As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Wednesday, January 1, 2014 - Primal

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited January 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Everything is on Amazon Prime, lol, I love all the facial expression this one has, it looks good

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Now I'm just curious exactly what lamp is so vital.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

It is a delicious, delicious lampooning of many people's sense of entitlement.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

VkpqfSUl.png

• RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular

The lamp is a lie.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This is a good comic.

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    News post is pretty good too.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • BrymBrym Registered User regular
    Is there any place to find all of the Penny Arcade Report content now? I knew they were shutting it down, but I didn't expect them to scrub all of the archives off the site. Makes me even sadder than before.

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    He loves lamp.

• FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    Oh my god, Mike's resolutions post. I can't even begin to say how much I identify with what he is going through. It's so hard not to verbally abuse people when you grow up that way. I wish I could turn it off too. It's fucking hard.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    Throughout the "Resolutions" post, I kept expecting Mike to say he was leaving Penny Arcade, or something equally horrifying. Instead, I got refreshingly honest introspection from one of my favorite webcomic artists. So that was nice.

Though I must disagree on one point: While the PAX may be bigger and more important than Mike or Jerry or Penny Arcade as a whole, I would be devastated to finally make it to the PAX (I've been fantasizing ever since moving to 'the lower 48') and discover neither of my gaming-community heroes participated much anymore.

Please, I beg you, Mike and Jerry, do not ever remove yourselves completely from this thing. I can understand distancing yourself, since not everyone appreciates PA for what it is (as evidenced by the reactions to the loss of PAR and PATV), but PAX is your thing. It may have grown up, but it's still yours.

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So I read through the post... and a lot of it resonated. I wasn't the bully; I was the guy who took the slings and let it seep into my subconcious to a level that has taken me years to finally believe in myself. Participating in threads around the forums, I've seen what Mike's actions have caused, and the deep hurt that still resides out there.

Yet the line that struck out to me was how he said this was something he has to figure out by himself. I get what he means, in terms of he's the only person who can change himself. But he is in no way alone. Ignoring the obvious of his wife, kid, and close family and friends, well.. I'm sure everyone in the greater PA family would be willing to help on some level, even if it's as simple as staying out of the way. I recognize that Mike & Jerry don't read the forums, but.. just like any part of this community, We're all here to help. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Spiffy McBangSpiffy McBang Registered User regular
    I was the kid that just took it all growing up, and to be perfectly honest, that's not much better for your adult mind than throwing up a shell and being quick to swing back.

Anyway, as much as I would want to see Mike and Jerry being front and center whenever I finally make it to a PAX, if Mike has solid reason to feel like it's hurting PAX (or Child's Play) for him to be at all front and center, it's hard to say he shouldn't. I hope at minimum they continue to do some kind of panel, even if it's not main stage huge like what they do now.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Olive Garden fever dreams = New Years introspection?

Don't take Peyote to have a personal epiphany, eat bad Olive Garden instead. There's probably a whole series of comics in that.
    Still, a really moving post.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Man, I hate when the item you want isn't Prime eligable. Having to skip free two day shipping like some sort of savage...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Wow. Deep post from Mike.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Olive Garden fever dreams = New Years introspection?

Don't take Peyote to have a personal epiphany, eat bad Olive Garden instead. There's probably a whole series of comics in that.
    Still, a really moving post.

All food poisoning gives you fever dreams, as your body turns itself inside out while making you hate the very idea of food.. It is the worst kind of sick and lingers for weeks.

• roflstomproflstomp Registered User regular
    I like how Mike's posts have become quite well-written and insightful. Not that he was every a horrible writer, but it seems like over the years he has really gotten pretty good at it. Reading about his illness was something I would have thought Jerry had written a few years ago, just with some large synonyms. It cracked me up. :)

As far as his Resolutions post...I think it takes a big person to say that. My favorite line is toward the end, " I’ve said I’m sorry for the things I’ve said but I’ve never apologized for who I am." How often have you heard it said - by some brat or in a show or whatever - that they'll never apologize for who they are or how they live their life? That seems to be the thing these days. "BE YOURSELF AND FUCK THE WORLD IF THEY DON'T LIKE IT!" That's got to be the worst advice in the world. I hope I'm not misreading the sentence. Mike demonstrates one reason why this doesn't work out so well...I can see entirely how he became the jerk he described. It has been a boon for him and for us with Penny Arcade, but he really lucked out. It could have been quite the opposite, as I'm sure it is for many people. He has found success and fulfillment, and he has obtained a wife, family, and many friends. The odds of pulling that off while being a jerk are pretty much up a rat's ass. For the folks who are the opposite and lament their existence, maybe that post can be a bit inspirational. Hell, I hope it can be inspirational for anyone, even those that are content. Maybe the problem isn't that all girls are stupid, maybe when you miss every fly ball because the sun was in your eyes, the problem isn't the sun. Maybe your employers aren't all greedy assholes, maybe you should look at the common thread: you. You might get irritated with friends that seem to avoid you for no reason, but maybe they avoid you because you push them away.

I might be stretching a little in my attempt at applying his post (and I might be projecting just a wee little bit here), but I can't say enough how much that was appreciated and how I wish more people would say that. Apologizing for what you've done is appreciated, but maybe you need to look in the mirror. If being a jerk isn't working out for you, it's time to multiclass into nice person.

• unratedunrated Registered User new member
    For the first time, I see the wordsmithing from Gabe, and it is indeed a smithing of words. A worthy feat requiring response to the point wherein I registered here, just to say this:
    "Gabe has gone Tycho". If this is considered insulting, so be it.

On Assholery: In distilled form: "Will the strip lose it's edge if you go all nice an shit?". Is there a fear of this?
    Personally, my trepidations exist, but do not abound on this question.
    Since the current thread-theme is "Yes! Be nice! Yay Nice.", I will underdoggedly take the counterview.

Those who perform for the masses develop assholian traits to enhance their survival.
    This is obviously different than being force raised in the bonsai-mold of Asshole, but.
    The wicked rip of satire requires some underlying assholiness.

I wish this line would sing with more soul, but it don't.
    "Don't throw the satire out with the shittyness".

-Unrated

• hateseededhateseeded Registered User regular
    Talking Heads-This must be the place (live)/Stop Making Sense concert
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JccW-mLdNe0

LAMP @ 4:22!!

Arguably the best song of the century. I'm not exaggerating.

I hate every ape I see, from chimpan-a to chimpanzee.
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    I came here looking for the post that is attempting to be original by criticizing Mike's Resolution post, and saying his introspection is not enough because his sins are too great.

Maybe I'm early?

I hope not.

• GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    Hey guys. Thanks for the kind words. I honestly don't think the strip will change. This is less about the strip or other people and more about me personally. I actually wrote that a few weeks ago with no intent to post it. It was something I wrote for myself and showed a few people I care about. I ended up posting it after talking a lot with my friends and my wife. I'm glad I did but that wasn't my intention when I wrote it.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I have the feeling that if any community can identify with your upbringing and the resultant defense mechanisms, it's this one.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Awww, man. I actually like Olive Garden.

• ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    While I felt that a certain amount of Mike's post seemed to be about making excuses for his behavior rather than just owning up to it and stating "I'll do my best to do better", I think that it's a big step for someone who has taken pride in his abrasiveness in the past to even be willing to admit to that stuff...so, much respect.

I sincerely hope that the deeds will match the words. I had considered not reading PA anymore, but I think people deserve chances, especially when they've shown they're willing to admit they screwed up. I actually like Mike and Jerry a lot, which is why some of the stuff they've done was so upsetting to me, especially considering how much contact they've had with people and situations that should have meant they'd known better.

Mike (I doubt he'll read this, but you never know), forgive yourself, man, and love yourself. That's the best place to start, and then talk to people and really listen to their stories. Open your heart.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    When I was pushed up against a wall, I sometimes put my hands in my pockets, put on a sadistic smile, and made the other kid cry.

• streeverstreever Registered User regular
    That was big of you to write, post, and share--thank you! Have a great 2014--you deserve to.

PLA wrote: »
    When I was pushed up against a wall, I sometimes put my hands in my pockets, put on a sadistic smile, and made the other kid cry.
    By playing pocket pool?

• roflstomproflstomp Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    By playing pocket pool?

I, too, am wondering what that meant.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Means what it says. Put the hands away. I could hurt people with words, and was really smug about it.
    Somehow I got a reputation as nonviolent.

PLA on
  • SpendocratSpendocrat Registered User new member
    I had considered not reading PA anymore,

I don't understand this sentiment. If the comic's funny, who cares if it was written by Mao and Stalin then illustrated by a member of the KKK?

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Spendocrat wrote: »
    I had considered not reading PA anymore,

I don't understand this sentiment. If the comic's funny, who cares if it was written by Mao and Stalin then illustrated by a member of the KKK?

Uh... plenty of people would, probably?

There is a whole debate about separating the author from the work (see the brouhaha over Orson Scott Card's dickbaggery and the recent Ender's Game film), but the what it boils down to is that if you feel uncomfortable or upset by someone's actions enough to wish to disassociate from his or her work, then that is absolutely your prerogative. If the creator is a racist, a homophobe, a bully, or just an all out and out asshole, and someone no longer wishes to consume the media from them because of it, then I don't think you should them guff for their rationale. Certainly not, "But it's still funny! Why you gotta bring up that this dude belongs to a group that lynched (or still lynches) minorities? Just forget about it and laugh!"

Zxerol on
  • SpendocratSpendocrat Registered User new member
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Uh... plenty of people would, probably?

There is a whole debate about separating the author from the work (see the brouhaha over Orson Scott Card's dickbaggery and the recent Ender's Game film), but the what it boils down to is that if you feel uncomfortable or upset by someone's actions enough to wish to disassociate from his or her work, then that is absolutely your prerogative.

Who's saying it's not? People can have all kinds of bad opinions (in fact I'd bet that you're thinking this about me right now). I disagree with the intense focus that so many here seem to put on the Moral Qualities of the author. Certainly not "Why you gotta bring that up," but certainly "that doesn't change the character or quality of the work." The germane question is: is it funny when you have no idea who wrote it?

I wouldn't turn my nose up at a working HIV vaccine discovered by a racist.

• ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    My clicking on the comic registers a hit that is logged in a database. I become a statistic that lets them know that what they're doing is getting them attention. Whether I agree with them or not, what I'm doing by visiting their website is validating the comics existence. If the individuals behind Penny Arcade are behaving in a manner that I happen to believe leads to harm being caused, I'd rather not give them that click.

Instead, I've decided that Mike's personal efforts to change should be encouraged. If we don't let people who screw up and cause harm know that there are people out there willing to give them a chance, where's the incentive to change? If you screw up, and people write you off, what's the point of becoming a better person? I've dealt with just that situation. I've had people write me off, close off any chance of forgiveness.

While I believe that you should be a better person for your own sake, whether people give you a second chance or not, it doesn't hurt to know that there's a chance to help heal those you've wronged by making amends.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Spendocrat wrote: »
    I wouldn't turn my nose up at a working HIV vaccine discovered by a racist.

Dude, a medical breakthrough that could affect the lives of the entirety of the human populace on Earth (which is necesarily would be a result of work by many, many people, not just one, at that) is not even equivalent to an artistic work that is created by one or two people. Maybe some of my food is grown by someone who thinks chinks like me should deported back on the boat. Well, tough shit for me, I still gotta eat. But I don't gotta consume a webcomic, book, film, et cetera.

So that's why it's not a problem of an individual chooses not to do so because of reasons outside of the work itself. If enough chooses not to, it does send a message. On the flipside, if you choose to continue to consume this work even with the acknowledgement that, yeah, this person kind of sucks, then that's ok too. But asserting that everyone should follow that latter viewpoint? Nah, dude. Nah.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I hadn't read Mike's resolutions post until today. Bravo, Mike. What you wrote resonated with me sincerely, and warmed my heart as well.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Means what it says. Put the hands away. I could hurt people with words, and was really smug about it.
    Somehow I got a reputation as nonviolent.
    OK, but it didn't say anything about hurting people with words, so that's why I was confused.

On another note, I don't generally think of someone who volunteers to come in and teach elementary school kids about art as an asshole.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    That was a seriously big thing for him to do, but I sincerely hope he is not serious about distancing himself from PAX. I can understand why he might be thinking that, because some of the backlashes/controversies from last year had direct effects on certain people saying they no longer wanted to or felt comfortable attending PAX. Hopefully those people have read this.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    Sounds like a guest post by Clinical Depression.