As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Toasty's adventure world [GIF heavy]

• ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Here's the last set of thumbnails, the alphabet provided a convenient stopping point:

env_foliage_cover_q-z_01.jpg

Toasticus on
  • SpaceMooseSpaceMoose Registered User regular
    Liking what I'm seeing with the foliage thumbs. Can't wait to see where you take them.

• TamTam Registered User regular
    the baobabs
    are
    the best
    obabs

edited July 2015
    Here's a rough color test for my first choices to continue developing

foliage_colortest.jpg

Toasticus on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    These look awesome! Nice and varied but also like they could grow in the same world. As far as 'evocative of earth but strange and surreal', some hit this better than others. The giant fungal and leafy shapes are a little more in line with that, whereas the trees kind of look more like normal earth trees. Awesome work!

Thanks! Yeah, I'm keeping a few recognizably normal things in to give the overall feeling a bit more grounding. I think it'll also be nice for a bit of contrast -- after all, if everything is weird then nothing is weird!

Decided to switch things up for a bit and work on this dude in 3D

mech_untitled_wip_01.jpg

• lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Toasticus wrote: »
    Thanks! Yeah, I'm keeping a few recognizably normal things in to give the overall feeling a bit more grounding. I think it'll also be nice for a bit of contrast -- after all, if everything is weird then nothing is weird!

Yeah, that does make sense!

edited January 2014
    Still plugging away at the high poly for that mech, but in the meantime here is a mockup of what the game UI could look like:

UI_prototyping_02.jpg

Toasticus on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    So........fuggin........awesome!!

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    these are cool!

I don't really have anything else to add!

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • M2tMM2tM Registered User regular
    Beautiful mock-ups! Is this an actual game in development?

"We can be richer than industry as long as we know that there are things that we don't really need." -Willy Mason
    hey thanks folks! :)

@M2tM yes indeed, I have a prototype in Unity that I'm prepping to do a 3D art pass for

edited July 2015
    update on that mech model, still WIP but I'm going to let it sit for a bit while I refocus on other stuffs

mech01_wip_render_800px.jpg

mech02_wip_render_800px.jpg

Toasticus on
    edited July 2015
    working on in-game terrain shaders and such

terrain_wip_01.jpg
    terrain_wip_02.jpg

I have different plans for the cracks, and for getting better/more variation, but it's good enough for now so I'm moving on to the perplexing problem of modular but organic-looking cliff pieces

Toasticus on
  • sampangolinsampangolin Registered User regular
    Reminds me of making custom maps in red alert to play over LAN! There were like 2 or 3 different 'coast' pieces so you always ended up making patterns.

EoFfztN.png

Is custom maps the plan here or is the modularity to make it easier for you to build the levels?

Haha, yep! I remember making a few custom Red Alert maps back in the day.

This is mostly just for my own level-building so I can crank out a game world the size of a small country in a reasonable amount of time. Usually in modern game art you would do something like a giant cliff face by combining a large terrain shape with a lot of detailed, hand-sculpted rock chunks that you smash into the surface at various scales and rotations (see Skyrim), but that would take way too much work for me to do in the long term here.

I don't have any plans for custom maps right now, but a locked-in modular piece system like this does make stuff like a map editor or even random-generated maps a real possibility down the line as well.

edited July 2015
    A paintover exploring how I'd like the modular cliff to look

cliffs_paintover.jpg

Toasticus on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    If you don't mind me asking, what are your implements? I'm hoping to get in to drawing and really resolving artworks like yours. A Cintiq I would guess? but also which programs do you use? I have a degree in Industrial Design but they never taught us computer artwork

The Black Hunter on
    Just a mid-sized Intuos 4. I've used Cintiqs for a couple years and they're nice, but I can certainly live without one. I use Photoshop for all my 2D work, and 3DS MAX is my primary 3D app. I also use zbrush for edge cases where I need to sculpt something, such as the above canyons, which I'm currently working on sculpting in 3D now.

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Toasticus wrote: »
    Just a mid-sized Intuos 4. I've used Cintiqs for a couple years and they're nice, but I can certainly live without one. I use Photoshop for all my 2D work, and 3DS MAX is my primary 3D app. I also use zbrush for edge cases where I need to sculpt something, such as the above canyons, which I'm currently working on sculpting in 3D now.

Thank you very much! I have begun looking at stuff like the Yiynova and such, cheaper versions of the Cintiqs and I might pull the trigger on one.
    The gifs you've put up are going to be really helpful for seeing the process of this sort of thing, so thank you again!

Here's what I've got for the cliffs at the moment. It's ended up a lot noisier than I'd like compared to the concept, but I might be able to take another crack at cleaning it up later on. This is one tiling piece deformed to various shapes -- inside corner, outside corner, etc.

13-12-07.jpg

edited July 2015
    fun render of a wip chemical tank thing

cylinder_render.jpg

Toasticus on
    edited July 2015
    another chemical tank prop. realized that I should have scale reference in the scene while I'm working

chem_tank_render.jpg

Toasticus on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Goddamn your thread. Its like, all this awesome 3d work getting done in here, and my brain is like "You could be doing some 3D right now!" But its a trap, because I cant do any 3D, I hate it.

What I am trying to say is I like everything that's going on in here. I wish I had more to say, some actual crits, or helpful words, but its way out of my realm.

aw haha! well thanks Laura :D

3D art is just art, so it's totally still in your realm to give crits or suggestions. But yeah, a lot of this stuff is still early or midway through the 3D production process, which is very different from 2D art processes and probably is making it a lot harder to crit.

I think of 3D art kind of like how the famous chef dude in Ratatouille did about cooking, anyone can do it! But certainly, not everyone will enjoy it, and if you don't enjoy it there's no sense in punishing yourself trying to learn it.

I'll try to post more behind-the-scenes stuff and not just renders :)

I would love to see more of your process, and in general would like for the board to be more welcoming to 3d folk, so I'm glad you're here.

You should think about getting a robot printed, just for funsies. It would be a cool toy to have.

Another update on the cliff/canyon pieces, plus a shot showing some of them split apart:

tumblr_mxviaukwl91se2q65o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mxviaukwl91se2q65o2_1280.jpg

The top surface uses a separate shader from the sculpted section, and that shader is mapped in world-space rather than relative to the model. That means the texture on the top surface doesn't need to repeat the same way that the vertical edge along the cliff face does. So for example, on the left-most piece in the split-up picture, that faint cracked surface that's on the flat top could turn into a swirly sand surface if I moved that piece away from that particular spot.

Iruka wrote: »
    I would love to see more of your process, and in general would like for the board to be more welcoming to 3d folk, so I'm glad you're here.

You should think about getting a robot printed, just for funsies. It would be a cool toy to have.

Hmm actually yes I've been meaning to get on your case about this oversight, the flatness bias around here is kind of offensive and I'm very sensitive about my extra dimension. I got teased a lot in school. It didn't help that I was visible from every angle.

Oh man! A 3D printed model of one of my mech dudes would be soooooo coooooooooool *brain explode*

I put together a thing that goes over some of the process I used to make the cliff pieces, hopefully it's not totally incomprehensible.
    Part 2 in the spoiler!

tiling_cliff_sculpt_steps_p1.jpg
    tiling_cliff_sculpt_steps_p2.jpg

edited July 2015
    Made a paintover to explore how to integrate grass and plants into the environment:

plateau_paintover.jpg

So, I think I could really use some crits and suggestions on this because I've been sort of staring at this particular setting for so long. Plus, foliage in general is a subject I'm not super familiar with.

Generally, what I'm aiming for is a sort of out-of-control overgrowth, but this paintover feels very tame. And I mean, it'd be fine for some areas to feel tame like this, but it's the really overgrown stuff that I most want to figure out, so that I can easily dial it back instead of constantly pushing myself to get some crazier looking foliage. Another concern is that the proportions and colors might be pushing it to look kind of cartoony, which is not what I want. I want the game to be colorful, but maybe more from lighting and post-process rather than so much from individual object coloration like this.

For now I'm just going to switch over to working on mechs and give this a bit of rest, but I think I need to gather more jungle reference. The tricky part is that standard Earth jungles aren't enough, it needs to look a bit alien looking as well. Hmm hmm.

Toasticus on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    *looks at mech commander 2 disk*
    *looks at your art*
    *clicks subscribe*
    *drools*

I think right now things are so painterly it may be skewing your idea of what looks cartoony. The growth down the side of the rocks looks great. The larger grass-like plants may be messing with the scale. They look to much like grass and make everything else look toy-like. I would make that plant more obviously alien. You might want to add some people-sized things to help with scale too. You can add doors, ladders, windows, whatever is appropriate.

Iruka wrote: »
    I think right now things are so painterly it may be skewing your idea of what looks cartoony. The growth down the side of the rocks looks great. The larger grass-like plants may be messing with the scale. They look to much like grass and make everything else look toy-like. I would make that plant more obviously alien. You might want to add some people-sized things to help with scale too. You can add doors, ladders, windows, whatever is appropriate.

Spot on! A ladder up the side of one or two of the tanks would be perfect, and some kind of scale detail on the big blue plants, like turning them into some kind of fern, would do wonders. Thanks!

So I'm trying out a different way of designing mechs that is more improvisational and (most importantly) should allow me to make models both more quickly and to a higher level of detail. You basically set up a library of detailed pieces that you attach together in interesting ways. I've done this before with just small scale elements -- hatches, vents, bolts etc., but never on a significant scale where large chunks are intersecting. But after a bit of modeling some new big shapes with built-in details and ripping apart some models I've already made, I started putting some pieces together and quickly came up with this:

kitbash_mech_design_01.jpg

Here's a screen showing most of the parts in my little library so far:

kitbash_mech_parts.jpg

This particular design is going to be a utility mech rather than front-line bruiser, so I'll be giving him some kind of spindly grabby arms and stuff. Should be pretty cool. I think I'll do a quick paintover at some point. I really like this new process, it's a lot more fun and dynamic than struggling to interpret and manually detail-up a 2D sketched design.

edited January 2014
    Got a couple more textured models now:

tumblr_myzi7g3uiO1se2q65o1_1280.jpg

And some paintovers of simple 3D blockouts:

industrial_paintover_crop_01_sm.jpg

Toasticus on
    Argh, my webhost is on the fritz. I'll go back and fix up the links at some point.

in the meantime, more blockout paintovers:
    tumblr_mzgnu2U59a1se2q65o1_500.jpg

annnnnnnd I'm working on a new concept art piece:
    ANCIENT.jpg

• mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    I'm loving the scale and design of the ship so far! Very nice :)

Thanks Mike!

Got a progress update:
    ANCIENTv4.jpg

Alright, it's pretty much done!

ANCIENT_1200px.jpg

Started getting a bit stir-crazy from working on this so long, but this is such an important image for me I think it's worth it. :) Please don't hold back if you have any crits!

Oh, I gotta remember to put some faded text on the side of the ship or something.

Looks real good dude.