As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[steam] Winter is Here

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    @emutheelf has retaliated against me sending him Risk of Rain by gifting me Antichamber! Thanks!

• Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    @Berylline is giving new meaning to the term class warfare--I was gifted Bastion the previous evening and there wasn't even anything I could do about it. She was all "BLAM! HERE'S BASTION!" and I was all "WAT!?"

I'm swiftly learning that you don't fuck with Berylline. Just don't do it.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    @Stolls took pity on my status as worst sonic racing player in the world and decided to give me the opportunity to try my hand at dick killing.
    Stolls is a great man and a great many dicks will be killed in his honour...unless I shoot like I drive, in which case there will be problems.

Man, I read that as "Try my hand at dick handling".

I was all: "Whoa now Steam thread. I know we're classy, but I didn't realize that was on the list of 'gifts'."

• ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    Wake up this morning and find out I'll be going on a trip to the moon courtesy of @emutheelf

Thank you much!

steam_sig.png
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    wait, I have to have an account to play FF VIII? I hate accounts in accounts... stop it. Your on steam. go away extra accounts. Cant I save that info? Bah.

Edit:
    And controller doesn't work, I don't know keys. What do I need to do to play, with control, and enjoy as I should? Help steam thread!

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    busfahrer wrote: »
    I haven't checked in like forever. Christmas sale, huh? Who would have thunk? :-)

In case anybody wants to trade Snow Globe cards, I have duplicates of 1, 4 and 6. I need any card that is not 1, 4 or 6. Link to profile should be in my sig.

@busfahrer! I was just thinking about you the other day. Welcome back!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    @Stolls took pity on my status as worst sonic racing player in the world and decided to give me the opportunity to try my hand at dick killing.
    Stolls is a great man and a great many dicks will be killed in his honour...unless I shoot like I drive, in which case there will be problems.

Man, I read that as "Try my hand at dick handling".

I was all: "Whoa now Steam thread. I know we're classy, but I didn't realize that was on the list of 'gifts'."

I don't know, I mean I'm not saying I'd absolutely trade sexual favours for games but I'm also not saying I absolutely wouldn't either.
    It depends on the game I guess.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Just leave the Steam card on the nightstand?

• busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    busfahrer wrote: »
    I haven't checked in like forever. Christmas sale, huh? Who would have thunk? :-)

In case anybody wants to trade Snow Globe cards, I have duplicates of 1, 4 and 6. I need any card that is not 1, 4 or 6. Link to profile should be in my sig.

@busfahrer! I was just thinking about you the other day. Welcome back!

Thanks! :-) Really scary what kind of toll it can take on your free time if you finish uni and get a job ;-)

So, is Bad Rats still the worst game on Steam?

B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Only a few hours left!

signature.png

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Thanks @Stryker43 for Far Cry 3! I played a bit of Blood Dragon and loved it, and I hear good things about the game despite its lack of neon and 80s one-liners.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    wait, I have to have an account to play FF VIII? I hate accounts in accounts... stop it. Your on steam. go away extra accounts. Cant I save that info? Bah.

Edit:
    And controller doesn't work, I don't know keys. What do I need to do to play, with control, and enjoy as I should? Help steam thread!

Yeah, setting up a Squeenix account is annoying, but what kind of controller are you using?

• OatsOats Registered User regular
    More people need Risk of Rain.

It's the purest essence of hardcore Diablo in a 30 minute package that hates you the first dozen or so times you play it.

Then it clicks, brilliantly. And you're able to stop it from punching you in the dong/ovaries.

You find the perfect mix of items and you stop doing so many dumb things and this rough, little gem shines through.

And then you get mobbed by blighted clay men, swear, and start up another run.

I am almost always down for a game or three.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Got an email that one of my cards sold on the community market. Nothing special about that, but the name of the person who bought it was priceless.
    Dear steevl,

An item you listed in the Community Market has been sold to Donald Trump's Hairpiece. Your Steam Wallet has been credited 0.39 USD.

• Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Oats wrote: »

It's the purest essence of hardcore Diablo in a 30 minute package that hates you the first dozen or so times you play it.

Then it clicks, brilliantly. And you're able to stop it from punching you in the dong/ovaries.

You find the perfect mix of items and you stop doing so many dumb things and this rough, little gem shines through.

Oh man, that sounds sexy.

In other news, not only did @an_alt rebuke my gift, he sent me a mystery code! I will have to redeem later, but I am sure it will be awesome, thanks!

Let's see him block this next gift bomb...

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    signature.png

Enjoy folks. It gives out tomorrow 5PM. Is that enough time for people to get in?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • SirMontySirMonty Mount Backlog, Base CampRegistered User regular
    I am so full of joy right now!

Electronic Super Joy, to be precise, which seems to be even better than the usual Christmas joy, because it has way more double jumps in it!

Thank you @Firebird for this nice gift! And curse you for adding another five feet to Mt. Backlog. :)

zyup7oy.png?1

steam_sig.png
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Oats wrote: »

That sounds great, hopefully it comes back up before the end of sale.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Looking for cards both to hit 20 (for a slight increase in boosters that I very rarely see) and to complete at least one Snow Globe badge.
    This sudden desire to complete badges made me idle in some games for the first time last night. Maybe I should have done that sooner, but I didn't want to throw my play times off.

Globes:
    Completed.

Obviously I'd like to complete badges for many of my games, but the badges I'd love to complete more of are Payday 1&2, Borderlands 2, and Magicka.

EDIT: Thanks @Busfahrer for Snow Globe number 1!
    (And for quietly pointing out through your trade that I had an extra 8, not 10, which I don't have. I'm not awake yet.)

EXTRA EDIT: Using strikeout makes the no longer needed 1 look like a 4, so I'll just...remove the numbers.

MORE EDITS: Thanks @Taramoor for Snow Globe number 10!

FINAL EDIT: Success! Snow Globe level 1 AND level 20 account.

Mudzgut on
    steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    So, I somehow haven't learned my lesson about chatting with @HiT BiT, and was all, "Sure, I'd be happy to help!" when he asked for some opinions on adventure games, of which he noticed I was a big fan. I did start getting more suspicious when he asked about games that I did not own, and rightly so, since he soon handed over the codes for Still Life 1 and 2, and Post Mortem. Thank you, you classy individual! <3

• HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    This morning I was woken by the song of the @Firebird.

firebirdfarcry_zpsd7a41ff2.jpg

How could I possibly want more,
    When given a whole island to explore?

But if when it's done I still have an itch,
    I'm screwed, I've beat Blood Dragon, first world life's a bitch.

Thanks man!

steam_sig.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Why is everyone speaking in rhyme?
    I feel like I missed collaborative poem time.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    People you can't trust @emutheelf , that sneaky classassin. For your own safety, do not let him approach your backlog!
    He promised there wouldn't be any retaliation. Then, after that empty promise, he hits me with a copy of the The Brigmore Witches!
    <3

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Since I can't send trade offers. I have duplicates of 4, 5, 6, 8,and 10, and I'm missing 7 and 9.

• IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Machismo wrote: »
    signature.png

Enjoy folks. It gives out tomorrow 5PM. Is that enough time for people to get in?

There are no entries for this as of right now, but dang folks, if you don't have this, enter the giveaway. It is an incredible game if you like any of the following:

-Strategy
    -History
    -Medieval Lore
    -Role Playing
    -A Song of Ice and Fire
    -Forcing people to marry people
    -Starting a War
    -Ending a War
    -Taking over Europe
    -Settlers of Catan
    -Getting your first born assassinated because he's a dummy and the next in line would be a much better king
    -Hiding in Norway because everybody else is killing each other
    -Learning about history
    -Learning in general
    -Pulling yourself up by the boot straps
    -Single games that could last days
    -Practicing micro or macro management

I could go on and on and get more redundant, but really, what a good game. I only wish I had more time to play it.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Maybe you guys can help.

For weeks now, I've had 1 unread pending trade offer in Steam.

If I try to check it, there's nothing there. Yet, I still get the little green envelope with the 1 beside it. All the time. It's maddening.

Any ideas? If I log in to the website client, I see no pending items.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    So apparently steam gifts is not mobile friendly?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    So @KoopahTroopah is in Manhattan without a computer but was still armed with his phone and the Steam App and managed to drop a copy of Final Fantasy Pokey Hair Big Sword on me. Thanks! I haven't played that since college which is long ago enough to make me feel old.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    So has any game topped that Train game with all the DLC in terms of cost? Cause I'm looking at the Rocksmith DLC and it's clearly death by a thousand cuts. A few bucks here and there and oh no, you've bought several hundred dollars worth of songs.

steam_sig.png

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    yAzMV1t.jpg

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular

It is steam you should check,
    For a gift may have been left.
    This is a very bad rhyme,
    But I just don't have the time.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Seeing so many copies of Far Cry 3 fly around makes me all warm inside. Aside from the plot getting more and more aggressively stupid as you go along, the gameplay is a pure shot of fun right into a vein. Exploring, finding bits, tripping balls on mushrooms, crafting wallets from tapir skins, the first time you take over a base without tripping an alarm, climbing towers and unlocking the map, upgrading guns, etc. etc.

Beware of crocodiles though. And hang gliders. It's a toss up which is more deadly.

Huge thanks again to @Big Classy who gifted it to me and a lot of other folks last year. A regular Johnny Far Cry Seed that one. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • RoyceX7RoyceX7 Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    DyasAlure wrote: »

Edit:

Yeah, setting up a Squeenix account is annoying, but what kind of controller are you using?

Really hate this kind of excessive DRM on a classic game...don't they know this is indeed discouraging the sales.

Steam: RoyceX7

steam_sig.png
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    In fact, can someone please send me a trade request? Doesn't matter what it is, I just want to see if it will refresh the notifications on my account.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    On the topic of cleaning up my inventory...

signature.png

Final Reminder!

Also this probably won't get delivered until late tonight or early tomorrow because I will actually be on a plane most of today.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    Thanks @Xenogear_0001 for Fly'N!

xUVqJF0.png

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Okay, my Steam is still being a piece of shit and doing this. Why

Okay, so I decided to opt into the beta client to see if it would resolve my issues...but now Im back to not being able to download the Steam client because it keeps losing progress and eventually tells me that Steam needs to be connected to the internet. I know this isnt an internet issue as Im not losing connection to anything else and Ive tried both my home wifi and tethering my phone to my computer and the issue persists. Im super tempted to just nuke this install from orbit and start over, but Im pretty lazy and my Windows 7 disc is like 500 miles away.

I just want Steam to work :(

EDIT: And according to my phone, I downloaded 270MBs in an attempt to download the 89 required for the Steam update.

So my tale of woe continues:
    I cant download games. Well, I can, but they dont. I bought Far Cry 3 and so far its downloaded 9kbs. Ive run CCleaner, Ive manually deleted references to Steam in regedit, Ive tried running in compatibility mode, Ive tried restarting, and opting into the beta...I dont know what else to do :(

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I downloaded Papers Please last night (or the night before) so I dont know what the fuck is up with Far Cry 3 not working.

@emp123, stupid question, but have you changed your Steam location to different servers? Also, in Control Panel, Internet Settings, Connections, LAN Settings, make sure ALL THAT SHIT is unchecked, then try again.

Yeah, Ive switched to a couple of servers in the area and it didnt resolve anything. LAN options were all unchecked already.

Thanks for the help though.

I dont think its an internet issue since the images in the store page arent properly displaying, but Im not sure what could have caused it.

Try the TCP loading option for your Steam shortcut: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5623-QOSV-5250

That didnt fix anything either :(

I also just updated (after the issues began) my SSD's firmware, even though Steam and most of my games are on a mechanical drive. Im running the most recent Nvidia drivers, but Im starting to think there may be a correlation between when I installed those drivers and now, but Im also thinking Internet Explorer may have fucked something up (I had to use IE to launch Battlefield 4 as Chrome got all fucking (kinda like Steam actually)).

EDIT: Im gunna give the Nvidia beta drivers a shot.

Im also seeing issues with some things Ive downloaded off the internet, namely downloading Steam from Steam's website gave me a file I couldnt install because its corrupt.
    @DaringDirk

My Steam folder continues to set itself to read-only, but Ive determined whatever my issue is it only applies to Windows 7 - I have a Windows 8 partition and just installed Steam no problem and its currently downloading both Far Cry 3 and Bioshock. Unfortunately its the Windows 8 RC and I have zero desire to boot into it every time I want to play a new game.

While Windows 7 virus scan and Malware whatever both didnt find anything when I was in Windows 7, Im running them in Windows 8 just to be sure.

I should probably spin this off into its own H/A thread.

edited December 2013
    Figgy wrote: »
    In fact, can someone please send me a trade request? Doesn't matter what it is, I just want to see if it will refresh the notifications on my account.

Thanks @SciencePiggy @EvilMonkey for humouring me there. Was able to jog out the stuck trade. If that happens to anyone else, have someone send you a specific trade offer, then open it, and you should see the old trade offer that's stuck there too, and you can decline it.

Figgy on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    signature.png

Open to the Penny Arcade group for people who have run a steamgifts promotion in the past :) Ends 9pm on Christmas Eve.

Bumping for @Jragghen who is exiled on his phone for a week. (Jragghen, best way to do this from a phone is to go through your PA profile page to your own "Posts." Makes it easy to track back to a giveaway and quote it from there. You just have the be sure to manually go back to the end of the thread or else it thinks you are "unread" from that older point which can be unnerving when you next go back to see +300 more unrread posts than there really are. ;) )

Thanks, man, but the FORUMS themselves aren't actually the issue. My parents have a computer just fine (I'm on it right now :P) and the computer actually has Steam installed on it. I just can't send/recieve trade offers for some inane reason, and I can do so from my phone, but I can't DRAG cards to make the trades myself, an.....wait a sec.

dum de doo. Leaving this thing up while Steam update is installing.

SUCCESS.

Okay, I can do everything from here. False alarm.

*goes to send some trades*

Okay, my Steam is still being a piece of shit and doing this. Why

Okay, so I decided to opt into the beta client to see if it would resolve my issues...but now Im back to not being able to download the Steam client because it keeps losing progress and eventually tells me that Steam needs to be connected to the internet. I know this isnt an internet issue as Im not losing connection to anything else and Ive tried both my home wifi and tethering my phone to my computer and the issue persists. Im super tempted to just nuke this install from orbit and start over, but Im pretty lazy and my Windows 7 disc is like 500 miles away.

I just want Steam to work :(

EDIT: And according to my phone, I downloaded 270MBs in an attempt to download the 89 required for the Steam update.

So my tale of woe continues:
    I cant download games. Well, I can, but they dont. I bought Far Cry 3 and so far its downloaded 9kbs. Ive run CCleaner, Ive manually deleted references to Steam in regedit, Ive tried running in compatibility mode, Ive tried restarting, and opting into the beta...I dont know what else to do :(

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I downloaded Papers Please last night (or the night before) so I dont know what the fuck is up with Far Cry 3 not working.

@emp123, stupid question, but have you changed your Steam location to different servers? Also, in Control Panel, Internet Settings, Connections, LAN Settings, make sure ALL THAT SHIT is unchecked, then try again.

Yeah, Ive switched to a couple of servers in the area and it didnt resolve anything. LAN options were all unchecked already.

Thanks for the help though.

I dont think its an internet issue since the images in the store page arent properly displaying, but Im not sure what could have caused it.

Try the TCP loading option for your Steam shortcut: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5623-QOSV-5250

That didnt fix anything either :(

I also just updated (after the issues began) my SSD's firmware, even though Steam and most of my games are on a mechanical drive. Im running the most recent Nvidia drivers, but Im starting to think there may be a correlation between when I installed those drivers and now, but Im also thinking Internet Explorer may have fucked something up (I had to use IE to launch Battlefield 4 as Chrome got all fucking (kinda like Steam actually)).

EDIT: Im gunna give the Nvidia beta drivers a shot.

Im also seeing issues with some things Ive downloaded off the internet, namely downloading Steam from Steam's website gave me a file I couldnt install because its corrupt.
    @DaringDirk

My Steam folder continues to set itself to read-only, but Ive determined whatever my issue is it only applies to Windows 7 - I have a Windows 8 partition and just installed Steam no problem and its currently downloading both Far Cry 3 and Bioshock. Unfortunately its the Windows 8 RC and I have zero desire to boot into it every time I want to play a new game.

While Windows 7 virus scan and Malware whatever both didnt find anything when I was in Windows 7, Im running them in Windows 8 just to be sure.

I should probably spin this off into its own H/A thread.

Is your Steam stuff in a folder like My Documents, or something?

steam_sig.png

This discussion has been closed.