
    • You must make ONE vote each day. There is no minimum post number, but if I feel you are not contributing to the game enough I will send you a warning (not the same as an inactivity notice). If you fail to meet these requirements you will have 12 hours to respond to my inactivity notice PM or I will contact a reserve to replace you.

VOTE CLOSE will be at 6PM AEST(Australian eastern standard time), 2am NY,USA

I'm happy to relay messages you wish to post after vote close but before narration for people as I realise that it's a late vote close for many people.

For convenience sake, if you want to PM me individually, please reply to your role PM. It makes it easier if i have one PM strand from each player.

Village Win condition: Ensure Christmas remains safe and fun for everyone.

[Gift Giving]
    One or more players have the ability to give gifts to others. This is a nightly action and occurs at day end. If you receive a gift, it will be instantaneous and you use it, keep it or pass it on as you see fine. Passing it on is theoretically instantaneous and happens as fast as I can respond to the PMs. That means a gift can change hands many times in one day and you can get one and use it on the same day.

Player List:
    1.Obifett
    2.Auralynx
    3.Egos
    4.Premium
    5.Vertroue
    6.jdarksun
    7.Enlightenedbum
    8.matev
    9.Slym
    10.Locus
    11.discrider
    12lonelyahava
    13.Gizzy
    14.Zombie Hero
    15.Mill
    16.Kilnaga
    17.Hippie
    18.Preda
    19.Spoit
    20.Bedlam
    21.38thdoe
    22.Farangu
    23.Kime
    24.Mikeycts
    25.Langly

romanqwerty on

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I used to play WoW with Australians. This is the same thing, right?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• EgosEgos Registered User regular

• premiumpremium Registered User regular

• vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    yeash

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
    In aussy land emo people are emus...

Blood and Fire
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    Is it okay if I sign up, even if I can't get you my role for about 12 hours? I have an idea but don't really have time to flesh it out right now. I understand if not and I will just keep my fingers crossed that there is still an opening when I wake up!

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Role sent in

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited December 2013

discrider on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    gimme gimme gimme a role after midnight.

ohhello, I didn't see you guys there.

Ahavaaaaaaa

Blood and Fire
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Gasp!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    it's christmas!

That means there's a chance I can play while at work!

Cause everybody is gonna be out at the beach!

CHOICE!

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Gizzy

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Sure

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    The Mill is in!

gimme gimme gimme a role after midnight.

ohhello, I didn't see you guys there.

are you gonna create another invincible bubble shield lady :D<3 ?

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    ah damn i have the worst case of writer's block tonight.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • HippieHippie Registered User regular
    Me too!

Will have a role done up shortly, have a work xmas thing to go to, will send one in when i'm back. That ok?

• KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Keep me a place
    But no time to work on it at work today, I'll do it tonight at home (15ish hours)

I'm having trouble thinking of an Aussie Themed Christmas thing...without resorting to something related to Crocodile Dundee

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I'm having trouble thinking of an epic Phalla power..without resorting to vig, or seer.

ain't nothing wrong with good old vanilla.

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    I'm having trouble thinking of an epic Phalla power..without resorting to vig, or seer.

You could hand out the "Curse of Christmas Miley Cyrus" and make different people have a posting restriction to RP as the pop star for the day.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Going to sleep, but reserving my slot, if there's still space? Summer up

steam_sig.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    But why not make it a main? Does phallawards take up that slot? (Is it still going?)

steam_sig.png
    I suspect it would be too much work without reworking people's concepts to a great degree.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Signup

Cant submit anything till after work, so 8ish hours from now if that's ok.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    But why not make it a main? Does phallawards take up that slot? (Is it still going?)
    My guess is the increased insanity for the host.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    sign

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »

You could hand out the "Curse of Christmas Miley Cyrus" and make different people have a posting restriction to RP as the pop star for the day.

There were clearly not enough post restrictions last time around. Let's out do it proud!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    signup or reserve if unavailable.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    What Mikey said.

I'm not sure why , but farangu saying that has made me think we aren't utilizing a famous Cereal commercial phrase as much as we could be.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Woahhh did not notice this going up

The player list is not updated? Not sure if I've actually made it or not. I hope so though, these are my favorite yearly games :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    22. Langly
    23. Mikeycts
    24. Farangu
    25. Kime