As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for Advice from past PAX attendees.

SoulMusic51SoulMusic51 Registered User new member
So I have been looking at going to PAX for awhile now, and I will be attending PAX:Prime West come August. I have been working with some friends to develop car and hotel pools and it eventually came down on me to set up and plan everything (not that I mind). So I am looking to get a group of 12 people to PAX. I have already booked the hotel rooms and set up transportation. The biggest hurdle I see is tickets. I remember there being rules about the amount of tickets one person can buy. Can you guys think of a reliable way to secure tickets for my group?

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I think really the only way is to have everyone try to get tickets (or a select group of 3-4) or budget for scalped ones.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    You can email pax_questions@paxsite.com about the possibility of grabbing group tickets.

If that doesn't pan out, I'm pretty sure it's been 4 tix per purchase previously, so you'd need more of your friends to join in on the buying.

If that doesn't work, then scalp prices actually aren't all that bad. Just don't buy them right after they run out. Wait until like two weeks before PAX when people start getting the tix in the mail and suddenly the prices crater.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Just so you know, the 3 day pass to PAX East sold out in 30 minutes, but the single day tickets for each of the 3 days could be had for a good 24 hours (at which point, Saturday tickets were sold out). I and pretty much everyone I know were too late for the 3 day pass, so we all purchased single day tickets for each of the 3 days.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    If you don't get your hands on the multi-day passes and you aren't from Seattle, don't fret either. The year I went, I loved my 3-day pass, but I also wouldn't have minded a day where I got to explore the city and surrounding area. So, there's that option too if everyone in your group can't all get the multi-day pass.

• Options
    tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular
    I went to PAX east last year and I am going again this year-while the showroom floor was awesome, Its there all three days. Try to save it for sunday-go to the panels/events the first couple of days instead. Sunday the show floor was generally less packed and much easier to get around. I'm not sure if this applies to PAX Prime as much but the showroom was much less packed on sunday.

jAhPU.jpg
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Follow Official_PAX on twitter . Especially before tickets go on sale.

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Sign up to the Magical Mystery Tour as well - and the Schlitzkreig if it happens - they're both good ways to see more of Seattle and to meet people before PAX starts. Have fun!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    The tickets are hands down going to be the biggest challenge

4 years ago it was no big deal getting tickets, but something changed in the past two years and now its pure insanity. Since the tickets have started selling out the same day, I think its unlikely that you'll be able to purchase a ticket bundle.

BUT if you're prepared then I think you can succeed. Stay alert for when the tickets are getting ready to go on sale, make sure you know the date and time. Get all your friends prepared as well, as soon as those tickets go on sale you and your friends should all be trying to connect. I've done this before for san diego comic con, and even though it was for a smaller group, we all managed to get the tickets we wanted.

If someone doesn't manage to tickets for all three days and can only get for instance two singles, then its still ok! Seattle is an awesome city and it can be nice to have a con break to just to some regular sightseeing.

I didn't actually think you could scalp tickets because I thought they had your name on them, but I could be mistaken. I haven't been to PAX in awhile!

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Nope, no names on badges last year. They do have anti-counterfeiting measures, though, as two years ago there was a huge problem with fake badges.

• Options
    I didn't get any response from pax_questions@paxsite.com, how early are ticket sales announced before they go on sale?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2014
    They were probably on vacation for the holidays. They don't respond immediately. I usually give them a week, and if I don't get a response in a week I send another email.

Tickets are almost never announced before they go on sale. They did that for PAX East 2014 sales as an experiment, announcing 24 hours prior to sales. I don't expect them to do that again, but they might surprise me.

We have a fairly extensive pax section of these forums btw, you might want to read through some of the FAQ threads over there for general info.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    If they don't announce the tickets before they go on sale, how does anyone know when to look for them??

Just like, pure sheer luck?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    They generally post something on the websites and twitter I think too.

Aldo, pressing F5 repeatedly helps.

• Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    If they don't announce the tickets before they go on sale, how does anyone know when to look for them??

Just like, pure sheer luck?

Here's how I get PAX passes within 10 minutes of them being on sale:

Step 1: Make a twitter.com account if you don't already have one

Step 2: Go to the "mobile" section under user settings. Set up twitter with your phone number and make sure you check the box for "Tweets from people you've enabled" (you don't need a smartphone, just a regular cellphone that can receive text messages)

Step 3: Go to the @Official_PAX twitter page, and click on the follow button. Then under the "user actions" menu (the button next to follow) click "turn on mobile notifications"

Now you'll get a text message as soon as the tickets go on sale!

(this wasn't my idea, someone on the PAX forum suggested it)

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Actually, if you are going the twitter route, add @rkhoo to your twitter feed, in addition to @Official_PAX.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    Pure Din wrote: »

Here's how I get PAX passes within 10 minutes of them being on sale:

That's excellent to know! Thank you! I was wondering where people got their info

• Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    hsu wrote: »
    Actually, if you are going the twitter route, add @rkhoo to your twitter feed, in addition to @Official_PAX.

Definitely this, they were actually announced on Khoo's twitter before the official one this year for East

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    well you probably won't want tweets from robert texted to your phone until it's at least *somewhat* close to pax sale time.

• Options
    Good information on the texts from twitter, I was just about to ask about that! :D