As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PbP] 13th Age: Darskye-fall: Into the Wild Wood

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I was thinking cleric, because it's more or less my default class, but I'm happy to branch out

maybe a fighter or a ranger?

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna wait until tomorrow to put much more thought into mine. Need to sleep on it. Then see what others are doing.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    I was thinking cleric, because it's more or less my default class, but I'm happy to branch out

maybe a fighter or a ranger?

If you want cleric, that's cool too, I have a lot of half-done concepts rattling around in my head and can easily do whatever. Your call.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
    I'm actually looking at a halfling ranger with some kind of river bird as an animal companion

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Pick a goose. geese are fearsome asshole beasts

geese are loud and smelly and gross

thinking about an osprey

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I feel like this game is going to be light-hearted satire looking at Proof. I'm going to do my rogue up in the same way.

Also, I'm going to roll my stats like a real man. Cause that's how I roll.

Geth roll 6#4d6k3 for GREATNESS!

Edit: One low stat. I can dig it!

GREATNESS!:
    6#4d6k3 6 # 16 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 5], 5] 12 [4d6k3=[4, 4, 4], 3] 12 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 1], 1] 12 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 3], 3] 15 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 4], 1] 8 [4d6k3=[4, 2, 2], 2]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I am totally ok with lighthearted, or grimdark, or anywhere in between. Whatever works best for you all :)

Looks like we just need a vote from @jdarksun (either choose to do point buy, or roll 6#4d6k3) and then we can get into classes and races and such

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Minion, roll 6#4d6k3 for Ability scores and don't fuck this one up

Ability scores and:
    6#4d6k3 6 # 18 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 6], 4] 9 [4d6k3=[5, 2, 2], 1] 14 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 4], 1] 15 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 4], 2] 13 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 3], 2] 17 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 5], 4]

edited January 2014
    Right! Well, it would seem that we have all of our stats taken care of in one manner or another.
    Next step is to make mans! (or womans.)

Classes:
    Supplemental classes after wall of asterisks. Only one of each supplemental allowed.
    Barbarian
    *Straighforward and easy to play. Doesn't get new powers every level. Relies on class talents for extra 'oomph'

Bard
    *Flexible, with many options for roleplaying and combat. Good for an experienced or extroverted players who enjoy mastering different abilities and want to be a jack of all trades

Cleric
    *Shape each battle using your invocations, though the choice of which to use may not always be clear. Good for a multitasker-type person

Fighter
    *Flexible character. You decide who to attack, roll, and then figure out which move to use thanks to your flexible attacks

Paladin
    *Doesn't get new powers every level. Can augment attacks using class talents. Can branch out into clerical abilities or spellcasting if desired.

Ranger
    *Doesn't get new powers every level. Can use DEX or STR for melee attacks. Can get a companion animal.

Rogue
    *Sneak attacks require coordination with others. Momentum powers depend on you hitting and dodging. Requires some skillz (with a z!) and luck.

Sorcerer
    *You tap into the power of the icons with or without their permission. Rename your spells if you want! Customize it up! You're self taught, after all. Play this class if you can handle dice swinginess

Wizard
    *Good for those who like improv. Most spells are only once-per-day things. Lots of flexibility based on talent choices.

Stalwart
    *Strong and durable. Requires some more in-depth management. Powers depend on hitting, and not being hit.

Vanguard
    *Heavy melee class. Powers are fueled by 'resolve'.

Elementalist
    *Manipulate the battlefield and your party's abilities with your powers. Recommended for more advanced players

Eldritch Knight
    *Melee and magic hybrid. Ratios of the hybrid really up to you!

Races: +2 to ONE of the abilities listed
    Only one of each Optional race allowed
    Human - +2 to any ability, +1 feat
    *Quick to Fight ->At the start of each battle, roll initiative twice and choose the result you want.

Dwarf - +2 CON/WIS
    *That’s Your Best Shot? -> Once per battle as a free action after you have been hit by an enemy attack, you can heal using a recovery. If the escalation die is less than 2, you only get half the usual healing from the recovery. Unlike other recoveries that might allow you to take an average result, you have to roll this one!

Dark Elf - +2 DEX/CHA
    *Heritage of the Sword -> If you can already use swords that deal d6 and d8 damage without attack penalties, you gain a +2 damage bonus with them. (This bonus doesn’t increase miss damage.) Otherwise, if your class would ordinarily have an attack penalty with such swords, you can now use them without penalties.

High Elf - +2 INT/CHA
    *Highblood Teleport -> Once per battle as a move action, place yourself in a nearby location you can see.

Wood Elf - +2 DEX/WIS
    *Elven Grace -> At the start of each of your turns, roll a die to see if you get an extra standard action. If your roll is equal to or lower than the escalation die, you get an extra standard action that turn. At the start of battle, you roll a d6. Each time you successfully gain an extra action, the size of the die you roll increases by one step on the following progression: d6, d8, d10, d12, d20. If you get an extra action after rolling a d20, you can’t get any more extra actions that battle.

Gnome - +2 DEX/INT
    *Small -> Gnomes have a +2 AC bonus against opportunity attacks.
    *Confounding -> Once per battle, when you roll a natural 16+ with an attack, you can also daze the target until the end of your next turn.

Half-Elf - +2 CON/CHA
    *Surprising -> Once per battle, subtract one from the natural result of one of your own d20 rolls.

Half-Orc - +2 STR/DEX
    *Lethal -> Once per battle, reroll a melee attack and use the roll you prefer as the result.

Halfling - +2 CON/DEX
    *Small -> Halflings have a +2 AC bonus against opportunity attacks.
    *Evasive -> Once per battle, force an enemy that hits you with an attack to reroll the attack with a –2 penalty.

Dragonspawn - +2 STR/CHA
    *Breath Weapon -> Once per battle, make a close-quarters breath weapon attack as a quick action using your highest ability score against one nearby enemy’s Physical Defense. On a hit, the attack deals 1d6 damage per your level of an energy type that makes sense for your character.

Holy One - +2 WIS/CHA
    *Halo -> Once per battle as a free action during your turn, gain a +2 bonus to all defenses until you are hit by an attack (or until the battle ends).

Dwarf Forged - +2 STR/CON
    *Never Say Die -> Whenever you drop to 0 hp or below, roll a normal save if you have a recovery available. On an 11+, instead of falling unconscious, you stay on your feet and can heal using a recovery. Add the recovery hit points to 0 hp to determine your hp total.

Tiefling - +2 STR/INT Claimed by BSS
    *Curse of Chaos -> Once per battle as a free action when a nearby enemy rolls a natural 1–5 on an attack or a save, turn their roll into a natural 1 and improvise a further curse that shows how their attempt backfires horribly. A curse should have about the same impact as a typical once-per-battle ability. For example, a typical curse might lead to the cursed attacker dealing half damage to themself with their fumbled attack and being dazed until the end of their next turn. The GM may reward storytelling flair and/or limit the suggested effects of the curse.

Erin The Red on
    *BSS - whatever/caster... support cleric
    *Jdarksun
    *Tox - melee (half-orc paladin, tiefling fighter or barbarian, wood elf bard). no humans allowed.
    *Oats - dwarf drunken sorcerer
    *Grunt's Ghosts - Rogue
    *Killroy - cleric, fighter, or ranger. halfling ranger?

Hey TRV, what about Eldritch Knight? With stats like those, I'm leaning towards something outlandish. Maybe Dragonic or Steelborn Eldritch Knight. Maybe some sort of clockwork servant of the GGW designed to slay the abominations that slip through from the Abyss. In a titanic battle with some ancient terror, the device was sundered, and a few of the pieces have reassembled themselves into its current configuration. Thought lost and its purpose forgotten, even it is not quite sure what once drove it. If it can find that which is missing, perhaps it would one day remember...

edited January 2014
    After some deliberation, you guys CAN use some of the supplemental classes, but ONLY the ones linked in the OP. If you find another one you'd like to use, please do the following:
    *Send me a link to the class (must be posted on the pelgrane press page somewhere)

Erin The Red on
    edited January 2014
    poast maek!

Erin The Red on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    @jdarksun Looks like he gives it the thumbs up in the OP.

Supplemental classes have been given the OK with asterisks.
    Must be posted on the Pelgrane Press site.
    I've got 4 available ones on the OP. Also in the class list further up this page.
    If you come across another one you want to use, link me to it in a PM and I can pass down divine judgement upon your wishes.

I am now thinking about maybe a Forgeborn Elementalist.

An ancient dwarven king, reborn of metal, stone, and thunder.

Just remember, only one of each of the optionals is allowed. Those are supposed to be super rare things in the world. So yeah. If you want it, lock it in! BSS called dibs on a tiefling

edited January 2014
    I should also add, that flowchart is the best because the only thing that leads to being a rogue is "the ornate crenellations of a brothel roof."

Oats on
    Also weaving a rope out of bedsheets!

after sleeping on it, I've decided I'm definitely going halfling ranger

No matter what I do, my path always leads to rogue. Would a Kleptomaniac be too much for my one unique thing?

In my opinion that's too little for a one unique thing. You know you must steal because of a curse on your bloodline, if you don't you will end up summoning some terrible blight upon the world. Maybe the Prince of Shadows and the Diabolist got tipsy one night...

Maybe I just like nuts OUTs though. :)

They do make for more fun, big wacky OUTs. In the other game my character is basically the Diabolist and the Elf Queen getting tipsy one night...

Small isn't a problem though, it just may be one fewer plot hook.

Yeah, nothing wrong with a more standard OUT if that's what you're comfortable with. Just don't be afraid to go big either.

edited January 2014
    No matter what I do, my path always leads to rogue. Would a Kleptomaniac be too much for my one unique thing?
    You can be a klepto if you are so inclined, but beware you may end up making enemies in the party! Haha. Feel free to go big! Just do so in a way that doesn't grant you any in-combat advantages. You cant have laser vision, or the ability to throw people with your mind or anything.
    I'm sure there are plenty of kleptomaniacs in the world. You want something that really sets your character apart from the other people of his race, and other fellow rogues.

If you want to go with kleptomaniac, that is a-ok, however.

I had a bard who was cursed with a metal arm after he got caught stealing from the three.
    I also had a human wizard who was by all outward appearances a kobold due to the fact that someone tampered with a disguise self spell.

Here are some samples from the book:
    • I am the oldest elf in the world
    • i am the bastard son of the emperor
    • i am a deathless pirate whose soul is trapped in a gem controlled by the Blue
    • i hear pain as music
    • i am the reincarnation of an ancient icon. I don't know which one, though
    • I am the only human to be called into the dwarven priesthood
    • the stars sing to me. somtetimes they tell me things, and sometimes those things are true.

Erin The Red on
    edited January 2014
    bss wrote: »
    In my opinion that's too little for a one unique thing. You know you must steal because of a curse on your bloodline, if you don't you will end up summoning some terrible blight upon the world. Maybe the Prince of Shadows and the Diabolist got tipsy one night...

Maybe I just like nuts OUTs though. :)

Could go along with the origins of the halflings, which is something of debate, even among the halflings. I'll think about it.

Edit: How about "I am a Kleptomaniac, cursed by a Diabolist follower to always feel the need to steal. It's caused my legal fees with the Thieves Guild to be sky high."

Grunt's Ghosts on
    Just a random question, when it is talking about the starting equipment for Rogues, is the 1d8 dagger for melee the same 1d4 dagger for range?

Note that we’re not talking metaphorically in the first
    sentence above: rogues deal as much damage with daggers and
    shortswords as fighters deal with longswords

edited January 2014
    Although it seems odd that they'd get that big of a bump to melee damage but nothing to ranged.

I would probably houserule that your dagger weapon die is the same as whatever you roll for sneak attack (d6, unless you take the Imp Sneak Attack talent, then d8). But that might be too powerful, and adding the extra incentive makes that talent even harder to resist.

Tox on
    Just a random question, when it is talking about the starting equipment for Rogues, is the 1d8 dagger for melee the same 1d4 dagger for range?

Correct. I'd say you may want to take up different ranged weapon if you were thinking about doing some more ranged damage than the d4s. Also, throwing your close-range weapons at folks could lead to some comical panic moments> Rogues are good at pinpointing weak spots and really getting the dagger in and giving it that vicious twist, which isn't as easily accomplished when throwing it.

Correct. I'd say you may want to take up different ranged weapon if you were thinking about doing some more ranged damage than the d4s. Also, throwing your close-range weapons at folks could lead to some comical panic moments> Rogues are good at pinpointing weak spots and really getting the dagger in and giving it that vicious twist, which isn't as easily accomplished when throwing it.

It's mainly just a "Oh Shit" moment idea. I might get some proper throwing daggers latter, depending on whose pockets I pick later. I just thought it was odd/cool that the dagger damage die dropped from d8 to d4 when thrown.

If you guys edit your character sheets into an old post, or whenever you make a new post with your stuff on it, please make sure to @ me. I have Oats' down. I think that's the only one so far, right?

You can be a klepto if you are so inclined, but beware you may end up making enemies in the party! Haha. Feel free to go big! Just do so in a way that doesn't grant you any in-combat advantages. You cant have laser vision, or the ability to throw people with your mind or anything.
    I'm sure there are plenty of kleptomaniacs in the world. You want something that really sets your character apart from the other people of his race, and other fellow rogues.

If you want to go with kleptomaniac, that is a-ok, however.

I had a bard who was cursed with a metal arm after he got caught stealing from the three.
    I also had a human wizard who was by all outward appearances a kobold due to the fact that someone tampered with a disguise self spell.

Here are some samples from the book:
    • I am the oldest elf in the world
    • i am the bastard son of the emperor
    • i am a deathless pirate whose soul is trapped in a gem controlled by the Blue
    • i hear pain as music
    • i am the reincarnation of an ancient icon. I don't know which one, though
    • I am the only human to be called into the dwarven priesthood
    • the stars sing to me. somtetimes they tell me things, and sometimes those things are true.

You missed the funniest example: "I am literally full of demons."

Supplemental classes have been given the OK with asterisks.
    I meant specifically about the one I was considering:
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Hey TRV, what about Eldritch Knight? With stats like those, I'm leaning towards something outlandish. Maybe Dragonic or Steelborn Eldritch Knight. Maybe some sort of clockwork servant of the GGW designed to slay the abominations that slip through from the Abyss. In a titanic battle with some ancient terror, the device was sundered, and a few of the pieces have reassembled themselves into its current configuration. Thought lost and its purpose forgotten, even it is not quite sure what once drove it. If it can find that which is missing, perhaps it would one day remember...

Eldritch Knight is one of the available classes, yes.