As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Secret Sif 2013 - Holiday gifts for gods and mortals

Secret SifSecret Sif Registered User regular
edited December 2013 in Graphic Violence
Midgardians!

I come to you to talk about...
HolidaySif_zps4a2a825f.jpg

In all the nine realms - save Muspelheim - winter is the time of holiday gifts and celebrations. When I was a girl, it was tradition to travel to Jotunheim, chase down a giant, defeat it in single combat, and present its head to your closest friend as a sign of love and respect - but your traditions are nice, too. Especially fun is the one about secret gift-giving; there's nothing more festive than coming home to find a surprise barrel of Nidavellir dark on your front steps, or maybe a severed berserker arm. I am here to remind you that the time for secret giving is nearly upon us, and encourage you to participate.

So, participate, or risk a gut full of sword.

WORTHY PARTICIPANTS
Crimsondude (sent a gift) (received a gift)
Delduwath (sent a gift)
TexiKen (sent a gift) (received a gift)
Nogs (sent a gift) (received a gift)
grim123 (sent a gift)
Grifter
cardboard delusions (sent a gift) (received a gift)

DEADLINE TO SIGN UP: November 27 - SIGN-UPS ARE OVER
(This way, Secret Sifs can be assigned on Thursday morning, and everyone can take advantage of Black Friday and Cyber Monday discounts when buying gifts; if folks think this is too short-notice, we can absolutely move the sign-up deadline to a later date)

DEADLINE TO SEND PRESENTS: December 31st
(This isn't really a hard deadline, but it's probably best not to delay too long - you'll keep your giftee uncertain of their gift-fate)

HOW TO SECRET SIF:
1) Post in this thread, saying that you are in.
2) Send me - Secret Sif - a private message, with your shipping address, and any special instructions.
3) It's probably a good idea to also post a list of comics that you already own (so that you don't get a duplicate by accident).
4) After the sign-up deadline passes, you will be sent a private message with the forum name and shipping address of the person you are to get a gift for.
5) Send out the present to that person as soon as you can; if possible, post in the thread to let us know you did so.
6) When you get your present, post about it in this thread to let your gifter know that you received it, and also to show off to the rest of us!

Sifsig_zpsa6064ba5.jpg
Secret Sif on

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I'm in.

My Wish List.

Crimsondude on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Yaaaaaayy

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Definitely in.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    In.

edit: here's my wishlist

Avengers Endless Wartime
    Any of the Ultimate Spider-Man stuff from the Miles Morales era
    Anything from IDW that isn't Locke and Key, Transformers, or TMNT (read those)
    Boom titles (outside of Bravest Warriors)
    Image books (outside of Manhattan Projects, Saga, East of West, Walking Dead). The Prophet and Glory stuff is interesting.
    Any of the smaller publishers or indie books is cool,
    Any kind of 1980's DC works that isn't the JLI or Superman stuff, or the big Batman stories

Really, I just like things that might be trying something new with the medium, maybe more humor oriented stuff.

TexiKen on
    IN!

rotate.jpg
  • Secret SifSecret Sif Registered User regular
    Midgardians!

I admit, I am sad to see so few stand forth and sign up for the gift exchange. I wonder why so many hesitate? If the issue is coin, I assure you that it does not take much to put a smile on a face, so long as it's presented with good will.

Do you proud warriors think it makes sense to extend the sign-up deadline in the hope that more people would sign up?

Sifsig_zpsa6064ba5.jpg
  • grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    Aye I shall stand and be counted

Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
    I say close it monday night

rotate.jpg
    And lo, SO IT SHALL BE.

Sifsig_zpsa6064ba5.jpg
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited December 2013
    Crap, is it too late to sign up for this?

[edit] Looks like I'm in before the extension deadline. Cool!

My Wishlist - http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/2HOFUWODVYWEL

Grifter on
    Indeed, the deadline will be at the end of Monday.

Or, more realistically, whenever I get to one of your Midgardian thinking-machines on Tuesday morning.

Sifsig_zpsa6064ba5.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'd enter this, but I'm in the part of my life where I just buy everything I want, when I want it. The only stuff I want that I don't buy is the stuff that hasn't come out yet, or the stuff I can't get a hold of due to being out of print. So while I guess my Secret Sif could scrounge around for whatever rare item I want, I really don't want them to given I wouldn't extend the same curtsey (Well, I would if I could, but there's no place around here that I can really scrounge around in. Otherwise I would have already :D)

I know where you're coming from, but honestly that's not why I value our Secret S-character events. The best part is when people get me stuff that I neeeeever would have gotten myself, not because I didn't want it, but because it wouldn't have even occurred to me to take a look at it. I feel like even though we all share recommendations for stuff we like on this forum, everyone still has that handful of books that they know about and no one else really does. Every year, I've gotten something cool that kind of opened my eyes to a new kind of story, or character, or creator. That's dope.

Also, I get a very strong sense of community from Graphic Violence. It's a bummer that we have fewer and fewer regular posters every year, but the ones who are here have good, considerate, interesting conversations that very rarely descend into goosery. I've never participated in a forum this much, this deeply, or for this long. It means a lot to me that we can sometimes put down the comics talk and just do something nice for each other, not on the comic-book-dork level, but just on a human level.

I think that as long as you don't send your giftee a live snake - and as long as you aren't sent a live snake - you're pretty much good. I wouldn't worry about making life hard for the person who's supposed to get you a present; they wouldn't sign up for this if they didn't feel up to the challenge.

• cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I will take part this year! Please let me be not too late

Wishlist WatXM are lowest on my list along with Hellboy I suppose.

Truly, on this day I have been beset by Jotun and Kronan alike - this is why I have been delayed. But, now I am here, and can announce that

SECRET SIF SIGNUP ARE OVER

Everyone who has posted in this thread so far will be part of the festivities. Expect to receive the names of your holiday targets within the next two days!

Sifsig_zpsa6064ba5.jpg
    edited December 2013
    I have been informed by the norns that to be able to "edit" "posts", one needs to make a minimum of five posts. I aim to test this prophesy.

Edit: The norns spoke true.

Secret Sif on
    Sifsig_zpsa6064ba5.jpg
    Sweet! I'll post some pictures of what I already own this evening.

Proud warriors! Messages with everyone's gift recipient assignments have been sent out! If, for some reason, you signed up for the gift exchange but did not get a message from me, please let me know!

Sifsig_zpsa6064ba5.jpg
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Due to my Santa's generosity last year I'm stepping up my Santee's haul. Tis the season.

Hmmm.

I'll put up the list of comics that I own either tonight or tomorrow.

Don't mind the fact that I lied blatantly in my previous post, and am putting up my list of comics a day late.

Here we go!
    (Paul Pope's) 100%
    20th Century Boys
    365 Samurai and a Few Bowls of Rice
    99 Ways to Tell a Story: Exercises in Style
    A + X
    Acme Novelty Library
    Action Philosophers
    Adventure Time
    Agents of Atlas
    All-Star Superman
    Amazing Joy Buzzards
    American Splendor
    Amulet
    American Born Chinese
    The Anchor
    Animal Man (Morrison's run)
    Annihilation
    The Annotated Mantooth
    Asterios Polyp
    Atomic Robo
    Banana Sunday
    The Big Book of Barry Ween
    Arkham Asylum
    Batman: Dark Victory
    Batman: Gotham by Gaslight
    Batman: Knight and Squire
    Batman: The Long Halloween
    Batman: Year One
    Batman: Year 100
    Batman and Son
    Batman R.I.P.
    Batman: the Return of Bruce Wayne
    Batwoman: Elegy
    Beasts of Burden
    Black Hole
    Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes)
    Bone
    Boxers and Saints
    Captain America (Brubaker's run)
    Casanova
    Chew
    Chronicles of Wormwood
    Conan
    Criminal
    Daredevil (Mark Waid's run)
    Daytripper
    Doctor 13: Architecture & Mortality
    Doom Patrol (Morrison's run)
    The Engineer: Konstruct
    Ex Machina
    Fables
    Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser
    Fantastic Four (Hickman's run)
    FF (Hickman's run)
    Fell
    Final Crisis
    The Five Fists of Science
    Flight
    Flex Mentallo
    Ghost Rider (Jason Aaron's run)
    Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps War
    The Goon
    G-Man
    Hack/Slash: First Cut
    Harry 20: On the High Rock
    Hawkeye (Fraction's run)
    Hellboy
    High Roads
    Hitman
    The Homeland Directive
    I Kill Giants
    Immortal Iron Fist (Fraction + Brubaker's run)
    The Incal
    Incredible Hercules
    Iron West
    Jimmy Corrigan the Smartest Kid on Earth
    JLA (Morrison's run)
    JSA Presents: Stars and STRIPE
    Ka-Zar (Waid's run)
    Kickback
    King City
    Kingdom: The Promised Land + Call of the Wild
    Kingdom Come
    Korgi
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
    The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck
    Level Up
    Little Vampire
    Locke & Key
    Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers
    The Losers
    Maintenance
    Maus
    Mighty Skullboy Army
    Mini-Marvels
    Mesmo Delivery
    Monster Zoo
    Mort: a Discworld Big Comic
    Mouse Guard
    Multiple Warheads
    Mysterius the Unfathomable
    New Frontier
    New Invaders: To End All Wars
    The Nightly News
    Northlanders
    Nova
    Orc Stain
    The Order
    Owly
    Pax Romana
    Penny Arcade print volumes
    Phonogram 1 + 2
    Planetary
    Promethea
    Prophet: Remission
    Proof
    Punisher Max
    Queen & Country
    Robotika
    Richard Stark's Parker: The Hunter, The Outfit, The Score
    Saga
    Sam & Max Surfin' the Highway
    Sandman
    Scarlet Spider
    Scott Pilgrim
    Scott McCloud's books on comics
    Scud the Disposable Assassin: The Whole Shebang
    Secret Six
    Seven Soldiers of Victory (Morrison)
    Shazam: The Monster Society of Evil
    Spider-Man: Reign
    Starman Omnibus
    Suburban Glamour
    Superman Birthright
    Swamp Thing (Alan Moore's run)
    Tale of Sand
    Avengers Disassembled: Thor
    The Mighty Thor (Walt Simonson's omnibus)
    Top 10
    Transformers: Last Stand of the Wreckers
    Transhuman
    Transmetropolitan
    Tumor
    Ultimates
    Umbrella Academy
    The Unwritten
    V for Vendetta
    Vimanarama
    Vision Machine
    Road to War of Kings
    War of Kings
    War of Kings: Warriors
    Watchmen
    Who Is Jake Ellis?
    Wolverine: Get Mystique
    Wonton Soup
    Astonishing X-Men (Whedon's run)
    New X-Men (Morrison's Run)
    Y: The Last Man

That's what I have in collected volumes. In terms of single issues, you can pretty much assume that I have everything from Marvel and DC that I might wand from the past... 5 years, let's say. Maybe even 10 years, even. I've been dipping into Image here and there, as well. I realize that this makes it hard to shop for me, and I apologize for that. Let me list a couple of things that I'm interested in:
    1) I hear Uncanny X-Men is good
    2) Kieron Gillen's X-Men run (even though Gillen is one of my favorite writers, I somehow managed to not read any of his X-Men)
    3) A good fantasy comic. I've got a bit of sword-and-sorcery in the form of Conan, and Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, so I could do with some high fantasy. There's a Pathfinder comic, that seems interesting. Skullkickers, also?

My favorite thing about the GV Secret Santas, though, is being introduced to some obscure comic that I never would have thought to pick up for myself. You know that weird, obscure comic that you love that no one's ever heard of? That. I want to read that.

Delduwath wrote: »
    My favorite thing about the GV Secret Santas, though, is being introduced to some obscure comic that I never would have thought to pick up for myself. You know that weird, obscure comic that you love that no one's ever heard of? That. I want to read that.

this

rotate.jpg
    Sent my gift out, someone's gonna have comics all over their face by week's end.

How's that for Christmas spirit?!

I really need to mail my stuff, I guess I can shuffle over to the post office tomorrow during lunch. I've had it here at my desk, it's just heavy so I didn't feel like going in the rain.

edited December 2013
    Thanks @Crimsondude ! Got Chew 7, Saga 1&2 and Hawkeye 2 TPBS! My fiance decided to open it for me since I was at my company holiday party.

Edit - mailed my gift to the lucky recipient the tracking number is here it should update soon :)

Edit 2x: I jut got Hawkeye #1 and Nowhere Men! Thanks Men, multiple delivers is sure fun!
    GiftGet4b.gif
    B5pZt9v.jpg?1

cardboard delusions on
    edited December 2013
    picked up books they are waiting to be boxed and shipped.
    hope my Santee likes them I went way left field lol
    oh also guess I forgot to post my wants I haven't really bought anything since last year.
    so my santa can just check last years post and my wish list for ideas.
    I'm like a year behind on all marvel and dc. last thing I read was the court of owls. still haven't made it to death of the family and haven't read any of the marvel re-launch

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
    books have been sent!

but its international shipping so im not sure if they will get there by christmas.

ALSO! I got my comics. I'll post them here in a second

rotate.jpg
    l5ms.jpg

zwwq.jpg

hd5g.jpg

w39j.jpg

tex0.jpg

rvjx.jpg

wj3k.jpg

cplz.jpg

4z22.jpg

jvit.jpg

r3ot.jpg

qdet.jpg

g8hb.jpg

all I can say is

holy shit TekiKen! This is more than I ever would have even dreamed for! I haven't read any of these and I am insanely excited to go through them

YOU ROCK!

rotate.jpg
    That looks like a pretty great set of books!

edited December 2013
    I received my gift today, and there's no delusions that this card's gift won't make me board.
    /Shalit

Cardboard Delusions sent me a great gift of stuff I've never read before:
    4e0e6a88-d14f-47aa-9549-05bc3636587b_zpsd65280e8.jpg

-Sullivan's Sluggers' super duper hardcover slipcase edition (!)
    -Ultimate Spider-Man (Miles') vol. 1 TPB
    -Doctor Strange/Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment TPB
    -The Last of Us: American Dreams prequel comic to the game

Thanks CD, you get a CGC grade of 10, no Krampus for you!

TexiKen on
    Thanks @Crimsondude ! Got Chew 7, Saga 1&2 and Hawkeye 2 TPBS! My fiance decided to open it for me since I was at my company holiday party.

Edit - mailed my gift to the lucky recipient the tracking number is here it should update soon :)

Edit 2x: I jut got Hawkeye #1 and Nowhere Men! Thanks Men, multiple delivers is sure fun!
    GiftGet4b.gif
    B5pZt9v.jpg?1

I hope you enjoy them.

edited January 2014
    and we're back!
    why does our SS never make the xmas hangout?

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2013
    So here's the haul from @grim123's gift. For scale, that writing table is four feet wide.

THANKS, DUDE!

th_2013-12-27174027_zpsd1a8f38f.jpg th_2013-12-27174356_zps8f32ff36.jpg th_2013-12-27174342_zps27a34571.jpg th_2013-12-27174219_zps3a7f2f7f.jpg th_2013-12-27174153_zpsf0d80ecf.jpg th_2013-12-27174120_zps85367a4b.jpg th_2013-12-27174111_zps851103b7.jpg th_2013-12-27174100_zps9344558f.jpgth_2013-12-27174047_zps5e6be59a.jpg
    th_2013-12-27174439_zps52b293cd.jpg

Crimsondude on
    So, I finally got my ass in gear and put together a gift package via Amazon.com. According to them, it should arrive at my gift recipient's house on Thursday, January 2nd; I like to think of it as starting the new year off the right way.

edited December 2013
    Hey glad they made it. The mails been so funky lately.
    Read scarlet traces it's so good, and theres a sequel.

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
    Finally got around to sending this out today. It should be there on January 2nd thanks to the free 30 days of Amazon Prime that I was able to get this month.

Apparently, Amazon decided to break up my gift-order into three separate packages, and deliver them on three separate days. Because this makes total sense when sending a gift package.

Anyway, the first package (containing one book) was sent out today, and is allegedly going to arrive tomorrow. Another package with a couple more books is "preparing for shipment", and has an estimated delivery date of January 2nd. The third package, also with one book, is in the "not yet shipped" stage, and has a delivery estimate of "December 31st - January 2nd". So... gonna rain presents on you, buddy.

The note that actually has my name on it looks like it'll be in the second package, so either (1) you will wait in suspense, dear gift recipient, or (2) you will deduce it's from me given this extensive explanation.

Thru the power of deductive reasoning I have deduced that @dalduwath is my secret SIf.
    20131231_195523_zpsw3amulx7.jpg
    20131231_195750_zps1vi2sfaw.jpg
    Thanks I've been wanting to read flex mentallo for the longest time always love Morison's writing
    and Frank Quietly art is amazing
    so If I'm right I should receive a second box on the second; and a third whenever? lol

Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
    That's a cute cat.