As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dota 2] TI3. Look who's comin for dinner!

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    BigKev wrote: »
    So Purge has moved to Korea to form a team with Blitz, Eosin and SexyBamboe. Should be interesting, guess we'll actually find out how good he is.

Huh, wonder if he is still going to do his youtube vods. As long as Chachi isn't joining they should be fine. Korea is probably the weakest area for DoTA2 teams atm I think. North America is tougher especially with like Team Liquid.

Well, his output just about died in the last few months, and a few times on his stream he mentioned it was because they were in the early stages of forming a team and doing lots of scrims. Best of luck to him I guess, but man...the life of a professional dota player has really got too suck, I can't imagine how soul sucking doing nothing but playing dota all day every day would be.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    BigKev wrote: »
    So Purge has moved to Korea to form a team with Blitz, Eosin and SexyBamboe. Should be interesting, guess we'll actually find out how good he is.

Huh, wonder if he is still going to do his youtube vods. As long as Chachi isn't joining they should be fine. Korea is probably the weakest area for DoTA2 teams atm I think. North America is tougher especially with like Team Liquid.

Well, his output just about died in the last few months, and a few times on his stream he mentioned it was because they were in the early stages of forming a team and doing lots of scrims. Best of luck to him I guess, but man...the life of a professional dota player has really got too suck, I can't imagine how soul sucking doing nothing but playing dota all day every day would be.

I just went through his twitter. He won't do commentary on any of the scrims but he will stream a lot more. He was already doing DoTA most of the time all day so I guess the change is he is doing it with a chance to win cash prizes? I wish him luck but hope we don't lose probably the most informative dota poster for new players. His videos are super useful.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BigKevBigKev Registered User regular
    Yeah, i think alot of the reduced output was just organising the move. Hopefully once they get settled his output will pick up again.

Steam ID : BigKev87
    Man Natures Prophet is so much fun. Killing someone with your ult by accident is still one of the best things.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Gotta say I think I'm starting to love Goblak. He's playing a ton of Treant Protector this Star Ladder. And that TP+Veno lane they've run a couple times has been brutal.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Made nearly $5 selling off all those hats and chests that I was never going to do anything with anyway. Someone payed $.50 for a foil steam trading card wtf. Thanks be to Gaben I suppose.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Gaben made like a grand a day off of the transaction fees for winter sale cards alone.

I think Gaben thanks you much more.

Man Veno is fun, so much fun. Not NP fun but really fun. Kind of nice to hold entire teams pushes with just wards and my ult.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Veno is a great hero to play :D he is great in lane with a bristleback

I really don't like NP though, purely and simply because I find rat dota to be a really frustrating way to play the game. Like, it can be really effective I'm not disputing that, it just fucking sucks (IMO) in terms of having a fun game

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    A good rat dota team can be frustrating to play against... but I also get frustrated playing against a team with a better 5 man teamfight... or a team that has a bunch of gankers and can always pick you off. Rat dota is a little different because you can feel like you are winning, but be in a bad spot because of the rats.

Personally, I like it. I like NP because even if the rest of my team is dead, I can still have a pretty big impact on the game. On the other side, I like that there is strategy required to figure out who you need to send back to defend. Also, there is nothing better than setting up an ambush for a dirty rat and shutting him down before he can do anything.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Am I correct in assuming that I cannot see my normal MMR at all ever, and that my Ranked MMR will only become visible to me after my 10 alignment games?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
    edited January 2014
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Am I correct in assuming that I cannot see my normal MMR at all ever, and that my Ranked MMR will only become visible to me after my 10 alignment games?

EDIT: never mind

Albino Bunny on
    Oh... so when people post number likes 3400, what does that refer to? And elsewhere I've seen specific references to people saying their MMR going up or down after a single match - are they just guessing?

edited January 2014
    Won my first ranked game with 16 8 26 as Luna, I'll take that as a good omen. We had a (shock horror) excellent Riki who carried nicely, with me as back-up support, and a really solid KotL.

Spaffy on
    Never mind, I'd just gotten up and thought I was in the League thread. My bad.

edited January 2014
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    A good rat dota team can be frustrating to play against... but I also get frustrated playing against a team with a better 5 man teamfight... or a team that has a bunch of gankers and can always pick you off. Rat dota is a little different because you can feel like you are winning, but be in a bad spot because of the rats.

Personally, I like it. I like NP because even if the rest of my team is dead, I can still have a pretty big impact on the game. On the other side, I like that there is strategy required to figure out who you need to send back to defend. Also, there is nothing better than setting up an ambush for a dirty rat and shutting him down before he can do anything.

Most of the time (in my experience) Rat dota just delays the inevitable. You've already lost the game, but split pushing is going to drag this fucking thing out for 40 minutes, so you do it. Furion is a special case though, where you're chances of winning a lost game go way up if he's farmed. That stupid stupid teleport.

Dark_Side on
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

Most of the time (in my experience) Rat dota just delays the inevitable. You've already lost the game, but split pushing is going to drag this fucking thing out for 40 minutes, so you do it. Furion is a special case though, where you're chances of winning a lost game go way up if he's farmed. That stupid stupid teleport.

I got called out for playing "rat dota" because we were split pushing 2-3 lanes and did not want to team fight. You win games by pushing towers and taking the ancient. Killing your opponents just gives you more room to do that.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Played with friends in a ranked game, captains mode. Tell them which supports I'm strongest with - they choose different support based on their picks. Rubick is not a bad pick, and I'm not awful with rubick - I used to play him a pretty decent amount. I honestly feel like I've been worse with him in the last few months than I was the first year I played him. I think this is the only time I've gotten progressively worse with a hero and goddamn is it frustrating - also everyone and their mom tries to kill rubick right off the bat in a team fight.

Prospicience on
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I would pay $60 for DOTA 2 if they had a filter in it so I didn't play with Brazilian IPs. Forgot how much I liked the war 3 script that auto-booted non US/CA players. Put that in chests and I'd be spending $100/week on keys till I got it.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    New least favourite thing... people 'trying out a new hero' in a ranked match.

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »

I see your picks/bans but don't understand them
    also: what were the lanes?

edited January 2014
    Huh. Went 8 and 2 in my qualification games, with decent scores in most of those and was given a rating of 2360 which I gather is pretty poor. I wonder what they measure to figure that out?

**edit** Never mind I read up a little and think I understand how it works now.

Spaffy on
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    valiance wrote: »

It's a pub and I wasn't drafting, so I cannot explain his thought process. I usually just ask for bear and hope I get it.

We had me top vs Bat, Clock mid vs QoP, DS jungle, and Thrall/Void bot vs Weaver/Abba/Bane. Their trilane rolled over bot and QoP beat Clock mid, both of which are pretty expected. I won top pretty hard though, finished Midas/Radi around 16min and just started split pushing while Void farmed. Ultimately they got fed up and committed to taking bot rax; during which I took top rax, mid rax, and the throne while they were fighting for it. Props to @Euphemon for a 4 man Chrono that canceled 4 TPs.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Huh. Went 8 and 2 in my qualification games, with decent scores in most of those and was given a rating of 2360 which I gather is pretty poor. I wonder what they measure to figure that out?

Despite the fact you've read up on it, the wins you get before hand don't determine your overall score as much as some people think. Your ranking starts from what it was before in your hidden MMR from your unranked games, and as you play your uncertainty goes down, and if you win you will generally gain some MMR. But going 8-2 won't necessarily put you in the 3000 or 4000 range. Winning more games however over time in ranked will do that.

• ShazwinShazwin Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    @Yilias -

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1uhapy/announcing_espl_a_yearlong_league_tournament/

I'd encourage all of you to support this as amateur dota needs a vehicle to get started and I think these guys are extremely ambitious, but doing it the right way. They currently don't have any sponsors or funding outside of 2 people's pockets, which is absurd if you think about it. These guys have an inhouse league, and if you're half decent, you should apply to really hone your skills down. They typically dawn an [ESP] clan tag to their name.

in addition, if you care about pixels, they have a nice courier for purchase in addition to signing up for their replays and casts/whatnot.

http://http://esp.gg/media/images/news-images/Promo-Image.png

It's a stupid name -- Eat, Sleep, Play, but the guys there are really talented, and for the most part friendly/likable guys. They used to have an SEA/AUS division, but they are solely focusing on Battlefield and Dota 2 in NA and in West Europe. They have daily inhouses around 8pm EST, and going to support weekly weekend tournaments in addition to this league (ircc). They have divisions within the community which I don't agree with, but it gives you something to strive for as they host weekly Divisional Inhouses for both regions.

I strongly urge you to apply for the tournament, Yilias. I think you and your team could do fairly well here.

<<Seacrest poster is seacrest

Shazwin on
    edited January 2014
    Doesn't Bat shit on Druid, typically? I'm confused how you crushed him before you hit 5.

EDIT: NVM. Druid typically wins out. I remember how this game works now..

Shazwin on
    Ultimately they got fed up and committed to taking bot rax; during which I took top rax, mid rax, and the throne while they were fighting for it

Oh man...I've seen that happen a few times. It's the worst if you're on the pushing team because you think you can take this rax, and then you get stalled, and that dude is totally on your top rax but you really should be able to just make the trade here, and then the tunnel vision takes hold and you just keep throwing yourselves into the meat grinder, and oh shit dude is on the throne, PORT PORT PORT, but it's toooooo late.

edited January 2014
    It happens all the time because people literally have no idea what they are doing. They just don't know what to do. More often than not, they need someone telling them what to do, else they play idle or go back to whatever it is they know. People like farming, people like killing. People don't know what to do with their farm, and don't know what to do after they kill. As an example, sometimes it's best for a Luna 18 minutes in to push their advantage and 5 man, whereas sometimes its best to completely avoid all confrontation even when ahead and farm their jungle.

Shazwin on
    For all the idea of builds and such DoTA is very much about adapting to your situation and your enemy. Which is why stuff like warding and map awareness are super important. If you can surprise someone with an unknown scythe or a linkens you can turn a fight instantly as well.

Most people fail at this. I know I have multiple times because you have to monitor a whole, your team, the enemy team, farm and make decisions for items that might not come into effect for 10 minutes. If that.

It is why the ceiling of skill is so high because the people who figure this stuff out perfectly are crazy scary and even they aren't perfect.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Well the thing with split push is that you can read the map wrong a bunch of times, and it's not necessarily a disaster. On the other hand, if you're trying to five man push while the furion TPs top and split pushes, if you guess wrong once, you're totally screwed. So it's playing the odds in a way, and punishing miscalculations by the opponent.

Also my game won't launch right now. Which is weird.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    A lot of the miscalculations I see due to split push basically come down to underestimating the fact that most of NP's duel winning items are instant cast, and his trees can fairly well control whether or not you get vision of him to cast your stuff. Late lategame, he requires either a similarly strong autoattacker or a support with a BKB to throw off because you're not going to do much if you get hit by orchid and he's probably going to have that vision before you have range on your CC or nukes.

I ate an engineer
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    I just had a Medusa game where at 17 minutes I had arcane boots and a bloodstone

at one point they tried to split push so I dove their fountain, respawned instantly due to bloodstone charges, then cleared the creep wave at our rax

they couldn't touch me. i even bought the wrong damn item late game and it didn't matter

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
    Ok, I'm confused.

Bloodstone on Medusa seems odd.

Having arcane boots *and* bloodstone seems like an exceptional waste of an energy booster.

I ate an engineer
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Ok, I'm confused.

Having arcane boots *and* bloodstone seems like an exceptional waste of an energy booster.

we were racking up kills so I just went with it. I ended up just being a damage sponge

I'm not a fan of playing Medusa as a hard carry

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Ok, I'm confused.

I am also really confused, but I guess it sounds like it worked.

Also hard carry medusa is pretty much the only way she works. She isn't really built for anything else. I guess it can work... but I can't imagine she's great at it.

• Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I could see going for a bloodstone on a Medusa in a game where you know you will get lots of charges. Think about how fast your mana goes up with that bloodstone and picture 50% of that as HP regen. You would live forever, but I don't know why the enemy team would bother doing anything to you at all if you don't have farm for a damage item.

Side note: I had a dream once where I went blink dagger on Medusa, just so I could blink behind a retreating team, turn them all to stone, then let my all physical damage team clean up.

Ratsult2 on
    I guess Mana Snake isn't bad damage over time for a disruptive fighter, but the problem is that in big fights Mana Snake pays for itself anyway so the regen to spam it seems like overkill.

It's not that the stats are directly worse than what stat-item dusa gets, but I think Bloodstone sails you clear past the point where you still have tons of mana while your health is edging towards zero, and at that point for a defensive item you may as well have just picked up the Linkens to expand your pool and regen to a lesser extent and give yourself/your team protection.

I ate an engineer
    TheGerbil wrote: »

Despite the fact you've read up on it, the wins you get before hand don't determine your overall score as much as some people think. Your ranking starts from what it was before in your hidden MMR from your unranked games, and as you play your uncertainty goes down, and if you win you will generally gain some MMR. But going 8-2 won't necessarily put you in the 3000 or 4000 range. Winning more games however over time in ranked will do that.

Yeah, that's basically it. I've only got about 270 games played and the MMR is based on those too, with the 10 calibrations used to mostly determine my uncertainty rating, I gather? Obviously the first 100 games or so were complete garbage. I only got over a 50% about 30 games ago and have been slowly improving my win rate since then.

I'm not really into using my MMR for epeen battles but more as a barometer for my own improvement.

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    valiance wrote: »

It's a pub and I wasn't drafting, so I cannot explain his thought process. I usually just ask for bear and hope I get it.

We had me top vs Bat, Clock mid vs QoP, DS jungle, and Thrall/Void bot vs Weaver/Abba/Bane. Their trilane rolled over bot and QoP beat Clock mid, both of which are pretty expected. I won top pretty hard though, finished Midas/Radi around 16min and just started split pushing while Void farmed. Ultimately they got fed up and committed to taking bot rax; during which I took top rax, mid rax, and the throne while they were fighting for it. Props to @Euphemon for a 4 man Chrono that canceled 4 TPs.

yeah I didn't see any way those lanes worked out or made sense. gj winning your lane (and the game). I always try to figure out drafts when I see them but sometimes the answer is just "cap had no idea what was going on"

This discussion has been closed.