As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Question concerning the G&T Sitewhoring rule

SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
I have a question about the sitewhoring rule: if I have material on a website I run that is relevant to the topic at hand, is providing a link to that still sitewhoring?

pa_sig.jpg
SpaceDrake on

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Just PM a mod for approval before you make such a thread.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Depends if you are elaborating on something that you've put in the thread I would expect.

Cool: "Well, what if Sonic was red? That would be awesome. Red is the best colour, because it represents danger! And blood! I talk about this more |link|at my blog|link"

Uncool: "|link|My blog talks about this|link|"

One way you are actually adding to the thread, one way you are not.

Lewisham on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    I think also steering a topic to point directly at the contents of one's blog would also be high on the lameometer, but that is also a personal opinion.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    In my experience, G&T secretly loves sitewhores. Look at the recent Spyro thread, for example.

Just ask a mod first, and make your post awesome.

jothki on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Cool: "Well, what if Sonic was red? That would be awesome. Red is the best colour, because it represents danger! And blood! I talk about this more |link|at my blog|link"

To be fair, that's still a staggeringly lame post.

Etoychest used to link to his site all the time, but he'd always post the contents of the article in the thread along with it. If your post requires me to go to your site, it is a bad post.

Tube on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Or anyone else's site for that matter. There are, however exceptions to that rule.

Meiz on
  • etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yea...I like to put links to my source article, but I also put the text of the article in the post. Of course I'd like people to check out the site(s) I write for, but that's just a side effect of the post, as I just wanna clue people in on info. Also, if it's an interview that people here sent me questions for I'll post a link with some of the key Q&A tidbits included int he post so they can get the gist without clicking or leaving the forum.

etoychest on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I often post links to my blog, but that's mainly in these circumstances -

1. Either when people have specifically asked for a good price on something
    2. In the Bargains thread
    3. In a games thread when I find a great pre-order price

There are several reasons why I post links to my blog, not just links to the deal -
    1. Often there is things like discount codes to apply, and i keep all the details for those on my blog
    2. I use affiliate links, which are against the rules to post in G&T
    3. I post deals in a few other forums too, and if, say, a deal needs updating (like it is a missprice and the retailer won't honour it, for example) I then only need to update one place.

I am pretty certain that I follow the rules about sitewhoring to the letter, and definately to the spirit.

LewieP on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    2. I use affiliate links, which are against the rules to post in G&T

I am pretty certain that I follow the rules about sitewhoring to the letter, and definately to the spirit.

How are you following the rules to the spirit when you just admitted you're skirting around the rules by putting the affiliate links in your blog?

Lewisham on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2007
    What on earth does his using affiliate links on his blog have to do with us?

Tube on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Because he can put them on his blog, the rules only apply to the forums. What kind of question is that?

Me Too! on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ^Yeah, pretty much what they said

In my eye's, it's no different to a link to cheapassgamer, or any of the major games news sites that have advertising or affiliate links.

No one has ever complained (until you) and before I had the blog people encouraged me to set up the blog so I could get some kind of payment (it's really not alot) out of finding bargains for people, which before I was just doing to be helpful and because I enjoy it.

If it makes any difference to your opinion, this is taken directly from my blog -
    "Where applicable, I will post referral links. These links will lead to me getting commission from the retailers, often varying between 1 and 10%. There is no change in price for you, but if you prefer not to use referral links then you only need to browse the homepage of the retailer and search for the item."

LewieP on