As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NaNoWriMo is over, but the writing don't stop

1212223242527»

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    What everyone else said basically; the first draft is the first draft, it's okay to plan in advance and think about stuff but don't let it get in the way of actually writing it all down. I'm still working on a novel where the antagonist is a black woman, and in the first draft she was basically a bad Bond villain. It's terrrrrible. I will fix it and make it better.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.

Hey guys, it's time to resolve to do things in the upcoming calendar year. Anyone want to come up with some relatively realistic writing goals?

I want to:
    • Write and polish one story per month
    • Finish my novel from last November
    • Write another novel this November
    • Edit at least one of my many novels to completion
    • Keep submitting stories and possibly a finished novel

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I want to finish my ding-dang novel and stop talking about being almost finished with my ding dang novel.

Sprints are ongoing in the IRC. Not right NOW because holidays, mostly, but people are usually there and hanging out and can prod buttock as needed. We can even make a schedule if enough folks are into it.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    A schedule of some sort would likely be very helpful to me since I haven't been doing well since Nano ended.

Though I probably couldn't seriously start until after the New Year, between holiday-stuff, switching over for 2014 at work, and playing with new presents.

I imagine most people can't.

We've mostly been doing sprints from about 2-4pm EST, sometimes also from around 10:30-midnight EST. I can run them concurrent with my in-person write-ins starting January 12 every other Sunday at 1pm, if people are interested.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    Sprints are ongoing in the IRC. Not right NOW because holidays, mostly, but people are usually there and hanging out and can prod buttock as needed. We can even make a schedule if enough folks are into it.

I finally snagged the info, so I know how to get to the IRC site, but right the now is family times.

My writing groups ARE unraveling, however, so I am definitely in need some something.

Sprints in the IRC around 2pm EST, if anyone wants in.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Okay, 2014's off to an okay start, as I actually got some writing done today.

Only ~1450 words, but better than most days since Nano ended.

Now to keep it up for the remaining 364 days.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    so I'm a morning person

I've always been a morning person

when I do NaNo I tend to write in the evening because I tell myself the quicker I get it done the quicker I can sleep

but today, I got to work early like I usually do (again, morning person!) and decided 'wait, you fat idiot, why don't you just write now before work'

so long story short I feel super good about getting my daily writing out of the way already today and plan to do this much more often for the foreseeable future

• WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    Nice! Keep up the good work

or else

4SMZq.jpg
    We're doing pretty consistent sprints in the IRC, in case anyone was wondering. Usually around 2pm EST, sometimes also around 10pm EST or a bit earlier/later.

I'm tweaking a short story based on some comments I just got back, then sending it out to F&SF, which is open to electronic submissions until the 14th for a guest editor. Also working on some ridiculous children's stories for funsies.

I wrote again this morning

and finally got everyone where they needed to be for the ending, which took foorrreeevvveerrr

that's what I got for essentially writing 'blah blah I'll work this part out later' on my structure

Sprints tomorrow in the IRC around 1pm est if anyone is interested in getting stuff done.

and two months after completing my original 90 pages, I now have a complete first draft of 122.5 pages

next week, I start making it good

Rock on, @YaYa.

So far this year, I've submitted six things and had three rejected; the other three are still waiting, along with two others that I subbed last year. I've written two new stories and worked on my novel. I feel good about not being a total sloth.