As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

this [chat] is made possible by viewers like you

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    i wonder how cat owners put up with the smell of Cat floating in the house

Brain parasites. Also you get use to smells over an extended period of time.

I can smell even super clean cat apartments the moment I walk in. But they don't notice the smell since they are use to it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't think I have ever noticed cat smell unless I am taking bad care of the litter box.

He does have terrible breath, though.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Basically, to the software pilot argument, I'd say we don't need pilots any more. The HMI should be simplified to a set of read-only status windows with minimal inputs. You want to pilot a plane? Get yourself in a small single or twin-prop. Otherwise, the computer is going to do a better job of it than you will, and for more than 98% of the time. If the auto-pilot of a particular make was statistically proven to fail in 2% of emergency cases, all of those planes would be grounded indefinitely until a new software patch was applied to improve reliability.

hmmm I don't think so

there's still ample space for good-weather "look out of the window" assessment of the situation, or all-weather communication with the tower, computers are not yet well-placed to handle that kind of data processing

Most good weather VFR is good for training students on older generation planes, and a computer will perform just as well in good-weather as a pilot. IFR, for when the pilot can't see anything, is basically what commercial pilots use pretty much all the time anyway.

are flight computers really as good as humans at visual recognition? Even stuff like "hey, I don't recognize the terrain, we must be in the wrong place?" Or "oh shit there's something on the runway"?

... or taking instructions from the tower?

aRkpc.gif
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    fig026.jpg

so hard

ftOqU21.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I still need snowglobe 3 and 10

Feral wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    I could totally see my cat eating me if I died on him. I wouldn't really mind though as I would be too dead to care.

I honestly think that my oldest cat would lay down on top of me and be really confused why I wasn't moving and would I assume that I was sick. And I think she'd stay there until help arrived.
    And this is something I think about when I'm pondering suicide, and it's pretty effective at getting me to stop thinking about suicide.

It is possible my cat would do the same. He always sleeps on my legs all night when I go to bed.

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Oh boy, throat is sore and my voice has dropped an octave.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    Syndalis also feels you should buy an apple product.

An apple for your phone, an apple for your tablet, an apple for your laptop, and an xbawks for your gaming.

Desktop PC is a bit more flexible depending on needs, but if cash is absolutely no worry for you and the sky is the limit on budget, the new Mac Pro is so sexy. Like, I cannot even comprehend the sexiness of that machine. And it's a beast without being big and ugly.

not enough LEDs, no neon lights, no window, would not buy

919UOwT.png
    this newspaper commercial features a lesbian couple

I suddenly want to write a barely coherent editorial full of babbling rage and insanity

ftOqU21.png
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Basically, to the software pilot argument, I'd say we don't need pilots any more. The HMI should be simplified to a set of read-only status windows with minimal inputs. You want to pilot a plane? Get yourself in a small single or twin-prop. Otherwise, the computer is going to do a better job of it than you will, and for more than 98% of the time. If the auto-pilot of a particular make was statistically proven to fail in 2% of emergency cases, all of those planes would be grounded indefinitely until a new software patch was applied to improve reliability.

hmmm I don't think so

there's still ample space for good-weather "look out of the window" assessment of the situation, or all-weather communication with the tower, computers are not yet well-placed to handle that kind of data processing

Most good weather VFR is good for training students on older generation planes, and a computer will perform just as well in good-weather as a pilot. IFR, for when the pilot can't see anything, is basically what commercial pilots use pretty much all the time anyway.

are flight computers really as good as humans at visual recognition? Even stuff like "hey, I don't recognize the terrain, we must be in the wrong place?" Or "oh shit there's something on the runway"?

No. Machine vision is really, really hard.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • japanjapan Registered User regular

hmmm I don't think so

There exist terrain matching navigation systems.

Mostly for cruise missiles though, I think, which is why Saddam used to expend a lot of effort moving hills around.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I will shut up about AC3, but I have to say that the Paul Revere ride was one of the most retardedly designed missions I have ever seen. Every single part of that was stupid.

why do you hate america

919UOwT.png
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    Is Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes any good? I haven't played a 4x game in years.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I could totally see my cat eating me if I died on him. I wouldn't really mind though as I would be too dead to care.

I honestly think that my oldest cat would lay down on top of me and be really confused why I wasn't moving and would I assume that I was sick. And I think she'd stay there until help arrived.
    And this is something I think about when I'm pondering suicide, and it's pretty effective at getting me to stop thinking about suicide.

It is possible my cat would do the same. He always sleeps on my legs all night when I go to bed.

That's just to sap your warmth while waiting for you to become a meal.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    815165 wrote: »
    Is Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes any good? I haven't played a 4x game in years.

It is a well done but really ugly Heroes of Might and Magic. I hear good things though.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

It's decent fun. Not terribly different from any other 4x game, though, other than setting.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    Cinders wrote: »
    Oh boy, throat is sore and my voice has dropped an octave.

Ack! I am sorry! I hope you are not getting sick!

Actually, I got the flu after visiting my family....

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Damn, the 92 percent off Don't Starve was a price mistake. I should have bought it when I had the chance.

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

hmmm I don't think so

They're probably not able to tell you the difference between the bottom of a coffee mug and a doughnut, but they're really good at collision detection. They even have sensors for better "visibilty" (radar, eoir, etc) than a human's eye can detect. Processing of most of these things isn't as intense as needed because the resolution doesn't need to be that good for commercial purposes. The commercial aircraft isn't trying to figure out if it is a car or an elephant on the runway; it just knows that a thing is in the way.

Instructions from the tower is trivial. Infact, that's what the big uproar 20(ish) years back was about. Ground control tower operators were scheduled to be replaced by a purely automated solution because it was proven more efficient. The union basically went ape-shit, and that whole roll-out was delayed.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    this sandwich is good

but i only need half of it cuz it is 2x the size i need

but i will probably eat it all

poo
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hey, what is a "sesquidecemvir" ?

It's in this trophy description for Skullgirls; a sesquidecemvir of seven simulacra synergizing simultaneously.

Which I think means do a combo as the shape shifter involving all 7 other characters. But whu?

Oh brilliant
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    sesquideci- would be one and a half tens right?

Instructions from the tower is trivial. Infact, that's what the big uproar 20(ish) years back was about. Ground control tower operators were scheduled to be replaced by a purely automated solution because it was proven more efficient. The union basically went ape-shit, and that whole roll-out was delayed.

No, that's not what it was about. At all.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

It's decent fun. Not terribly different from any other 4x game, though, other than setting.
    it actually amazes me how similar some of these games are

it feels like a genre that was "perfected" a long time ago so people don't want to change too much

but I haven't spent all that much time with anything in the genre, just poked around here and there

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    powershell is too powerful to enable by default, I think

and that's the problem

It's no more powerful than, say, bash.

yup, but bash would also be too powerful to enable by default

too many people appear willing to blindly run scripts that someone else assures them will achieve some funny/etc. objective

I wish I could find the story again

but there was some post where the user asked for a "server update" script

and some joker told him to use something like

dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/hda

Variable wrote: »

it actually amazes me how similar some of these games are

it feels like a genre that was "perfected" a long time ago so people don't want to change too much

but I haven't spent all that much time with anything in the genre, just poked around here and there

it does have turn-based tactical combat, which is a notable difference

but that's about it

the Admiralty Fire Control Table on the HMS Belfast.

1024px-HMS_Belfast_-_6inch_transmitting_station_1.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

It is a well done but really ugly Heroes of Might and Magic. I hear good things though.

you ain't lying when you said it's ugly, game has no alibi

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Also, there are lots of signals that are used to help find runways - a failure to use one of these is what caused the collision in SFO; a broadcast signal from the airport wasn't working...

Human pilot fubar'ed the landing in clear weather.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

What was it about

Is there a Wikipedia search term I could use?

I don't really care about the automation discussion but the sociology of the rollout sounds interesting

sig.gif
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Hrm, i hate this.

i'm hung up on trying to remember what i was thinking about 5 minutes ago... and i can't...

What was it about

I don't really care about the automation discussion but the sociology of the rollout sounds interesting

Before we get carried away, it wasn't only about unions protecting human jobs from computer replacement, but that was a large part of it.

Saying "not at all" is not at all accurate.

• MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

hmmm I don't think so

There exist terrain matching navigation systems.

Mostly for cruise missiles though, I think, which is why Saddam used to expend a lot of effort moving hills around.

The difficulty there is that adding extra instruments or capabilities increases your inter reliance and complexity in exponential ways. If an instrument just won't work it's not usually a big deal, but if it's misreading? Holy hell can that cause chaos with heuristics.

A cruise missile only needs to work once, and we don't use that many. So 1/1,000,000 chance of mis-routing might never even be discovered. A 1/1,000,000 chance of a passenger plane mis-routing would be catastrophic. It would be a mis-route once every two weeks or something.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton

What was it about

It was about how the FAA was fucking the ATCs out of their pensions.

(I take this one personally, because I'm the son of a PATCO striker.)

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    *rolls*

steam_sig.png
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    What decade

sig.gif
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

Decemviri is a word on it's own, so I guess that leaves Sesqui as a word alone at the start. So. "One and a half ten men." Weird. It's probably their word for what the shapeshifter character is? Just trying to work out the root of it. :P

Oh brilliant

Decemviri is a word on it's own, so I guess that leaves Sesqui as a word alone at the start. So. "One and a half ten men." Weird. It's probably their word for what the shapeshifter character is? Just trying to work out the root of it. :P

15 men?

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    God this thread moves fast.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Playing Civ V on a surface pro 2 in touchscreen mode.

This is Civilization.

This discussion has been closed.