As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Baltimore Comic-Con news

13»

• DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    Teen Titans and The Original Teen Titans.

fotc.jpg

DMAC on
  • LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    reading about what's happening with the Messiah CompleX has got me really excited for it.

I am pumped now, I just hope it's gonna be good looks like it will have alot of cool changes but I really hope they don't cancel C&D because that's honestly one of my favorite comics at the moment.

The X-Force looks pretty interesting, might be really good but we will see. I am an huge X-Men fan so i look forward to seeing what happens.

Lothars on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    I am an idiot and I apologize.

You just need to read both Newsarama and CBR.

Crimsondude on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Cable and Deadpool has been confirmed as canceled.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2007
    I just hope this new Titans East ongoing doesn't start up the Dick/Kory thing again

oh wait Winick is writing it

it's gonna be Dick/Vic

Garlic Bread on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Kieth that was a pretty bad winnick joke.

You could have at least done aids or something.

Bloods End on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2007
    turns out Gar has greenaids

Garlic Bread on
    edited September 2007
    Strike Two.

Bloods End on
    edited September 2007
    star wars

Garlic Bread on
    edited September 2007
    Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;But there is no joy in Mudville—angry Kieth has struck out.

Bloods End on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Swing and a miss.

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;But there is no joy in Mudville—angry Kieth has struck out.
    woulda worked better without the swing and a miss bit

Dex Dynamo on
    edited September 2007
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    Bloods End wrote: »

woulda worked better without the swing and a miss bit

fine

Bloods End on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That X-force thing is the most retarded thing I have ever seen.

DouglasDanger on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think the X-Force coupled with cancelling Cable and Deadpool for a Cable ongoing tie as the worst ideas.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So I guess Laura's off New X-Men. If there still is a New X-Men

Fencingsax on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    So I guess Laura's off New X-Men. If there still is a New X-Men

It's not Xtreme enough to exist in the same franchise as X-Force.

Furu on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    No more C&D sucks, so if we don't get an Agency X (complete with Taskmaster), I'll be.....well I read as little Marvel as possible as it is now, I'll be displeased but there are few things other than Ultimate Spidey holding my attention.

The repeated statement of Steve being dead has to mean he'll be back, because you can only stare wistfully into the distance thinking about yesteryear for so long before the fans lose interest, unless they stretch out the whole who killed Cap and why arc over a ridiculously long time.

For DC, there's at least 3 things in DiDio's panel that makes me want to throw away all support as it is. I mean, the fans have caught on that your only gimmick is killing people for no reason and they threw it in your face.

The fact he said that each universe has alternate dimensions within each universe (which is what the 52 universes by themselves and the old multiverse collectively were in the first place), as well as alternate timelines and microverses just makes me certain that they are just going in circles. Plus bringing KC Superman to the New Earth JSA just adds more proof that KC has happened and that The Kingdom -most likely- happened (unless he leaves KC before the events of The Kingdom). So that means he's brought back Hypertime without having the balls to say it. = \

Killing Bart - "It’s one of those things that just happened" (that goes back to the first problem). 'DiDio thanks a fan who pointed out that death is an inherent risk of what the heroes do, and that, realistically more should be dead.' Except the redheaded lesbian that just took a Bat name and Batman -isn't- pissed about it -and- she had a knife put through her back but she gets to live. ~Grumble~

Kyle's a favorite at DC but they made his maxiseries largely irrelevant and killed Jade for no reason, because at the start of the big things he should be wielding his powers for, they take him right out of that role he'd be perfect for. After it's all over and he's just a "normal" guy with a ring again, I bet they forget about his Starheart power entirely.....oh, oh, it gets expunged when they force out Parallax.

Yeah I better stop now. The rest seemed fine but there are some huge common sense flaws start with the 52 explanation and working it's way outwards.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The fact he said that each universe has alternate dimensions within each universe (which is what the 52 universes by themselves and the old multiverse collectively were in the first place), as well as alternate timelines and microverses just makes me certain that they are just going in circles. Plus bringing KC Superman to the New Earth JSA just adds more proof that KC has happened and that The Kingdom -most likely- happened (unless he leaves KC before the events of The Kingdom). So that means he's brought back Hypertime without having the balls to say it. = \

What the hell are you talking about? The Kingdom Come universe is Earth-22, how is that an indication that they've brought back Hypertime? If anything, it's an indication that The Kingdom never happened.

And your other complaints are awfully whiney. Batwoman lives because she's a new character, what is so hard to believe about that? And we haven't even seen Batman encountering her, so how could you know that he's not pissed? Plus, since when does he get super-pissed because someone took a Bat name? He let Barbara run around as Batgirl however long she liked and even gave Huntress a chance at being Batgirl for a while. Oh yeah and there's the fact that Batman has been a lot less of an asshole OYL.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited September 2007

What the hell are you talking about? The Kingdom Come universe is Earth-22, how is that an indication that they've brought back Hypertime? If anything, it's an indication that The Kingdom never happened.

And your other complaints are awfully whiney. Batwoman lives because she's a new character, what is so hard to believe about that? And we haven't even seen Batman encountering her, so how could you know that he's not pissed? Plus, since when does he get super-pissed because someone took a Bat name? He let Barbara run around as Batgirl however long she liked and even gave Huntress a chance at being Batgirl for a while. Oh yeah and there's the fact that Batman has been a lot less of an asshole OYL.

First, the fact that both Starman (from the JLA event) and Kal are from the KC Earth in which the comic we have all read takes place, and The Kingdom is the followup in that reality, as much some of don't like it. Even if you cast all that aside, I said that the explanation he gave is more or less how Hypertime has been described. I have attributed that name to it simply because most thought it was a bad idea then, and it could very well turn out to be bad idea now.

As for Batwoman, she's just there as someone Renee can screw. The fact they kill people like Bart "just because" and an unpowered woman gets a knife in the back -doesn't- kill her when they preach about realistic casualty rates for heroes up in that panel is the most backward thing, not even taking into account that a realistic casulty rate would also include certain villains trying to kill each other and some of them dying to weed out competiton. All the while certain villains are trying to kill heroes as well.

They're claiming realism of casualties only for heroes instead of everyone (like how -now- people bitch about the Hulk supposedly killing people because it's convenient for the story but ignore all the people that had to have been killed when any other heroes leveled a building by mistake/on purpose). Multiple fans stood up at that and called them on killing heroes as a gimmick, and other people as a soap opera gimmick as the case with Jason Todd.

All I expect is a little consistency. If your going for realism, there's an equal chance that -anybody- could die, not just a highly disproportionate amount of heroes. Anyway, it's super late here so I'll pick this up in the morning, and yeah it does sound whiny for which I apologize, it was written with a large lack of sleep.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    banghead_1_.gif

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    First, the fact that both Starman (from the JLA event) and Kal are from the KC Earth in which the comic we have all read takes place, and The Kingdom is the followup in that reality, as much some of don't like it. Even if you cast all that aside, I said that the explanation he gave is more or less how Hypertime has been described. I have attributed that name to it simply because most thought it was a bad idea then, and it could very well turn out to be bad idea now.

I don't understand what you're talking about. So you're saying that they're bringing back Hypertime because you have a theory since they hinted at alternate timelines on different worlds. Uh-huh, that makes complete sense. :|
    As for Batwoman, she's just there as someone Renee can screw. The fact they kill people like Bart "just because" and an unpowered woman gets a knife in the back -doesn't- kill her when they preach about realistic casualty rates for heroes up in that panel is the most backward thing, not even taking into account that a realistic casulty rate would also include certain villains trying to kill each other and some of them dying to weed out competiton. All the while certain villains are trying to kill heroes as well.

They're claiming realism of casualties only for heroes instead of everyone (like how -now- people bitch about the Hulk supposedly killing people because it's convenient for the story but ignore all the people that had to have been killed when any other heroes leveled a building by mistake/on purpose). Multiple fans stood up at that and called them on killing heroes as a gimmick, and other people as a soap opera gimmick as the case with Jason Todd.

All I expect is a little consistency. If your going for realism, there's an equal chance that -anybody- could die, not just a highly disproportionate amount of heroes. Anyway, it's super late here so I'll pick this up in the morning, and yeah it does sound whiny for which I apologize, it was written with a large lack of sleep.

You... Realise the guy mentioned that realistically more would die, right? If anything, it's an indication that if they were being more realistic, there'd be a lot more dead heroes than there is now. Besides, I'd say you're an idiot if you thought they were going to kill Batwoman off just after they debuted her. Oh and in real life, people can actually survive being stabbed. Crazy, huh? There's these things called doctors and hospitals.

Overall, I still think you're being whiney.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Though it will come as no surprise to anyone, I agree with ubergeek. I hate to see comic companies touting "realism," because their definition of realism if often entirely backwards and asinine. Usually they just use that excuse when something depressing/tragic happens. "Oh well y'know, these guys should be dropping like flies anyhow!" Really? I thought that being a superhero meant you were a little more adept at staying alive in dangerous situations than Jim Nobody. It's especially weird to see such huge casualties mounting only now, after decades of relatively few people dying. Lots of people like to point out that characters havealways died, and that's true, but even in CoIE and most of the follow up, it seemed to be more about building up new heroes and not tearing down all the old ones. The last list I saw for DCU casualties since Identity Crisis was nearing two hundred. That's a lot of characters to kill off in just a few years, and it's not like they were all scrubs either. And with DC promoting Death of the New Gods and Final Crisis, it doesn't seem like they're stopping anytime soon. More importantly, it seems like fans at Q&A's are getting increasingly hostile lately, and growing weary of the current DCU's direction, and sales charts are reflecting that.

I'd get into why I also think DC has completely bungled their treatment of the 52 Earths (which the 52 team set up beautifully by the way), but I don't have time right now. But really, when you have Justice Riders Wonder Woman, Captain Carrot's Blue Beetle, and Red Son Superman living on established worlds and preparing to battle in a massive tournament for the honor of being one of Monarch's night-elf commanding generals, in a series described by the editor in chief of DC comics as "fan fiction at its finest," do I really need to elaborate all that much?

Munch on
    edited September 2007
    i was just going to say that übergeek is as bad as munch

Garlic Bread on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I like the concept of the new X-Force.

I do not like that they are reusing the X-force name but whatever.

But seriously it's nice that the X-Men have a black ops team. It saves them from magically explaining away how Wolverine, X-23 and Rhayne some how magically don't maul people to death in the main X books. Although I liked X-23's role in New X-Men for the simple fact that they had to keep telling X-23 not to kill people.

The only problem is that it hurts the X-Factor cast a little bit and I love X-Factor.

Transporter on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm withholding judgement until a writer is announced

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2007
    übergeek wrote: »

I don't understand what you're talking about. So you're saying that they're bringing back Hypertime because you have a theory since they hinted at alternate timelines on different worlds. Uh-huh, that makes complete sense. :|

You... Realise the guy mentioned that realistically more would die, right? If anything, it's an indication that if they were being more realistic, there'd be a lot more dead heroes than there is now. Besides, I'd say you're an idiot if you thought they were going to kill Batwoman off just after they debuted her. Oh and in real life, people can actually survive being stabbed. Crazy, huh? There's these things called doctors and hospitals.

Overall, I still think you're being whiney.

Ok let's try this....... "DiDio explained that there are 52 earths, and then alternate dimensions within each universe, as well as alternate timelines and microverses within each."

That right there is one definition of Hypertime, right from his own words. Now it might not exactly -be- Hypertime, but I was pointing out trying to do this last time was frowned upon, and now he has brought back the concept which is almost identical (he threw in microvereses this time which weren't really affected by it). The fact that each of the 52 earths themselves were supposed to fulfill the "alternate dimensions and alternate timelines", it just adds another layer of complexity the First Crisis was meant to remove. They had it as close to "right" as they could make it with just 52 Earth's, the Bleed, and Source Walls. Presumably each Earth has a Palmerverese, whether it was discovered or not would depend on that specific Earth.

As for the rest, Munch stated it pretty well. It's not realism if you cherry pick certain instances to apply it instead of it applying to everyone.

EDIT Also, Isis and Osiris were brand new and were killed just after debuting them in the exact same comic, so who is the idiot now?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I like the concept of the new X-Force.

I do not like that they are reusing the X-force name but whatever.

But seriously it's nice that the X-Men have a black ops team. It saves them from magically explaining away how Wolverine, X-23 and Rhayne some how magically don't maul people to death in the main X books. Although I liked X-23's role in New X-Men for the simple fact that they had to keep telling X-23 not to kill people.

The only problem is that it hurts the X-Factor cast a little bit and I love X-Factor.
    But, anytime Rahne DOES kill someone she, you know, feels guilty as hell. Which kinda makes it even more jarring to have her on a team full of people that are all "WOO! LET'S KILLS US SOME BITCHES!"

I do hope X-23 is off New X-Men, though, because I hate her, and I hate Hellion, and when the two of them are together (as they have been a lot) my hatred grows exponentially.
    Furu wrote: »
    So they're canceling C&D for this.
    Maybe Deadpool will join X-Factor.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited September 2007
    Even better: Ms. Marvel.

Ms. Marvel. Machine Man. Deadpool.

geez...

Crimsondude on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I dunno, man. X-Factor has Siryn.

I think Deadpool would choose Siryn over Ms. Marvel. :D

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited September 2007
    Yes, but I'm more interested in the wacky hijinks that would ensue from a Machine Man-Deadpool teamup.

Crimsondude on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Batwoman was stabbed. Bart was shocked, frozen, and burnt. Then they just sort of smacked him around a bunch.

If you don't want DC to commit to 100% realism all across the board, then we won't have super heroes.

For the record, though, I don't like Countdown: Arena, and I think defining realism as "People die all the time!" makes for shitty stories.

Lux on
    edited September 2007
    something something

Maybe you should just...I don't know, read some books and see how they turn out?

But hey thats just me. I'm an idea man.

Bad Karma on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I wish I could hate comic books as much as some of you.

august on
    edited September 2007
    august wrote: »

Think of the money you could save.

Bad Karma on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    august wrote: »

Think of the money you could save.

But that wouldn't stop me from buying them.

Apparently.

august on