As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wireless Adapter requires assigned IP to function...help?

XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
So my wireless adapter (Netgear N150 WNA1100-100ENS) says it's connected to the Gateway and has internet access, but it actually doesn't have internet access and it loses the Network information it's connected to and re-identifies it on and off. Other PC's connected wirelessly function correctly.

Manually entering an IP (192.168.1.200), Subnet Mask (255.blahblah) and DNS (googles) information for the IPv4 settings fixes all this. Works fine. Except my crap gateway then doesn't see the PC in the firewall settings so can't route stuff through. Edit: Turns out if I'm real fast I can set the firewall rules, it just 'forgets' the IP after like 5 seconds or something after a device scan...but still, wth...

Resetting TCP/IP with netsh and disabled IPV6 (and rebooting and reconnecting to the gateway manually...) didn't help. I'm out of ideas and googling so far is fruitless. So this is where you go "I had this once, you just...".

Xeddicus on

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Just so I'm clear, your wireless device is set up for DHCP and gets an IP but consistently disconnects and reconnects?

You can assign it a static IP which works but your router (I'm guessing you're on AT&T?) only forwards external requests to incoming computers that it knows about, which, your computer being statically assigned, is not in your router's "view".

That sound about right?

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, on all counts. Except it IS in view for like 5 seconds upon a device scan, and after assigning an IP it still all works fine using this speedy-workaround (scan for devices, switch to firewall rules, pick the IP off the device list). So now at least it's just an annoyance instead of I'm screwed. Just if I switch everything to automatic to use DHCP from the Gateway it dies.

Xeddicus on