As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Possibly buying a DS Lite

subediisubedii Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
So I've been thinking about getting a DS Lite. Not 100% certain on it, but interested enough to start asking some questions, and this is probably the best place to ask. The console itself will probably set me back around £100 (unless anyone knows where / when they might be found for cheaper). After that, I've got some questions:

- Never owned a handheld console (heck, never owned a console before, most of my gaming has been on the PC to date), are there any other bits and pieces I should invest in? Spare battery, recharger, protective case? Anything you've found really useful or handy?

- I'm primarily interested in the Phoenix Wright games, those look quite good. Now I've heard that the Japanese versions are voice acted with English subtitles, is this true? And if so, what's a good store to get one of these import copies from (UK delivery)? Are they even still available?

- I like adventure games in general, so are there any other good games that fit the bill?

- I'm also interested in strategy games. I've tried Advance Wars and liked it, but I think I'd prefer something more along the lines of squad-based strategy (a la X-Com). I've heard there might be one or two titles, but I have no idea what they're called.

- I'm primarily interested in shorter play experiences, easy to get 10-30 minutes play time in. One of the main reasons I'm interested in the system is that it's meant to be tailored more towards games like that. Would that be right?

- What other good games are there for the system? I realise I'm probably opening the floodgates here, but what-the-hey. Oh, I'm looking at Elite Beat Agents as well before anyone jumps on that one. :mrgreen:

- The DS has been out for quite a while now. Is it likely that Nintendo are going to be releasing a successor to it any time soon? Any rumours on that front? Only I'd hate to pick one up and then hear an announcement the next day of a new next gen handheld that's also backwards compatible etc. etc.

Finally, I link this because it's funny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAmML66Aj68

Thanks.

subedii on

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    1. For the DS-Lite few attachments are needed. Screen protectors (Hori brand) are nice, but not mandatory by any means.

2. Phoenix Wright games have no voice acting. Japanese versions of 1-3 have both English and Japanese written text though, for ease of import.

3. Yes. Hotel Dusk, Trace Memory, Touch Detective, and the upcoming Professor Layton games.

4. Rebelstar for the GBA is a X-Com like.

5. New Super Mario Bros. Ouendan. Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. A million other DS and GBA games.

6. Not for a few more years, you are safe.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    subedii wrote: »
    The console itself will probably set me back around £100 (unless anyone knows where / when they might be found for cheaper).

On it.

LewieP on
  • LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I picked up one up a few weeks ago and so far iv been loving it. I also have a PSP and I can easily say DS Lite > PSP any day of the year...but then, pretty much Any hand held/console > PSP.

Anywho...the only advice I can give is this: The Onyx Black one, which I bought, is horrible for showing fingerprints, smudges and the like.

Loathing on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    - Never owned a handheld console (heck, never owned a console before, most of my gaming has been on the PC to date), are there any other bits and pieces I should invest in? Spare battery, recharger, protective case? Anything you've found really useful or handy?

Don't worry about any additional accessories, unless you're going to play Elite Beat Agents, or Trauma Center. Then you might think about picking up some screen protectors (so you don't scratch the screen while having a blast).
    - I'm primarily interested in the Phoenix Wright games, those look quite good. Now I've heard that the Japanese versions are voice acted with English subtitles, is this true? And if so, what's a good store to get one of these import copies from (UK delivery)? Are they even still available?

I'm not quite sure... sorry, someone else will answer that for you. :)
    - I like adventure games in general, so are there any other good games that fit the bill?

All of the Castlevania games are worth it. There are a few out there that you might want to borrow from a friend if they have it (to make sure you like them): Lost in Blue 1/2, Trace Memory, and Hotel Dusk (which is a good game but only if you like book games, and mystery games). Those MIGHT not be what you're looking for, but they are a good place to start.
    - I'm also interested in strategy games. I've tried Advance Wars and liked it, but I think I'd prefer something more along the lines of squad-based strategy (a la X-Com). I've heard there might be one or two titles, but I have no idea what they're called.

Age of Empires is actually really good and you can get it cheap. I can't think of any other games like that right now...
    - What other good games are there for the system? I realise I'm probably opening the floodgates here, but what-the-hey.

People will say Elite Beat Agents, and I'll agree with them. I HATE rhythm games a lot.. but EBA is an amazing game, and you should pick it up. I'd recommend Mario Kart DS, New Super Mario Bros (duh), and a pokemon game if you're into turn based RPG games.
    - The DS has been out for quite a while now. Is it likely that Nintendo are going to be releasing a successor to it any time soon? Any rumours on that front? Only I'd hate to pick one up and then hear an announcement the next day of a new next gen handheld that's also backwards compatible etc. etc.

Chances are slim. The DS is a roaring success and they'll probably start thinking about a successor far in the future when the sales start to slide.
    Thanks.

You're welcome.

urahonky on
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So I've been thinking about getting a DS Lite. Not 100% certain on it, but interested enough to start asking some questions, and this is probably the best place to ask. The console itself will probably set me back around £100 (unless anyone knows where / when they might be found for cheaper). After that, I've got some questions:

Sweet deal, probably won't get it cheaper unless you can trade in stuff.

If you plan to bring out of the house a lot, definitely invest in a case. I have a hard plastic case around the system to protect the paint and then another foam case that it can slide in to.

If you can get the in the UK(did they come out there?), I'd just buy those, it would probably be cheaper than importing. The Japanese versions do indeed have the english in them. The voice acting is so little that it's not worth worrying about though.

Zelda is coming out sometime(I have no idea when in the UK.)
    - I'm primarily interested in shorter play experiences, easy to get 10-30 minutes play time in. One of the main reasons I'm interested in the system is that it's meant to be tailored more towards games like that. Would that be right?

The awesome part about the DS is that you can suspend any game, anytime by simply closing the system.
    - What other good games are there for the system? I realise I'm probably opening the floodgates here, but what-the-hey. Oh, I'm looking at Elite Beat Agents as well before anyone jumps on that one. :mrgreen:

There's another thread in G&T about this and a bigger one in H&A. Check those.

I highly doubt Nintendo will be annoucing a new handheld soon. The DS is selling way to well to kill off the sales by announcing a next gen system.

YodaTuna on
    edited September 2007
    Best deal on the console I can find at the moment is -

Black DS Lite Console with Worms Open Warfare 2 (which has just released, and is aparently great) - £99.99
    Apply code "GETUPANDPLAY" for £5 off.

Retailers are unlikely to drop the price much when it is selling so well, so it's just a case of finding the best bundle.

Other good deals you might want to check out -
    GBA games
    Rebelstar Tactical Command, GBA - £2.97
    Sigma Star Saga, GBA - £2.96
    Alien Hominid, GBA - £7.99
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, GBA - £15.48

DS games
    Pac Pix, DS - £9.87
    Chronos Twin, DS - £12.95
    Picross DS, DS - £9.99 delivered
    Final Fantasy Fables - Chocobo Tales, DS - £9

You should try Rebel Star Command and Sigma Star Saga at that price, and Picross DS is fantastic

LewieP on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

Black DS Lite Console with Worms Open Warfare 2 (which has just released, and is aparently great) - £99.99

Retailers are unlikely to drop the price much when it is selling so well, so it's just a case of finding the best bundle.

GBA games

DS games
    Pac Pix, DS - £9.87

You should try Rebel Star Command and Sigma Star Saga at that price, and Picross DS is fantastic

LOL. You did that far too fast Lewie. :P

I'll definitely look into those, thanks. GBA games are completely compatible with the DS Lite right? I think Rebelstar Tactical Command was the game I had heard about.

subedii on
    edited September 2007
    LOL. You did that far too fast Lewie. :P

I'll definitely look into those, thanks. GBA games are completely compatible with the DS Lite right?

haha, I have mad browsing skillz when armed with firefox and a bunch of cool extensions 8-)

LewieP on
  • setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    YodaTuna wrote: »

The awesome part about the DS is that you can suspend any game, anytime by simply closing the system.

I consider this feature the greatest innovation of the DS, right up there with the touchscreen.

setrajonas on
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

GBA games

DS games
    Pac Pix, DS - £9.87

Don't try Sigma Star Saga. And skip Alien Hominid if you have any other means of playing any other version. Rebelstar is alright but hardly worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as X-Com.

RichardTauber on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    setrajonas wrote: »
    YodaTuna wrote: »

I consider this feature the greatest innovation of the DS, right up there with the touchscreen.

Yeah, that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I take it the drain on the battery is minimal during this time? Actually, what sort of play-time / "sleep" time can I expect to get out of my betteries before needing to re-charge? What's the re-charge time like? Not that that's really important, I expect I'll be leaving it charging overnight anyway.

subedii on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This is purely anecdotal, but at one point last year I put the DS to sleep during a game of Metroid Prime Pinball and put the DS in my bag. The power LED was blinking green, which means, the battery isn't close to running out.

Literally three weeks later, I remembered where my DS was, and I got it out of the bag. It was still blinking green. I opened the DS and resumed the game.

Captain K on
  • setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sleep time is pretty crazy. I don't know the exact number, but you can comfortably put it in sleep mode for a weekend, even on say a half-charge.

setrajonas on
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Just thought I'd provide my 2 cents on Pokémon for DS since I have yet to see a counterpoint for it: Try before buying.

I've played every last one since the beginning of the series and know not to expect too much, but each game did improve somewhat upon the prior editions -- until DS. I really like this series, and own most of it, but let's be really honest: my enjoying it doesn't make it more than a budget title split in half and sold for full price.

Well, I finally got to play Diamond last weekend, and was pretty horrified. It suffers from a horrid framerate, half-speed movement (compared with all prior games), and lack of stylus interactivity where it really makes total sense to support dual input. I really got the feeling that the past decade of under-achieving has left Gamefreak too technically inept to create a decent game engine on the DS.

I know Diamond/Pearl finally add a long overdue way to reach out to players without regard to location, but slowing the game down to a crawl and cluttering the interface while forgoing almost all opportunities for stylus support (on top of the existing traditional controls) really made the expereince unbearable and the game feel very cheap.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Emerald, definitely the most-improved since Red and Green/Blue. Everything from the the villains to the interface really did get bumped up a notch or two, plus it has the largest selection alone.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As far as cases go, i've been fine so far with one from www.bestskinsever.com - it's $11, but it's almost completely invisible, form-fits to the DS, protects from scratches, smudges, and fingerprints, comes with screen protectors that don't inhibit gameplay, and you never have to take it off.

/shill

KalTorak on
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Just thought I'd provide my 2 cents on Pokémon for DS since I have yet to see a counterpoint for it: Try before buying.

I've played every last one since the beginning of the series and know not to expect too much, but each game did improve somewhat upon the prior editions -- until DS. I really like this series, and own most of it, but let's be really honest: my enjoying it doesn't make it more than a budget title split in half and sold for full price.

Well, I finally got to play Diamond last weekend, and was pretty horrified. It suffers from a horrid framerate, half-speed movement (compared with all prior games), and lack of stylus interactivity where it really makes total sense to support dual input. I really got the feeling that the past decade of under-achieving has left Gamefreak too technically inept to create a decent game engine on the DS.

I know Diamond/Pearl finally add a long overdue way to reach out to players without regard to location, but slowing the game down to a crawl and cluttering the interface while forgoing almost all opportunities for stylus support (on top of the existing traditional controls) really made the expereince unbearable and the game feel very cheap.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Emerald, definitely the most-improved since Red and Green/Blue. Everything from the the villains to the interface really did get bumped up a notch or two, plus it has the largest selection alone.

Framerate issues? That's pretty weird -- I don't have any. :( Also, you get the ability to Run at some point before the first Gym, and stylus-controls in battle are simplistic, I guess, but I do find them mildly more efficient than the traditional version. My only gripe is the PokeTech. Information on the bottom screen was a good idea. Why did it have to be so crippled?

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I wonder if Amazon.co.uk will ship to the States. I want to get Chronos Twin.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2007
    I wonder if Amazon.co.uk will ship to the States. I want to get Chronos Twin.

$39.81 shipped

Best price I can find for retailers that ship to the USA, Amazon don't.

LewieP on
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mahnmut wrote: »

Framerate issues? That's pretty weird -- I don't have any. :( Also, you get the ability to Run at some point before the first Gym, and stylus-controls in battle are simplistic, I guess, but I do find them mildly more efficient than the traditional version. My only gripe is the PokeTech. Information on the bottom screen was a good idea. Why did it have to be so crippled?
    The frame rate and overall speed were visibly low; I've no issues with any other DS game. Not everyone is able to notice refresh rates & low fps, but I'm very sensitive to it. I know about running and biking, Diamond/Pearl are just inexplicably slower; every type of movement is literally about half as fast as its counterpart on GBA. Compare for yourself, two videos on Youtube if need be.

Also when accessing the menu, going through a door, selecting commands, and even between an attack animation and the HP bar dropping, there's all these little half second delays, almost like loading time. The only thing that honestly felt the same speed is the text fill rate for game dialog.

As for good games, I found the two-character double-teaming dynamic of Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin very enjoyable. I liked the stage design much more than Dawn of Sorrow. Replay value is also high.

The Phoenix Wright games are so very worth it, with top-notch localization, excellent humor, fun characters, and puzzling gameplay galore. Make sure it's not the only DS or GBA game you have, though; it takes a bit of time to forget enough so that you can properly enjoy a replay. It's a must to have something else to play.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Unrelated to the opening poster:

My lite has stopped recognizing that ds games are inserted inside of it. Anyone know of a way to fix this?

projectmayhem on
    edited September 2007
    blow in the slot, then the cartridge.

LewieP on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Sage advice from the elders???

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ah, blowing on cartridges, how I miss thee. CDs and DVDs are a much bigger bitch to clean and you can damage them while doing so if you're not careful. But cartridges? A puff of air and it is as good as new <3

Duki on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The frame rate and overall speed were visibly low; I've no issues with any other DS game. Not everyone is able to notice refresh rates & low fps, but I'm very sensitive to it. I know about running and biking, Diamond/Pearl are just inexplicably slower; every type of movement is literally about half as fast as its counterpart on GBA. Compare for yourself, two videos on Youtube if need be.
    I know exactly what you're talking about.

Animal Crossing is particularly guilty of this as well. And to be honest, it's one of the primary reasons I don't ever feel like playing it. It's so hard to look at because it runs at what appears to be 15fps or so, while the Gamecube one runs at a completely consistent 60fps (as it should, being a port of a Nintendo 64 game).

In Pokemon though, it was irritating, but it never really bothered me too much except for on the slot machines. It made it almost impossible to time the slots running at such a low frame rate.

Edit: And yes, the Phoenix Wright games are amazing, but short, and not very replayable. I was so excited about the third one that I beat it the day I got it. :( Definitely worth it, though.

mntorankusu on
  • Dulcius_ex_asperisDulcius_ex_asperis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Told you.

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    There's already been some sage advice offered, but I'll throw mine in as well, partly because I was in the exact same situation as you.

The DS is an excellent choice. I don't get on with most consoles, never owned one as a consequence, and I wanted a DS because of the stylus and touch screen. I now own nearly 40 games for it and I feel more confident using the controls - it's like a gateway gaming drug.

The most useful accessory I own is a good quality case - originally made for the DS Phat but the Lite fits well. It's one of the Nintendo branded ones and stores plenty of games, and isn't so huge that I can't fit it easily in a bag. The Lite gets grubby easily so if you're taking it everywhere with you I definitely recommend getting some kind of case that closes shut - it will keep it so much cleaner.

I also bought a couple of USB chargers for it, so that if I visit other people, I can charge it on their computers without lugging around a huge wall charger.

They are really good, and I'd say import. On http://www.play-asia.com they're £16 including shipping - that's cheaper than you'll buy in the shops, and the only difference between the Japanese and English version is a couple of minor typos. Plus they're hard to find new in the shops now.

As was already stated, Hotel Dusk, Trace Memory, etc.

Yeap! :mrgreen: It's a great system for bathroom visits >_> There are several games that provide experiences like that - Big Brain Academy, Cooking Mama, Mario vs Donkey Kong 2, Puzzle Quest, Meteos - I've played those all to death.

All the ones I've mentioned plus...heck, there's a lot. I prefer Ouendan 1&2 to EBA, if you're looking to import a lot of games at once ;) Ooh, import Rocket Slime. It's not out here in the UK, but it's a great fun little game if you can lay hands on the US version.

Janson on