As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

this [chat] is made possible by viewers like you

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    how do i make my windows 7 pc ask for a password upon startup

Control Panel > User Accounts > Set a password

the admin account (the only account) is already password protected. it says i can change my password? but there's no checkbox there for ask-on-startup

I dunno that there's another way to have a password except the login screen

Unless you set a BIOS password

i'm fine with a login screen password. what i'm saying is my computer boots straight to windows, even though it says the only account is password-protected.

Wait, is it the literal "Administrator" account, or the "Oganichu" account, that has administrator privileges.
    Cause, uh, you probably shouldn't use the machine admin account as your only one.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    on a rewatch of Charmed and I'm noticing a few moments, in the first few seasons, that are oddly prescient

though I'm not sure exactly when the decision to
    fire Shannen Doherty occurred

so some of it might be intentional foreshadowing instead of accidental.

• InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    I can't see a reasonable justification for not letting the pilot take the controls in an emergency until we have SkyNet level cyborgs flying planes.

because the situations where computers fail are also situations where humans do even worse. That is the real reason why computerization built on the assumption of handing control to the human during a crisis is not a panacea.

humans diagnose risks based on heuristics and experience. But computers are even better at scanning heuristics and recording experience than humans. Their limits are in sensory input and adaptation to unusual circumstance

IAPW the computer informs the human operator on what its programmers think is going on at the moment at all times, but that would require considerable advances in user interface design

I can see an argument for an emergency override for that 1% or 2% of the time the human has to do something crazy to try and reduce damage or save the plane. Computers are great 98% of the time and will fix problems but there is a reason we keep a human in the front of the plane still, sometimes a humans intuition due to years of practice and training will work out and save a plane where a computer won't.

These situations are rare but I rather error on having a robust computer but a manual override when needed and usually only after the computer is already failing.

The thing that worries me is that by having the computer in control 98% of the time we are reducing the experience of the actual pilot population. At a certain point the pilots will have so little experience they are probably NOT the better choice in an emergency. There was at least one case this year where the pilots assumed direct control and did the exact opposite of what they should have.

And the additional factor of every recovered black box leads to updates and refinements in the rest of the fleet, whereas even if the pilot survives, ensuring that all other pilots learn from the mistake is probably harder than just updating some firmware.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Part of the problem with modern airframes is that it is possible (and frequently desirable) to design a plane which requires machine translation of control inputs, because the plane does not respond linearly, consistently, or intuitively at certain attitudes.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    All these new people in chat. I am going to have to train an entire new generation not to take me seriously, god damnit.

All sorts of new people to annoy with my smug superiority due to the stellar products I use every day.

8->

Posted from my iPad mini

Posted from a Frankenstein project of a computer I build with glue, paperclips, and cum.

Lots and Lots of cum.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    My machine only has one account.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    all i know is first we let them fly our planes and drive our cars and then we're all little more than processor cores in their giant cloud computing infrastructure while we waste away living in a dream world

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I said it late last night, but Gone Home is a spectacular experience, even if it's not really a game, and is worth the 90 minutes of your time and 6-10 bucks it costs. I want to support projects like this in hopes that they find mainstream appeal.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    All these new people in chat. I am going to have to train an entire new generation not to take me seriously, god damnit.

All sorts of new people to annoy with my smug superiority due to the stellar products I use every day.

8->

Posted from my iPad mini

Posted from a Frankenstein project of a computer I build with glue, paperclips, and cum.

Lots and Lots of cum.

it's a surprisingly effective heatsink

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

8->

Posted from my iPad mini

Lots and Lots of cum.

As we learned in the holiday forum, elf cum is pretty high octane.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Set up a different account called Organichu. Give it admin privileges. Don't use your administrator account as your only account.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HanTDiiZLpg

I want to take a girl to the cinema and have her leave in a huff without me noticing because the movie enraptured me

ftOqU21.png
    Thermal inherface meterial

Thermal cumpound

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    on a rewatch of Charmed and I'm noticing a few moments, in the first few seasons, that are oddly prescient

though I'm not sure exactly when the decision to
    fire Shannen Doherty occurred

so some of it might be intentional foreshadowing instead of accidental.

I was watching that show recently on Netflix, and assuming what I read was true, her being fired was rather sudden.

Incidentally, I lost all interest in the show after she left. :P

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    also it was really convenient on my parents' imac to have my own account with all my stuff on it when i was home for xmas and fast user switching on os x it like bloop floop easy

poo

Set up a different account called Organichu. Give it admin privileges. Don't use your administrator account as your only account.

Do I have to that sounds like an awful lot of work.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Thermal inherface meterial

Thermal cumpound

that was a stretch even by my standards

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I finally finished AC3. They seriously brought up consensus reality stuff for like five seconds.

what do for lunch today

boring italian place

boring mexican place

shitty fast food

drive eight miles one way for shawarma

move to a more cosmopolitan city

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

dont worry ludious

macs are best fyi hth

919UOwT.png
    ohhh i remembered my dream

it started out as a disaster movie with a massive flood
    i think josh hartnett or someone like that was in it idk why?
    but he was promptly forgotten that was just the setup

being washed down the flood

cuz then it became first person pov and like it was survival in a forest

there were dinosaurs and traps and tribal ppl with arrows
    many bros died
    also was in communication with j'onn the martian manhunter telepathically
    made my way to this massive tree of knowledge or something and climbed it (by leaping up to different branches ??)

and then there was a platform at the top of the trunk where i sat on it and meditated

then i woke up and it was still 530am

poo
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular

this is probably what he's done, I wanna say windows 7 requires some tinkering to enable the built-in admin account.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I like what I played of Gone Home.

Unfortunately I can't play it over the holidays because it is unoptimized and won't play worth a damn on my laptop.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697

Yeah, honestly for win7 if you don't have a user account you've kind of stopped before the installation was complete.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

You don't have to but it is a good idea.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    isn't there always an underlying hidden Administrator account

aRkpc.gif
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    I can't see a reasonable justification for not letting the pilot take the controls in an emergency until we have SkyNet level cyborgs flying planes.

because the situations where computers fail are also situations where humans do even worse. That is the real reason why computerization built on the assumption of handing control to the human during a crisis is not a panacea.

humans diagnose risks based on heuristics and experience. But computers are even better at scanning heuristics and recording experience than humans. Their limits are in sensory input and adaptation to unusual circumstance

IAPW the computer informs the human operator on what its programmers think is going on at the moment at all times, but that would require considerable advances in user interface design

Blaming a pilot is easy.

Trying to figure out who to blame when a computer derps out is hard.

And this is america, so we have to blame someone.

the company who programmed the computer

To be fair to @Aioua it is pretty hard still to figure out which company programmed a particular module. There is an amazing amount of paperwork to contain all of the traceability, but often the tools selected to contain this traceability are awful pieces of garbage. Compounded with the reality that the humans generating the traceability often fudge things or make data-entry errors.

Like, it took Boeing a few weeks to figure out it was a contractor in Tucson, AZ that was at least most responsible for the battery fires.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I have one account called John and it says administrator

why would you have a second account

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular

did you actually enable the administrator account or did you just name an account admin and give it admin privileges

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    don't enable the administrator account, it is there for emergency repairs

aRkpc.gif
    why should I not use the admin account

ftOqU21.png
    Variable wrote: »

you don't need to I think they think he activated the root style admin account and I don't think he did because that is sort of a pain vs just making a normal user account with admin privs

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    to cut to the heart of the matter, what folders are in c:\Users\

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The administrator account is hidden by default in Win7.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    oh I see

ftOqU21.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »

you don't need to I think they think he activated the root style admin account and I don't think he did because that is sort of a pain vs just making a normal user account with admin privs

okay yeah, that makes more sense

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    you don't want to use the only admin account as your main account because if you get a virus that fucks with privileges or whatever you're basically screwed

but i think you have to intend to use the admin account on win 7, and if you didn't intend to, you probably aren't

You don't have to but it is a good idea.

i did this when i first set up my computer

but then it annoyed me sometimes so i just made my 2nd account an admin one too i dont need to be inconvenienced

poo
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    but i think you have to intend to use the admin account on win 7, and if you didn't intend to, you probably aren't

^

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    some OEMs encourage users to use the Administrator account

some company laptops seem set up to do so, too

aRkpc.gif
This discussion has been closed.