As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

this [chat] is made possible by viewers like you

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    I wonder whether windows 8 finally introduced a native way to request escalation in the command prompt

(no, powershell does not count)

Why not? Powershell is supposed to replace that outdated piece of junk called cmd.exe.

because powershell scripts are not enabled by default

aRkpc.gif
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I wonder whether windows 8 finally introduced a native way to request escalation in the command prompt

you have to start with an elevated command prompt.

you can't elevate a command prompt in session

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    it always takes a minute or two for the prices to adjust

I hope steam marines won!

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Feral wrote: »

you have to start with an elevated command prompt.

you can't elevate a command prompt in session

set up a session-specific PATH? navigated to some funky directory in multiple drives? WELL SCREW YOOOOOU

aRkpc.gif
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

Why not? Powershell is supposed to replace that outdated piece of junk called cmd.exe.

because powershell scripts are not enabled by default

This is a thing I wish they would change. C'mooon Win9

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Variable wrote: »
    it always takes a minute or two for the prices to adjust

I hope steam marines won!

it ... I thought it said "winner"

edit: yeah, it's down to 2.50 on the store page

Tamin on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Speaking of steam gifts, @thatassemblyguy gave me Starbound.

Thank you, thatassemblyguy!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Basically, to the software pilot argument, I'd say we don't need pilots any more. The HMI should be simplified to a set of read-only status windows with minimal inputs. You want to pilot a plane? Get yourself in a small single or twin-prop. Otherwise, the computer is going to do a better job of it than you will, and for more than 98% of the time. If the auto-pilot of a particular make was statistically proven to fail in 2% of emergency cases, all of those planes would be grounded indefinitely until a new software patch was applied to improve reliability.

While probably true, you'll need a person on-board to look like a human pilot or the passengers will flip out.

Yeah, i'm on board with that. Basically, the pilot is replaced by what we'd call an "operator". Someone to provide boots-on-the-ground diagnostics to a central tower (like Ground Control for NASA), play grabass with any attractive flight attendants, and smile and wave at the passengers.

also go "no, computer, this is the ocean and not the runway, no matter what that instrument is telling you" on occasion

Yeah... This is the one.

As soon as you involve hydraulics in the flight controls you have gotten to that 98% place execution wise, but there are still decision making things better done by a human. Part of the difficulty right now is that pilot training, and pilots themselves, still focus too much on flying and not enough on decision making (even if there is lip-service given to the other way around.

Basically we've got pilots being player/coaches, that should really just be the coach.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
    powershell is too powerful to enable by default, I think

and that's the problem

aRkpc.gif
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Only 25 percent off? Come on, do at least 33 percent off.

Don't Starve is really tempting.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    so hungry

if i die, tell my cats i love them

Elendil on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

and that's the problem

It's no more powerful than, say, bash.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I remember when Papa Johns whined about how much it would cost consumers if Papa Johns had to give every employee health insurance, and it was something like 50 cents more a pizza and most people couldn't give a fuck.

Similar to McD's, someone ran the numbers on how much more an extra value meal would cost if McDonalds paid employees a living wage and it was like a buck more. End of civilization I tell ya.

We've already bumped the McDouble from $1 to $1.19 because we released those fucking Buffalo Ranch McChickens and the greatest burger ever, the BBQ Ranch Burger (If you having tried one, get it. It's heaven. Just as for American Cheese instead of the Cheddar. You'll thank me later.) but even then, they still call me in 2-3 days a week, then bitch at me for working over 30 hours a week. And lets not forget that I didn't get a raise for being late to work (which is odd since anyone will tell you, including my log in times, that I am hardly ever late, I'm one of the first people there, if not the first.)

I sometimes wonder why I got out of the drug dealing business. 2 years in jail wasn't so bad...

Elendil wrote: »
    so hungry

if i die tell my cats i love them

don't worry, they'll fully appreciate you when they go hungry too

aRkpc.gif
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Wal-Mart still is proud that no one makes minimum wage in Michigan. Everyone gets above minimum wage. When I worked there minimum wage was $7.10 and I made $7.90. What an increase. Those promised yearly raises of .25 an hour really helped too.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Omw to get an ultrasound of my kidneys, checking them for stones.

Do they suspect there are some, or is this a checkup?

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    now playing: steam marines

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

and that's the problem

Eh, you can hork up a machine real nice with either cmd or ps. It's not like regular users are ever going to touch them.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    so hungry

Especially when they get done eating you. Cats will do that, you know.

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    The game is rigged man.

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Oh god. I already own half of the games that are on sale today on Steam.

I think I need an intervention.

I think the complaints about the towns in colonial America being kind of shitty were correct. I loved climbing towers and climbing rocks and trees didn't scratch that itch.

• PonyPony Registered User regular

Likelihood is high suspects are still in the premises

so hungry

eat your cats

I had a kidney stone once. That shit is worse than a migraine.

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I could totally see my cat eating me if I died on him. I wouldn't really mind though as I would be too dead to care.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    so hungry

eat your cats

Better hurry before they eat you.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular

Your Avatar makes you seem excited with the prospect.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Oh god. I already own half of the games that are on sale today on Steam.

I think I need an intervention.

I'm buying far cry 3 blood dragon

then I will own all the worthwhile games on today's sale

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov

and that's the problem

yup, but bash would also be too powerful to enable by default

too many people appear willing to blindly run scripts that someone else assures them will achieve some funny/etc. objective

aRkpc.gif
    I will shut up about AC3, but I have to say that the Paul Revere ride was one of the most retardedly designed missions I have ever seen. Every single part of that was stupid.

so hungry

Especially when they get done eating you. Cats will do that, you know.

BbeKWNqCMAAiUqs.jpg:large

aRkpc.gif
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    659px-Kreiselkompass_Schnitt_Ansch%C3%BCtz.jpg

in case you wanted to know what gets me hot and bothered; a gyrocompass

ftOqU21.png
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Basically, to the software pilot argument, I'd say we don't need pilots any more. The HMI should be simplified to a set of read-only status windows with minimal inputs. You want to pilot a plane? Get yourself in a small single or twin-prop. Otherwise, the computer is going to do a better job of it than you will, and for more than 98% of the time. If the auto-pilot of a particular make was statistically proven to fail in 2% of emergency cases, all of those planes would be grounded indefinitely until a new software patch was applied to improve reliability.

hmmm I don't think so

there's still ample space for good-weather "look out of the window" assessment of the situation, or all-weather communication with the tower, computers are not yet well-placed to handle that kind of data processing

Most good weather VFR is good for training students on older generation planes, and a computer will perform just as well in good-weather as a pilot. IFR, for when the pilot can't see anything, is basically what commercial pilots use pretty much all the time anyway.
    Abdhyius wrote: »

You can't exhaustively test for every possibility.

You're choosing to exaggerate your point.

Airplane manufacturers generate a large set of requirements that are tested. Software, Hardware, and the integration of these parts all have requirements associated with functionality and performance tolerances; all the way down to each individual line of code, wire, nut and bolt. Each one of these requirements might have more than one test to ensure adequate coverage of the requirement.

The FAA has a large set of specifications and work-instructions on how-to-validate-your-plane that drive a majority of the Airplane Manufacturer's requirements. These documents are the foundation of what lets an aircraft fly in US airspace. If you can't prove your aircraft to 100% of these specifications; you are not flying your air plane in US airspace. Saying, "Yeah, our computers are likely to not be able to handle 2% of situations" will get your aircraft grounded.
    cptrugged wrote: »

Thank you for your input Dr. Dyson. We'll be sure to put serious consideration into your automated piloting solution. Why, this may even have some military applications!

Appreciate the snark. :P

i wonder how cat owners put up with the smell of Cat floating in the house

aRkpc.gif
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

and that's the problem

yup, but bash would also be too powerful to enable by default

too many people appear willing to blindly run scripts that someone else assures them will achieve some funny/etc. objective

One of my favorite of the sort of social viruses that were going around in the early 00's was something we called the redneck virus. It was nothing more than an email. Just an email that told people to delete a particular file on their PC and the email was signed "IT Department". It was amazing how many people just straight up followed the instructions and then afterwards called IT to find out why whatever it was didn't work.

Neco wrote: »
    I could totally see my cat eating me if I died on him. I wouldn't really mind though as I would be too dead to care.

I honestly think that my oldest cat would lay down on top of me and be really confused why I wasn't moving and would I assume that I was sick. And I think she'd stay there until help arrived.
    And this is something I think about when I'm pondering suicide, and it's pretty effective at getting me to stop thinking about suicide.

i wonder how cat owners put up with the smell of Cat floating in the house

my cats only smell of Cat when I'm a bad owner and I let the litter box go too long

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    *hugs* Feral.

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Speaking of steam gifts, @that assemblyguy gave me Starbound.

Thank you, thatassemblyguy!

no clue what you're talking about. :bz
    you're welcome![/spolier]

This discussion has been closed.