As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PS Vita] - Ys sir, can I Ys have some more?

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Not to be a pain in the ass, but a Kindle is really awesome even if you have a regular tablet. Just so, you know.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    oh i know, but her mum made me promise.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Well, just keep hunting those ps+ freebies so you'll have even more games by the time you get your new vita.

Oh I'm not letting up on that!

• CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    I got Tearaway for Christmas and played it over the holidays. Such a great game! I just wish it was a little longer. But, I now have Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki to work through. I really hope they localize it - I'm really enjoying it so far!

I also picked up a 64 GB memory card and a used copy of Super Robot Wars because I'm weak and we were in Taiwan. :(

Now we just need to get PS+ >.>

工事中
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Hit the first dungeon on Persona 4 where I actually get to do stuff. Took me 2 hours I think.

I'm enjoying it now, but if it hadn't been for the praise heaped upon it here I'd actually have given up.

Basically what I'm saying is...don't be impatient when you come to play it Isy, it does get there eventually :p

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Hit the first dungeon on Persona 4 where I actually get to do stuff. Took me 2 hours I think.

I'm enjoying it now, but if it hadn't been for the praise heaped upon it here I'd actually have given up.

Basically what I'm saying is...don't be impatient when you come to play it Isy, it does get there eventually :p

It actually gets better and better from here on, as new activities open up for you.

If you do a NG+, you can literally fast forward through the early part of the game if you so desire and get right into the meat again.

• Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    I put some time into Tearaway today. I gotta say, I haven't been so charmed by a games artstyle since Yoshi's Island! How long is this game?

• bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    I put some time into Tearaway today. I gotta say, I haven't been so charmed by a games artstyle since Yoshi's Island! How long is this game?

Unfortunately not very long. Somewhere in the 5-7 hour range if you don't spend time obsessing over the trophies as you go, I think?

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site

Yeah i figured it'd be one of those slow burners. And I won't be paying it for a while. Argos were out of stock for vitas. Gonna pick one up from work Tuesday hopefully, if w do the bundle.

• GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    Since getting a PS4 I've been looking for an excuse to buy a Vita, but the Australian bundles haven't been great. On Boxing Day however, I stumbled into a deal that got me a Vita, Tearaway, Rayman Legends, 16Gb memory card and a case/accessories pack for $229 AUD.

It was a perfect storm of lazy price matching, a generous employee and inventory confusion. They matched an expired $199 deal for the Vita + Tearaway, then gave me 16Gb memory for the price of 8Gb. At the counter they thought the memory chosen was the pack with 10 game codes (it wasn't), and only having standard memory cards in stock let me choose any game off the shelf free. 16Gb+Rayman for the price of 8Gb memory ain't a bad deal.

With PS+ and some Cross Buy titles already under my belt, you know the rest of the story. As in, holy shit this system is packed with greatness!

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Man, from what I know of game prices down there, that sounds like a Hell of a bargain.

I popped into town to see if I can get a vita, thinking i would have it by the end of the day.... Out of Stock. Everywhere. Holy shit. That never happens here. Admittedly I didn't try the game specific stores since the charge extortionate prices . I will pop into work on Tuesday and see if I can get one then.

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I popped into town to see if I can get a vita, thinking i would have it by the end of the day.... Out of Stock. Everywhere. Holy shit. That never happens here. Admittedly I didn't try the game specific stores since the charge extortionate prices . I will pop into work on Tuesday and see if I can get one then.

I had the same problem here in eastern Canada. Vita took me days to find, finally found one on sale for $169 and bought it. But it seems to have sold quite well this holiday season, likely something to do with the PS4. Having a hard time finding games for it though which sucks.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Man, from what I know of game prices down there, that sounds like a Hell of a bargain.

That's one hell of a steal no matter where you bought the thing from...

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    I'm not even sure how it compares with US pricing, but I couldn't believe what I walked away with. Great price and not a single dud pack-in.

I haven't been following here or the industry thread recently; has there been any appreciable boost in Vita sales post-PS4 launch? I hope so, because they compliment each other amazingly well. Remote Play surpassed my expectations even after hearing a tonne of praise for it, and Cross Buy is a pro-consumer feature that actually leads to me spending more money (weird, that).

• InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular

I had the same problem here in eastern Canada. Vita took me days to find, finally found one on sale for $169 and bought it. But it seems to have sold quite well this holiday season, likely something to do with the PS4. Having a hard time finding games for it though which sucks.

Yeah. With the shrinking Vita sections in games stores(EB Games only has two shelves for Vita stuff. And one of them is used games) is it any wonder that people still claim that the Vita has no games?

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

Why is it hard to find a vita lately?

Steam: offday
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    anoffday wrote: »

Why is it hard to find a vita lately?

I would think it's because of Sony pushing the Vita as a PS4 tie in device.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    People are likely snatching them up if they ever were interested while they can still get one with the OLED screen.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    People are likely snatching them up if they ever were interested while they can still get one with the OLED screen.

They're changing the screens?

edited January 2014
    anoffday wrote: »
    Cade wrote: »

They're changing the screens?

Yeah, the new ones released in Japan in October have LCD screens.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
    Are OLED screens better?

• skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Way better.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
    I know nothing about them. I've had my vita for awhile so I'm assuming I have an OLED screen. What makes it better?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000895761
    How Do LCD and OLED TVs Work?

What goes on inside the screens is quite different when comparing OLED vs. LCD technology. LCD screens have small crystals embedded into them. A light source behind the screen shines through the screen, allowing the crystals to alter the color of the light and produce bright, vivid pictures--but also making blacks appear somewhat washed out.

OLED TV technology also has small color-producing elements embedded in the screen, but they can produce their own light and don't need a backlight. This means OLED technology can produce darker blacks and more vibrant colors in a slimmer TV.
    Which TV Has the Best Picture?

Picture quality is one of the defining issues when considering OLED vs. LCD. LCD TVs offer vivid colors that can be seen even in brightly lit rooms. But the backlight built into the sets often washes out the portions of the screen that are supposed to be black.

OLED TVs display bright colors and, because they can turn off the parts of the screen that need to be black, those blacks are deeper than those of LCD TVs. This is important not only for displaying true blacks, but also because colors appear sharper against darker backgrounds.

There's a stark difference in the quality of viewing angles on LCD vs. OLED TVs. LCD TVs have long struggled with the loss of picture quality when viewed at an angle or if the TV is not at the viewer's eye level. Though some manufacturers have made improvements in this area, viewing angles remain an ongoing issue for LCD sets. But OLED TVs do not suffer any loss of picture quality at extreme angles, making them the superior choice if you'll often be viewing your TV from an angle.
    Which TV Will Be Easier on My Electric Bill?

Power consumption is another area of contrast with OLED vs. LCD TVs. LCD TVs generally consume more power than OLED TVs due to their always-on backlight. OLED technology only uses electricity for the parts of the screen that need color; parts of the screen that remain black use no power, making OLEDs more energy-efficient.
    What Can I Expect to Pay?

Price is about the only aspect of the LCD vs. OLED debate that favors LCD TVs. While a quality LCD TV will run you hundreds of dollars, OLED technology is still very new and the first sets cost thousands of dollars.
    So What Should I Buy?

When it comes to OLED vs. LCD TVs, which one is right for you? If you want the best of the best and are willing to pay for it, OLED TVs offer bright colors, deep blacks, thin sets, no viewing angle issues, and lower energy consumption. If you are looking for a great value, LCD TVs still shine for a much lower asking price.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    edited January 2014
    Interesting that LCD seems to consume more power, I would have assumed the opposite. Isn't the new Vita meant to have improved battery life?

Regardless, I'd never part with this OLED display. 2D games with strong art design like Guacamelee and Sound Shapes just look so gorgeous and crisp, and I'm blown away at how detailed something like Battlefield 4 remains on the small screen.

Gutterkisser on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Guys, let me tell you about one of the best game I've ever played.

It's called Persona 4 Golden, and if you haven't played this game then you're doing yourself a huge disservice. Its been a really long time since I was last so deeply charmed by a JRPG, but P4G has touched me in a way that previous JRPG hasn't been able too. First of all, the presentation is amazing. The music, art direction, graphics, characters, world building, etc are all top notch. Seriously, this is some of the best music I've listened to in a JRPG since The World Ends with You. But the game simply has so much charm. The game is so happy to exist, and while the plot revolve around a grim situation you can't help but feel happy playing this game. The Social Links are so good in this game that it's hard to do the dungeon crawling, which is hard to do because the dungeon crawling is so much fun. This entire game is just so much damn fun!

So here's what everybody should do. Buy this game, now, and enjoy it because it's one of the best game I had ever played.

• Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Seeing as the PS Vita 3G version is $30 less than the Wifi-only one, I have to ask
    Is the 3G version really that annoying if you don't have a SIM card in it?

Commodore75 on
    Guys, let me tell you about one of the best game I've ever played.

It's called Persona 4 Golden, and if you haven't played this game then you're doing yourself a huge disservice. Its been a really long time since I was last so deeply charmed by a JRPG, but P4G has touched me in a way that previous JRPG hasn't been able too. First of all, the presentation is amazing. The music, art direction, graphics, characters, world building, etc are all top notch. Seriously, this is some of the best music I've listened to in a JRPG since The World Ends with You. But the game simply has so much charm. The game is so happy to exist, and while the plot revolve around a grim situation you can't help but feel happy playing this game. The Social Links are so good in this game that it's hard to do the dungeon crawling, which is hard to do because the dungeon crawling is so much fun. This entire game is just so much damn fun!

So here's what everybody should do. Buy this game, now, and enjoy it because it's one of the best game I had ever played.

I'm going to be honest, this game is so talked about here that I thought this post was sarcasm/satire.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
    There are probably some economies of scale when talking about TV sized vs Vita sized OLED screens. A backlight on a TV is going to be a much larger percentage of power use compared to the backlight on a handheld device.

Tycho wrote:
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Since getting a PS4 I've been looking for an excuse to buy a Vita, but the Australian bundles haven't been great. On Boxing Day however, I stumbled into a deal that got me a Vita, Tearaway, Rayman Legends, 16Gb memory card and a case/accessories pack for $229 AUD.

It was a perfect storm of lazy price matching, a generous employee and inventory confusion. They matched an expired $199 deal for the Vita + Tearaway, then gave me 16Gb memory for the price of 8Gb. At the counter they thought the memory chosen was the pack with 10 game codes (it wasn't), and only having standard memory cards in stock let me choose any game off the shelf free. 16Gb+Rayman for the price of 8Gb memory ain't a bad deal.

With PS+ and some Cross Buy titles already under my belt, you know the rest of the story. As in, holy shit this system is packed with greatness!

Wow, and I thought the bundle I got for $188 with Killzone Mercenaries was good.

Now go and buy Dragons Crown.

Yo, @Big Classy , I'm heading in to Leeds HMV today to see if they have any cheap Vitas, I told Willeth I'd grab him one. If, by some miracle, there are two, would you like me to pick you one up?

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Why hasn't anyone told me how awesome P4G is??? /j

I wish they made the PVita Slim with the OLED. The newer "shell" just looks so amazing.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • GosrothGosroth Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Seeing as the PS Vita 3G version is $30 less than the Wifi-only one, I have to ask
    Is the 3G version really that annoying if you don't have a SIM card in it?

Not really. You just have to uncheck the mobile network option in Settings->Network->Mobile Network. It won't bother trying to connect to a 3G network after that.

Edit: Nevermind, seems you can't access the Mobile Network settings if there is no SIM card in the Vita. No idea how it acts with no SIM card from the start.

Gosroth on
    Yo, @Big Classy , I'm heading in to Leeds HMV today to see if they have any cheap Vitas, I told Willeth I'd grab him one. If, by some miracle, there are two, would you like me to pick you one up?

I can pick one up from work but thanks for the offer bud!

Just voted in MCC's Game of the Year poll.

6 of my top 10 games I played on the Vita. I actually played and enjoyed far more than that, but some were released in 2012.

Yeah that is scary. My number1 was brothers but 2 was Tearaway and Dragons Crown was 4.

I need to play Brothers, sadly it's not portable so it goes on the list! And "the list" is currently being delayed because I wanted to play through Uncharted 3 again, but this time on the projector.

It's so damn pretty.

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Since I owned it but never played it, this weekend I tried out Virtue's Last Reward for the first time. I gotta say I really dig how they set up the concept, and thankfully they got some very good voice acting in it, since 75% of the time you're watching a visual novel. Played about 7 hours, got through a few scenarios and got my first 'To Be Continued'. Ahh... so it's one of those games eh, like P4A, where you don't get the True endings until you get most or all of the scenarios first.

Alright... I can wait. I think this one is gone or will be going from PS+ soon, so anyone still curious about this should probably pick it up soon. It's caught my attention now.

wbee62u815wj.png
This discussion has been closed.