As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

pre-pax video game discussion for east 2014

13»

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I would be willing to bet that PPL will be using Pokemon X and Y "officially" but I bet you can still find plenty of B2/W2 battles on the DS.

• KaladinKaladin Western NYRegistered User regular
    PPL is being run on 3DS with X and Y, but I'm sure a lot of people will still have Gen 5 games with them.

• QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    miker525 wrote: »
    PurpleSky wrote: »
    Anyone know if Valve's Steam boxes will appear? I would really like to try their controller but Valve hasn't had a PAX booth since Portal 2. They'd be dumb not to be at this PAX but you never know :(

Anyone know if the Pax Pokemon League this year will still be using original DS? I love the concept and it's something I meant to do last year but didn't have the time or energy. I also only have the OG DS and Vita and don't really want to have to try to get a 3ds :/

Many will probably (like myself) have older versions of Pokemon for battles and trading, but the League as a whole will be battling with X/Y (also have, it's worth getting) for badges from what I have seen on their page.

QuantumShaddow on
    3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    PurpleSky wrote: »
    Anyone know if Valve's Steam boxes will appear? I would really like to try their controller but Valve hasn't had a PAX booth since Portal 2. They'd be dumb not to be at this PAX but you never know :(

I'd be really surprised if the Steambox wasn't there in some form. I think (err hope at least) that there will be a lot of the newer hardwares making an appearance. From the next gen consoles, to the SteamBox to the Oculus Rift. Perhaps even others as well that I'm sure I'm missing.

As I said I'm super hoping for Valve, perhaps Overkill and as usual the awesome Indie Megabooth. I'm hoping for Watch Dogs (again). Any other new IP's would be awesome as well. Hoping for more Vita and PS4 exclusives too. I'm sort of hoping that Blizzard and Elder Scrolls online won't be there....or if they are, that they are far from each other. Last year trying to make my way around that area was a nightmare, and the only time I got to even see footage of others playing was when I went down with Moe Fwacky and Atomic Gary Busey for them to pick up some merch.

This year I'm definitely hoping to spend some more time in the tabletop area as well. Playing some games with Moe, AGB, Frugus, Zerzhul and some others really got me into it, and this past semester I've indulged myself in tabletop games, so hopefully I'll find some new cool games, or even just have fun playing games with others.

Anyone know if the Pax Pokemon League this year will still be using original DS? I love the concept and it's something I meant to do last year but didn't have the time or energy. I also only have the OG DS and Vita and don't really want to have to try to get a 3ds :/

I guarantee they'll be upgrading to 3DS with X/Y this year... though maybe some leaders will have teams on gen 5? I wouldn't count on that though.

• TinTangoTinTango Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I'm eager to play some Elder Scrolls Online, particularly now that an April release date has been announced, Dragon Age: Inquisition too!
    Also, really hoping that Firefly Online also is far along for a game run, and any new Star Wars games.
    A Mass Effect 4 announcement with some footage would be a dream :)

TinTango on
  • aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    TinTango wrote: »
    I'm eager to play some Elder Scrolls Online, particularly now that an April release date has been announced, Dragon Age: Inquisition too!
    Also, really hoping that Firefly Online also is far along for a game run, and any new Star Wars games.
    A Mass Effect 4 announcement with some footage would be a dream :)

ME4 would be stellar !!!!! I played the heck out of ME3

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    ESO is releasing one week before PAX East so it would be possible to play it before the show with a laptop anywhere there is wifi. As that game will be very new, if it launches on time and we have downtime before or after PAX I'm sure my guildmates and I that are staying at the Seaport will be playing it. I'm going to their booth though in hopes to chat with a dev and pickup some swag. :)

• miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    Nice to know gen5 will still be there. Kinda sad I won't be able to get badges but it's understood. Unfortunately I am not going to be able to get a 3DS like I'd initially thought but oh well. Anyone considering should totally do it. It's a blast.

As far as ESO, unless there's been an announcement already, I'd be really surprised if they were there. The game is coming out one week prior to PAX so I assume they are going to be busy with the game as opposed to doing something at PAX. Could be completely wrong but that's the feeling I kinda get.

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    If the guys behind Kerbal Space Program could make a showing at PAX, I would be so Happy.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • lirelentlirelent Registered User regular
    I'm hoping for a star citizen oculus rift dogfight beta. I want to try out that combination to see if it gives me an instant migraine like the 3ds 3d does. I really hope it doesn't but it'd be good to know before I shell out for a occulus, assuming it ever actually does get a retail version.

• nsanensane That guy with the face. Registered User regular
    I really hope Bungie is there so I can tell them just how irritating and disappointing it is that Destiny is coming out on everything but the PC.

wK2XwhV.png
    PAX East 2018: Passes [X], Hotel [X], Airfare [], coin []
    Frugus wrote: »
    If the guys behind Kerbal Space Program could make a showing at PAX, I would be so Happy.

lol I see you playing that game a lot! It'd be cool if they were there just so I could actually see the game in person. I still haven't gotten around to buying it yet, but I'd be real interested in seeing how it plays. From what I've read I think the game was developed by a very small team, owned by a larger Software (non gaming related) company. It's always nice to see small dev teams at PAX though so I'd be happy if they showed.
    nsane wrote: »
    I really hope Bungie is there so I can tell them just how irritating and disappointing it is that Destiny is coming out on everything but the PC.

I'll have to look back for a source but I vaguely remember reading something like Bungie wanted to do a PC version but Activision wasn't down for it, or something like that. I too would LOVE a pc port, but I suppose all the more reason for me to invest in a PS4. I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled a Rockstar and released a PC version a while after console versions. They have their team pretty split developing for 4 consoles at one time right now.

Also I hope Rockstar is there. Every year they make an appearance it's generally with really awesome stuff. Still regretful I didn't buy the limited edition Claude figure from them two? East's ago. I want it so bad -_-....also new GTA content perhaps

weZXr66.png
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular

lol I see you playing that game a lot! It'd be cool if they were there just so I could actually see the game in person. I still haven't gotten around to buying it yet, but I'd be real interested in seeing how it plays. From what I've read I think the game was developed by a very small team, owned by a larger Software (non gaming related) company. It's always nice to see small dev teams at PAX though so I'd be happy if they showed.

Good point about how the guys behind this are not exactly into the gaming industry. There is no telling if they would have the kind of backing to do publicity or convention shows of this magnitude. To be honest, it's not an easy game to show so a booth would have to be... special.

But I think it would be a big plus to PAX to showcase a game that encourages kids to learn more about science. It's not often that you see a game that has the difficulty an adult can crave, yet still have a way to bridge the gameplay and experience with their much younger audience. It can also serve as a great learning tool, case in point, a few school teachers have added the game to their classroom computers.

I don't expect anyone to actually like the game as much as I do, but if you wish, it would be a pleasure for me to tell you more about it - Just PM me whenever.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png

Good point about how the guys behind this are not exactly into the gaming industry. There is no telling if they would have the kind of backing to do publicity or convention shows of this magnitude. To be honest, it's not an easy game to show so a booth would have to be... special.

But I think it would be a big plus to PAX to showcase a game that encourages kids to learn more about science. It's not often that you see a game that has the difficulty an adult can crave, yet still have a way to bridge the gameplay and experience with their much younger audience. It can also serve as a great learning tool, case in point, a few school teachers have added the game to their classroom computers.

I don't expect anyone to actually like the game as much as I do, but if you wish, it would be a pleasure for me to tell you more about it - Just PM me whenever.

I think in some ways PAX is sort of gearing towards doing things like that, due to the past few years having panels about using gaming for education. I wouldn't be too surprised if they added some sort of section that are designed specifically for educational fields as well as being games. The truth is right now there just aren't enough games that are designed to be like that. KSP is one of the first that I know of.

School teachers actually bringing the game in already is a pretty terrific thing. I believe Steam launched the Steam Educational accounts a while back for things like this specifically...do you know if KSP is a part of this? I know you're in Canada so it might be different there in how the educational system works, but I may end up emailing the game devs and potentially contact some teachers in my University about trying something like that. Teaching through gaming is a great way to teach as it actively keeps the students involved and interested and I think would totally be more efficient. Around me I seem to be the exception though.

As far as the actual game play goes, I'll definitely chat you up at some point in the near future. I'm on break from school for a few more weeks so I'm not even near Steam or my gaming rig, but once I'm back I'll probably send you a message on either here or via Steam. We're already steam friends so easy enough to do.

weZXr66.png
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • jasonakaramjasonakaram NHRegistered User regular
    Instead of listing what I hope will be there this year I'll share a highlight from last PAX East. My son and I discovered a little gem of a game called Secret Ponchos. The whole development studio was in attendance, they were holding tournaments every hour with the prize being and original piece of art signed by the artist, who was on hand drawing his heart out. We must have gone back to play that game 3 or 4 times, because it was a blast, but also hoping to win a piece of art. On the last day, having failed to win a single tourney, lol, as the floor was closing, I ran over to the booth and asked them if everybody in the studio would autograph a poster for my son. They did, and it now hangs in a frame on my boy's wall. What a great group of guys and gals, and what an amazing momento of PAX East 2013 :)

• SaintJiubSaintJiub New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I'm sure I'm not the only die hard Outlast fan, but think Red Barrels will be at PAX East again this year? They had such a great booth last year. I'm hoping they finally release the "Whistleblower" DLC/Expansion and maybe a new game. Any thoughts??

SaintJiub on
  • AnarCHrisAnarCHris Trash Lord New York CityRegistered User regular
    Fairly certain we'll be getting some info on "Evolve" (the 2k forums confirmed that), which I hope is playable. And I imagine Telltale will be on hand to promote the Game of Thrones game, as well as their TWD/BL/Fables stuff.

• gwidiongwidion Registered User regular
    I really hope Nintendo has a playable version of SSB and maybe a release date. That and Occulus Rift HD.

• ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Unfortunately since Watch Dogs has been delayed it will probably take up a massive portion of Ubisoft's booth again. But I'm hoping that they dedicate some resources to The Division this time around.

• danielofthekingsdanielofthekings Silver Spring, MarylandRegistered User regular
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    I hope the Oculus Rift will be there. I have never tried any head mounted displays and that one looks cool....

Something with the rift will probably be there. I got a chance to try it out at a small indie con on a game that was still a tech demo and it was still super cool. Takes some getting used to, though.

Was this at Magfest for the Dolphin Test game? If it was I got to try it out. It was pretty neat. I would hope that if the Oculus is present at PAX East, it is with the latest build of it.

• TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    Imsorad wrote: »
    Unfortunately since Watch Dogs has been delayed it will probably take up a massive portion of Ubisoft's booth again. But I'm hoping that they dedicate some resources to The Division this time around.

I'm REALLY looking forward to The Division so its one I'd really like to see as well. Here's hoping!

JQ1qRPt.png
  • QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    There were 2 things that stuck out to me at East last year.

The first were the mech pods. I thought The Airlock in Kirkland was the only entity in the world that could get a set of those in one place. Was thrilled to see them.

The other...I'm not sure it can even count as a video game. We were wandering the halls at about 1 am on Saturday, and saw a bunch of people playing a tag-like game with PS Move controllers. There was music that would speed up and slow down, and you had to match your pace to the music or else your wand would "explode" and you'd be out. The object being, of course, to make everyone else move their wands too much. Looked like quite a bit of fun, but we were completely incapable of discovering a way by which to play. Organize that, and maybe expand it to meet demand (the room was packed with onlookers).

• QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Tinks wrote: »
    Resolve the situation with food at the Convention Center. It's incredibly overpriced and expensive, and the building itself is located in a part of Boston that is far away from anything reasonable.
    Anything that isn't too overpriced and is located on the show floor is also really unhealthy.
    Is there any luck in bringing in vendors that could fix this?

Fact: It is < $10 cab ride to get to the Fenuil district where you have an absolute myriad of outstanding options for food. Food truck food is little more than the slophouse fare you find inside a given convention hall.

Quintious on
  • quietjayquietjay Indianapolis, INRegistered User regular
    Quintious wrote: »
    The other...I'm not sure it can even count as a video game. We were wandering the halls at about 1 am on Saturday, and saw a bunch of people playing a tag-like game with PS Move controllers.

That was Johann Sebastian Joust. I had fun playing it at PAX Aus, I hope I get to play it again at PAX East. I think it has been shown at several other events too.

Become a Star Citizen