As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3/360, they both match my hi-fi now, which do I buy?

HedwirezHedwirez Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
I just got a new job and can finally afford to buy a Playstation 3. However having seen the new Xbox 360 elites I am tempted by its new image (yes, I am that shallow), enhanced by the lack of $800 price tag due to me living in the UK.

Having been out of the loop/playing WoW for quite a while I was thinking it would be a good idea to get some advice before spending my hard earned cash.

I have a decent PC and as such anything that comes out on PC I can easily miss out on console, however I want to have access to as much quality stuff as possible. On the Xbox both Mass Effect and Halo both look good although I have never played the previous Halos and to be honest never missed them, Bioshock is something that fills that void singleplayer, multiplayer I am not so sure.

On the PS3 both Heavenly Sword and Metal Gear look awesome. It's other exclusive Assasin's Creed is no longer exclusive and I am assuming GTA will be available in some form for every system imagniable including my old gameboy.

Does anyone have input on games I have missed out, big PS3 titles that will replace Halo, I'vs seen Haze but not so sure about it being for me. I really enjoy games with strong storylines or stylistic gameplay/artwork (things like shadow of the colossus) and am less interested in sport releases with the possible exception of skate which looks amazing or possibly Guitar hero (power slide may not be in the olympics yet but they should be).

Also information on things like how good the online functionality is and their extra abilities. Blu-Ray is cool but I don't see how much use it will really be. I will do my own research but I am sure you know things I'll have missed.

Hedwirez on

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd go with the 360 right now. I'd wait on the Playstation 3 for about a year. The 360 has more games and more developer support.

Also, I really wouldn't get too excited for Heavenly Sword. It's a very short game (can actually be beaten within three to five hours) for the price-tag. The combat is also painful, literally. It's just a button masher to the point of hurting your hands. It also takes a hundred hits just to drop one normal enemy, which only exasperates the pain aspect, and then you get to those hat wearing bastards who block every move. The combat just wasn't fun; it was a chore.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Apparently, Heavenly Sword is really short, like six hours total short. The PS3 pretty much has no exclusive AAA games at this point. There are games coming out next year that sound like they could be better, but if Heavenly Sword and Lair are any indication, don't count on them to be good just because the PS3 desperately needs them to be.

I don't have either and don't plan to get either any time soon, but a 360 is probably your best bet.

jothki on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    GTAIV will be available on both 360 and PS3 at the same time, with the 360 verison having bonus content over Live (not sure if the PS3 is getting different stuff, but the 360's content is exclusive). skate is multiplatform, gets to the 360 about a week sooner, Rock Band is the one you want over Guitar Hero, and that's multiplatform, although the 360 version is wired controllers, rather than wireless for the PS3.

Then there's Mass Effect to consider.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • HedwirezHedwirez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    How much does live cost, I really have no concept of it. Am pretty happy to give up WoW to pay for it, I dont have the time to play WoW anymore but I can't stand micropayments of the "pay $4 to send your friend a picture of something that cost's less than $4 in real life" they seem to have popularised on things like facebook. I mean I could actually send my friend a picture of a beer for the same price invite him round for a beer.

Seem's like everyone is swaying towards the Xbox. Are there any predicted price drops for the PS3 next year and what are the games that sound better for next year?

Hedwirez on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Live isn't clogged with microtransactions yet, though some games (such as EA games, notoriously) are starting to charge money for stuff like cheat codes now.

As far as 2008 on the PS3? There's Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy 13, but those are the only really big ones right now. Sucker Punch (the Sly Cooper guys) are working on a superhero game, and there's Killzone 2, which may or may not be the next Halo (the original most certainly was not). That's really all we know, but to be fair we don't know much about 2008 for any of the big three yet.

And don't hold your breath on a price drop, since all indications are that the upper execs are panicing and trying to make the PS3 make a profit at any cost, namely by not dropping the price.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Live costs about $50 a year. Not too big a deal.

Definitely go for the 360. It has better games now, and the way things are going it seems like it will continue to have better games. The PS3 is never going to have the line-up of exclusives that the PS2 did because it's dead last in marketshare and unlikely to ever recover at this point. Obviously you'll always be missing out on something if you don't own them all, but I think you'll be better off with the 360 in the long run.
    darleysam wrote: »
    Rock Band is the one you want over Guitar Hero, and that's multiplatform, although the 360 version is wired controllers, rather than wireless for the PS3.
    Huh? Since when?

Zek on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    for the 360, 2008 has Alan Wake, Fable 2 and Halo Wars.. probably a few others i can't think of right now, too.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • KwornKworn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    360 - Best games out there Period

Kworn on
    edited September 2007
    So no votes at all for the PS3? I thought it would be slightly more balanced than that.

I used to love Final Fantasy but havn't bothered with them as much recently, I barely played 12 mainly due to my retarded playstation 2 only working once every 50 attempts. Seems I would be only be buying the PS3 for metal gear.

Hedwirez on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Get the 360, it has the best games at the moment, and the immediate future.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    360. The fall/holiday lineup this year is just sick and you'll have a great library of excellent titles with some triple-A exclusives. The PS3 just doesn't have the awesome exclusives yet, and the system still has no killer app. Plus, a MGS4 port is likely to hit the 360 a few months after it comes out for the PS3 (please note the likely--I'm not looking to derail this into a dreaded MGS4 360 "yes it is/no it isn't" squabble).

Xbox Live is a solid, affordable service. If you really enjoy multiplayer, it's a must, and Arcade has some fun retro titles plus some extra, snazzy bells and whistles.

Finally, you'll have a pretty solid library of cheaper games on top of all the great titles coming up through the end of this year. There are some fun Platinum Hits titles and older games that you'll be able to find on the cheap: stuff like Fight Night Round 3, Dead Rising, Condemned, CoD 2 & 3, Project Gotham, etc.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • spectraspectra Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm going to be THAT GUY, but seriously, just look at the games for each that you are interested in and then make a decision based on what games you want. I have a decent gaming pc and pretty much any game that I want for the 360 I will eventually get for PC. Even without the good pc, there isn't anything I personally would truly miss by not picking up a 360. So I went with a PS3 and have been happy with my purchase, especially since Warhawk is like the most fun I've had online in like forever.

Here's a list of games for the PS3 that I own and enjoy:

Resistance*
    Motorstorm*
    Armored Core 4
    NBA Street Homecourt
    Ninja Gaiden Simga*
    LAIR* (I know Factor 4.9, LOL, dragon curse, haunted development, etc. but I still enjoyed it)
    WARHAWK* (As i said earlier, awesome multiplayer experience)

*games that are PS3 exclusive (not really NGS if you count the xbox versions but whatever)

Games that I'm looking forward to:

Heavenly Sword
    Uncharted
    Ratchet and Clank
    Killzone 2
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Folklore
    Time Crisis 4

So, theres the PS3 side of the argument, but really do your own research on the games and buy whatever you think will provide you with the most entertainment.

spectra on
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    NexusSix wrote: »
    360. The fall/holiday lineup this year is just sick and you'll have a great library of excellent titles with some triple-A exclusives. The PS3 just doesn't have the awesome exclusives yet, and the system still has no killer app. Plus, a MGS4 port is likely to hit the 360 a few months after it comes out for the PS3 (please note the likely--I'm not looking to derail this into a dreaded MGS4 360 "yes it is/no it isn't" squabble).

Xbox Live is a solid, affordable service. If you really enjoy multiplayer, it's a must, and Arcade has some fun retro titles plus some extra, snazzy bells and whistles.

Finally, you'll have a pretty solid library of cheaper games on top of all the great titles coming up through the end of this year. There are some fun Platinum Hits titles and older games that you'll be able to find on the cheap: stuff like Fight Night Round 3, Dead Rising, Condemned, CoD 2 & 3, Project Gotham, etc.

I agree with this, and even if he doesn't want online play, he cans till stick with the free silver account for now.

PS3 just doesn't have anything worth buying it for right now save future games, unless you absolutely LOVE one of the current games and detest or are indifferent about anything coming to or out on the 360.

For the immediate future, the 360 has the killer lineup. I'd say go for the "wii60" combo if you want the best of what is available and coming up. Gamecube+xbox compatibility as well as the current and upcoming titles for the current systems.

PS3 can wait. If it thrives and survives to a point of becoming leader again, it will have the games and be cheaper to pick up in the future. If it crashes and burns or keeps lagging behind in sales to a point of lacking any real support, you can pick it up at bargain bin prices in the future with the best games it has.

EclecticGroove on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'll toss my hat in to the 360 camp here. I hate to use the cliche, but the PS3 still stands for PotentialStation 3 at this point. There are simply no killer apps on the PS3 and the ones that are supposed to be killer and "so awesome" are turning out very disappointing (Lair and Heavenly Sword come to mind).

Trust me, every time I have 600 bucks to blow, I TRY and find excuses to buy a PS3, but I can never justify it.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    PS3 doesn't have a 30% chance of failing out of the box until all are replaced with the new design. I'd say thats a pretty big bonus right there.

The games depend on which you want but saying PS3 has nothing worth buying is just full of all kinds of bullshit. Resistance is a really good game for a start and the future lineup is not shabby at all. Oh and online play doesn't cost you $50/£30 a year on top and a wireless adapter if needed. And a HDDVD addon to take advantage of your hi-fi setup. Or play and charge kit to retain the use of your controller beyond the batterys energy span.

DarkWarrior on
  • robcat09robcat09 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Guys, did you even read his orignal post? He is a PC gamer with an adequate PC, and all of the 360 games you mention either are coming out for the PC simultaneously or will be ported later, for a cheaper price. Yes, even Mass Effect will be on PC and will be cheaper. Unless you need to play that new release THE MOMENT it is out, it is better to wait for these games to come to the PC, at least for the OP.

Here's a different spin on things:
    Get a PS3. It has good games. You know, not all games NEED to be AAA in order to be good and fun. There are a ton of downloadable fun games off of the PS3 network right now, with a lot more coming in the future.
    Rent games, have fun, and buy the ones that you will really sink your teeth into. There's no need to get anxious because the PS3 doesn't have a long list of AAA released during its first year.

I see the combination of a 360 and an adequate PC to be ridiculously redundant. Why I would purchase Bioshock for $60 and use a 360 controller when I could get it for $40 and use my keyboard and mouse is beyond comprehension. If you like the controller, get it for the PC.

In my opinion, the amount of games that will be on PS3 that you will not find also on the PC is much greater than the amount of games on the 360 that will NOT come to the PC.

I have a PS3/PC combo, which makes the most sense to me.

robcat09 on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I love you DarkWarrior.

I really do.

And I'm not even going to respond to what you wrote because I can not match the glory which is every post you make regarding the PS3.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Dis_quietDis_quiet Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've been having this debate, myself. Personally, I'm leaning toward PS3, but that's mainly because some of the franchises I love are going to be on the PS3 (FF, Ratchet & Clank), plus I have a pretty large catalog of PS2 games, but the good ol' PS2 I bought at launch finally died about a month ago.

Speaking of dying consoles, I don't know if the 360 red ring of death figures into your equation. I know, Microsoft has extended the warranty on all 360s, but if one shits the bed on you, it still could be a big pain.

Dis_quiet on
    edited September 2007
    How come the PS3 fanbois always talk about how awesome their games are....when they aren't? And how come they can never list ANYTHING but Resistance as being decent? When in fact, Resistance isn't even that good, it's just another rehashed FPS where better experiences are available on both the PC and the 360.

It's okay that the PS3 has ONE AAA title in it's first year? And it's okay that the AAA titles that were supposed to be so hawt and awesome turned out to be turds? This is actually a good situation for some people? Mind blowing to me, honestly. Again, I WANT to WANT a PS3, but it's beyond my logical brain to understand how people would shell out 600+ dollars for that hunk of uselessness right now.

Also, the reason you get a 360 version of a game instead of the PC version = big TV, full surround sound system, comfy couch vs. smaller monitor, 7.1 shit speakers (because no one spends thousands of dollars on their PC speaker setup) and a computer chair.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    robcat09 wrote: »
    Guys, did you even read his orignal post? He is a PC gamer with an adequate PC, and all of the 360 games you mention either are coming out for the PC simultaneously or will be ported later, for a cheaper price. Yes, even Mass Effect will be on PC and will be cheaper. Unless you need to play that new release THE MOMENT it is out, it is better to wait for these games to come to the PC, at least for the OP.

Here's a different spin on things:
    Get a PS3. It has good games. You know, not all games NEED to be AAA in order to be good and fun. There are a ton of downloadable fun games off of the PS3 network right now, with a lot more coming in the future.
    Rent games, have fun, and buy the ones that you will really sink your teeth into. There's no need to get anxious because the PS3 doesn't have a long list of AAA released during its first year.

I see the combination of a 360 and an adequate PC to be ridiculously redundant. Why I would purchase Bioshock for $60 and use a 360 controller when I could get it for $40 and use my keyboard and mouse is beyond comprehension. If you like the controller, get it for the PC.

In my opinion, the amount of games that will be on PS3 that you will not find also on the PC is much greater than the amount of games on the 360 that will NOT come to the PC.

I have a PS3/PC combo, which makes the most sense to me.

And with that explanation (which was a good one) I'd say hold off from buying the PS3 until later on. Reason? Sony likes to give you new models every once in a while, which include a larger hard drive and such...

There's chance they wont release another "upgraded" model until later on, but you never know anymore. This is why I can't see myself buying the system. Hasn't it gone through 3 or 4 iterations of the PS3? It's not even been a year yet.

I guess you get that if you're an early adopter, but my Wii is the same as any other Wii that is on the shelves right now. (I'm sure if you give it time...)

urahonky on
    edited September 2007
    PS3 doesn't have a 30% chance of failing out of the box until all are replaced with the new design. I'd say thats a pretty big bonus right there.

The games depend on which you want but saying PS3 has nothing worth buying is just full of all kinds of bullshit. Resistance is a really good game for a start and the future lineup is not shabby at all. Oh and online play doesn't cost you $50/£30 a year on top and a wireless adapter if needed. And a HDDVD addon to take advantage of your hi-fi setup. Or play and charge kit to retain the use of your controller beyond the batterys energy span.

Resistance is good "for a start" maybe. but would you have based your purchase of the system on it? I doubt it. Most of the "must have" titles that will be coming out for it are a few months away or longer. So right now, I will stand by it having nothing worth buying it for at the moment.

The rest are just nitpicky issues about the system. The accessories not included are not required to play games, neither is the Live gold account. The ps3 doesn't come with an HDMI cable, big whup... I'm not going to list things you may or may not need as a major pit fall on a system.
    The PS2, like the 360, was plagued with numerous issues and hardware revisions in the beginning, and look at how it turned out, at the least MS is owning up to it and putting forth an amicable effort to get it resolved.

The ps3 is a fairly good piece of hardware, don't get me wrong, it's just not the "OMGWTF" difference some people thought it would be, and Sony just isn't doing a very good job of getting it into a position to storm the market.

So, I reiterate, unless there is something on the PS3 that is coming out shortly, or out already that you MUST have, and the 360 just doesn't do anything for you game wise.... the 360 is the console to get for at least the next several months.

EclecticGroove on
    edited September 2007
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Also, the reason you get a 360 version of a game instead of the PC version = big TV, full surround sound system, comfy couch vs. smaller monitor, 7.1 shit speakers (because no one spends thousands of dollars on their PC speaker setup) and a computer chair.

I'm going to ignore the first part of your post. (Only because I personally think it's true, but it's not for everybody)

But remember you can hook your PC up to a big screen TV too. So it's not any different from that.

urahonky on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    How come the PS3 fanbois always talk about how awesome their games are....when they aren't? And how come they can never list ANYTHING but Resistance as being decent? When in fact, Resistance isn't even that good, it's just another rehashed FPS where better experiences are available on both the PC and the 360.

It's okay that the PS3 has ONE AAA title in it's first year? And it's okay that the AAA titles that were supposed to be so hawt and awesome turned out to be turds? This is actually a good situation for some people? Mind blowing to me, honestly. Again, I WANT to WANT a PS3, but it's beyond my logical brain to understand how people would shell out 600+ dollars for that hunk of uselessness right now.

i'd reccomend a 360 over a ps3 as well, mainly because it has soo many more games out, and coming out its still bound to have more exclusives than the ps3, especially since its probable more developers will jump ship from the ps3 if its sales don't pick up..But that last paragraph is just stupid. My pc is hooked up to my HDTV, uses the same surround sound speakers and my computer chair is infinitely more comfortable than a couch could ever be..

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm going to go against the popular opinion and advice a PS3, especially for the long run.

Bottomline, Metal Gear Solid 4, Gran Turismo 5 and Final Fantasy 13. Everything else is pretty much on both platforms, especially good FPS's. Get a PS3 and you also get Blue Ray, wich is a nice extra, and as a fellow european, a region free gaming console, an EXTREMELY nice extra. Sure, a 360 is cheaper, but it also feels cheaper. A PS3 is a purchase that will last a long, long time. However, if your hung up on games that are available right now at this very minute, then the 360 has a better line-up of games and very little extra functionality.

EDIT: Bolded .. because as european gamers I think we need to reward this kind of behaviour

djFindus on
    edited September 2007

i'd reccomend a 360 over a ps3 as well, mainly because it has soo many more games out, and coming out its still bound to have more exclusives than the ps3, especially since its probable more developers will jump ship from the ps3 if its sales don't pick up..But that last paragraph is just stupid. My pc is hooked up to my HDTV, uses the same surround sound speakers and my computer chair is infinitely more comfortable than a couch could ever be..

Yes, because that's where I want my PC, planted in the middle of my living room. NOT.

And what kind of crappy couch do you have? There is only one computer chair in the world more comfortable than my couch, and that's a Herman Miller Aeron, and I doubt you spent 1000 bucks on your computer chair....but if you did, mad props.

GnomeTank on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Final Fantasy 13 isn't necessarily a good game to bet on, especially after 12.

jothki on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007

Resistance is good "for a start" maybe. but would you have based your purchase of the system on it? I doubt it. Most of the "must have" titles that will be coming out for it are a few months away or longer. So right now, I will stand by it having nothing worth buying it for at the moment.

The rest are just nitpicky issues about the system. The accessories not included are not required to play games, neither is the Live gold account. The ps3 doesn't come with an HDMI cable, big whup... I'm not going to list things you may or may not need as a major pit fall on a system.
    The PS2, like the 360, was plagued with numerous issues and hardware revisions in the beginning, and look at how it turned out, at the least MS is owning up to it and putting forth an amicable effort to get it resolved.

The ps3 is a fairly good piece of hardware, don't get me wrong, it's just not the "OMGWTF" difference some people thought it would be, and Sony just isn't doing a very good job of getting it into a position to storm the market.

So, I reiterate, unless there is something on the PS3 that is coming out shortly, or out already that you MUST have, and the 360 just doesn't do anything for you game wise.... the 360 is the console to get for at least the next several months.

MS didn't own up to it until recently, which is what? Nearly 2 years after the problems started? A 3 year warranty isn't much either considering the amount of people getting refurbed models from the bad design that eventually fail again. My PS2 never failed but I don't recall anything near the amount of problems the 360 had and theres 100 million PS2s out there compared to the 11 mill 360s. I don't understand how people can be satiated by a 3 year warranty. You shouldn't have to be given 3 years warranty on a machine that costs £300 in case it has a catastrophic failure.

DarkWarrior on
    edited September 2007

Yes, because that's where I want my PC, planted in the middle of my living room. NOT.

And what kind of crappy couch do you have? There is only one computer chair in the world more comfortable than my couch, and that's a Herman Miller Aeron, and I doubt you spent 1000 bucks on your computer chair....but if you did, mad props.

Are you serious? Bluetooth KB/M. Keep the computer on the side of your TV stand. Coffee table in front of you with your KB/M resting on that.

I don't see what the deal is? Oh don't like KB/M? Buy a 360 Controller for your PC and use that instead.

urahonky on
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

I have a Herman Miller at my desk and still prefer my sofa. I also have a top of the line computer and still prefer my 360. This from someone who until the 360 prefered pc gaming over every console ever. I say get the 360 it is some of the best gaming ever. Also every 360 exclusive won't make it to the pc. Even the ones that do take forever to get there and most of the time suck on the pc.

corin7 on
    edited September 2007
    spectra wrote: »
    Here's a list of games for the PS3 that I own and enjoy:

Resistance*
    Motorstorm*
    Armored Core 4
    NBA Street Homecourt
    Ninja Gaiden Simga*
    LAIR* (I know Factor 4.9, LOL, dragon curse, haunted development, etc. but I still enjoyed it)
    WARHAWK* (As i said earlier, awesome multiplayer experience)

*games that are PS3 exclusive (not really NGS if you count the xbox versions but whatever)

Games that I'm looking forward to:

Heavenly Sword
    Uncharted
    Ratchet and Clank
    Killzone 2
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Folklore
    Time Crisis 4

So, theres the PS3 side of the argument, but really do your own research on the games and buy whatever you think will provide you with the most entertainment.

I am pretty picky when it comes to games, I tend to rarely pick something up for the sake of having something to play. Out of the current releases the only one I could see myself playing would be Resistance and even then it would be because there is no fps that appeals to me more rather than I love the game.

Of the releases Heavenly Sword and Metal Gear both really interest me, as well as Time Crisis which I have always enjoyed. That said I would likely be just as sparing with my 360 purchases, only getting 1 or 2 AAA titles and then picking up a couple of fun ones to play with friends.

Hedwirez on
    edited September 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

Are you serious? Bluetooth KB/M. Keep the computer on the side of your TV stand. Coffee table in front of you with your KB/M resting on that.

I don't see what the deal is? Oh don't like KB/M? Buy a 360 Controller for your PC and use that instead.

No, you don't seem to understand. I don't want my PC in my living room at all, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that I would like to use it without tying up my TV. If you think I am the only person of this opinion, you would be mistaken.

GnomeTank on
    edited September 2007

No, you don't seem to understand. I don't want my PC in my living room at all, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that I would like to use it without tying up my TV. If you think I am the only person of this opinion, you would be mistaken.

I... Nevermind. Continue thread!!

urahonky on
    edited September 2007
    corin7 wrote: »

I have a Herman Miller at my desk and still prefer my sofa. I also have a top of the line computer and still prefer my 360. This from someone who until the 360 prefered pc gaming over every console ever. I say get the 360 it is some of the best gaming ever. Also every 360 exclusive won't make it to the pc. Even the ones that do take forever to get there and most of the time suck on the pc.

Harlo Herman Miller buddy *hi5*. I love my Aeron, even if it did cost me a small Cambodian child to purchase.

GnomeTank on
  • tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd say don't buy anything, right now.

If you're not into Halo, then buying a 360 to play it doesn't make sense. You will get your fill of 360 games on your PC.

Don't buy a PS3...yet. Sony will most likely not do a 'price drop' but will enhance their existing system at the same price point. All the games folks are touting for the PS3 have many, many months (if not a full year) till they are scheduled for release. No use going out to by a PS3 if all you are going to do is play Resistance.

If there is no game currently out that will compel you to spend hundreds of dollars on now, then wait till there is one. It's not like PS3/360s are magically going to disappear in 6 months. If anything they will get better/cheaper.

tachyon on
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Harlo Herman Miller buddy *hi5*. I love my Aeron, even if it did cost me a small Cambodian child to purchase.

HA I drooled over them for years but never could justify the cost. Then I got a sweet deal on one because the wife is an interior designer for a decent sized firm. At that point I couldn't say no. I love it to death.

corin7 on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

No, you don't seem to understand. I find having a PC in my living room indispensible, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it can do many things while tying up the TV and has its own seperate monitor. If you think I am the only person of this opinion, you would be mistaken

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    RobCat makes a fair point... that's why I never got an original Xbox, too many PC ports. But let me give you the perspective of someone who owns both a high-end gaming PC and a 360.

I think it's totally worth it for a few reasons.

First, Gears of War. Yes, it's coming to PC, but that could still be years away. On 360 you can play it now, with a huge online community. I actually think it's one of the rare FPS that plays better with a controller due to the cover mechanic, so there's that. Plus the multiplayer really benefits from voice chat, and on Live you find more people with headsets than you do on a PC.

Second, Viva Pinata. It's an underrated gem. I gave it to a female friend of mine to borrow because she liked the cute animals. Her hardcore gamer boyfriend, who had dismissed the title at first glance, had 960 achievements in the game within a week!

Third, Xbox Live Arcade. Really, this should sell you on the system all by itself. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 w/ online play. Worms w/ online play. Puzzle Fighter 2 with redrawn graphics and online play. Catan and Carcasonne... w/ online play! Soon-to-be redrawn Street Fighter 2 w/ online play. I think you get the point. For me personally, if my Xbox 360 had only XBLA titles I'd still think it was worth the $400.

Fourth, Dead Rising. I'll admit this game isn't exactly a system-seller, but it is great.

Fifth, Forza 2. If you like racing sims (and I do!) this is a system-seller. I love my wireless racing wheel too.

There are also some random games that come out for both 360 and PC that you might prefer on 360. For example, I have 5.1 sound in my home theater but not on my PC. So a game like stranglehold, where the sound is awesome, I'd rather get on my 360. Not to mention that you can rent Stranglehold for console but not PC... and from what I hear about stranglehold, renting is the right decision. (I know Strangehold is on PS3 too, I'm just using it as an example).

I mean, if none of the above appeals to you, go ahead and get the PS3. It's your money. But I'd much rather be playing Gears now than thinking about how I can play MGS4 sometime in the future.

Brym on
    edited September 2007
    corin7 wrote: »

HA I drooled over them for years but never could justify the cost. Then I got a sweet deal on one because the wife is an interior designer for a decent sized firm. At that point I couldn't say no. I love it to death.

I had to get mine from some swanky posh boutique because the office suppliers around here that sell them wouldn't deal with a private citizen because I don't have tax information (no wholesale for me). Was a pain in the ass, but I didn't want to order one off the internet because they have so many options and if you get the wrong ones, it sucks.

GnomeTank on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hedwirez wrote: »
    So no votes at all for the PS3? I thought it would be slightly more balanced than that.

I used to love Final Fantasy but havn't bothered with them as much recently, I barely played 12 mainly due to my retarded playstation 2 only working once every 50 attempts. Seems I would be only be buying the PS3 for metal gear.

In this forum (and many else) you get a majority of 360 supporters.

My opinion, decide by games. I got PS3 first because I want Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, God of War II, the next project of the ICO/Shadow of Colossus team and so on.

If you want Halo, Mass Effect, BioShock and so on, get 360.

It's also true that 360 has better games right now. I'm halfway getting one myself, but I'm going to wait until the breaking rate goes down.

PS3 is much more quality product in my opinion though, much better as far as media capablities go and much more durable. But it is also more expensive, so it scales.

But go by the games.

DarkCrawler on
    edited September 2007

MS didn't own up to it until recently, which is what? Nearly 2 years after the problems started? A 3 year warranty isn't much either considering the amount of people getting refurbed models from the bad design that eventually fail again. My PS2 never failed but I don't recall anything near the amount of problems the 360 had and theres 100 million PS2s out there compared to the 11 mill 360s. I don't understand how people can be satiated by a 3 year warranty. You shouldn't have to be given 3 years warranty on a machine that costs £300 in case it has a catastrophic failure.

It's true they didn't own up to it for awhile, but that is mostly because the issue did not start really cropping up in a serious number of users till then. And I'd prefer a 3 year warranty to the problem just being ignored till it's swept quietly under the table with a new system revision.

And yes, the PS2 had issues, but none that were catastrophic system failures, they were mostly disc read errors and DVD playback issues. And much like the PS2, most of the 360 issues can be resolved by the end user if they void their warranty (since most are caused by the x clamp). Also, much like the PS2, the 360 issues will be once again a small issue with newer hardware revisions (already being sold).

So yes, it sucks... but the issue is not a guarantee, it won't happen to everyone, and it is still a small chance. Anecdotal evidence ftl, but I've had 2 360's (one launch, one Elite), both with serious play time, and neither has ever had an issue. By the same token I've had 1 PS2 die and 2 PSX's died shortly after their 30 day store warranty expired. Things happen, but the 360 failing is not a sure fire bet.

So based on all that, the only reason I'd ever recommend one system or the other is the games. And based on that, the 360 simply has more of them, and more variety coming out in the near future.

The PC and 360 game share issue is however valid, but not every 360 game will be on PC and vice versa, neither will every PS3 game be multi platform.

So as someone else mentioned, he should research the games he likes on both systems to make the choice, but my recommendation is the 360.

EclecticGroove on