As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Requesting a comic critique (HijiNKS Ensue)

• hijinksensuehijinksensue Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    2 new comics. Keeping up the 2 a week schedule has been brutal and left little time for reading forums and such. I got a couple of high profile links last week that sent a ton of traffic to the site. 20k+ visitors in the last 30 days. I feel like good things are on the horizon. Thanks for all the feedback and support.

2007-09-03-nbc-itunes.jpg

2007-09-06-teh-internets-tay-zonday-lol-cats-myspace.jpg

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I like how the Wikipedia joke doesn't even have words and just describes itself. Good stuff. I don't really get the Youtube joke though. Also, the song titles made me laugh.

I should make my way down to Dallas so that we can hang out before you get all rich and famous and snobby. You know, like Tycho and Gabe.

anable on
    edited September 2007
    anable wrote: »
    I like how the Wikipedia joke doesn't even have words and just describes itself. Good stuff. I don't really get the Youtube joke though. Also, the song titles made me laugh.

I should make my way down to Dallas so that we can hang out before you get all rich and famous and snobby. You know, like Tycho and Gabe.
    GO TO YOUTUBE NOW! Search for "Tay Zonday" and/ or "Chocolate Rain." GO GO GO!

I linked it in my most recent post as well. After you see it, take a minute, let it sink in. Then we'll talk. You will be forever changed.

Rich and famous, eh? We'll see.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2007
    anable wrote: »

GO TO YOUTUBE NOW! Search for "Tay Zonday" and/ or "Chocolate Rain." GO GO GO!

I linked it in my most recent post as well. After you see it, take a minute, let it sink in. Then we'll talk. You will be forever changed.

Rich and famous, eh? We'll see.

Unfortunately I only have the internets at work right now and thus can not browse the tubes of you.

Rich and famous and with your own convention in Dallas called HijaX. I can be your Khoo, only without the degree or expertise, but I promise not to sell your rights to a shifty eskimo.

anable on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh man, Reasons I love the Internet is an all around good show. Thumbs up.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ahahaha. The Wikipedia bit is so true.

mully on
  • CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    homage to Ryan North?

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    New comics are great. Wikipedia panel is A+.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Wikipedia panel needs to be a t-shirt.

MKR on
    edited September 2007
    @Mars Balderdash
    Thanks! I hope to actually do a follow up and then do one every couple of months or so.

@mully
    General Washing DOES ride utahraptors into battle against the robot legions. I read it on the internet.

@Crowleston
    Absolutely! Im a big Dinosaur Comics fan. I plan on doing a full DC tribute comic soon.

@Hewn and
    @ MKR

You can DL the large version of that panel here:

http://hijinksensue.com/wp-content/uploads/misc/2007-09-06-wikipedia-poster.jpg

tShirt's not a bad idea.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Do you resemble any one of your characters, or is it like Gabe and Tycho's comic counterparts?

I'll be living in Austin next year, and I was wondering if I should look for the beardy bald guy with the black shirt or something.

Godfather on
    edited September 2007
    Godfather wrote: »
    Do you resemble any one of your characters, or is it like Gabe and Tycho's comic counterparts?

I'll be living in Austin next year, and I was wondering if I should look for the beardy bald guy with the black shirt or something.
    The characters in the comic are all real people and fairly accurate caricatures with a few embellishments. Read my about page for a little more BG on each person. I'm Joel (in real life and the comic). About half of the comics come from conversations that I have over IM with the other two guys.

I live in Dallas but have family in Austin. Its a nice place. Its like the San Francisco of Texas (if that makes any sense). Everyone is an artist (unemployed) and everyone is in a band (stoned).

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CrazyfoolCrazyfool Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have to say, this is definitely one of the better webcomics I've come across. Good art, good jokes, good writing, just good all around! The only thing I can say is work on your poses, some of them look stiff and artificial. (which is something I have CONSTANT trouble with, so I know exactly how it is) Otherwise it's damn good. Bookmark'd for future reading, keep it up!

Crazyfool on
    Floyd86.png
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    This is one of those comics that sets the bar.

edited September 2007
    Crazyfool wrote: »
    I have to say, this is definitely one of the better webcomics I've come across. Good art, good jokes, good writing, just good all around! The only thing I can say is work on your poses, some of them look stiff and artificial. (which is something I have CONSTANT trouble with, so I know exactly how it is) Otherwise it's damn good. Bookmark'd for future reading, keep it up!

Man, the poses thing drives me nuts. Usually my characters arent "doing" anything so its hard to make them look like they are. I really tried to fix that with the hobo strip. Definitely something I am struggling with/ working on.

Thanks!

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2007
    This is one of those comics that sets the bar.
    Too kind. I really appreciate that.

Here's the newest comic:

2007-09-10-$200-iphone-rebate.jpg

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My oh my, the art is getting better with every episode (even though it's a bit of a shame that Steve Jobs looks better drawn than your own characters surprised.gif )

Mayday on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That's what I call Simpsons syndrome. People tend to have to draw "guest" characters or celebrities differently/with more detail so that they're remotely recognisable.

Oh, and great comic, particularly frame two :P I'd suggest an alternate comic where he just throws Jobs out of the window. And laughs insanely. Just because.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited September 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »
    That's what I call Simpsons syndrome. People tend to have to draw "guest" characters or celebrities differently/with more detail so that they're remotely recognisable.

Oh, and great comic, particularly frame two :P I'd suggest an alternate comic where he just throws Jobs out of the window. And laughs insanely. Just because.
    @Mayday

Edcrab is exactly right. I've sort of developed two styles for the comic. One for my characters (simple and cartoony) and another for the celeb caricatures (more refined and recognizeable). "Simpson's Sydrome" is an excellent way to put it.

The celebs also take me about 5 times longer to draw so I try to keep them to a minimum.

Thanks for the feedback!

@Edcrab

Thanks! That window took longer than the entire rest of the comic. Im glad it turned out alright.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You have one thing over Gabe- your celebrities are recognizable. :wink:

I don't mean to diss his style, but man I'd never know he was drawing Reggie if I didn't read the newspost.

DarkPrimus on
    edited September 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    You have one thing over Gabe- your celebrities are recognizable. :wink:

I don't mean to diss his style, but man I'd never know he was drawing Reggie if I didn't read the newspost.
    I dont think its a style issue. I think he just doesnt try very hard. I dont mean that in a disparaging way, but the rate at which they crank out comics doesnt leave much time for a spot on caricature. The Battlestar and Lost strips each have 4 to 5 celebs and those took me days to get right (or close to right).

I really dont have time for it either, but I hoped that it would be something that sets my comics apart from the thousands of others out there.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I thought how Gabe drew Reggie was pretty spot-on, personally.

Great new comic though, but one thing I've noticed about your stuff lately is that your linework has started to change - and not for the better, in my opinion. Your linework started off really thin with no variation, then got much better (perfect, actually) within a few comics and now they're way too thick.

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
    edited September 2007
    I thought how Gabe drew Reggie was pretty spot-on, personally.

Great new comic though, but one thing I've noticed about your stuff lately is that your linework has started to change - and not for the better, in my opinion. Your linework started off really thin with no variation, then got much better (perfect, actually) within a few comics and now they're way too thick.
    I actually agree that the Reggie was pretty good. Some of his previous celebs (Wil Wheaton for instance) were just generic dudes.

Which comics do you think had the best linework. Im still trying to decide how I want to do the lines so Im playing with different techniques as I go.

Thanks for the feedback.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mr. H.G. BlobMr. H.G. Blob Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Gabe's drawings of Peter Moore and Reggie Fils-Aime are pretty good to me. The Peter Moore one was great because that strip was great though.

"How shitty is your system and all its games?"

"So good."

Ha. Anyway, the new strip is good, I think you got a pretty good text to laffz balance in this one.

Edit: lulz. Why did I call Peter Moore Rick Moore? Edit'd!

Mr. H.G. Blob on
    edited September 2007
    Gabe's drawings of Peter Moore and Reggie Fils-Aime are pretty good to me. The Peter Moore one was great because that strip was great though.

"How shitty is your system and all its games?"

"So good."

Ha. Anyway, the new strip is good, I think you got a pretty good text to laffz balance in this one.

Edit: lulz. Why did I call Peter Moore Rick Moore? Edit'd!
    Peter...Rick.

Somehow I knew what you were talking about. I agree that Gabe can do a good celeb caricature when he wants to. I just don't think he always wants to.

I'm glad you thought the comic was well balanced. Ive been playing with less text to no text recently since, as many here have suggested, it can help me to become a stronger writer.

Thanks!

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2007
    Just finished this one. So so so so so tired.

So Tired.

2007-09-13-westwood-college.jpg

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Is that Blender I see?

MKR on
    edited September 2007
    Sure doesn't look like it.

Man, I don't want to be a modeler anymore sad.gif

Mayday on
    edited September 2007
    Haha. I like the final boss mug. I hope that's real somewhere.

anable on
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    All the game design school commercials have been such a joke, it's due time somebody stuck it to them via comic.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Looks like Maya.

And yeah, that comic is about right.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I can almost hear the "dun-dun-DUHN" in that last panel.

DarkPrimus on
    edited September 2007
    Oh man I love the blonde in the first panel! You can just *tell* he's jammin all over that controller like a retarded ape.

I really hate those commercials mostly because you can tell that it's the Drama department pulling ads for the Game Development department. And something about that just rubs me the wrong way.

edited September 2007
    I feel obliged to point out the horrible anatomy problems with the whores... can't the company afford better ones?

Mayday on
  • CatnipCatCatnipCat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm bugged by the no diggity and illin', especially the latter since misused slang by corny white people annoys me. It feels like they just mess with the flow of speech in the comic without adding anything.

CatnipCat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mr. H.G. BlobMr. H.G. Blob Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The "don't forget to tighten up the graphics" part made me lol. I fucking hate that commercial.

Should be "laid" though, not "layed". Dunno if you care to go back and fix it but yeah.

Mr. H.G. Blob on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The linework in this latest on is where it's at. Good job, and I totally relate... had a 16 hour day re-touching hi-res textures.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    edited September 2007
    WHOA! Lots of comments in the last 24 hours. The Forum is definitely not notifying me when I get comments even though I have that setting checked.

@MKR
    It was supposed to be 3DS Max but I might have used the wrong screen grab.

@Mayday
    Never give up! Never Surrender!

@Anable
    I plan to make it. Cafepress should be able to pull it off.

@Hewn
    I showed this to an online friend and it turns out he works for a competing game school. He thought it was funny, though.

@Golden Yak
    Not being a modeler, I couldnt identify the software. I just hoped it would get the point across. Glad you liked the comic!

@Dark Primus
    Thanks for linking me on that forum. I saw a bit of traffic come from that post yesterday. Youre a dallas local?

@Mars Balderdash
    Are you sure you love the blond in the first panel and not the one in the 2nd panel? She is in a Hooters-type outfit. What's not to love?

@Mayday
    HAH! This was the first time I had to draw girls in a VERY long time. Medical science would be astounded by their skeletons.

@CatnipCat

Sorry that bugged you but that was sort of the point. The idea is that the people making the commercial would want to appeal to "hip, urban" youth, but miss the mark entirely.

@Mr. H.G. Blob

Im going to introduce a character called "Grammorz" or something like that. He will be my arch nemesis and constantly thwart my plan. There are a few errors in the comic so it does warrant a once over to clean them all up.

@Tonkka
    Glad the linework is shaping up. Im still battling with it but I think Im getting closer to a style that I can live with.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That's 3dsmax, yeah :D And your "it's" in the iPhone comic should be its. Buy The Elements of Style before you write anything else with an apostrophe.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited September 2007
    That's 3dsmax, yeah :D And your "it's" in the iPhone comic should be its. Buy The Elements of Style before you write anything else with an apostrophe.
    Thanks for the clarification. The apostrophe is a harsh mistress with many a feminine wile.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]