As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[steam] Winter is Here

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    jqvEoKh.png
    @berylline has provided knowledge for the generation that will be tutored by me.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    emp123 wrote: »
    Okay, my Steam is still being a piece of shit and doing this. Why

Okay, so I decided to opt into the beta client to see if it would resolve my issues...but now Im back to not being able to download the Steam client because it keeps losing progress and eventually tells me that Steam needs to be connected to the internet. I know this isnt an internet issue as Im not losing connection to anything else and Ive tried both my home wifi and tethering my phone to my computer and the issue persists. Im super tempted to just nuke this install from orbit and start over, but Im pretty lazy and my Windows 7 disc is like 500 miles away.

I just want Steam to work :(

EDIT: And according to my phone, I downloaded 270MBs in an attempt to download the 89 required for the Steam update.

So my tale of woe continues:
    I cant download games. Well, I can, but they dont. I bought Far Cry 3 and so far its downloaded 9kbs. Ive run CCleaner, Ive manually deleted references to Steam in regedit, Ive tried running in compatibility mode, Ive tried restarting, and opting into the beta...I dont know what else to do :(

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I downloaded Papers Please last night (or the night before) so I dont know what the fuck is up with Far Cry 3 not working.

emp123 on
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I'm always tempted to get FF7 when I see it but I know I'd never actually play it. I wish they hadn't put it on steam.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • EmberquickEmberquick Master of Dungeons Deep UndergroundRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Ohhh, now The Secret World gets a flash for ten bucks--after I bought it for fifteen and gifted three more copies out to friends during the last sale!

<shakes fist>

NEWELL! How did I displease thee?

<Yells at clouds>

Ah, well. In other news, I'm sleepy. Good night, folks.

EDIT:
    So sleepy I almost forgot--more important than my ramblings is that @Vegan gave me Titan Attacks! Many thanks!

Emberquick on
    steam_sig.png
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    @Heenato is classin the place up like crazy. Just surprised me with Noitu Love 2 Devolution! Thanks so much!

Dude was on a classy spree, and I was apparently on the hit list. Thanks, @Heenato, for also Noitu Love 2!

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular

Okay, so I decided to opt into the beta client to see if it would resolve my issues...but now Im back to not being able to download the Steam client because it keeps losing progress and eventually tells me that Steam needs to be connected to the internet. I know this isnt an internet issue as Im not losing connection to anything else and Ive tried both my home wifi and tethering my phone to my computer and the issue persists. Im super tempted to just nuke this install from orbit and start over, but Im pretty lazy and my Windows 7 disc is like 500 miles away.

EDIT: And according to my phone, I downloaded 270MBs in an attempt to download the 89 required for the Steam update.

I cant download games. Well, I can, but they dont. I bought Far Cry 3 and so far its downloaded 9kbs. Ive run CCleaner, Ive manually deleted references to Steam in regedit, Ive tried running in compatibility mode, Ive tried restarting, and opting into the beta...I dont know what else to do :(

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I downloaded Papers Please last night (or the night before) so I dont know what the fuck is up with Far Cry 3 not working.

@emp123, stupid question, but have you changed your Steam location to different servers? Also, in Control Panel, Internet Settings, Connections, LAN Settings, make sure ALL THAT SHIT is unchecked, then try again.

camo_sig2.png
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Have you noticed how we dont get publisher mega packs on the steam sale anymore. Wonder why that is

steam_sig.png
  • FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    What the Hell is your problem DOTA 2!?
    You just keep moving up the top of my queue...

I guess this punishment is what I get?
    For never playing you, and just plain neglect?

Just stay on the bottom, where you belong,
    So I can finish downloading Batman, is that so wrong!?

Firebird on
    steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
    DaringDirk wrote: »

@emp123, stupid question, but have you changed your Steam location to different servers? Also, in Control Panel, Internet Settings, Connections, LAN Settings, make sure ALL THAT SHIT is unchecked, then try again.

Yeah, Ive switched to a couple of servers in the area and it didnt resolve anything. LAN options were all unchecked already.

Thanks for the help though.

I dont think its an internet issue since the images in the store page arent properly displaying, but Im not sure what could have caused it.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Holy fucking shit, Dystopia had an update 10 days ago! I'm going to reinstall and see what's changed and if anybody is still playing it, the official Dystopia Steam group sent out an announcement that they'd be trying to organize games today and tomorrow so hopefully there will still be players.

JtgVX0H.png
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    So I'm a little over 7 hours into Dishonored before I realize that there is a non-lethal stealth takedown besides sleep darts, why do these types of games always make me feel like a terribly blood thirsty person?

Apparently my game downloads are losing data too, since apparently Ive downloaded 113MBs but only have 783KBs of Far Cry 3.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    BigDes wrote: »
    Have you noticed how we dont get publisher mega packs on the steam sale anymore. Wonder why that is

So many people like me have bought the old versions, or piece-mealed their way into outright owning everything from a publisher sans one or two properties we aren't interested in. Us, the classhole core of steam, don't have a need for them , and the casual steam buyer doesn't either.

• DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular

Yeah, Ive switched to a couple of servers in the area and it didnt resolve anything. LAN options were all unchecked already.

I dont think its an internet issue since the images in the store page arent properly displaying, but Im not sure what could have caused it.

Try the TCP loading option for your Steam shortcut: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5623-QOSV-5250

camo_sig2.png
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Did everyone vote Bulletstorm? If not, everyone vote Bulletstorm.

Dick-killing aside, it's some of the most fun I've had with a shooter in a long while. More games need sniper rifles where you steer the bullet, as I find that smooths over a lot of the game's rough spots (see also Singularity). And that's before you get to the really fun weapons, like the thing that shoots exploding bouncy-balls that keep exploding on every bounce, or the explosive flail that saws people in half, or the shotgun that saws people in half, or the drill that pins people to walls and saws them in half, and just vote for it already so I can gift it for five bucks okay geez

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    Hey is a community vote discount the highest discount likely for the sale? I forget.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    signature.png

I hope there's only three entries because everyone else already owns it. Judging by my friends list, that does seem about right!

uyvfOQy.png
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

So many people like me have bought the old versions, or piece-mealed their way into outright owning everything from a publisher sans one or two properties we aren't interested in. Us, the classhole core of steam, don't have a need for them , and the casual steam buyer doesn't either.

Like those THQ packs. Everybody owned everything but two games or something like that.

They also discontinued those cool 10-packs or so, specially awesome for gifts of mass destruction.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    JAEF wrote: »
    Hey is a community vote discount the highest discount likely for the sale? I forget.

It's the same as a flash or daily, so yes.

Stabbity_Style.png
    edited December 2013

Try the TCP loading option for your Steam shortcut: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5623-QOSV-5250

That didnt fix anything either :(

I also just updated (after the issues began) my SSD's firmware, even though Steam and most of my games are on a mechanical drive. Im running the most recent Nvidia drivers, but Im starting to think there may be a correlation between when I installed those drivers and now, but Im also thinking Internet Explorer may have fucked something up (I had to use IE to launch Battlefield 4 as Chrome got all fucking (kinda like Steam actually)).

EDIT: Im gunna give the Nvidia beta drivers a shot.

Im also seeing issues with some things Ive downloaded off the internet, namely downloading Steam from Steam's website gave me a file I couldnt install because its corrupt.

emp123 on
    edited December 2013
    Stolls wrote: »
    Did everyone vote Bulletstorm? If not, everyone vote Bulletstorm.

Dick-killing aside, it's some of the most fun I've had with a shooter in a long while. More games need sniper rifles where you steer the bullet, as I find that smooths over a lot of the game's rough spots (see also Singularity). And that's before you get to the really fun weapons, like the thing that shoots exploding bouncy-balls that keep exploding on every bounce, or the explosive flail that saws people in half, or the shotgun that saws people in half, or the drill that pins people to walls and saws them in half, and just vote for it already so I can gift it for five bucks okay geez

Playing Bullestorm is simply a blast,
    Points for shooting them straight in the ass!

Follow with a rocket, soar to the sky!
    Then sniper them right on the eye!

Combo for points to buy a gun
    Plenty of gore yet silly fun!

I said it once, I'll say it again,
    Everyone should vote for this game.

(Those last two words barely rhymed, you say? I am just not that good at this, okay!?)

Firebird on
    steam_sig.png

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    JAEF wrote: »

If the leak from a couple months ago is to be believed (and hey it was right about everything else so far); daily, flash, and community choice should all be the same amount of discount for each individual game.

• VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    Mudzgut wrote: »
    I haven't been able to keep up with the thread the past two days. The number of posts has exceeded my abilities. Class, class everywhere.

Since it's the holidays, I have a goofy little thing I'm doing...

When this thread hits the page that is equivalent to the day of my birth, I will send at least one gift out randomly.*
    When this thread hits the page that is equivalent to the year (last two digits of course) of my birth, I will send at least one more.*

The Gut Challenge: Can you use the above to figure out my actual birthday, including year? There's a prize in it for you. PM me your guess when the time comes. The first person to guess correctly wins.**

*If you are one of the random recipients, make sure to post fairly quickly as the pages surely won't stop flying by.
    **If you are one of the random recipients, you can win the challenge.
    ***As an assist and because I may want to give out other gifts, I will make sure to notify the recipient if the gift received is a Gut Challenge gift or not.

Just received a Gut Challenge gifting of Legend of Grimrock from @Mudzgut. Thanks!

steam_sig.png
  • ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

Like those THQ packs. Everybody owned everything but two games or something like that.

They also discontinued those cool 10-packs or so, specially awesome for gifts of mass destruction.

Loved the THQ packs, never would have played guerrilla or armageddon if it wasn't for nostalgia telling me I needed red faction 1 and 2 again on another platform. A flashing sign saying deal helped too... Oh god I have a problem!

steam_sig.png
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    Dumb question, but is Spore worth it at that price? That's one game I've been avoiding for half? a decade now.

I know this is late, but I'm late. I have wanted to get this for my girl, and I would have at that price. Dang graveyards. Sleeping during the day. Bah humbug. I know I got her some good stuff, but she wanted this. I'm guessing $15 was the flash sale price? I can't seem to wishlist the package, does anyone know how you know if the package deal goes on sale?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    Night Crew Commander,

Countries across the world have begun reporting unusual attacks by unknown forces. An international response team was formed to assess and end these encroachments. You have been selected to administer this force. Find the enemy, research their tactics and put an end to them.

Remember, we will be watching.

signature.png

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I would really love to see the giant random game packs again. They were a great value during my first sale.

uyvfOQy.png
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular

yeah. I guess as time goes on it makes less amd less sense to offer them. Annoying though. Used to be that the christmas sale was for last years assassins creed

steam_sig.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    so far the steam sale has been about 2d platformish games

just started Risk of Rain. yessssssss. yesss I am pleased.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    LostNinja wrote: »
    So I'm a little over 7 hours into Dishonored before I realize that there is a non-lethal stealth takedown besides sleep darts, why do these types of games always make me feel like a terribly blood thirsty person?

@LostNinja shh, shh, you're doing everything right, just go for broke now—throw some razormined limbs about. The murder supreme run even gets a dramatically superior final level.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I return home from a rare night out with just my lady, no boy in tow, to find that @akajaybay has gifted me the brain twisting shmup Velocity Ultra. Portal in my shmup? Why I don't mind if I do.

@Scratchy has also hit me with Omegalodon, I tried the demo ages ago and had a blast, so I wishlisted this when it showed up on Steam. I will get my kaiju simulation on for sure now. Thanks a lot guys, a great end to a really fun night.

• Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    I keep telling myself

Remember to buy yourself stuff

And nope I completely forgot

• LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    Gosh, haven't posted in awhile. While I side swiped @Big Classy

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    By The Newell, I have been classassinated in The Steam Express while sleeping!

Thanks @Berylline for The ?@#$%! Typing of the #*&D@¡ Dead: #!*&+* Overkill - #&!% Filth DLC! #$%!<3
    Thanks @Drovek for Motor Rock, the game formerly known as Rocks & Roll Racing 3D in mother Russia! Давайте расы товарищ!<3
    Thanks @emutheelf for Dishonored - The Knife of Dunwall! This time is going to be high chaos for everyone! <3

• RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Давайте расы товарищ!<3
    I find it offensive.

steam_sig.png
    Hmm...my steam folder keeps setting itself to read only...I wonder if thats the issue.

I also wonder whats causing that to happen.

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    signature.png

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hmm... so, to follow up on an earlier question... Blade Symphony feels a LOT like jedi knight dueling.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-OUT/outlast

Outlast for 6.80. Think that's the cheapest it's been. Steam key.

A bit tired and a little sleepy,
    I see one more gift from @HyphyKezzy!

A little something to add to my stock,
    Of songs to learn to totally rock!

5wbu.jpg

I feel completely gushed with certain emotion,
    Just know that you'll have my total devotion....

Of a gift incoming in your poetic future,
    Thinking of what to get you is just plain torture!

steam_sig.png

This discussion has been closed.