As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

this [chat] is made possible by viewers like you

19495969798100»

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    God this thread moves fast.

it does

then you get used to it

then when it's slow you're like OMG [CHAT] IS BROKEN WHERE IS EVERYBODY

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    *rolls*

Congrats! You won a pickle baloney peanut butter and mayo sandwich. Don't you love your careless rolls.

NOW EAT IT YOU PIG!

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Playing Civ V on a surface pro 2 in touchscreen mode.

This is Civilization.

quite literally, yes

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    What decade

PATCO strike was in 81'

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Hey, what is a "sesquidecemvir" ?

It's in this trophy description for Skullgirls; a sesquidecemvir of seven simulacra synergizing simultaneously.

Which I think means do a combo as the shape shifter involving all 7 other characters. But whu?

Cesca says best guess is that it's two words:

Sesqui decemvir

Which would be something like "increase by one and a half times (or increase by half as much again) a member of a group of ten officials"

A decemviri would be a ten man legal commission, or some such, and a decemvir a member of the same.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

Drink from the fire hose brother

sig.gif
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    @State of the Art Robot

I forgot to ask, do you know about the commissary's early bird program?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    I will shut up about AC3, but I have to say that the Paul Revere ride was one of the most retardedly designed missions I have ever seen. Every single part of that was stupid.

why do you hate america
    Because not every famous event in the goddamn Revolution needs to be shown.

The game never gave me the option to kill the British guy who writes those stupid summaries. Desmond should have had the option of going "America, FUCK YEAH" and assassinating him.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    morning

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

it does

then you get used to it

then when it's slow you're like OMG [CHAT] IS BROKEN WHERE IS EVERYBODY

I once had to wait nearly ten minutes before anyone said anything in chat.

I thought the world was ending. I even threw a pillow about it.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Bummer, xmass hangout is gone for another year.

Was really liking hanging out there this year.

it was xmassy.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    morning

close enough

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Yum pastrami sandwich. Hunger-be-gone.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    Basically, to the software pilot argument, I'd say we don't need pilots any more. The HMI should be simplified to a set of read-only status windows with minimal inputs. You want to pilot a plane? Get yourself in a small single or twin-prop. Otherwise, the computer is going to do a better job of it than you will, and for more than 98% of the time. If the auto-pilot of a particular make was statistically proven to fail in 2% of emergency cases, all of those planes would be grounded indefinitely until a new software patch was applied to improve reliability.

hmmm I don't think so

there's still ample space for good-weather "look out of the window" assessment of the situation, or all-weather communication with the tower, computers are not yet well-placed to handle that kind of data processing

Most good weather VFR is good for training students on older generation planes, and a computer will perform just as well in good-weather as a pilot. IFR, for when the pilot can't see anything, is basically what commercial pilots use pretty much all the time anyway.

are flight computers really as good as humans at visual recognition? Even stuff like "hey, I don't recognize the terrain, we must be in the wrong place?" Or "oh shit there's something on the runway"?

... or taking instructions from the tower?

There exist terrain matching navigation systems.

Mostly for cruise missiles though, I think, which is why Saddam used to expend a lot of effort moving hills around.

The difficulty there is that adding extra instruments or capabilities increases your inter reliance and complexity in exponential ways. If an instrument just won't work it's not usually a big deal, but if it's misreading? Holy hell can that cause chaos with heuristics.

A cruise missile only needs to work once, and we don't use that many. So 1/1,000,000 chance of mis-routing might never even be discovered. A 1/1,000,000 chance of a passenger plane mis-routing would be catastrophic. It would be a mis-route once every two weeks or something.

It's either the root of, or was based on, the ground tracking radar modules for low level collision avoidance on Tornados.

I'm not sure which way round the development went (I could be remembering this wrong).

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Bummer, xmass hangout is gone for another year.

Was really liking hanging out there this year.

it was xmassy.

right? it's the most I've ever enjoyed it

I think because I read the steam thread way more actively than in the past. having it right next to the chat thread made me feel like the king of the nerds.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Yum pastrami sandwich. Hunger-be-gone.

jealous

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    What decade

Strike was in 1981, the "sickouts" had been happening since the 70s.
    Instructions from the tower is trivial. Infact, that's what the big uproar 20(ish) years back was about. Ground control tower operators were scheduled to be replaced by a purely automated solution because it was proven more efficient. The union basically went ape-shit, and that whole roll-out was delayed.

No, that's not what it was about. At all.

You're correct. My quickly typed statement didn't fully and e: truly accurately characterize all reasons for the strike, but it was a large enough reason to be part of the conversations I've had with other retired air-traffic controllers from that time. I was merely providing another anecdote that automated control of some of these more closed systems has been a viable possibility for decades.

thatassemblyguy on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    What a perfectly cromulent word

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

We have a problem.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I can't tell if this Bo Burnham fellow is for me.

But I'm thinking probably not.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    What a perfectly cromulent word

It embiggens the soul

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    morning

at nearly 2 in the afternoon, your time?

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    "State of the Art Robot"

I forgot to ask, do you know about the commissary's early bird program?

I think it is only for disabled persons.

@Quid

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I will shut up about AC3, but I have to say that the Paul Revere ride was one of the most retardedly designed missions I have ever seen. Every single part of that was stupid.

Would have been infinitely better if you were running through the trees killing Templars trying to stop the ride.

All in all, Connor was way too involved with the greater history.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    leaving for a bit to hang with the family (and shower, I am the stinky)

[chat] you butts later.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    morning

yes

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    verdict on steam marines:

needs more time in the oven.

Kinda jerky and lacks many quality-of-life elements I would like to have.

it uses the Torque (Tribes 2) engine for ... some insane reason or other. Which may explain the jerkiness and general feeling of strange design decisions.

worth $2.50 to get in on the ground floor, though. Assuming the developer is competent, it should become quite a good game.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    morning

yes

You never get the worm, do you?

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    morning

yes

phwugh! *shakes head in disbelief*

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I have made a terrible mistake. My room is the only room in my side of the house with carpet. And I have no heat except the space heater in my room. So I get me something to eat in the kitchen and now my feet are frozen.

We might have to amputate.

• Options
    I have made a terrible mistake. My room is the only room in my side of the house with carpet. And I have no heat except the space heater in my room. So I get me something to eat in the kitchen and now my feet are frozen.

Let me tell you about socks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    morning

yes

You never get the worm, do you?

unless Cass gardens, I don't think she wants the worm

• Options

Put your feet in the space heater

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    @Gooey will create the new thread
    @Couscous is backup

This discussion has been closed.