As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PlayStation] - This week: Strider and the Japanese PS4 launch

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    i don't get my ps4 until christmas day, but i will try out both of those free games
    after i get home from goddamned work

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    You should change your sig

Over a month in and I still haven't tried Resogun or Contrast yet

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular

contrast is bad, delete it

but what the fuck, Vow?!

go play Resogun!

YaYa wrote: »

contrast is bad, delete it

but what the fuck, Vow?!

go play Resogun!

Oh man some time warp shit here, because this is the first time I've been able to see this

Anyways

Nah

Saving it for a particularly rainy day

Shmups generally ain't my thing

Oh yeah!

Guess I should post what everyone's getting this month:

PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection for NA - January

Don't Starve (PS4)
    DmC: Devil May Cry (PS3)
    BioShock Infinite (PS3)
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3)
    Smart As... (Vita)
    Worms Battle Islands (Vita)

PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection for PAL - January

Don't Starve (PS4)
    DmC: Devil May Cry (PS3)
    Borderlands 2 (PS3)
    Soul Sacrifice (Vita)
    Blazblue: Continuum Shift (Vita)

Absolutely great month for both regions this month

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Pretty excited about free DMC and Brothers, I've been wanting to play both of those and free is about the price I can afford them at

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    I'm very excited to get some free games with Plus. I've wanted to play Don't Starve and Bioshock Infinite for a long time, but money has been very tight, partly because we've been saving for this shiny new PS4 :)

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Blacklight is good fun

Might use the free ten dollars you get to buy the riot shield and hatchet

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Hey so what's the deal with the instant collection? Are they only available for that month? Can you not play them when the month ends?

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    They go away after a period of time, but if you've added them to your collection, you will be able to download and play the games as long as you have an active Plus subscription. If you drop your subscription and start it up again later, you'll still have access when you resub.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    #pipe wrote: »
    Hey so what's the deal with the instant collection? Are they only available for that month? Can you not play them when the month ends?

You can play them as long as your Plus subscription is active. They're only available to purchase for that month.

You don't even need to fully download them right away. Just add the free game to your cart, purchase it for zero dollars, start the download, cancel it, and you can pick it back up again whenever you want to play it.

Edit: or what he said.

Maximum on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Hey is anybody planning to sell/trade in their old PS3? If so, and you have any extra wireless controllers, I would very much love to buy one off of somebody. I can match price, plus shipping. I've scoured the used electronics shops around here and can't find anything that's really cheap.

Just PM me and let me know. Please, and thank you.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    I kinda wanna pick up a Vita for soul sacrifice, gravity rush and tearaway. Trying to make a list of games I am interested in to see if there's more juice there. Any of you fellas got any recommendations?

4SMZq.jpg
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Persona 4 Golden

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    It's a psp game, but tactics ogre: let us cling together, is good.

VayBJ4e.png
  • existexist Registered User regular
    Wimble wrote: »
    I kinda wanna pick up a Vita for soul sacrifice, gravity rush and tearaway. Trying to make a list of games I am interested in to see if there's more juice there. Any of you fellas got any recommendations?

Frobisher Says!

UmPiq.png
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    so uh

where does one go to find these free Plus games? I got a 1-year plus sub when I got my PS4, but when I go to the Playstation Plus parts of the store the only things listed are the various duration Plus subscriptions.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    so uh

where does one go to find these free Plus games? I got a 1-year plus sub when I got my PS4, but when I go to the Playstation Plus parts of the store the only things listed are the various duration Plus subscriptions.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/free-games/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PSPLUSFREEGAMES

Wow, there are a ton of free games on ps3!

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Wimble wrote: »

Killzone: Mercenary is a pretty solid shooter and probably the best ever to grace a handheld.

Dragon's Crown has some pretty iffy art that upsets some people but is a fantastic game nonetheless.

• WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    It seems to me like the art in Dragons Crown is only an issue to people who like to talk about issues.

edited January 2014
    You seriously see nothing wrong with dragon crowns art

I could talk about just the problems with the witch for a half hour alone

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Yeah, I recently gave in to my curiosity and tried Dragon's Crown

A lot of the art is pretty horrid

But goddamn if it isn't a fun game

Hopefully someone will make less-gross versions of that sort of game sometime soon to be enjoyed by more

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Walt wrote: »
    It seems to me like the art in Dragons Crown is only an issue to people who like to talk about issues.

mermaid

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    I think I would pick up Dragon's Crown even if some of the art does bother me quite a bit. It doesn't bother me in the way games such as Dead or Alive does where I want to avoid it all cost on some kind of principle, so I can deal with it considering I've heard it's a good game and seen it has super amazing art outside of that stuff

4SMZq.jpg
    No one's perception of women has ever been shaped or validated by the artwork in Dragons Crown unless that person was already an irredeemable troglodyte.

The idea that games shouldn't be made targeting young males with sexuality is not soluble with reality, and the person who saw the mermaid in Dragon's Crown and decided women aren't people doesn't exist.

Who has the need to take up arms against it other than people who are looking for a case to make?

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Walt wrote: »
    No one's perception of women has ever been shaped or validated by the artwork in Dragons Crown unless that person was already an irredeemable troglodyte.

The idea that games shouldn't be made targeting young males with sexuality is not soluble with reality, and the person who saw the mermaid in Dragon's Crown and decided women aren't people doesn't exist.

Who has the need to take up arms against it other than people who are looking for a case to make?

Or

now stay with me here

people, specifically those who are let's say women, in general really really really really fucking hate this sort of shit because all it does is propagate terrible stereotypes and bad art in any kind of medium.

Stop peddling the "not soluble with reality" bullshit like nothing can ever be changed because you see it as cement. Remember when slapping a lady's ass was unironically acceptable in both real life and media? Yeah people thought it completely unrealistic to get rid of that fuckery because they thought it unfathomable to halt any sort of material that appealed to young men.

And guess what! You cannot possibly say people haven't/won't ever be shaped by bullshit art like this because you can ask a tonne of guys from previous generations, hell even my own, and when asked to think of their ideal lady they'll probably refer to some really dumb examples they've drawn from popular media. Some people think the designs of women like in Heavy Metal and christ most comic books today are completely in proportion with what women are supposed to look like, when even someone like Spider Woman is damn near completely fantastical.

This is a really fucking lazy argument to make, because it comes from the easiest possible place to criticise without a modicum of actual thought put into it, and it stems from some pretty damning preconceived notions.

I tend to see things as people issues and not media issues. You were exposed to exactly the same set of media, and yet you don't have ridiculous standards for women's bodies.

I don't think the Bible is bad because it propogates homophobia. I think vile, small minded people propogate homophobia and hide behind it as an excuse. I think charitable, loving people are inspired to perform amazing acts of kindness by the same book.

In much the same way, I don't think Dragon's Crown propogates misogyny any more than it propogates saving peasants or hoarding treasure.

And no, I don't think you will ever win at making people not make art featuring huge boobs any more than you will ever stop them from making art with huge dicks or severed heads.

The impasse is that I don't think media actually affects the minds of people as much as we want to believe it does, because I think saying you were influenced to do something does not absolve you of any personal responsibility or dilute your innate ability to choose. Simply taking away comic book sexuality or women in refrigerators will not help the perception of women in the world; having meaningful conversations about them with people absolutely will. Why invest energy in the former?

• ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    is urban trial freestyle supposed to be like trials evolution or something

Zandracon on
    Zandracon wrote: »
    is urban trial freestyle supposed to be like trials evolution or something
    that's exactly what it is

Anyone remember that statues they put out for Dragons Crown

Because those things were hilarious

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • StingeStinge Registered User regular
    I had a friend in high school that found anime girls so attractive he honestly felt no real life women could even come close. He even mentioned that on his very first(and as far as I know, only) date. That said, I think that's an extreme case and well outside of the norm. But it does happen.

tell us more about this friend

was their internet handle, perhaps, Stinge?

• StingeStinge Registered User regular
    Man, I don't even like anime!

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    So I guess we are waiting for JP to hit the 1st?

VayBJ4e.png
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Super excited about free Don't Starve!
    I've been scooping up all the free games every month in the hopes that I get a vita one day, and in case the Gaikai stuff lets you stream PS3 games you "own"

Psn tag is The_Road_Virus
    (original, right?)

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So I guess we are waiting for JP to hit the 1st?

It had already been the 2nd in Japan for almost 3 hours when you made this post.

If anyone wants to have their PSN tags in the OP, just post it in the thread and I'll scour and find it

@UnbreakableVow
    my psn is DouglasDanger

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    If anyone wants to have their PSN tags in the OP, just post it in the thread and I'll scour and find it

@UnbreakableVow
    my psn is Devlin_Dragonus

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.