As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pinny Pals Gaming: Killer Pinstinct

• Options
    S.A. LowellS.A. Lowell Registered User new member
    I will be attempting this later today. Wish me luck.

XBL: SA Lowell

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Well so far my Ranked Match streak stays at 2. I play two people my level (2), and then a 6. Really? What do I have to do for this, lose until I am ranked 0 and then hope I get easy matches? Matching me with someone 4 levels higher is bollocks. It also seems to take a long time to find a match, which makes me suspect it is just going "fuck it, random matchup."

I would much prefer it if it had been "participate in x Ranked matches" where x is more like 20, 40 or 50. Win 4 in a row is just a monster when the ranking is so varied. I feel like I have to find a ringer who will be able to help with this.

Am I wrong here? I'm open to the possibility that the ranking system will get better as more people join, but even so putting the Pin based on skill rather than participation does feel a little...off.

• Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Not wrong at all, I'm finding the exact same problems. Not to mention when I DO almost win, about 50% of the time the loser will quit just before match end making it not count...

This is kind of disappointing for the first challenge...would be better if matchmaking was better and if there were penalties for quitters

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I'm sure matchmaking will work a lot better after Christmas when there are a lot more people playing. Also, maybe just tomorrow, as news of the challenge spreads and more people hop in to win their pins.

Man, I wish the arcade sticks were more affordable and available - after playing through the first 12 training sessions in the dojo, my d-pad thumb is sore. And I hate using shoulder buttons/triggers in fighting games.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Challenge unlocked, pretty excited to see the pin in person in a month or so (hopefully?).
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    putting the Pin based on skill rather than participation does feel a little...off.

It's worth remembering that one of the original ways the Pin Ultimate Edition was described was as a sort of scrapbook for your achievements in the game. Showing off your awesome KI pins will be a lot more fun if you can point to one of them and tell a story about how you pulled a clutch win during the fourth game, culminating in a double Ultra Combo climax. Something like "I played in fifty ranked matches." just doesn't have that same feeling to it, you know?

These pins are very special in that regard. While anyone will be able to purchase them on their own... the guys who manage to earn them all (or heck, even just a few) will be able to take a little extra pride in their accomplishment. That's what makes these challenges special. Of course, I'm sure I'll change my tune further down the road when I hit a roadblock in one of the later challenges...
    Man, I wish the arcade sticks were more affordable and available - after playing through the first 12 training sessions in the dojo, my d-pad thumb is sore. And I hate using shoulder buttons/triggers in fighting games.

Argh, yes. I can't spend more than twenty minutes playing without my thumb revolting against me from the pains of the Xbox One's d-pad. I'm dropping an unfortunate amount of basic combos without a decent fightpad or stick.

vid on
    55ymlH2.png
  • Options
    On Dpads, am i the only one that thinks the new dpad is marginally WORSE than the 360? it sucked hard for sure but i dont remember my thumbs hurting this much...

and about fight sticks, ive changed my order from Amazon to an Australian pc and console store http://www.pccasegear.com/ which has the fight stick "in stock". Not sure if thats true just yet, but my amazon order hasnt moved for over a month, will still keep an eye on it to see if they restock, but id rather order from my country,

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    TheHonestHippoTheHonestHippo MicrosoftRegistered User regular
    PM me, we (Microsoft) will take care of you.

I just can't guarantee that you will have it before January though, as I am on vacation.

I can probably put you up on priority when it's restocked next week though.

or... They charged you because it's already on the way.

anyway, just PM me and we'll figure it out.
    vid wrote: »
    As excited as I am to go home and start trying to knock out this Pin Challenge, I don't think I'm ever going to purchase from the Microsoft Store again after the fiasco surrounding my Pin Ultimate Edition.

The story so far...

I pre-ordered the Pin Ultimate Edition the day it became an option. When the time for shipping came, my order was halted due to an error in my payment details. I tried fixing the payment information but was met with errors from the website each time I attempted to change any of my details. After several tries, I received a notification that my order had been cancelled. After a few hours on the phone and on chat with support, I was essentially told "Too bad, sorry about that." at which point I decided to suck it up and go to eBay (fortunately before the prices skyrocketed too much).

I sort of figured the whole adventure was over at that point... but today I noticed a charge on my billing statement. About a week ago, Microsoft charged me for the price of the Pin Ultimate Edition. That is to say... they charged me a week ago for an order that was wrongfully cancelled about a month ago. Sixty-four bucks that just disappeared into the aether without warning.

So... now I'm back on the line with support. Hopefully I get my money back, or can at least get my order fulfilled, so maybe I can trade the set to someone else who missed out.

Twitter: @HonestHippo
  • Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    It looks like GameStop has some TE2 sticks in stock online.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    For those already owning tournament sticks and not wanting to shell out for another one, I ordered this and am awaiting it to arrive. USB thumb stick that lets you use whatever controller you want. Works for Xbox One.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    vid wrote: »
    Challenge unlocked, pretty excited to see the pin in person in a month or so (hopefully?).
    putting the Pin based on skill rather than participation does feel a little...off.

It's worth remembering that one of the original ways the Pin Ultimate Edition was described was as a sort of scrapbook for your achievements in the game. Showing off your awesome KI pins will be a lot more fun if you can point to one of them and tell a story about how you pulled a clutch win during the fourth game, culminating in a double Ultra Combo climax. Something like "I played in fifty ranked matches." just doesn't have that same feeling to it, you know?

These pins are very special in that regard. While anyone will be able to purchase them on their own... the guys who manage to earn them all (or heck, even just a few) will be able to take a little extra pride in their accomplishment. That's what makes these challenges special. Of course, I'm sure I'll change my tune further down the road when I hit a roadblock in one of the later challenges...

Argh, yes. I can't spend more than twenty minutes playing without my thumb revolting against me from the pains of the Xbox One's d-pad. I'm dropping an unfortunate amount of basic combos without a decent fightpad or stick.

So, tonight I managed to get the 4 in a row. And yes, the fights were memorable, and I think I got a little better (I favour Orchid for the kick combos, even if her damage isn't the highest it is easy to string the moves together with her) so I have my first free KI Pin.

But I still think that the challenge Pins should be more about building community, at least to begin with. Sure, 50 Ranked fights wouldn't be as memorable, but it would mean that people would be more inclined to participate in Ranked matches and get the practice. Maybe something like "beat 3 of your friends in Exhibition matches" or "Rank up to level 2" as an opening challenge, and have the 4 in a row one further down the line.

I want people to be invested in getting the Pins through the Achievements rather than buying them, and the common refrain is "Well, looks like I'm buying this one" as they get pounded by a high ranking guy after two wins in a row. I really want it to be "Play Games, Get Pins" and not "Play Games, Get Discouraged, Buy Pins, Resent System." For one thing it's not nearly as catchy a slogan.

• Options
    Looks like my fight stick will arrive early next week, would have been here already if not for the Christmas break. Still working on the challenge, still only averaging 2 wins before getting paired up with someone much higher rank than me. Agreed id much rather win my pin fairly instead of buying, but im definitely not going to NOT BUY it if i still dont complete the challenge by month end.

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    Looks like my fight stick will arrive early next week, would have been here already if not for the Christmas break. Still working on the challenge, still only averaging 2 wins before getting paired up with someone much higher rank than me. Agreed id much rather win my pin fairly instead of buying, but im definitely not going to NOT BUY it if i still dont complete the challenge by month end.

I think mine was just luck. I got the first two wins as a Button Masher, (both Jago Button Mashers) and then I was a Free against a Free in the third (The guy had a shackled Sabrewulf, so I thought I was done for) and then my fourth was a Young Blood (Red Glacius with horns, I was having a heart attack the whole time) so I was just lucky that I got put against similar ranks who were actually meant to be around that rank.

Getting put against someone 8 levels higher sucks. And going against a similar rank who is new and should be way higher is bad luck, but can't be helped. I think time of day might help. Pick a time when you are less likely to run into hardcore players (anything after 10pm PST is almost certain to be a bloodbath).

• Options
    One thing that I think might help is if everyone in the thread could be on at the same time, one night a week. That would increase the chances of finding a friendly person rather than someone who delights in teabagging you as Sabrewulf. If the mood is lighter then maybe it won't be such a drain trying to get that elusive 3rd/4th win.

I was thinking 7:30pm PST to 8:30pm. Any takers? Is there a better time for everyone?

• Options
    But I still think that the challenge Pins should be more about building community, at least to begin with. Sure, 50 Ranked fights wouldn't be as memorable, but it would mean that people would be more inclined to participate in Ranked matches and get the practice. Maybe something like "beat 3 of your friends in Exhibition matches" or "Rank up to level 2" as an opening challenge, and have the 4 in a row one further down the line.

Pin challenges will be a mix of skill, community building and even in-person events. We want to make everyone happy.
    So yeah, don't worry, the next will be piece of cake compared to this first one.

• Options
    Also, regarding purchasing the pins. Will they be limited quantities like the limited editions, or will they be on sale for a period of time? Want to make sure so I don't miss out.

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    InsaneloonInsaneloon Jefferson City, MissouriRegistered User regular
    Got my achievement tonight - I think this was the best time to have a challenge like this be a Pin challenge, what with the player base being large and new and all learning the game at the same time. In a few months I'm not sure we'll have the same quantity of level 1 Jagos that we do now, and the challenge was difficult enough, what with dodging the match quitters and the random level 9 god player.

It would have been nice to receive a confirmation email when I registered so I know I'll be credited for the challenge completion, but other than that I'm having an enjoyable experience thus far. I can say having a pin as a reward made me very excited to play and get better, even on the nights I would go 0-8. Kudos to Microsoft and PA for coming together to make this happen!

• Options
    I seriously cannot wait for MORE pin ultimate editions for more games! Finally makes achievement hunting worth the effort imo.

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    I seriously cannot wait for MORE pin ultimate editions for more games! Finally makes achievement hunting worth the effort imo.

Hopefully, they only do this for games that they truly enjoy and not whoever slaps them with the biggest wad of money. This seems awfully tied to Microsoft at this point. Can they even do this on the PS4?

• Options
    Spy112Spy112 VancouverRegistered User regular
    Ya it takes me forever to find a game... Thought there would be more people on during the holidays.... I will be down for logging on at a certain time.

• Options
    EvilOtaku wrote: »

Hopefully, they only do this for games that they truly enjoy and not whoever slaps them with the biggest wad of money. This seems awfully tied to Microsoft at this point. Can they even do this on the PS4?

Ive never known PA to do something they werent invested in fully. They are no sellouts.

Had to login from my xbox to say I JUST COMPLETED THE CHALLENGE!!!!!!!! The last match had me on edge the whole time.played it super safe waiting for him to come to me. Played as sabrewulf for reference

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Contemplating picking up an Xbone today... ugh... maybe...

• Options
    edited December 2013
    My problem with earning this pin isn't fighting people who are too tough or rage quit, is finding people to fight, period. Seems crazy I can sit for 10 minutes without getting into a single ranked fight (and then give up waiting)

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Phew I got mine this afternoon. Was intense. Took me a while to find my games too. First 2 fights were new jangos. Third was against a high ranked saberwolf but seemed to be someone else cause he wasn't as good as I thought he would be. Last match was nuts. Saberwolf vs saberwolf I got destroyed the first round barely did any damage but somehow I was able to come back both of us at around 10% and finished it with an ultra. I had to save the replay.

I registered my pin edition online so now do I just wait for my email or is there something I am missing. How long does it usually take?

Such a great feeling in that last match.

Spy112 on
  • Options
    symmetricsymmetric Registered User regular
    Completed the challenge before Christmas yet still no email. My code was registered, but I already had the $40 version purchased. I hope I'm not screwed out of this.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    The thing I read said they'll send emails out when the contest ends mid January, so you got a few weeks until it's supposed to arrive.

Edit: Here it is:
    playxbla wrote:
    Once you’ve registered your Pin Ultimate Edition, it’s time to start the challenge! Earn the COMBO BREAKER pin by completing the “On a Roll” challenge starting on December 20th and ending on January 17th, 2014. To complete this challenge, you need to win 4 consecutive Ranked Matches!
    And remember, you have to complete the challenge and earn the achievement in the same LIVE account that you registered for the promotion and activated your KI Pin Ultimate Edition (using the provided 5×5).
    After the challenge period is over, keep an eye out for an email with directions on how to claim your new pin!

I just earned my pin! Turns out if you aren't finding anyone at all to fight against, it could be a bug that requires you hard-reboot the Xbox (I held the power button down until it turned off, and then unplugged/replugged it just to be sure).

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    symmetric wrote: »
    Completed the challenge before Christmas yet still no email. My code was registered, but I already had the $40 version purchased. I hope I'm not screwed out of this.

Symmetric, if you purchased the regular Ultra Edition, you must activate (as in scanning using the Kinect or typing it in) the 25-digit code that came with the box, and make sure that the Pin Ultimate Edition Add-On is part of your game collection. Registering into the promotion alone does not entitle you to get the pins (we cross-reference the digital product with the achievement and check if you did in fact register into the promotion in order to be able to legally send you emails).

• Options

Symmetric, if you purchased the regular Ultra Edition, you must activate (as in scanning using the Kinect or typing it in) the 25-digit code that came with the box, and make sure that the Pin Ultimate Edition Add-On is part of your game collection. Registering into the promotion alone does not entitle you to get the pins (we cross-reference the digital product with the achievement and check if you did in fact register into the promotion in order to be able to legally send you emails).

Is there anyway to check to make sure you completed all the steps? Like confirmation?

• Options
    EvilOtaku wrote: »

Awfully tied to MS? It is the first and only Pin Ultimate at this point. If you go by them having only released a single Pin Ultimate edition, yea, MICROSOFT EXLUSIVE OMG WTF SMH. But this is the only one out. They just started this. Why even suggest "awfully tied to" when there is nothing else out?

It has nothing to do with achievements. KI just happens to have an achievement that is basically the first pin requirement. Who ever said there has to be achievements tied to pin unlocks? Who said future Pin Ultimates have to have pin unlocks at all? They can do social media contests, online quizzes, and other things to potentially unlock pins. It isn't tied to achievements at all. Plus, doesn't PS4 have trophies?
    My problem with earning this pin isn't fighting people who are too tough or rage quit, is finding people to fight, period. Seems crazy I can sit for 10 minutes without getting into a single ranked fight (and then give up waiting)

If you are sitting for 10 minutes with the game searching, you are doing it wrong. If it doesn't find a game in like 20 seconds at most, back out and then search again. Sometimes it finds games, sometimes it doesn't. Back out and try again.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Awfully tied to MS? It is the first and only Pin Ultimate at this point. If you go by them having only released a single Pin Ultimate edition, yea, MICROSOFT EXLUSIVE OMG WTF SMH. But this is the only one out. They just started this. Why even suggest "awfully tied to" when there is nothing else out?

It has nothing to do with achievements. KI just happens to have an achievement that is basically the first pin requirement. Who ever said there has to be achievements tied to pin unlocks? Who said future Pin Ultimates have to have pin unlocks at all? They can do social media contests, online quizzes, and other things to potentially unlock pins. It isn't tied to achievements at all. Plus, doesn't PS4 have trophies?
    (we cross-reference the digital product with the achievement and check if you did in fact register into the promotion in order to be able to legally send you emails).

All I was saying was that i'm not even sure they can do this with PS4 trophies. This could very well change in the future. I hope it does come to PS4.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    redfield85 wrote: »

If you are sitting for 10 minutes with the game searching, you are doing it wrong. If it doesn't find a game in like 20 seconds at most, back out and then search again. Sometimes it finds games, sometimes it doesn't. Back out and try again.

Yeah, like I later said, it was due to a bug, either in KI or in the system, where it decides it can't find any online games at all, either exhibition or ranked, though it can do other internet things like pull up the high score boards. The solution is to hard-reboot the XBox One. I've had to do it twice so far.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    Looks like my TE fight stick is scheduled to arrive later today! Cant wait to try it out. Photos and review to come!

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    and make sure that the Pin Ultimate Edition Add-On is part of your game collection.
    BTW, the way to do this (took me a bit to figure it out) is to highlight the game in your menu, press the menu(start) button, and choose "Show All Addons". Mine lists two Addons for the game, Killer Instinct: Ultra Edition and Killer Instinct: PinUltimate Edition.

• Options
    My new toy
    2u6lglv.jpg
    Box
    2nsnejt.jpg
    Fight stick
    2eofec0.jpg
    Lights on!

Initial impressions after about an hour of playtime are great. First things i tested were the couple of issues i had while playing with controller. Firstly the L and R Bumper buttons, used for Heavy punch and all 3 punch, are now set as face buttons, so its much easier to press these. And the stick itself, on the controller i had alot of trouble doing the moves that require that Z shape movement (forward, down then diagonal) Now on the stick i was able to execute those much more frequently.

Overall it feels great, its heavy but isnt uncomfortable resting on your lap. You can open it up to tighten or loosen the resistance of the stick, or change and replace the buttons and even the cover art if you want. It comes with a screwdriver so you can easily do these mods yourself. I dont know what kind of standards pro's have, but for a non-professional / casual player like myself, out of the box is just fine for the moment.

For the $200US price it may be a bit much for an at the moment ONLY xbox one peripheral (there are adapters you can get to make them work on pc / other consoles, and i assume there will be some for xbone soon), but i figured ill be playing KI for a while, as long as the pin challenges are going, so i bit the bullet, and at the moment, am happy with my purchase :)

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options

@TheHonestHippo I completed the challenge, I have the achievement and I did register beforehand (possibly twice). However it would be nice to get some kind of feedback from the registration system because currently it doesn't let you know if it was successful or not. An email when you register, an email when you complete the challenge and another when the code is released would be good to have, as there are concerns with each step that something will have gone wrong. For example, am I registered? I used the Pin Ultimate code from the game box, but the AddOns menu showed that the Ultra Edition was installed, and the Pin Ultimate was not. I have installed it now to be certain for the next challenge, but now I have something else to worry about.

• Options
    For the $200US price it may be a bit much for an at the moment ONLY xbox one peripheral (there are adapters you can get to make them work on pc / other consoles, and i assume there will be some for xbone soon), but i figured ill be playing KI for a while, as long as the pin challenges are going, so i bit the bullet, and at the moment, am happy with my purchase :)

I've mentioned it a few times already. I bought the Xbox One adapter. It actually came in the mail today. I'll test it tomorrow with my SFIV tournament stick.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Cool, good to know for future reference

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    oh hey a thread on what I wanted to know

TheHonestHippo I completed the challenge, I have the achievement and I did register beforehand (possibly twice). However it would be nice to get some kind of feedback from the registration system because currently it doesn't let you know if it was successful or not. An email when you register, an email when you complete the challenge and another when the code is released would be good to have, as there are concerns with each step that something will have gone wrong. For example, am I registered? I used the Pin Ultimate code from the game box, but the AddOns menu showed that the Ultra Edition was installed, and the Pin Ultimate was not. I have installed it now to be certain for the next challenge, but now I have something else to worry about.
    Yeah. Not having a "hey welcome to the program" confirmation email was a minor, nagging concern of mine. If that's just how it is, that's...kind of sloppy, frankly.

Either way, challenge completed, looking forward to the next.

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    We'll send out notification emails shortly.

And just in time to bring closure to 2013, KI Pin Ultimate Editions are back in stock! Although in very limited supply.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Killer-Instinct-Pin-Ultimate-Edition-for-Xbox-One/productID.287694100

TheHonestHippo on
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    It's official: I've been playing for an hour and am convinced I am the worst person on XBL

• Options
    It's official: I've been playing for an hour and am convinced I am the worst person on XBL

Aggro, add me and we can vie for the title of Worst Pinny Players.