As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

To Buy or to Lease a Nissan Leaf

2»

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I'd strongly recommend leasing as well.

You'll almost always have the option of buying it at the end of the lease, and you're generally not going to be paying THAT much more than you would if you just bought it outright. With something like an EV - being new and somewhat unproven technology that's likely to improve significantly over the next few years - the extra amount you might pay is probably worth the extra risk in buying.

I would have to see exactly how many miles you drive / year to be sure, but leasing sounds like the way to go. I'll also point out that if you aren't sure where you will be lifewise at the end of the lease, having the flexibility to buy a sedan / mini-van (baby) or something with more range (if you move to where you have a longer commute) will be nice as well.

I'm a person who strongly prefers buying, since I drive < 10,000 miles / year and like not having a car payment for 3-5 years at a time, but I'm also not looking at 1st generation technology. Although, wife and I did discuss buying a Volt we don't anticipate any big changes.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    The Prius is more than 15 years old and it has sold millions and the tech is basically the same. It has seen 10-15% (?) improvement in mileage but whether that's thru weight saving or actual improvement in either regenerative braking or battery tech is anyones guess.

The idea that there is going to be some breakthru in EV over the next 5 years that will render your Leaf worthless is fiddle faddle. Even if the tech appears it still needs to be brought to market. Do not let that figure into your calc whether to buy vs lease.

Djeet on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the Prius is not the same class of car as a Leaf

whether or not the weight saving or the mileage changes, there is clearly a ton of room for tech advances in the 12 hours it can take to charge these cars from empty

The Prius is in the exact same class as the Leaf, an economy compact with a drive mechanism alternate from a traditional combustion engine. Gas hybrids, diesels and EVs all command a premium over gas. Major breakthroughs are only going to be seen when it needs to happen, which is a stable gas price considerably higher then where we're at.

The idea that a Nissan EV is going be see catastrophic reduction in resale vs its' hybrid, gasoline, or diesel powered alternatives is silly. The people who buy these things have already decided on the lifestyle change.

• mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »
    The Prius is more than 15 years old and it has sold millions and the tech is basically the same. It has seen 10-15% (?) improvement in mileage but whether that's thru weight saving or actual improvement in either regenerative braking or battery tech is anyones guess.

The idea that there is going to be some breakthru in EV over the next 5 years that will render your Leaf worthless is fiddle faddle. Even if the tech appears it still needs to be brought to market. Do not let that figure into your calc whether to buy vs lease.

Uh, I don't really agree with any of this.

The current (3rd gen) Prius is waaay ahead of the first and even 2nd generations, the latter of which was made as late as 2009. There are numerous gains in maintainability, mileage (around 25%), and even performance in that time.

The Leaf certainly won't be worthless in 5 years, but it's very possible that its relative resale value would be far lower than any other 5 year old car. If a new standard EV charger comes out, if Tesla makes good on their promises of a 35k car, etc...the technologies (and subsequently, the market) are still maturing so there's a lot that can change. Since this is a niche product in a niche market, I'd hardly consider the notion that the Leaf's resale value may suffer "fiddle-faddle." Shit, I'm glad I waited 1 year to buy my 2010 Prius instead of my 2009. Had I waited another year, I could've gotten a plug-in.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Uh, not really. If a hybrid's battery goes down to 60% capacity, it gets slight reduction is gas mileage. If a full EV loses that much capacity you need to replace the battery or you're effed.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Lots of ifs. Personally I buy based on what's out there. Sub-35K Tesla, what are we smoking here?

When I say the tech is basically improved 10-15% I mean fuel economy. Any mature line will be more reliable than it's 1st few years out.

I guess fiddle faddle is too vague, let's go with fatuous futurism.

• KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    ceres wrote: »
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Taking an approach that the OP gets to define the possible acceptable answers is really a garbage-in, garbage-out approach. If somebody asks "should I kill myself with rope or a plastic bag", you don't honor the premises of the question, you tell them what they should do, which is seek psychiatric care. Financial questions aren't as significant, but the same basic approach should make sense.

Actually at this point there would be a post with some hotlines and a locked thread because somewhere along the way someone realized that the forums do not count as professional help, which is what would be called for and the only actual responsible course of action.

This is not that situation. This is something the OP can afford to do and it is HIS FUCKING MONEY, if he wants to know if he should piss on it or light it on fire that WOULD be his business if destroying it was not illegal, but since it is illegal the correct answer would be piss on it since you can't advise people to do things that are illegal in H/A.

If he is asking what to do with the money, you can answer whatever you want. You can say "hey, instead of pissing on that money, why don't you donate it to orphans in Sudan?" If he did not have the money to choose between the two options presented, telling him to do one of them would be bad advice. But he is not asking what to do, he is asking which to do, and he DOES have the money, so people can fucking well answer the damn question. If you don't like that, take your concern to PMs where I will explain this again for you, but it is not actually up for debate here.

But again, as he's asking whether to lease or get a loan, he doesn't have the money.

The only good advice is to not get into debt for something that isn't needed at all. He's free to ignore the advice, but I don't see anything wrong with giving that opinion and maybe if enough people feel the same, he might reevaluate his finances and make a better decision.

Comparing this to suicide is definitely ridiculous, it's more like the countless threads with people asking how to [get back with the girl that cheated on them / convince their best friend that already said no to date them] and not expecting people to say "advising you on how to get back with that person is foolish, you should move on" etc.

Karrmer on
    I could absolutely buy it if I wanted to. I was asking about leasing, which I agree is usually a pretty bad idea, because EVs are a special case right now.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    leasing is not a bad idea if you like cars

and it's certainly not any worse than buying a new car

if you're only concern is to lose as little money as possible then the "smart" buy is to buy a 3 year old mass market shitmobile and get its oil changed on the regular

other than that, you're going to pay money for the car you want, accept it and use the tools available

leasing is one of them

P.S. the vast majority of new mid-ranged luxury cars are leased, not bought, because they *are* way better deals than buying

Jasconius on
    Aioua wrote: »
    I could absolutely buy it if I wanted to. I was asking about leasing, which I agree is usually a pretty bad idea, because EVs are a special case right now.

If you have the cash on hand to buy the Leaf outright, then by all means lease it and enjoy - but if you're only justifying the purchase because you're sure you can afford the monthly payments, but you have little cash or savings on hand, it's a bad idea.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Original post mentioned a federal credit. Take a look at this site from Tesla to see if you'd get anything from your state or county.

I'd like to get a hybrid Camery mostly for the SCIENCE! factor as well.

MichaelLC on
    Lol, no I don't have 30k in liquid assets. I meant I could afford to get a loan for that, put around 15% down, afford the loan payments, and still have a fair amount in my savings after.

But if you're in the "only buy cars for cash" camp that's a whole different economic mindset. One that, in my experience, costs you about the same amount of money in repairs on a beater you hate driving as getting a loan on a new or mostly-new car.

edited December 2013
    Lol, no I don't have 30k in liquid assets. I meant I could afford to get a loan for that, put around 15% down, afford the loan payments, and still have a fair amount in my savings after.

But if you're in the "only buy cars for cash" camp that's a whole different economic mindset. One that, in my experience, costs you about the same amount of money in repairs on a beater you hate driving as getting a loan on a new or mostly-new car.

Well, I don't agree with that at all - my Prius was $9k cash with 100k miles and I'll probably be able to push it to 250k or more without needing anything more than oil changes and new tires. This stigma that modern vehicles need constant repairs is just wrong, these things aren't 1998 Dodge Neons.

Not that I'm saying to never buy a nice car anyway, just that if you're going to waste money on this (I've bought my share of cool cars too, I get the draw and I don't *regret* it, but it's still ultimately a waste) at least have a decent chunk of savings sitting around. Don't get strapped into some big lease/loan on a car you don't need if you're only able to make the lease/loan payments.

Karrmer on
    Heh, my experiences are probably colored by my last two cars being a 95 neon and a 99 oldsmobile. :rotate:

But yeah, even after lease payments start up I'll have plenty of savings and discretionary income. My next goal is 3 months' income in liquid savings. I'm close, but not there yet.

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    As an FYI, I believe that there are a few other EV cars out there that compete against the Nissan Leaf, like the Chevy Spark EV (140 hp, $27k), Fiat 500e (111 hp, $32k), Honda Fit EV (123 hp, lease only), Ford Focus Electric (143 hp, $35k).

At the bare minimum, you should go out and drive the competiting EV cars, before leasing the Leaf.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
    edited December 2013
    Of those, only the Spark is currently sold in WA state. I'll take a look though. :)

EDIT: Oh wait, despite the name, the Spark isn't an EV. I'm guessing you were thinking of the Volt, which I could get, but they're hybrids.

Aioua on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Yeah, there aren't a lot of competing pure electric cars on the market right now.

Have you looked at Tesla's offerings by chance? I know their most popular model is a luxury car, but they have a more affordable model coming down the pipeline, depending on how long you want to wait while your cash is still hot.

Who knows, they might even take your Dogecoins!

:P

With Love and Courage
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Yeah, there aren't a lot of competing pure electric cars on the market right now.

Have you looked at Tesla's offerings by chance? I know their most popular model is a luxury car, but they have a more affordable model coming down the pipeline, depending on how long you want to wait while your cash is still hot.

Who knows, they might even take your Dogecoins!

:P

The affordable model probably isn't going to hit for a year at least, possible 2.

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Of those, only the Spark is currently sold in WA state. I'll take a look though. :)

EDIT: Oh wait, despite the name, the Spark isn't an EV. I'm guessing you were thinking of the Volt, which I could get, but they're hybrids.

http://www.inventory.ford.com/dealer/AutoNation-Ford-Lincoln-Bellevue-08556/model/2014-Focus-Electric/vin/1FADP3R42EL162261?zipcode=98101&segment=Hybrid&inventoryType=extended&ownerPACode=08693&&lang=en&branding=1

Bellevue Washington(no idea how close that is to you).

And while I stand by my original asse$$ment, you SHOULD go check out the focus with Sync if you are looking for ridiculous nerd tech. The voice command stuff is really good. Been really impressed with all the gizmos so far.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    edited December 2013
    That's the "extended inventory". That is, they can totally order one, after I pay. Can't actually test drive one.

I mean, I've looked at most of these cars already. I really do like the Leaf, as well as liking Nissan.

Aioua on
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    I'd say pull the trigger on a lease man. The Nissan Leaf isn't for everyone (as evidenced by this thread) but it is for some people. And if you're one of them, I think you can insulate yourself a bit from the volatile EV market and changes in technology by getting yourself a get-out-of-jail-free card 5 years from now. Plus, if your life situation changes at all (location, family, commute, etc.) then you won't want to be saddled with something that has such a limited range.

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    That's the "extended inventory". That is, they can totally order one, after I pay. Can't actually test drive one.

I mean, I've looked at most of these cars already. I really do like the Leaf, as well as liking Nissan.

Gross. Only good thing they make is the Zs.

Hush you : P

Also in dealership as we speak.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

What about the GTR?

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Hush you : P

Also in dealership as we speak.

Negotiate HARDER! Demand the sales mans first born child to do with as you please!

...or maybe just nice floor mats.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Success! Talked down the price a ways, made them give me maintenance for the duration of the lease. They tried to sneak in a first months' payment in addition to the down but I told them to shove off on that.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Hooray!

Now come visit everyone in this thread and take them out for ice cream.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Hooray!

Now come visit everyone in this thread and take them out for ice cream.

How do electric cars fare at crossing oceans?

Is the ocean less than 100 miles across? I don't think they have charging stations in the ocean.

You might have heard of it, it's called the Pacific Ocean.

edited December 2013
    It's not looking good, boys.
    BiSWCe5.png

Aioua on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I like how they have a single charger in Hawaii and it's not even on the big island. Just in case you want to drive completely around the small island more than once a day.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The Big Island isn't the most developed or populated, Oahu is.

3d5dMpx.jpg

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

What about the GTR?

Souped up Z. ;)

What about the GTR?

Souped up Z. ;)

I hope that winky face means you're pulling my leg...