As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hoi chummer, come sit and discuss our next Table Tops Games

19495969798100»

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    You can build races with powers

Powers are your race and class section equivalent, it just makes everything infinitely customisable, really

Elves give +2 to perception checks becomes Elf: Skills 2 (Perception), simple as

by that logic GURPS is D&D because you can build races and classes by using preset character templates

if anything GURPS has more explicit support for its being D&D than M&M does, what with the whole GURPS Dungeon Fantasy line of products
    depnds on what you see as most definitve about d&d as a game. resolution mechanics or character statistic mechanics.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Plus muscle wizards, I guess. Who doesn't love muscle wizards?
    9XJ5tHi.jpg

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Well, now now i have an idea for the next thread title.

Huzzah.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Alternatively, if your level one character starts off with a sword that your great-grandfather forged and was so proud of it he refused to sell it and kept it as an heirloom, and over the course of the game it turns into, "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor." then that's really neat and interesting and flavorful.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    You can build races with powers

Powers are your race and class section equivalent, it just makes everything infinitely customisable, really

Elves give +2 to perception checks becomes Elf: Skills 2 (Perception), simple as

by that logic GURPS is D&D because you can build races and classes by using preset character templates

if anything GURPS has more explicit support for its being D&D than M&M does, what with the whole GURPS Dungeon Fantasy line of products

Well no because GURPS as a system is nothing like DnD

You don't resolve things the same way, you don't use the same kind of stats and modifiers, etc

If a game has Str, Dex, Con, Wis, Int, Cha, a whole bunch of skills which include modifiers based of those stats, loads of feats called things like "power attack" and "improved disarm," fort, will and dodge saves, and a resolution mechanic based around d20+ modifier vs DC then I am going to know what town I am in, and it's mayor is the ghost of Gary Gygax

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Alternatively, if your level one character starts off with a sword that your great-grandfather forged and was so proud of it he refused to sell it and kept it as an heirloom, and over the course of the game it turns into, "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor." then that's really neat and interesting and flavorful.

Hilariously, Gandalf nicked Glamdring from a hole in the ground where he found it

• Options
    Melding wrote: »

Huzzah.
    something about that anti d&d chick tract

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

Huzzah.

no, something far dumber.

• Options
    Also I'm looking at a modified nWoD stat line.

Strength, Stamina, Wits, Manipulation, Intelligence, Composure

• Options

Huzzah.

i got it. something about rolling dice compared to rolling joints

• Options

Huzzah.

i got it. something about rolling dice compared to rolling joints

yep, you caught me. It was dated marijuana references.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    yeah, loot was a problem area for 4e. When you just include a way to level up your gear instead of finding new stuff or having them be able to make do with old stuff, well, i'm sure it was a good idea at the time.

I would have attached more of a cost involved because not many people are going to be using it for "I found this sword at the start of my journey and now i'm killing UltraSatan with it." It's going to be used for "All my damage if fire damage with this and i get +7 to fire attacks."

Inherent bonuses allows you to keep magical weapons rare/valuable/exciting and allows players to keep the item they like because of what it does rather than having to switch it out for bigger numbers because they have to get that extra +1. Plus then it lets you craft stories and adventures for the sake of having the adventure, instead of trying to just get great new loot. Unless that's the character motivation, of course.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I think since it was on the show Tabletop it qualifies, my brother and I got Dixit for Christmas. I am super excited to play it and Say Anything the next opportunity I get (my mom's/my teacher friend from High School has promised me a game night one of these days, and we will game night with a vengeance)

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Once more, into the beach.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Inherent bonuses allows you to keep magical weapons rare/valuable/exciting and allows players to keep the item they like because of what it does rather than having to switch it out for bigger numbers because they have to get that extra +1.

Eh, I'm going to disagree. Inherent bonuses lets you avoid magic items completely. Just upgrading the items players already have is a perfectly viable option, and we did it in my group all the time. I don't think anybody changed any of their main items after, like, mid-paragon. So for the last half of the game at least everybody was just getting item upgrades instead.

Which allowed me to hand out bunches of wondrous items to make up for the fact that they weren't getting the cash from selling off the old stuff. So the loot they found was always weird/quirky shit (they at one point stumbled upon three trolls playing dice, killed them, and discovered they'd been using a set of Dice of Auspicious Fortune), and at the end of the level I'd just let everybody upgrade an item (with restrictions to keep it within the expected progression).

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    You should have sprung adventurers on them every time they used those dice.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    I'm getting a copy of dread ball

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I've seen that, it's a space American football style game right? It looked pretty neat.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I think it's also kinda like basketball.

But yeah very bloodbowl ish

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Neat. I've always wondered what a sort of 40k Bloodbowl game would look like, maybe this game will scratch that particular itch. The models look pretty cool, like the space Cthulhu/Mind flayer guys. Others are still cool but less... unique I guess?

• Options
    seems like I'm going to get it in like a month though because i guess the seller shipped cheap..

• Options
    That's unfortunate. I backed the Rivet Wars kickstarter, and I was supposed to get a USPS/Fed Ex tracking number today, and I have not gotten it, and I'm worried since I moved last year and I had to change my address (and the USPS only just sent me the confirmation, though apparently it already went into effect) and I made sure to update my location in my kickstarter pledge thing.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    That's unfortunate. I backed the Rivet Wars kickstarter, and I was supposed to get a USPS/Fed Ex tracking number today, and I have not gotten it, and I'm worried since I moved last year and I had to change my address (and the USPS only just sent me the confirmation, though apparently it already went into effect) and I made sure to update my location in my kickstarter pledge thing.

Check your spam folders. You'd be looking for a e-mail titled "CKPM Notification:Rivet Wars".

Alternatively, log in via the pledge manager, it should tell you the status of it in there as well.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Hmm well I don't have that specific email (I have CKPM Notification, but it doesn't specify Rivet Wars)

And should it have the tracking number in the pledge manager?

Also I've never confirmed with paypal, since I payed on Kickstarter with Amazon. Is that important?

• Options
    Hmm well I don't have that specific email (I have CKPM Notification, but it doesn't specify Rivet Wars)

And should it have the tracking number in the pledge manager?

Also I've never confirmed with paypal, since I payed on Kickstarter with Amazon. Is that important?

Yeah, it should have the tracking number in the pledge manager. There should have a "shipping tracking" section near the top of the order.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I'm not seeing it. I really, really hope they didn't neglect to send mine out because I didn't finalize something, I've saved my information like 5 times. If I have something on the summary page I don't know if I paid for (I don't recall adding the Tilepack Omega, I never went to the checkout with paypal thing) would they delay the shipping? Well, I emailed them so hopefully they'll be able to tell me if something is wrong.

Edit: I mean there's a thing which says shipping phase (2 of which are in phase 2, but the game itself still says phase 1) if that's what you mean.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, e-mail is the best bet. Always possible it just hasn't shipped out yet. I know I mostly have luck getting KS's shipped out early due to a last name starting with A, and I got my e-mail late Friday evening, so.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I did a playthrough with Vivienne on forbidden desert this morning (I was just playing with myself and she woke up)

Thoughts.

It is closer to pandemic where than forbidden island with the exception of the modular deck based game. and the Failure modes seem closer to pandemic (run out of sand tokens, run out of water, too many storms).

I think it's better than FI though, the characters seem a bit more unique and I like the storm centre mechanic also. It's also interesting how there are as many gear cards as there are gear tokens, so you'll always see the same ones.

The meterologist's power can seem really cool (stack the deck) but because the deck is so small, all you are really doing is making things shitty at the end of the deck, and since you repeatedly do through the deck (we went through twice in our playthrough) it doesn't seem that useful except during the end game. And while it means that you can control fifty percent of the deck draws in a two player game, in a four player game it wont be as useful.

The climber is appreciated for being there, but felt largely useless overall (much like real life) as the tunnels ended up being a better travel option than going right over.

I'd really like to give this a go with more people though, it seems like it would be heaps of fun (and more varied) with more people

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    (I was just playing with myself and she woke up)

a classic story told in all times.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    @Blake T I'd be down for trying it out sometime man

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I'm working on brainstorming some thematically... interesting characters for 13th age. So far I have ones that have good stat synergy based on starting bonuses, but some are not of the usual race for said class (half-orc rogue, dwarf sorcerer who learned magic from a demon he captured and beat the hell out of, etc.)

Anyway, can you guys think of any fun Race/class combos?
    You have most of your generic stuff:
    Human, dark/light/wood elf, half-orc, dwarf, half long, etc
    And most of the staple classes
    Barbarian, ranger, cleric, etc

In other news, yeah 13th age is great. one of my favorite things is the "one unique thing" you come up with for your character that makes them special. My previously mentioned rogue for example stole some shit from the Dwarf King (one of the super important"icons") and lived to tell the tale. I'm also working on a wood elf ranger who was part of the group that captured The Green (super powerful super evil dragon that's part of a group of dragons now known as The Three) and has garnered some favor with the Elf Queen because of that.

I am rambling some. sorry. the game is rad and I wish I had more opportunities to play more often. Those who have not checked it out yet should do so. Also we can discuss the merits of escalation dice if you would like.

Erin The Red on
This discussion has been closed.