As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Comics Thread

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Justice League 3000 was pretty good. A lot of inter-party bickering and sniping like JLI back before everyone kinda got a feel for the team and started becoming friends. The reasoning behind the team being in 3000 also helps keep them distinct from the standard Justice League:
    They're clones from 1000 year old DNA built with what accounts are left of the modern era as memories. So you have Superman without the Kent's upbringing, Batman without the Wayne's death to drive him, Flash with no friction resistance so if his force field gives out he is screwed, Wonder Woman who is pretty much a full-on warrior amazon and Green Lantern who is actually a pretty nice normal guy, but the GLs are the most hated organization in the universe and he's the last one.

I'm on board for now but the team better start bonding at some point because the kinda mean bickering will wear thin quick.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Justice League 3000 was pretty good. A lot of inter-party bickering and sniping like JLI back before everyone kinda got a feel for the team and started becoming friends. The reasoning behind the team being in 3000 also helps keep them distinct from the standard Justice League:
    They're clones from 1000 year old DNA built with what accounts are left of the modern era as memories. So you have Superman without the Kent's upbringing, Batman without the Wayne's death to drive him, Flash with no friction resistance so if his force field gives out he is screwed, Wonder Woman who is pretty much a full-on warrior amazon and Green Lantern who is actually a pretty nice normal guy, but the GLs are the most hated organization in the universe and he's the last one.

I'm on board for now but the team better start bonding at some point because the kinda mean bickering will wear thin quick.

Isn't this the team meant to be replacing the Legion in the DCU? I like the individual members from your description. Plenty to build on from that.

• Options
    Pretty much, from what I can tell. They don't mention the Legion but it looks like the same future.

Also most of those descriptions are straight up from the book so that is full on what Giffen and DeMatties are going for with them.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    Ugh. 5 Years Later looks worse than I imagined it would be. They literally chose the best and worst of the history they jettisoned (Batman Beyond and OMAC Project/Brother Eye, respectively).

...I'm trying to think of something positive about DC to balance it out, but the only series I've been buying of theirs lately is Trillium and that's all drugs and time travel at this point. Anybody been keeping up with Constantine?

More seriously, stupid random speculation: what would a DC version of Marvel MAX look like? I think it might almost be interesting if they got a really good writer/artist combo doing Ultraman MAX that didn't skimp on the sex, violence, and snorting kryptonite, and it would be kind of interesting to do a Wonder Woman MAX mini that returned her to her original mythology (loses strength if tied up by a man) but with contemporary sensibility of the real implications there - plus, I want to see a tied-up Wonder Woman showing she can still turn the tables and kick ass.

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Constantine was surprisingly decent up until this Blight storyline hijacked it.

The most frustrating thing is that Fawkes and DeMatteis are decent writers who had already been working on all the Dark titles before this thing started, and all of those books were enjoyable up until this story started. Phantom Stranger was this tripped out bronze age soap opera about a magical Judas Iscariot, and Constantine was doing a successful job of bringing him into a superhero universe by giving him a powerful order of corrupted (and mostly obscure) DCU magicians to battle against.

And I plan on giving 5 Years Later a try for a bit at least. It's following up on books and characters I really liked at the start of the New 52 (Frankenstein, OMAC, and the poorly-utilized Firestorm), and it has a team of writers who have so far made the most of the New 52 (keep in mind that Lemire has been the most successful at writing stories within editorial lines, Azzarello has been ignoring them entirely, Giffen has found creative ways to write outside of them, and Jurgens is... uhh... pretty much everything he's done so far has been swept out of continuity immediately).

Admittedly, Batman: Eternal probably has a higher chance of being good, but I just can't possibly get excited about any more Batman books.

• Options
    DC's April solicits are going to be crazy at this point. If they're sticking to 52 titles, they'll almost be down to 40 by then.

• Options
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    DC's April solicits are going to be crazy at this point. If they're sticking to 52 titles, they'll almost be down to 40 by then.

75% are about Batman.

• Options
    Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    Very random question, but if anyone could help I'd appreciate it: What issues from the Knightfall storyline follow Bruce and Alfred as they try to find Tim's dad and Bruce's doctor? I broke down and bought the new edition of volume 2 since it was (I thought) everything they left out of the last collection (Crusade, Search). And yet, at the end, Bruce shows up walking again with no mention of what they were doing. I've read the novelization, so I know what happened, but I'd like to have the whole story in issues/collections if possible. Anybody have a set of issue numbers I can hunt down?

• Options
    Oniros25Oniros25 Registered User regular
    Re-reading my trade of Move Forward yesterday reminded me just how much I'm going to miss Manapul and Buccellato on Flash. Curse you, Batman! Stop buying up all the best tallent!

Nintendo Network ID: Oniros
    3DS Friend Code: 1461-7489-3097
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Those Flash title "DC Comics Presents" spreads were nothing other than amazing.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    FlorinFlorin Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Lou29 wrote: »
    Very random question, but if anyone could help I'd appreciate it: What issues from the Knightfall storyline follow Bruce and Alfred as they try to find Tim's dad and Bruce's doctor? I broke down and bought the new edition of volume 2 since it was (I thought) everything they left out of the last collection (Crusade, Search). And yet, at the end, Bruce shows up walking again with no mention of what they were doing. I've read the novelization, so I know what happened, but I'd like to have the whole story in issues/collections if possible. Anybody have a set of issue numbers I can hunt down?

@Lou29 Maybe this will help?

Florin on
  • Options
    Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    Thanks, Florin!

• Options
    DjittersDjitters Registered User regular
    @Reynolds , @Ringo , @Kyougu & @HadjiQuest , many thanks for your help with the different Green Lantern options, I've got a few to look into now. What do people think of the Green Lantern Chronicles, or is that not a good place to start as it isn't quite so relevant to the here and now releases?

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Well a quick googling says it focuses on Hal Jordan...so I would avoid it at all costs, personally.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular

Djitters wrote: »
    @Reynolds , @Ringo , @Kyougu & @HadjiQuest , many thanks for your help with the different Green Lantern options, I've got a few to look into now. What do people think of the Green Lantern Chronicles, or is that not a good place to start as it isn't quite so relevant to the here and now releases?

The Chronicles collects Hal's original adventures starting from 1959 and onwards. Not relevant for new releases and the vast majority of it has been wiped out of continuity by the new 52.

If you're totally crazy about Green Lantern like I am, then you can check out my personal reading order here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17IU42oLcKk0A_oxz84cSOIYTAnGDXUxTuORwKr0D7D8/edit?usp=sharing

I mostly collect single issues but a lot of that is also available in trades

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Rans wrote: »

The Chronicles collects Hal's original adventures starting from 1959 and onwards. Not relevant for new releases and the vast majority of it has been wiped out of continuity by the new 52.

If you're totally crazy about Green Lantern like I am, then you can check out my personal reading order here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17IU42oLcKk0A_oxz84cSOIYTAnGDXUxTuORwKr0D7D8/edit?usp=sharing

That list has made me really miss Nero. Wasted potential and much better than Effigy in my mind.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Rans wrote: »

That list has made me really miss Nero. Wasted potential and much better than Effigy in my mind.

Grayven had an incredible introduction then fizzled afterward. The only Kyle villain to have a future post-Marz was Fatality.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Any comments on the new Flash and Batwoman? Because both seem to most certainly not continue where the comics left off looking at the previews.

Because unless I hear good things, they're getting dropped with the creator changed. You replace your outstanding talent DC, and I replace your books with Marvel/Image ones.

• Options
    Though DC still has awesome people like James Tynion. where the end of this week's Talon (and end of it's 14-issue major arc) drops major hints of rolling into Batman Inc.

At least one good writer at DC hasn't forgotten Grant Morrison's characters and legacy.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Any comments on the new Flash and Batwoman? Because both seem to most certainly not continue where the comics left off looking at the previews.

Flash was just a filler; Buccallato returns with the regular story next issue. This one wasn't a great story, but it was fun. Kind of a Silver Age style, with the Flash using his powers in a lot of different ways (and explaining it), plus a Flash fact.

• Options
    Keith wrote: »

Flash was just a filler; Buccallato returns with the regular story next issue. This one wasn't a great story, but it was fun. Kind of a Silver Age style, with the Flash using his powers in a lot of different ways (and explaining it), plus a Flash fact.

I thought the creative team was leaving Flash? And I have no desire to pick up a Batwoman that completely ignores the giant cliffhanger and all setup of the last run.

As for new Aquaman? Not bad, and started where Johns left off.

• Options
    Yeah, I finally dropped Batwoman and Flash. I might go back and read the final Buccallato issues in trade, and it's possible that the new longterm writer could be someone who might draw me back.

I finally gave up on Superman, too. I'm sure this means DC will announce an incredible creator for it in two weeks, and I'll be right back on it waiting for my hopes to be crushed again.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    So apropos of nothing:

What happened to Kaldur Raan in the New 52? You know, Aqualad from Young Justice.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    So apropos of nothing:

What happened to Kaldur Raan in the New 52? You know, Aqualad from Young Justice.

Wasn't he made up for young justice?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    He was in the comics because of Brightest Day, then disappeared after the reboot

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    So apropos of nothing:

He hasn't shown up in the New 52 yet, but I checked Wikipedia and found this interview with Lobdell from August 2011:

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/teen-titanssuperboy-writer-scott-lobdell-answers-y/1100-143521/
    Aqualad will appear eventually right?!? Will he look like Brightest Day Kaldur or Young Justice Kaldur? Thanks!

Eventually, I am certain. In fact, SCOOP HERE: I was originally asked to include him in the first issue -- one of our earliest conversations between me and the editors. He was going to be part of the Core Five! But then it was decided, if I recall, that he was going to be such an important player in another book, that it should be left up to that book's writer to define exactly who Aqualad is and how he fits into the world. If I were writing him over in TEEN TITANS, his adventures in the other book would conflict with the team book. So, for the sake of Kaldur's continuity and growth he will not be appearing in the book just yet. (That said, I can't wait for the day he's a Teen Titan! Is he an awesome character, or what?!)

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Such an important player that he hasn't shown up yet in 2 years. Hell, the book in question has probably been cancelled by now anyway.

• Options
    I've been waiting for him to pop up again, and for awhile there was a rumor of a second young justice title that would've featured him. If I'm not mistaken though, I believe Bleeding Cool have said he's due to appear again once other legacy characters like Wally start popping back up (which is supposed to happen this year, probably teased in the Five Years Later title).

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    http://www.comicvine.com/articles/teen-titanssuperboy-writer-scott-lobdell-answers-y/1100-143521/
    Aqualad will appear eventually right?!? Will he look like Brightest Day Kaldur or Young Justice Kaldur? Thanks!

Eventually, I am certain. In fact, SCOOP HERE: I was originally asked to include him in the first issue -- one of our earliest conversations between me and the editors. He was going to be part of the Core Five! But then it was decided, if I recall, that he was going to be such an important player in another book, that it should be left up to that book's writer to define exactly who Aqualad is and how he fits into the world. If I were writing him over in TEEN TITANS, his adventures in the other book would conflict with the team book. So, for the sake of Kaldur's continuity and growth he will not be appearing in the book just yet. (That said, I can't wait for the day he's a Teen Titan! Is he an awesome character, or what?!)

They've been doing that so well with other characters

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    who the fuck cares if continuity matches up perfectly between titles? just tell good stories, fuck.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    One look at DC post New52, shows that they really have no care for how they introduce characters.

Amanda Waller returns as a thin, sexy ghost of her former self. Huntress and Power Girl start out with a convoluted history, including an alternate Earth, complete with alternate Batman and Superman. Ditto for Mister Terrific, I suppose. Hawkman's mythology is stripped away, and replaced with a whole lot of nothing. Legion of Superheroes is a fucking mess. Apollo and Midnighter are introduced with new histories and costumes, before being erased from history, and replaced with their Wildstorm-era selves. Batwing launches with David Zavimbe in the role, before being abruptly replaced with Luke Fox, in a Batman Beyond-derived costume. Blue Beetle is relaunched as a grittier, more morose character, bereft of anything that people enjoyed in the Giffen/Rogers era. Justice League International is launched and abruptly cancelled, when someone realizes they have a better idea for a satellite Justice League book. Green Arrow is launched, and undergoes a few writers, each with their own direction, before finally getting a stable creative team and tone. Superboy begins as a clone, before being replaced by an alternate-universe evil duplicate.

Seriously, the New 52 is what, a little over two years old?

And already, there's two alternate Earths that have played major roles in the universe, three headlining characters have been replaced with alternate-reality duplicates, and numerous aborted takes on popular characters and franchises.

For a company with a notoriously strict editorial office, there really seem to be no sense of direction, coming from the top.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah they've basically turned their setting in to exactly what they wanted to turn it away from, and they did it from day one

For such a huge opportunity, they managed to utterly fuck it up.

• Options
    I mean, the reboot was fucked from the get-go. They sold it as ALL-NEW CONTINUITY, FROM SQUARE ONE yet Green Lantern and Batman, two of their biggest titles, were mired in pre-reboot continuity from the first issue.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    It just goes to show you, never put Bob Harras in charge of anything.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    if only someone had listened to Mark Waid

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    After Crisis, DC couldn't manage a clean reboot.

DC: where no one knows who George Santayana is.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    From DC's own website, these were the 10 moments at DC that mattered in 2013, which just shows how lost the company is:

Geoff Johns Says Goodbye to Green Lantern
    The Death of Damian Wayne
    Faora in Man of Steel
    The Sandman Returns to Vertigo
    The Superman 75th Anniversary Short
    Wonder Woman Becomes the God of War
    FBP’s Weird Science
    Nightwing’s Unmasked in Forever Evil
    Wonder Woman Announced for Man of Steel Sequel
    Tommy Merlyn “Returns” to Arrow

Half of these don't matter at all. Who gave a toss about Faora in Man of Steel? Someone returns to a series that has only had two seasons? The Superman short was nice but if a two minute clip is in your top ten of things that mattered? WTF?

I feel like my mind is breaking down when I see DC stuff these days and their rationale.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah

that is a crock of shit list

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I look forward to...whenever DC returns.

This discussion has been closed.