As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New laptop battery, but unplugging power cord leads to immediate power failure

SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front doorRegistered User regular
Win8 reports good charge (currently 78%), but unplugging the power cord leads to immediate power failure.

I thought maybe it wasn't seated correctly, but it shouldn't be showing up / reporting power numbers to Windows if so, right?

Any ideas?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    You could try re-seating the battery, if you haven't already. I'd rma the battery if it's still not working after that.
    Does windows report a battery when you don't have one plugged in?

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Windows doesn't report a battery if I take it out. All of the pins look undamaged on both the battery and my laptop. Windows has been reporting that's it's "charging" at 78-75% all day now, but the laptop won't turn on if I don't have the power cord plugged into it.

:-/ Worried about RMA'ing it. It was purchased Dec 2nd; my fiancee bought it as a gift since I'd been dragging my heels about getting a new battery not wanting to spend the money. Bought it online through Amazon, "by" Synergy Digital, but the "seller" was Power_Direct. Do I ask Amazon, Synergy, or Power_Direct about an RMA? I've never RMA'ed anything before.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Well, start with amazon, they're probably going to know who you'll need to talk to, if it's not them.