As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

this [chat] is made possible by viewers like you

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    why should I not use the admin account

less secure if you're operating from something with full root privileges

you get a virus, virus gets to be a super user

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I said it late last night, but Gone Home is a spectacular experience, even if it's not really a game, and is worth the 90 minutes of your time and 6-10 bucks it costs. I want to support projects like this in hopes that they find mainstream appeal.

I have been told that I should play that.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Don't worry, Syndalis. We're all well aware of your stances on things. :D

Unrelated:

How dare you, unnamed vendor, actually check to see if I have permission and authorization to do what I'm requesting and fuck up my client's network! Requiring the middleman who we bought the data circuit from to be on the call.. silly man! :/

(I love seeing organizations that take authentication and proper change control seriously. I actually enjoy going through the proper red tape, as it provides a layer of CYA. :D )

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    you don't want to use the only admin account as your main account because if you get a virus that fucks with privileges or whatever you're basically screwed

but i think you have to intend to use the admin account on win 7, and if you didn't intend to, you probably aren't

Yeah but it takes some work to get autologin on win7, too. IIRC, all my machines are 8, now.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Syndalis also feels you should buy an apple product.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i need lunch

poo
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    some OEMs encourage users to use the Administrator account

some company laptops seem set up to do so, too

well it's probably a good idea to set a password for it in those situations but not to actually use it unless shit goes down

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Basically, to the software pilot argument, I'd say we don't need pilots any more. The HMI should be simplified to a set of read-only status windows with minimal inputs. You want to pilot a plane? Get yourself in a small single or twin-prop. Otherwise, the computer is going to do a better job of it than you will, and for more than 98% of the time. If the auto-pilot of a particular make was statistically proven to fail in 2% of emergency cases, all of those planes would be grounded indefinitely until a new software patch was applied to improve reliability.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    I said it late last night, but Gone Home is a spectacular experience, even if it's not really a game, and is worth the 90 minutes of your time and 6-10 bucks it costs. I want to support projects like this in hopes that they find mainstream appeal.

I have been told that I should play that.

Absolutely. It starts like a creepy ghost story, and becomes... Well, just play it.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Basically, to the software pilot argument, I'd say we don't need pilots any more. The HMI should be simplified to a set of read-only status windows with minimal inputs. You want to pilot a plane? Get yourself in a small single or twin-prop. Otherwise, the computer is going to do a better job of it than you will, and for more than 98% of the time. If the auto-pilot of a particular make was statistically proven to fail in 2% of emergency cases, all of those planes would be grounded indefinitely until a new software patch was applied to improve reliability.

While probably true, you'll need a person on-board to look like a human pilot or the passengers will flip out.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    you don't want to use the only admin account as your main account because if you get a virus that fucks with privileges or whatever you're basically screwed

but i think you have to intend to use the admin account on win 7, and if you didn't intend to, you probably aren't

Yeah but it takes some work to get autologin on win7, too. IIRC, all my machines are 8, now.

nah you just don't set a password, or like chu did, don't check the "require password at login" when he goes and makes a password

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I've spent hours trying to decipher just what this administrative agency is accusing my client of doing and I'm not any closer to figuring it out.

My read: they just don't like my client. Which doesn't necessarily equal an actionable violation, so I've got that going for me.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    there seems to be a Thing where the hidden Administrator gets even more privs than a mere user with administrator privileges

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Thermal inherface meterial

Thermal cumpound

that was a stretch even by my standards

wait...

you have standards?

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Apparently Zachary Quinto has a habit of pointing when posing for pictures, just to make them that little bit creepier.

800px-Star_Trek_Into_Darkness_Cast_2013.jpg

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    isn't there always an underlying hidden Administrator account

Yes, it's the Windows version of root.
    some OEMs encourage users to use the Administrator account

some company laptops seem set up to do so, too

The main reason why is because there are some legacy apps that don't play nice if you put them in a sandbox. It's still a dumb idea, especially now that Windows has its own version of sudo.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

Thank you for your input Dr. Dyson. We'll be sure to put serious consideration into your automated piloting solution. Why, this may even have some military applications!

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Syndalis also feels you should buy an apple product.

An apple for your phone, an apple for your tablet, an apple for your laptop, and an xbawks for your gaming.

Desktop PC is a bit more flexible depending on needs, but if cash is absolutely no worry for you and the sky is the limit on budget, the new Mac Pro is so sexy. Like, I cannot even comprehend the sexiness of that machine. And it's a beast without being big and ugly.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Ah, McDonald's is shutting down their employee help website. The website that told them not to eat fast food because fast food is unhealthy.

• Options

hmmm I don't think so

there's still ample space for good-weather "look out of the window" assessment of the situation, or all-weather communication with the tower, computers are not yet well-placed to handle that kind of data processing

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

You can't exhaustively test for every possibility.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    on a rewatch of Charmed and I'm noticing a few moments, in the first few seasons, that are oddly prescient

though I'm not sure exactly when the decision to
    fire Shannen Doherty occurred

so some of it might be intentional foreshadowing instead of accidental.

I was watching that show recently on Netflix, and assuming what I read was true, her being fired was rather sudden.

Incidentally, I lost all interest in the show after she left. :P

heh

she was never the draw for me

I'd keep watching, Rose McGowan does a great job imo

• Options
    I used to make an account named LocalAdmin on my 7 machines, then use Aioua (also an admin), just in case my profile got corrupted. Trying to enable the machine admin account when there are no users you can log into is not fun.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

While probably true, you'll need a person on-board to look like a human pilot or the passengers will flip out.

Yeah, i'm on board with that. Basically, the pilot is replaced by what we'd call an "operator". Someone to provide boots-on-the-ground diagnostics to a central tower (like Ground Control for NASA), play grabass with any attractive flight attendants, and smile and wave at the passengers.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    @Tarranon gifter of things, has made the owner of Hotline Miami. Yes, that I am.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

Yeah, i'm on board with that. Basically, the pilot is replaced by what we'd call an "operator". Someone to provide boots-on-the-ground diagnostics to a central tower (like Ground Control for NASA), play grabass with any attractive flight attendants, and smile and wave at the passengers.

also go "no, computer, this is the ocean and not the runway, no matter what that instrument is telling you" on occasion

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I wonder whether windows 8 finally introduced a native way to request escalation in the command prompt

(no, powershell does not count)

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    I don't understand how we live in a world where people are rewatching Charmed without any sense of irony or shame

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    @Tarranon gifter of things, has made the owner of Hotline Miami. Yes, that I am.

so goooood

brutal.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Apparently Zachary Quinto has a habit of pointing when posing for pictures, just to make them that little bit creepier.

800px-Star_Trek_Into_Darkness_Cast_2013.jpg

"Tonight. You."

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Variable wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »

so goooood

brutal.

Best Murder Simulator set to thumpin' 80s beats ever.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I wonder whether windows 8 finally introduced a native way to request escalation in the command prompt

Why not? Powershell is supposed to replace that outdated piece of junk called cmd.exe.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

Pretty sure no, because UAC.

You can, however, launch PS/CMD prompts as Admin from win+X and from the file menu in the new explorer. In fact if you launch it from explorer it starts with that folder and the working directory, which I think is pretty neat.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Ah, McDonald's is shutting down their employee help website. The website that told them not to eat fast food because fast food is unhealthy.

It also told us to sell our Christmas gifts to help with the burden of our bills.

Because cutting my days from 5 to 2 helped big time, McDonalds.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Omw to get an ultrasound of my kidneys, checking them for stones.

• Options
    I remember when Papa Johns whined about how much it would cost consumers if Papa Johns had to give every employee health insurance, and it was something like 50 cents more a pizza and most people couldn't give a fuck.

Similar to McD's, someone ran the numbers on how much more an extra value meal would cost if McDonalds paid employees a living wage and it was like a buck more. End of civilization I tell ya.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I think, as @Ronya pointed out, right now you don't have computers getting all the information anyway. We need a person in the cockpit/control center to double check the computers readings(the ocean not runway thing) but also to give the visual inputs and such that a computer isn't getting. Once we get computers up to the point they can basically see+all the info they get then I think you can go full automated almost.

Actually Ben Bova's moon series actually describes the LEO planes as basically being automated but they keep a human in the cockpit for the other humans to feel safe. Mostly because the computers had reached the point that they don't need the human because they get all and more info than the human.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    AssCreed IV is showing up as a daily deal, but without a discount applied

that's ... strange

edit: there it goes

Tamin on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    lol steam sale: assassins creed black flag on sale! for full price.

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    ok, they fixed it now.

This discussion has been closed.